gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:51:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love in New Issue of Mojo - "I'm always blamed! It's horsesh*t!"  (Read 28935 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »

True, he did say that.  But, I think there are other factors that went into the motivations.  Every time he speaks of C50, I always get the feeling that he's holding back something.   More details on the email from Melinda?  More conflicts than we're aware of?  Managers / wives / musical directors.  Who knows?  

And, do you really think another thread like this is better for the board that a year by year Beatles v Beach Boys poll?  

Yes, I do. Trying to parse out a key part of the latter-day history of the Beach Boys on a BB message board is much more useful than a thread pitting two bands against each other, to say nothing of a thread full of BB fans needing to say their team is better. Some people have more fun making "favorite song" or "favorite band" lists. What I dig is getting into the history of the BBs, as it pertains to this board anyway.

One can argue that a lot of this stuff has been said over and over. But I've also seen about a thousand "vs" and "best this-or-that" poll threads over the years too.

As I often unfortunately have to remind those who aren't a fan of Mike's role in the demise of C50 being explored is that I truly feel my lamenting Mike quitting the band in 2012 is also an endorsement of the guy. He's a big part of a reunion. If I didn't like Mike and didn't like seeing him *with* the entire band, I'd be fine with Brian immediately going back to his own thing after 2012. But C50 was *that* good; it was so good that I think's it's *insane* (and dumb financially and reputation-wise as well) that they didn't keep it going.

I'm sure if you asked Mike if the idea of the band breaking up right after "Kokomo" hit #1 was a good idea, he'd say that's insane.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:31:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »

True, he did say that.  But, I think there are other factors that went into the motivations.  Every time he speaks of C50, I always get the feeling that he's holding back something.   More details on the email from Melinda?  More conflicts than we're aware of?  Managers / wives / musical directors.  Who knows?  

And, do you really think another thread like this is better for the board that a year by year Beatles v Beach Boys poll?  

Yes, I do. Trying to parse out a key part of the latter-day history of the Beach Boys on a BB message board is much more useful than a thread pitting two bands against each other, to say nothing of a thread full of BB fans needing to say their team is better. Some people have more fun making "favorite song" or "favorite band" lists. What I dig is getting into the history of the BBs, as it pertains to this board anyway.

One can argue that a lot of this stuff has been said over and over. But I've also seen about a thousand "vs" and "best this-or-that" poll threads over the years too.

As I often unfortunately have to remind those who aren't a fan of Mike's role in the demise of C50 being explored is that I truly feel my lamenting Mike quitting the band in 2012 is also an endorsement of the guy. He's a big part of a reunion. If I didn't like Mike and didn't like seeing him *with* the entire band, I'd be fine with Brian immediately going back to his own thing after 2012. But C50 was *that* good; it was so good that I think's it's *insane* (and dumb financially and reputation-wise as well) that they didn't keep it going.

I'm sure if you asked Mike if the idea of the band breaking up right after "Kokomo" hit #1 was a good idea, he'd say that's insane.

Fair enough, but I think you should see the forest for the trees, and realize that this is a big enough forum to satisfy all fans' needs, whether it be talking about Beach Boys history, discussing current BB news, or having a little fun with A v B lists. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »

As many will recall, one early Mike move in trying to shift focus/blame in the aftermath of C50 was to continually point out "I didn't fire anyone!", even though none of the band members ever said so. He was more concerned with complaining about lazy journalists (whose laziness was prompted by Mike's "announcement").

The same "lazy journalists" who kept running promo photos showing the C50 lineup to advertise Mike's shows after C50 had ended?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »

Fair enough, but I think you should see the forest for the trees, and realize that this is a big enough forum to satisfy all fans' needs, whether it be talking about Beach Boys history, discussing current BB news, or having a little fun with A v B lists. 

Hear hear!

I like this forum because it has serious threads with fascinating subjects and knowledgeable participants as well as a goofy and fun threads and everything inbetween.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »

As many will recall, one early Mike move in trying to shift focus/blame in the aftermath of C50 was to continually point out "I didn't fire anyone!", even though none of the band members ever said so.

Just to point it out, Brian said it "kinda feels like being fired"; that's what the journalists picked up and very quickly led to Mike saying that he didn't and couldn't even fire Brian.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »

As many will recall, one early Mike move in trying to shift focus/blame in the aftermath of C50 was to continually point out "I didn't fire anyone!", even though none of the band members ever said so.

Just to point it out, Brian said it "kinda feels like being fired"; that's what the journalists picked up and very quickly led to Mike saying that he didn't and couldn't even fire Brian.

Nope, incorrect.

The "fired" headlines came before Brian said anything.

Mike's letter to the LA Times came first. Dated October 5, 2012, Mike in that letter was responding to headlines that he had "fired" Brian, Al, and Dave.

Brian responded to Mike's letter on October 9, 2012, pointing out that while he was well aware that Mike didn't have the legal ability to "fire" him, it felt like being fired.

The "Mike fires Brian" headlines came over a week before Mike's LA Times letter, and at least two weeks before Brian's response letter. A quick Google search shows an article from September 26, 2012 mentioning "firing", and I believe such headlines came even earlier than that.

Where did the "Mikes fires Brian" headlines start, resulting in "Mike Love fires Brian Wilson" "trending" on Twitter, etc.? That came as a result of Mike's press release, which was issued on or before September 17, 2012, stating that he was continuing on without Brian, Al, or Dave.

One of the big problems PR-wise was that the "firing" headlines broke *before* the C50 tour was even over, because Mike issued the press release before the tour was over. Why did he issue the press release before the tour was over? Simply and solely because he *chose* to book his own Mike/Bruce shows butted right up against C50 shows. He could have taken another month or two (or the rest of the year) off.

As many have said, if Mike was going to quit the band and go back to his own thing, a press release was *absolutely* needed to alleviate confusion among promoters/agents/fans, etc. The problem was the timing and even more so the tone of his press release. It lacked sufficient compassion for the other co-founders, and didn't really show them much respect. It also didn't really address why he was going back to his own band beyond his "set end date" reasoning. Journalists read this statement, and deduced it was Mike's decision to go back to touring *under the same name* without Brian, Al, and Dave, and made the (legally/technically incorrect) leap to calling it a "firing." That Mike also *did not* explain the nature of the "touring license" didn't help things either.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:21:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:44 AM »

Mike is such a bitter old man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »

Nope, incorrect.

The "fired" headlines came before Brian said anything.

Mike's letter to the LA Times came first. Dated October 5, 2012, Mike in that letter was responding to headlines that he had "fired" Brian, Al, and Dave.

Brian responded to Mike's letter on October 9, 2012, pointing out that while he was well aware that Mike didn't have the legal ability to "fire" him, it felt like being fired.

Really? I'd have to re-check. But I thought that Brian's comment was what was picked up by the press. Well, maybe not and I stand corrected.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »

Brian’s back was playing up in 2012 and perhaps Mike had bought him some inserts.

Email actually was ‘No more Scholls for Wilson.’

.....I’ll see myself out.  Grin
that was awesome

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »

Really? I'd have to re-check. But I thought that Brian's comment was what was picked up by the press. Well, maybe not and I stand corrected.

The "Mike fires Brian" headlines hit in mid-late September before the tour even ended, in response to Mike's circa 9/17 press release. You can see Google results from September 2012 with the "fired" headlines. It's why that Grammy Museum event on 9/18 was apparently pretty awkward. Why Mike chose precisely the day before that event to put out the press release, I don't know.

Those inflammatory mid-late September headlines (and ensuing backlash on the internet) were surely the main reason Mike felt motivated enough to send a letter to the LA Times. Brian's letter was then in response to Mike's letter.

Both letters were no doubt also picked up by the press. But in the case of Brian's letter, he specifically states in the letter that he can't be fired.

Often forgotten is that Mike ended up with extra egg on his face when, during the 9/18 Grammy event, he referenced the Eagles supposedly overextending themselves on tour and having to sell tickets for five dollars. A spokesperson for the Eagles then had to call Mike out, which resulted in Mike's press person having to issue an apology.

Around this time (I believe), Mike also erroneously accused Al of having anti-Mike stuff on his "website", when in fact what Mike was referencing was Facebook stuff and other social media stuff. Someone working for Mike, as I recall, also had to walk back that statement as well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:18:05 PM by HeyJude » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »

Since we're strolling down 2012 memory lane... 

https://www.google.com/search?q=beach+boys+nutty+jerry%27s&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »

After reading all these pages, the one thing that sticks out to me is that Bruce was cheering for the return of HIS shows, and Mike's of course. That doesn't surprise me at all and I felt that way since the dang tour was announced. Two peas in a pod.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 12:02:31 AM »

The thing I keep coming back in this interview are the comments Mike makes about Carl. They just come out sounding so...evil. Never have I ever read comments from Mike where he sounds so downright hateful. They come totally out of the blue too. I don't think I've ever even read a remotely negative comment about Carl from Mike. It comes at the worst possible time too, as we're approaching the 20th anniversary of Carl's passing. I think I just lost any and all respect I had for Mike as a person.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 12:18:33 AM »

I know what you mean. Sad part is, I *want* Mike to prove us wrong. I really do. I want to believe the best in people, and until the way C50 ended, I was warming up to the guy. I still think he's incredibly underrated as an artist, and even though  I made many jokes about his new solo disc, Ram Raj was fucking badass. But once again he acts like a prick and undoes any good will he may had recently earned. Talking ill of Carl knowing good and well that he's not around to defend himself, well, that really pissed me off. I know there are some elsewhere that will probably talk ill of my post* but it's how I feel, and objectively I can't see how anyone wouldn't feel the same way. 

*There are a few there who seem to agree. I think it is telling that both boards pretty much seem to be on the same page on this with a few exceptions.

And yeah, there's nothing that he hasn't really said before about Brian, just rehashing the same sh*t, but the stuff about Carl just doesn't sit right with me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2018, 12:27:35 AM »

This is probably going to sound weird, but I think Mike needs some professional therapy. No TM or anything like that. Real, conventional psychiatric therapy. He seems to have deep rooted resentment for all three Wilson's, Al, and Murry(but who wouldn't with him?). I'm NOT condoning or excusing his behavior and comments at all. I just think that if a professional worked with Mike, he would be able to get past everything. For a guy who preaches love and harmony through TM, he sure seems like a bitter old man.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »

Well said

KDS
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »

This is probably going to sound weird, but I think Mike needs some professional therapy. No TM or anything like that. Real, conventional psychiatric therapy. He seems to have deep rooted resentment for all three Wilson's, Al, and Murry(but who wouldn't with him?). I'm NOT condoning or excusing his behavior and comments at all. I just think that if a professional worked with Mike, he would be able to get past everything. For a guy who preaches love and harmony through TM, he sure seems like a bitter old man.

I think there's a lot of truth to that, and Mike is from a bloodline that has a history of mental illness and abuse. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »

Regarding Mike being required to book his own shows back after C50, it's worth actually looking at his tour schedule for the remainder of 2012 and into 2013.

From September 30, 2012 through the beginning of February 2013, Mike booked...wait for it.... NINE shows across EIGHT venues.

He dumped the reunion tour in order to play these shows:

September 30 - The Legacy Concert for the Children, The Santaluz Club, San Diego, CA
October 5 - Extraco Events Center, Waco, TX  
October 6 - The Backyard, Austin, TX  
October 12 - Beau Rivage, Biloxi, MS
October 13 - Beau Rivage, Biloxi, MS
December 21 - New Orleans Bowl Friday Night Concert, Champion's Square, New Orleans, LA (Free Show)
December 28 - Pike's Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO  
December 31 - Mystic Lake Casino, Prior Lake, MN (2 Shows)

Nothing in November 2012, nothing in January 2013. Only FOUR shows in February 2013. Even assuming maybe he booked a few private/corporate gigs we don't know about, and even taking into account at least three canceled gigs (two in South America, plus in the infamous "Nutty Jerry's" gig), I somehow doubt BRI had a requirement that both *forced* Mike to book shows, but then also allowed for such a *light* tour schedule.

This is just my total guess/gut feeling, but it kind of smells like Mike just started booking a hand full of shows to essentially create a plausible reason to say he couldn't do more reunion shows (See? I already have my own shows booked!), and also to start getting his foot back in the door and re-establish his band as the going "Beach Boys" touring concern.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:34:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »

Regarding Mike being required to book his own shows back after C50, it's worth actually looking at his tour schedule for the remainder of 2012 and into 2013.

From September 30, 2012 through the beginning of February 2013, Mike booked...wait for it.... NINE shows across EIGHT venues.

September 30 - The Legacy Concert for the Children, The Santaluz Club, San Diego, CA
December 21 - New Orleans Bowl Friday Night Concert, Champion's Square, New Orleans, LA (Free Show)

Nothing in November 2012, nothing in January 2013. Only FOUR shows in February 2013. Even assuming maybe he booked a few private/corporate gigs we don't know about, and even taking into account at least three canceled gigs (two in South America, plus in the infamous "Nutty Jerry's" gig), I somehow doubt BRI had a requirement that both *forced* Mike to book shows, but then also allowed for such a *light* tour schedule.

This is just my total guess/gut feeling, but it kind of smells like Mike just started booking a hand full of shows to essentially create a plausible reason to say he couldn't do more reunion shows (See? I already have my own shows booked!), and also to start getting his foot back in the door and re-establish his band as the going "Beach Boys" touring concern.

Perhaps not really relevant in this thread, but I do  think that Mike probably has a network of venues/promoters that he is very loyal to. If you look at some of those places (Beau Rivage, Mystic) you realize the band plays there pretty much every year. Mike may have been thinking long term, and wanted to get back to the circuit of contacts that he knows will always book him in.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »

*There are a few there who seem to agree. I think it is telling that both boards pretty much seem to be on the same page on this with a few exceptions.

Yeah, Mike blows up on Carl in the weirdest way and now those of us at the “other place” are like a school of piranhas eating bacon? What an odd reaction haha. My favorite though: apparently we’re running a “foolish evasive cherry knitpicked speculative disinformation campaign” here. Meh, we’re just kinda discussing the rather weird responses Mike gave in an interview.

But otherwise, yeah, most here and on the PS forum are having a logical outlook on this interview.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

Perhaps not really relevant in this thread, but I do  think that Mike probably has a network of venues/promoters that he is very loyal to. If you look at some of those places (Beau Rivage, Mystic) you realize the band plays there pretty much every year. Mike may have been thinking long term, and wanted to get back to the circuit of contacts that he knows will always book him in.
That could be part of it as well

KDS
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »

That's true.  Mike and Bruce seem to play Wolf Trap in VA around mid to late August every summer for a Sunday afternoon matinee show. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

Yeah, Mike blows up on Carl in the weirdest way and now those of us at the “other place” are like a school of piranhas eating bacon? What an odd reaction haha. My favorite though: apparently we’re running a “foolish evasive cherry knitpicked speculative disinformation campaign” here. Meh, we’re just kinda discussing the rather weird responses Mike gave in an interview.

But otherwise, yeah, most here and on the PS forum are having a logical outlook on this interview.
I'm going to use "Evasive Cherry" for a song title lol

If it was "just" the "normal" Mike vs Brian thing I don't think it would've caused this level of reaction. I do wonder if the few defending Mike on this would defend him no matter what at this point.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

That's true.  Mike and Bruce seem to play Wolf Trap in VA around mid to late August every summer for a Sunday afternoon matinee show. 
. I've always liked when an artist does that, just like the Boys were guaranteed to play on 4 July. I'm real big on tradition with bands.

KDS
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »

. I've always liked when an artist does that, just like the Boys were guaranteed to play on 4 July. I'm real big on tradition with bands.

Same here.  I just wish the venue were more convenient, because I love the idea of a matinee afternoon show.   
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx