gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:50:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 209677 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »

Received an email today for presale for Baltimore show...yes, it's all back up and running. No tickets under $100...no thanks!
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »

Dang that stinks - was hoping Baltimore would be more affordable - I'm not close but saw the show in Ohio has seats as low as $20...

Received an email today for presale for Baltimore show...yes, it's all back up and running. No tickets under $100...no thanks!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »

Dang that stinks - was hoping Baltimore would be more affordable - I'm not close but saw the show in Ohio has seats as low as $20...

I had 2nd row seats at Montgomery College for $10 each in 2015. No way am I paying triple digits four years later for a show I've seen three times since.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:13:40 AM by RubberSoul13 » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

A new PS date:
Aug. 11 -- Cuyahoga Falls, OH -- Blossom Music Center, with the Blossom Festival Orchestra
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »

Why do so many people on this board pretend that Brian live is good? This guy shouldn't be out on tour-the video's I've seen are really of a guy who seems almost forced to be participating in a show...
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »

Why do so many people on this board pretend that Brian live is good? This guy shouldn't be out on tour-the video's I've seen are really of a guy who seems almost forced to be participating in a show...

He has an incredible band playing and singing the music he wrote, and I've never been anything less than blown away after seeing him in concert. Sure, Brian doesn't sound the same as he did back in '65 and he isn't always engaged 100%, but just being in his presence while his music comes alive around him is an excellent experience that has always been worth the money

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 06:49:11 AM »

NPP tour I saw in 2015 begs to differ Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:50:13 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 05:49:18 AM »

I agree, Brian was in great form and I felt I got my money's worth in 2015 when I saw him on the NPP tour.

I saw Brian late last year, dragging out Pet Sounds "one more time" and decided I would never pay to see him, again. I'm hoping Al brings his solo tour within driving distance--he was still in great voice.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »

Added a 6/14 "Greatest Hits" show to the top post schedule.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »

Absolutely. I saw Brian (with Al and Blondie) in 2015 and it was amazing. Absolutely wonderful show.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

That was SOME show, huh? Brian was incredible!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »

Redondo Beach, CA??!??!?!   what the hell is Redondo Beach, CA?HuhHuh?? Wink

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »

I just got an email from the Burlington VE jazz festival.  Brian is playing June 9, 2019.

Brian Wilson

Pet Sounds: The Final Performances

Sunday, June 9

Flynn MainStage

EXCLUSIVE PRE-SALE for Friends of Discover Jazz starts TODAY at 10am. Tickets go on sale to the public Friday, March 22 AT 10AM.

To become a Friend and instantly receive the Friends-only pre-sale promo, visit discoverjazz.com/friends.  Support over 100 hours of free live music and the festival’s music education programs, become a Friend of Discover Jazz today.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »

Let's get the Love You shows going!
Can you imagine Brian walking out and opening with Let Us Go On This Way? And the worse his vocals sounded the better it would be...
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

that is almost true
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »

So you're basing your opinion of these shows on tinny sounding videos made by a microphone/camera as small as a grain of rice, which is then uploaded in a lossy format to youtube, and probably listened to on speakers the size of two grains of rice on your phone?

In person these shows are phenomenal...his backing band helps immensely even when Brian isn't on point for a few songs. Is Brian the 23 year old kid we hear on the records? Heck no, and he hasn't been since he was 23. His voice has changed every year of his existence, it's been ravaged by years of smoking and drug use, and he is now 76 yet still out there putting on a show. We're beyond lucky we can still see him perform, and I think most fans know what they're getting into when they buy tickets.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »

So you're basing your opinion of these shows on tinny sounding videos made by a microphone/camera as small as a grain of rice, which is then uploaded in a lossy format to youtube, and probably listened to on speakers the size of two grains of rice on your phone?

In person these shows are phenomenal...his backing band helps immensely even when Brian isn't on point for a few songs. Is Brian the 23 year old kid we hear on the records? Heck no, and he hasn't been since he was 23. His voice has changed every year of his existence, it's been ravaged by years of smoking and drug use, and he is now 76 yet still out there putting on a show. We're beyond lucky we can still see him perform, and I think most fans know what they're getting into when they buy tickets.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!  Right on, Rab!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »

Honestly, has anyone heard Brian's band sound less than spectacular? I know they're terribly self-critical and some fans grab comments from them with that modesty and say they had a bad night. Brian has physical challenges these days, but performs anyway. My last experience about 4 months ago, he sang less, but better. Someone I respect here on the Board was at the same show and was disappointed that Brian didn't smile and engage the audience. I'm sorry I forget about, and don't notice those things. I realize some fans really want that.  Brian may or may not smile at you (but the band will engage), and there will be wonderful music at the show. I guess I don't understand the problem. If you want to see Brian and band, buy a ticket. If you don't, don't buy a ticket. I think that's pretty simple.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »

Honestly, has anyone heard Brian's band sound less than spectacular? I know they're terribly self-critical and some fans grab comments from them with that modesty and say they had a bad night. Brian has physical challenges these days, but performs anyway. My last experience about 4 months ago, he sang less, but better. Someone I respect here on the Board was at the same show and was disappointed that Brian didn't smile and engage the audience. I'm sorry I forget about, and don't notice those things. I realize some fans really want that.  Brian may or may not smile at you (but the band will engage), and there will be wonderful music at the show. I guess I don't understand the problem. If you want to see Brian and band, buy a ticket. If you don't, don't buy a ticket. I think that's pretty simple.

Yes, Deb, OR, stop with the complaining and criticism of Brian and if you're into tribute bands, go see myKe luHv's fake BB's and tell me how great it was to not see Brian Wilson and his incredible band. Oh, I forgot, luHv thinks he's a legend too.  Razz

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »

Added 6/7 and 6/9 dates to the top post schedule.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39:16 AM »

What does it mean that some of the dates are listed "with Nashville Symphony" or other orchestras? Will they have a whole string section on retainer in addition to Brian's full band?
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »

I just bought my tickets for the Aug. 11 date in Ohio. Feeling giddy!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »

What does it mean that some of the dates are listed "with Nashville Symphony" or other orchestras? Will they have a whole string section on retainer in addition to Brian's full band?

The ones with orchestras are Pet Sounds shows, primarily concerts rescheduled as a result of Brian's surgery last year.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »

Regarding the shows notated as including an orchestra, it seems pretty self-explanatory. For those particular gigs, a local orchestra will be a part of the show. They're not on retainer as if they're tagging along on the whole tour. It's just a local orchestra added to the show.

I would imagine the BW tour operation still has all the charts from the 2000 PS symphonic shows, and in isolated cases where a local venue/promoter wants to integrate a full orchestra into the show, they can accommodate that.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the orchestra will only play during the PS set, or during the entire show. I would guess mostly just the PS set, and then maybe a few other bits (I honestly can't remember where the orchestra came in on those 2000 PS shows beyond PS itself and the opening overture bit; the 2000 show I saw was one of the rare ones without an orchestra, and I actually thought PS sounded better without the orchestra honestly).

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2019, 12:23:41 AM »

As a fan of the band I just don’t see how anyone could pass up an opportunity to see Brian play. The music is amazing even when performed on a bad night, but I’ve never seen a bad show. Every time I’ve seen Brian’s band, they have been phenomenal thru some bad nights on Brian’s part, and some good nights too.

Everyone always goes on about the bad nights like this wasn’t a guy who spent 3 years in bed due to mental illness. Seeing him when he’s “on” just makes that all the better. I saw him pull out a song they had performed just once in rehearsal. Shaky as hell, but really fun. Especially Brian yelling into his mic “TURN MY PIANO UP” and then pounding at his keys to make sure he was loud and in at the front of the mix. Good times.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx