gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:30:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: swdstudyvideos.com (suspended)  (Read 41952 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

Slower to apologize than pancake batter.
More girth than a locomotive,
Able to leap rat feces in a single bound!

Look! Down in the dumpster! It's a raccoon, it's a snake, it's Super Researcher!!
Yes, it's Super Researcher, strange being from somewhere around Mars who sadly plumetted to Earth with a solar system sized ego
and self acclaimed powers beyond those of mortal Beach Boys fans.
Super researcher, who can change the course of honest reporting, and bend the truth to his liking.
And who, disguised as someone who was there at every Beach Boy discussion and recording session,
fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

Sigh what did he say this time?

Maybe it was just me but seemed that him(Bellagio) and his buddy Manning were raking Steve over the coals.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »

Good grief

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

Look! Down in the dumpster! It's a raccoon, it's a snake, it's Super Researcher!!
Yes, it's Super Researcher, strange being from somewhere around Mars who sadly plumetted to Earth with a solar system sized ego
Super researcher, who can change the course of honest reporting, and bend the truth to his liking.
And who, disguised as someone who was there at every Beach Boy discussion and recording session,
fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

Maybe it was just me but seemed that him(Bellagio) and his buddy Manning were raking Steve over the coals.

I saw Mr. Doe interrogating Stephen over the articles concerning the cassettes. No sense of decorum on the matter, just trying to act the big guy by trying to show how much of a 'researcher' he is.  In fact a few of them come off in that thread as pretty entitled, most of whom won't even know the story. Some fans, no matter how knowledgeable they they believe themselves to be are not always 'owed' the explanation that they demand, especially when said person has already replied to the topic at hand. Not letting things go without serious interrogation can become pretty arrogant quickly, and it happens on the internet far too often. It's fine to want to know what the truth is but at some point when an opinion has been hammered enough time's you have to let it go, honestly. It's certainly disrespectful to act so entitled to a guy that's a key figurehead in The Beach Boys story, could you imagine someone talking that arrogantly to Al or Blondie on a music forum?

Someone who regards themselves as such a huge fan should show more respect. (But then again, AGD's got history of talking rather poorly regarding friends/family of the BB's, hasn't he?)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:42:52 AM by SamMcK » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2018, 02:33:12 AM »

Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2018, 04:40:56 AM »

AGD has gone after me (Melinda Wilson rumors) in the past. Guy is a relentless POS and I support Mr. Desper 100 percent in his work of a FREE online book!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

Future "Fear to Stop" hidden track? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »

I should pull a Henry Rollins and do a spoken word track lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »

Album cover will be your picture of Doe’s book in the trash! Wink

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »

What is this thread about?

Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »

Album cover will be your picture of Doe’s book in the trash! Wink

LOL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

Let's please not go that direction of ongoing other-board or ex-member bashing. Please?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »

Sorry Cap... Undecided

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »

Let's please not go that direction of ongoing other-board or ex-member bashing. Please?

Oh, I don't think there's any real problem with that Cap. They do it to this board every once in awhile and really, who cares? As long as there are no death threats, stabbings, or shootings, I think it's all very silly, but fun in a kind of competitive way.  Smokin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »

You’re right. Doe for me is different because it has nothing to do with anything to do with the board but as far as other members, I agree. I’ll drop it publicly.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2018, 12:44:02 AM »

I mean you go from having this amazing video put up, to arguing about it, to sadness about it leaving, to people just being angry at each other. Beach boys history is an ever ongoing cycle  LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2018, 01:56:08 AM »

Highly disenchanted dissing of Steve at the Hoffman board this afternoon by "Researcher Man" Doe.  Roll Eyes

fights a neverending battle for himself, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston and the fake Beach Boys Touring Group.  Evil

I saw Mr. Doe interrogating Stephen over the articles concerning the cassettes. No sense of decorum on the matter, just trying to act the big guy by trying to show how much of a 'researcher' he is.  In fact a few of them come off in that thread as pretty entitled, most of whom won't even know the story. Some fans, no matter how knowledgeable they they believe themselves to be are not always 'owed' the explanation that they demand, especially when said person has already replied to the topic at hand. Not letting things go without serious interrogation can become pretty arrogant quickly, and it happens on the internet far too often. It's fine to want to know what the truth is but at some point when an opinion has been hammered enough time's you have to let it go, honestly. It's certainly disrespectful to act so entitled to a guy that's a key figurehead in The Beach Boys story, could you imagine someone talking that arrogantly to Al or Blondie on a music forum?

Someone who regards themselves as such a huge fan should show more respect. (But then again, AGD's got history of talking rather poorly regarding friends/family of the BB's, hasn't he?)
I haven't seen the messages, so I can't speak to how he handled it, but what Doe says is fact and can be backed up as such.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »

I think we can all agree that we'd be thrilled to get a clearer sense of the genesis of SOS based on Stephen's testimony and Craig's descriptions from the other thread that I reprinted here. I don't know if that's possible, but perhaps some additional tapes will eventually surface to clarify at least part of the story.

As for my comment about grey areas of listening, I was referring to laymen, not to professional engineers with virtually daily access to and intimate knowledge of the band members, their creative efforts, and their vocals.

Another unfortunate aspect of Andrew's approach to things is that he might well have be able to coax additional home studio information from Stephen with less "confrontational energy." Regardless of our (apparently collective) opinion of his personality and other related "antics," the Bellagio site is still a valuable resource and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I'm sure I'm part of a universal contingent that includes everyone who participated in this thread that hopes Stephen will finish his book and that he'll either obtain a publisher or, absent that, be open to receiving funding from those who revere his work and are fascinated by his recollections of what is arguably the band's (as opposed to Brian's) most creative efforts.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »

COMMENT  (as of October 18, 2018)

I have taken down the entire website until further notice. The reason is that the terms of using the website, as clearly defined on page one, have been violated. By going to page two, the user agrees to the terms of page one.

In those terms the viewer agrees that mistakes or errors may exist, however carefully the contents are checked for accuracy. In a civil discourse a simple statement of disagreement would be sufficient, but the ensuing bullying has become relentless and completely out-of-control. The terms have been violated. As stated, if the terms are violated, I “will personally take down the website.”

My website is (was) provided free of charge to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of its content and who abides by the rules set forth. Some “fans” seem to have forgotten that I pay for the website and for housing all the study-videos on Vimeo. Their response to a statement I made concerning a mix I did of Sail On, Sailor (SOS) has been twisted into a statement I did not make. All my website says is that Carl Wilson sang on the a cappello segment provided. I have never said that Blondie Chaplin did not sing the lead on SOS. In fact I have stated the opposite.

These twisted statements plus other negative comments of some fans are now appearing on other web forums as fact. Such ridicule puts my website in jeopardy since it exists, by way of the Fair Use Doctrine, at the courtesy of BRI and Capitol. These false statements imply that I am questioning the integrity of BRI, which I am not.

It is unfortunate that a few fans have made a mockery of my good name by focusing on one item, thus overshadowing the original intent of my book as a source of engineering technique and Beach Boy memories of 46 years ago.

After taking time away from equipment development, neurological research and my home life, to satisfy the requests from fans to publish the second part of my book, I am sorry that I must now close my website and re-group. I realize this ends access to all the study-videos and books that the majority of fans appreciate, but I cannot let a few belligerent fans endanger the website. Access to the website will remain closed until I determine when it is safe to republish.

Creating equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur !

~Stephen W. Desper  

Embarrassed

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2018, 02:24:31 AM »

I'm very sorry to read this, Stephen. Thanks for all your work and information you shared with those great study videos. As I've mentioned before, to watch your videos and read your comments made me feel like being part of the actual recording process, even though I wasn't even born when the sessions happened. It was a lot of fun!

Vielen herzlichen Dank!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2018, 02:54:10 AM »

I posted this on the Desper Thread in Honoured Guests, but I'll post it here too:

Mr Desper,

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had to close down your study video pages, what a shame. Sadly, the world is full of idiots, and one just has to accept that it always will be. I hope you won't take to heart the stupid comments, and rest assured that the vast majority of us here do read your comments thoroughly, don't make stupid interpretations, and do really value your wisdom and the efforts you've put in to share the music of the Beach Boys.

I hope one day the time will again be right for you to put your excellent site back online so together we can continue the wonderful musical odyssey that is appreciation of the Beach Boys.

Best wishes,

Brother John

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Til...I...@died
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »

Sorry to see this new turn of events. I was absent from the bickering. Steve, you are one of the few people on the planet with great insight into my favorite topic. I do hope the book gets finished and at some point the study videos can be available to view. Why any true fan would jeopardize our access to this by bickering is beyond me. I’m greatful to have had one full listen before this happened. Desper is a treasure and the rules he asks us to follow are minimal and necessary.

I felt the need to post to show that there are many here who may seldom post, but still read the content and appreciate the contributions, particularly from those who where close to the band at some point. Thanks for every word, Steve.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:47:14 AM by Til...I...@died » Logged
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »

I'm generally pretty shocked and offended by the celebrity-worshipping, anti-facts tone of much of this thread. When the claims of a participant contradict things that are established, proven, on the record, it is our responsibility as music historians to ask why. That is all.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

I'm generally pretty shocked and offended by the celebrity-worshipping, anti-facts tone of much of this thread. When the claims of a participant contradict things that are established, proven, on the record, it is our responsibility as music historians to ask why. That is all.

So how is the museum doing,  Historian Linusoli?   LOL

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »

"When the claims of a participant contradict things that are established, proven, on the record, it is our responsibility as music historians to ask why. That is all."

I've never heard a phrase of such pompous, self righteous wind-bag blather like that ever before.  That is all?  That is enough!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:31:06 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

This thread is exhausting to read and the facts couldn't be more difficult to reach thanks to various distortions of what Desper and others actually wrote. The facts are quite simple. First, a link to the Hoffman thread (since everybody's referenced without linking it). Now, a basic summary:

- Yes, disputing whether Desper's cassette contains a performance of Carl Wilson singing is beating a dead horse. But in one of his last posts, Desper acknowledged that the vocal tracks of his cassette and the single were identical. This was proven by synchronizing the tracks together. He knows they're the same performance.

To prove it was Blondie some inquiring and cleaver fans had taken the a cappello mix to a place I never envisioned. Using a computer they compared the a cappella version with the released version and found that they were in sync – or the same track – proving my track was mislabeled and the singer was mis-identified.

- In spite of this, only a couple sentences later, he wrote that he has "no doubt" that Blondie (1973) sings on the final mix and that Carl (1971) sings on the cassette he digitized. No further scrutinization is necessary. Whether you consider Desper a reliable source rests on your belief of the supernatural. As he concluded:

What we have here is a visit to the Twilight Zone. Another Rock & Roll mystery that until understood, will always be an enigma.

- On the Hoffman thread, it was suggested that Desper provide a photograph of his cassette to prove its date of manufacturing. Instead, he gave more anecdotal evidence (since it'd been serving him so well thus far):

The song list is by my hand, but the handwriting on the holder’s spine and the cassette itself is by an assistant, whose handwriting I recognize (it's rather distinct). He spells A Capella with one “p” and a capital “A.” No big deal except that he moved to Mexico in 1971, died soon thereafter, so that confirms the date of the cassette for me.

Confirmed for him.

Personally, I had a question that he promised to address in the study video. It wasn't. And I think that video ran for over 2 hours. It could have easily been presented on his website via text with links to the separate audio portions. The fans would also (presumably) still have access to the information since the written text itself is not bound by copyright. Why a more accessible option wasn't taken, I guess, is yet another "rock and roll mystery".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:07:02 PM by terrei » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx