gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:37:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340500 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 21, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »

That hotel bar... Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »

I saw them in Fort Myers last night for the second time (previous visit was the December 2016 Xmas show) and would say:

Positives - I thought Brian Eichenberger was excellent on Don't Worry Baby. I loved the arrangement of In My Room and I think Bruce still does Disney Girls pretty well. The rhythm section is great and John Cowsill really pounds out those beats. Randy Leago plays a mean sax. Nine musicians on stage means you always get plenty of volume, but Totten also brings some subtlety to the arrangements (In My Room being the supreme example).

Neutral - Mike and Bruce deserve to be cut some slack at their age. Their voices are surviving better than Brian's, which was totally shot in Xmas show I saw. Exposing themselves to Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring a capella takes some balls, although Eichenberger carries that song to a large degree.

Negatives - Mike's solo stuff, which nobody wanted to hear, and the very ordinary lead of his son Christian on God Only Knows. Jeff's absence (which Mike didn't even acknowledge) affected some tunes such as 'Surfer Girl'. The setlist was predictably no-risk so we didn't even get Heroes and Villains. Mike is still milking 'Pisces Brother' and Pet Sounds 50th like he was in Dec 16, and I felt there was a subtext to his highlighting that Carl W and George Harrison both died from lung cancer (why mention it?).

Mike's movement - yes, he's down to a shuffle and I can foresee him needing more breaks like the one he takes during Disney Girls. Bruce is not doing much on the keyboards AFAIK (more of a prop these days?).

I thought it was worth the night out but I doubt I will need to see the band again, whereas Brian's band remains essential even if he's mostly just sitting there, provided he still wants to be sitting there.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 27, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »

Bruce's keyboard has been a prop for forty years.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 27, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »

I saw them in Fort Myers last night for the second time (previous visit was the December 2016 Xmas show) and would say:

Positives - I thought Brian Eichenberger was excellent on Don't Worry Baby. I loved the arrangement of In My Room and I think Bruce still does Disney Girls pretty well. The rhythm section is great and John Cowsill really pounds out those beats. Randy Leago plays a mean sax. Nine musicians on stage means you always get plenty of volume, but Totten also brings some subtlety to the arrangements (In My Room being the supreme example).

Neutral - Mike and Bruce deserve to be cut some slack at their age. Their voices are surviving better than Brian's, which was totally shot in Xmas show I saw. Exposing themselves to Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring a capella takes some balls, although Eichenberger carries that song to a large degree.

Negatives - Mike's solo stuff, which nobody wanted to hear, and the very ordinary lead of his son Christian on God Only Knows. Jeff's absence (which Mike didn't even acknowledge) affected some tunes such as 'Surfer Girl'. The setlist was predictably no-risk so we didn't even get Heroes and Villains. Mike is still milking 'Pisces Brother' and Pet Sounds 50th like he was in Dec 16, and I felt there was a subtext to his highlighting that Carl W and George Harrison both died from lung cancer (why mention it?).

Mike's movement - yes, he's down to a shuffle and I can foresee him needing more breaks like the one he takes during Disney Girls. Bruce is not doing much on the keyboards AFAIK (more of a prop these days?).

I thought it was worth the night out but I doubt I will need to see the band again, whereas Brian's band remains essential even if he's mostly just sitting there, provided he still wants to be sitting there.

Wait...how long have I been out of the loop...Brian Eichenberger's back and Foskett's gone?Huh
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 27, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »

I assumed Bruce's keyboard was a prop but this is what I was told by Scott Totten ...

"Bruce's keyboard is always on.  His keyboard is the main sound in DARLIN and the chorus and bridge of VIBES."
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

I assumed Bruce's keyboard was a prop but this is what I was told by Scott Totten ...

"Bruce's keyboard is always on.  His keyboard is the main sound in DARLIN and the chorus and bridge of VIBES."

Holy crap, man!!! He must be worn out after having all that responsibility! What a farce.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

Wait...how long have I been out of the loop...Brian Eichenberger's back and Foskett's gone?Huh

I was thinking the same thing. Though, I thought I heard that Foskett had some illness and didn't take leads recently.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. Though, I thought I heard that Foskett had some illness and didn't take leads recently.

That I remember too.  But still confused about the rest.  Has anyone else seen a recent M&B show to confirm this?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »

Yes, Scott told me the same exact thing. I have watched Bruce's keyboard intently during those songs and others from many viewpoints and at many different concerts and as a pianist myself, I will say with the utmost confidence that the only song he plays EVERY time, is "Disney Girls" on the cheesy 80's EP sound. I have also picked it up occasionally on "Don't Worry Baby" and have seen him give starting pitches for "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" with that keyboard. That is it. I've never seen or heard anything to indicate playing on "Darlin" or "Good Vibrations". His hands are all over the place...and he is CONSTANTLY obsessed with the mix and signaling to the sound guy which makes it even funnier. The only other speculation I can make, is that he sometimes plays vocal harmony parts that are doubled only for in-ear monitoring and not in the house mix, which would explain why his playing seems out of time and inconsistent.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »

I agree about Bruce's timing and hand placement. It does seem really all over the place. I have wondered for years if maybe his keyboard is indeed for vocal cues. I don't think Scott would purposely misguide any of us, so I think there is truth to his statements. It's obvious that Bruce doesn't do the heavy lifting, but I do think that his keyboard is more than an inaudible prop like the early BW tours with his keyboard or Dean Torrence's guitar. I think Bruce's keyboard is probably very similar to Al's guitar. Crucial back in the day, but now is more of a supporting instrument.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2019, 04:16:22 AM »

Foskett was present on 2/2/2019 so I think he misses some gigs but not others.

For Bruce being all over the place, check out this clip. He has cue cards for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzYw7p3qCI
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:20:44 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2019, 06:49:52 AM »

Bruce said this about his live concert keyboard playing in an interview with Howie Edelson:

"The point of my piano was to kind of keep my voice company. I thought, well, gosh, with some of these songs, If I can boogie and put the cushion under 'God Only Knows,' you won't really hear it unless I stop playing. Then you'll know something's gone."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »

Regarding Foskett, while I have no particular knowledge, a usual tip-off to a fill-in being a quick, temporary fill-in is if, as in this case, Eichenberger is using Foskett's guitar. That typically means it was a quick, perhaps last minute, short-term deal.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »

Foskett was present on 2/2/2019 so I think he misses some gigs but not others.

For Bruce being all over the place, check out this clip. He has cue cards for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzYw7p3qCI

I've noticed those as well but have never had a vantage point to read them. Gosh that clip was rough, all the way around...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »

Last minute additions to the European 2019 tour: 2 concerts in The Netherlands:

July 3rd: Nieuwe Luxor Theater, Rotterdam
https://www.luxortheater.nl/voorstellingen/4614/Met_Mike_Love_en_Bruce_Johnston/The_Beach_Boys_USA_/

July 5th: Tweede Maasvlakte, Rotterdam, with the (Dutch) Rotterdams Philharmonic Orchestra
https://www.spido.nl/tochten-cruises/concert-the-beach-boys-en-het-rotterdams-philharmonisch-orkest

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2019, 10:43:43 AM »

Last minute additions to the European 2019 tour: 2 concerts in The Netherlands:

July 3rd: Nieuwe Luxor Theater, Rotterdam
https://www.luxortheater.nl/voorstellingen/4614/Met_Mike_Love_en_Bruce_Johnston/The_Beach_Boys_USA_/

July 5th: Tweede Maasvlakte, Rotterdam, with the (Dutch) Rotterdams Philharmonic Orchestra
https://www.spido.nl/tochten-cruises/concert-the-beach-boys-en-het-rotterdams-philharmonisch-orkest

Yep. Noticed those. Saw them a couple of years back in Luxor--and very good they were too.

As a fan of the RPO I'd opt for the second concert. (I believe tickets go on sale tomorrow.) H'mm. We'll see...

In ieder geval hartelijk dank, Klaas. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »

As a fan of the RPO I'd opt for the second concert. (I believe tickets go on sale tomorrow.)

Sale for both concerts started this morning. I already bought tickets for both gigs.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »

Is the list just for US shows? I see that the show Mike & Bruce will play in my hometown of Hannover, Germany on June 18th isn't listed yet.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »

Yes, Scott told me the same exact thing. I have watched Bruce's keyboard intently during those songs and others from many viewpoints and at many different concerts and as a pianist myself, I will say with the utmost confidence that the only song he plays EVERY time, is "Disney Girls" on the cheesy 80's EP sound. I have also picked it up occasionally on "Don't Worry Baby" and have seen him give starting pitches for "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" with that keyboard. That is it. I've never seen or heard anything to indicate playing on "Darlin" or "Good Vibrations". His hands are all over the place...and he is CONSTANTLY obsessed with the mix and signaling to the sound guy which makes it even funnier. The only other speculation I can make, is that he sometimes plays vocal harmony parts that are doubled only for in-ear monitoring and not in the house mix, which would explain why his playing seems out of time and inconsistent.

Cool it. It's obvious that Bruce's keyboard is his personal accompaniment. Just like when a guitar player prefers to play guitar while singing. Is Al Jardine also faking it just because we can't hear his guitar?

Man the hate towards Bruce and Mike on this board is ridiculous.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2019, 10:55:14 PM »

Bruce is the rhythm piano. Maybe a bit lower in the mix, but it’s no different to Brian, they both play the keys on stage.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 13, 2019, 05:04:00 AM »

Cool it. It's obvious that Bruce's keyboard is his personal accompaniment. Just like when a guitar player prefers to play guitar while singing. Is Al Jardine also faking it just because we can't hear his guitar?

Man the hate towards Bruce and Mike on this board is ridiculous.

No, he's not. I've seen Al Jardine carry his own in a story teller setting on guitar just over a year ago. I've seen Bruce Johnston with The Beach Boys TWELVE times and firmly stand by my statement above...yeah, I'm really fueling the hate on this board by cushioning his piggybank with ticket sales...and that's after being verbally accosted by the prick for no reason two summers ago after a show while waiting to speak to John Cowsill. Also, as a 24/7 musician and teacher of music, Al Jardine is playing the chords in rhythm, occasionally stopping to entice the crowd (since God knows Brian won't) and sits low in the mix for that purpose. Bruce's hands are all over the damn place completely out of rhythm. I know the keys are depressed at times but they following no RHYTHM or personal accompaniment to match the tune as you suggest. That's why I have speculated the vocal harmony cue theory...but even that seems silly....and, when did I show hate towards Mike? With the twelve tickets I've bought of his? How about you cool it and get your facts straight before you start going off for no good reason.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 13, 2019, 05:58:18 PM »

Hey Rubber Soul how bout you get your facts straight.  Yes Brucie's piano isnt that high up in the mix. but you to also consider, his piano is an accompaniment to the overall sound.  If you know what to listen for you can quite clearly hear his keyboard live.  For most of the songs he plays a choked 12 string which is meant to accompany the mix, not to be its own stand alone sound.  But I urge you to go back to listen to darlin, and to the semi bridge of good vibrations he plays the tack piano part .  Also if you listen to Hawaii close enough you will actually hear him adding bending of the notes hes playing which is quite prominent.  Obviously he is lead on Disney Girls when its in the set, but his piano is audible you just have to actually listen for it.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 13, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »

I've definitely noticed the sliding part in Hawaii, mostly in the early 2000's and then again since around 2017/18... He's obviously playing the DX7 patch In Disney Girls, as well as Don't Worry Baby I think. I can't say I've ever noticed the 12 string patch, where can that be heard?

I also agree with the comparison to Al and Brian. I don't have a vendetta to prove against Bruce (which I'll admit some people seem to have), but I do agree that his playing seems rhythmically questionable and sometimes idiosyncratic compared to what the group is playing, but then again, I have no evidence to support that the keyboard is simply a prop- in fact, evidence to support the contrary.  I wouldn't be surprised if the keys were just a prop though. That's the setup BW had at first with his tours. Even Dean Torrence strums his usually unplugged guitar on stage. Singers sometimes need an instrument to feel comfortable, that's nothing new. But because of Bruce's significance as a keyboardist (compared to say Dean Torrence's as a guitarist) I kinda doubt that he'd just stand there pounding inaudible keys every night.

Between quotes from Howie Edelson and Scott Totten, I'm fairly confident Bruce is somewhere , probably usually low, in the mix like Brian and Al. In fact, I wasn't even totally convinced Al could hold his own on guitar (just because of how often he stops playing/being low in the mix) but his storyteller shows proved me wrong, which I was thrilled to see. He can totally play all the rhythm and lead parts with authority. Bruce has proven himself to be a talent on the keys, but I do agree that his hands are all over the keys (in odd places sometimes), that I find myself questioning as a musician. Or take a look at this clip...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9hhn2C-7g  Bruce is definitely pounding the keys at moments where no melodic/harmonic instruments are audible. You can clearly see him playing the keyboard, but can only hear vocals and drums. That's not to say he isn't buried, or since it is a sound check, the engineer could've simply turned Bruce down to hear the vocals, drums, etc... Interesting nonetheless.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »

Here's a great clip to accompany that great response Nate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utHLDoL_n7k

Immediately at the beginning of the clip you can see and hear Bruce play the pitch bend however, it sounds to me like his basic DX7 sound just like Disney Girls. Hear that "sparkle" in there? It's a little brighter to our ears because of the changing pitch so I can see why it might sound like a 12-string function.

Then, from 1:04-1:14, the camera stays on Bruce and you can clearly watch (count the four beats of each measure in your head while you watch...not seconds, but beats) and you'll see that his hands (when they move) don't move in any rhythmic pattern or accuracy...they do not land on a steady beat, or even an off beat. It's completely random placement at best. I'm not saying you denounced this, just another example.

"lastofmykind"- ...my, what a depressing name. Alas, you obviously did not read my posts clearly. I'm not dignifying yours with a productive response.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »

new Biltmore gig announced in Asheville, NC July 25th. https://www.biltmore.com/concerts
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx