gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:15:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP on Twitter  (Read 37874 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 03:01:10 AM »

VDP's contribution to Smile is arguably some of his greatest creative work (at least, historically speaking). It must be a very personal subject for him and if he's been shafted over it (presumably, judging by the shift in his attitude towards BW post 2011) then I can understand some of the bitterness. I think suddenly calling him a 'dick' seems unnecessary, especially when we are missing an awful lot of the picture.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:42:55 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

Wasn't based on just that...I was one of two people here who were called out by him in an interview  (Mike Eder was the other ) without provocation.  He likes to run his mouth and talk crap about people,  well I can return the favor.  That's what he does.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

Wasn't based on just that...I was one of two people here who were called out by him in an interview  (Mike Eder was the other ) without provocation.  He likes to run his mouth and talk crap about people,  well I can return the favor.  That's what he does.

Did he just single you out for no reason or was he responding to criticisms you’d made? What did he say?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »

I hadnt said jack about him, but I was referred to as an "anti-intellectual" . If I can find the link, I'll post it. Might be archived here, cause I hit the roof when I saw it and I remember discussing it here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

Finally clicked on this, another poorly named thread (sorry, I write newspaper headlines as a side gig), and once again found myself wondering what I'm missing about VDP.

Maybe it's because a song's lyrics are the last thing I appreciate or analyze. Maybe it's because I'm pretty nonplussed by the Smile lyrics and can't will myself to like Orange Crate Art. Whatever it is, I must be missing something here, because obviously there's a reason he's been deemed legendary. I suppose I should care about his tweets and spats with other artists.  I'm trying.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:00:22 PM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »

Amy B is right, and I agree with Billy - All of this stuff with Van Dyke and Mike taking public swipes at Brian and airing these grievances to the fans, it's so one-sided it makes the whole thing even more absurd. Brian could unload and have every right to do so, but he does not. And that may speak as much to why so many love and show their love to Brian Wilson whenever he performs or just overall. It's respect, and unless someone can find an example of Brian in the recent past taking any public swipes at Mike, Van Dyke, or anyone else related that would warrant those being hurled at him (and his family), I can't think of any. It's not how he is. In fact, if anything Brian has been complimentary of both men when he could have easily laid them out publicly and been right on the money.

Maybe I should reboot the challenge from a few years ago and offer up a nice bottle of red wine, maybe a port or something heavier than the previous bottle of white, to coincide with the Fall and holiday seasons upon us, to anyone who can find a recent interview or Tweet where Brian publicly took a jab at either Mike Love or Van Dyke Parks.

VDP is a guy writing his own tweets on his own Twitter account, he doesn't have PR people telling him what to say. Same with ML, he's a minor celebrity who obviously answers only to himself. BW has a carefully orchestrated career and image. In interviews, he either clams up and says nothing at all, or he sticks to PR-friendly and uncontroversial statements. What I mean is that we have a glimpse of the real VDP or ML, warts and all. But BW? Who's to say what he's like now in his private life? What does he say when he's by himself with friends, with no reporter around? It's hard to say.
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »

I hadnt said jack about him, but I was referred to as an "anti-intellectual" . If I can find the link, I'll post it. Might be archived here, cause I hit the roof when I saw it and I remember discussing it here.

Why would he call you that?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:55 AM »

Amy B is right, and I agree with Billy - All of this stuff with Van Dyke and Mike taking public swipes at Brian and airing these grievances to the fans, it's so one-sided it makes the whole thing even more absurd. Brian could unload and have every right to do so, but he does not. And that may speak as much to why so many love and show their love to Brian Wilson whenever he performs or just overall. It's respect, and unless someone can find an example of Brian in the recent past taking any public swipes at Mike, Van Dyke, or anyone else related that would warrant those being hurled at him (and his family), I can't think of any. It's not how he is. In fact, if anything Brian has been complimentary of both men when he could have easily laid them out publicly and been right on the money.

Maybe I should reboot the challenge from a few years ago and offer up a nice bottle of red wine, maybe a port or something heavier than the previous bottle of white, to coincide with the Fall and holiday seasons upon us, to anyone who can find a recent interview or Tweet where Brian publicly took a jab at either Mike Love or Van Dyke Parks.

VDP is a guy writing his own tweets on his own Twitter account, he doesn't have PR people telling him what to say. Same with ML, he's a minor celebrity who obviously answers only to himself. BW has a carefully orchestrated career and image. In interviews, he either clams up and says nothing at all, or he sticks to PR-friendly and uncontroversial statements. What I mean is that we have a glimpse of the real VDP or ML, warts and all. But BW? Who's to say what he's like now in his private life? What does he say when he's by himself with friends, with no reporter around? It's hard to say.

It’s not really hard to say. On this very site, and elsewhere, people who have been around Brian Wilson casually have talked about what he is like in private. He can be a very sweet guy, a wild guy, a shy guy, etc.. I’m sure he also has his opinions about certain people that he keeps to those private moments.

And during interviews? You’re saying that’s not the real Brian acting nervous and annoyed that he’s being inteviewed usually by people who don’t really care? That’s the real Brian right there. That’s not someone being controlled to act like a nervous wreck, that’s actually how Brian feels during some of those interviews. But the real Brian is also someone who will open up and talk at length to certain reporters he’s comfortable around. Billy knows of one great interview (I forget what’s it’s from, but it’s on YouTube) when Brian seems to be unstoppable in a great conversation about music. Brian is a multi-angled type of person...whatever angle you get just depends on his mood at the time.

The difference between Brian and Mike/VDPs is that Brian has tact. It’s not that PR people are telling him “Brian, please don’t go after Mike Love in this interview” because Brian has never stooped to that level to begin with. He’s a genuine nice guy who doesn’t publicly sh*t on the hard work of others (unlike Mike). That’s the real Brian Wilson, again not someone created in a marketing dept but that’s just who he is. I’ve no doubt he has his opinions about Mike behind closed doors, but again, there’s the difference between Mike and Brian: Brian has enough tact to not share a negative opinion to the media.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »

It’s not really hard to say. On this very site, and elsewhere, people who have been around Brian Wilson casually have talked about what he is like in private. He can be a very sweet guy, a wild guy, a shy guy, etc.. I’m sure he also has his opinions about certain people that he keeps to those private moments.

And during interviews? You’re saying that’s not the real Brian acting nervous and annoyed that he’s being inteviewed usually by people who don’t really care? That’s the real Brian right there. That’s not someone being controlled to act like a nervous wreck, that’s actually how Brian feels during some of those interviews. But the real Brian is also someone who will open up and talk at length to certain reporters he’s comfortable around. Billy knows of one great interview (I forget what’s it’s from, but it’s on YouTube) when Brian seems to be unstoppable in a great conversation about music. Brian is a multi-angled type of person...whatever angle you get just depends on his mood at the time.

The difference between Brian and Mike/VDPs is that Brian has tact. It’s not that PR people are telling him “Brian, please don’t go after Mike Love in this interview” because Brian has never stooped to that level to begin with. He’s a genuine nice guy who doesn’t publicly sh*t on the hard work of others (unlike Mike). That’s the real Brian Wilson, again not someone created in a marketing dept but that’s just who he is. I’ve no doubt he has his opinions about Mike behind closed doors, but again, there’s the difference between Mike and Brian: Brian has enough tact to not share a negative opinion to the media.

Exactly - agreed. Airing out dirty laundry or taking swipes via social media and interviews with The Small Town Gazette "weekender" insert while plugging a live show isn't tactful, nor does it show class to fans reading it. What people say or need to say in private isn't the same as airing it out to thousands of people reading. That behavior should be left in the territory of Nicki Minaj, not men in their 70's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

Why would he call you that?

I honestly have no idea. I might have said something that he didn't like. Either that, or a certain someone might have told him something I said via pm.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »

It was an interview at a Guitar Center, of all things.

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »

In the 1980s, I remember Brian calling Van Dyke Parks “an asshole” at a birthday party. I’m fine with that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »

I'm actually not surprised it was at a GC where he opened up more about music - Maybe he was more comfortable because he felt he was with other musicians, "his people". It's been said many times that Brian in the studio is not the Brian seen or heard in press interviews, which makes perfect sense. That's his place.

I say this too because I saw G.E. Smith who was musical director for Saturday Night Live from the mid-80's to the early 90's talking about when Valerie Bertinelli was the guest host, and her husband Eddie Van Halen came to the week's rehearsals at NBC with her. Eddie looked uncomfortable, so G E invited him to come to the offices they had set up for the musicians in the band and just hang out, relax, shoot the sh*t about music with the other players. As soon as Eddie did that, he was in his element, he was happy, and as G E said it was because he was with "his people", the musicians. He didn't relate to the TV or showbiz stuff as much as chilling out with the musicians. And it was such a good thing that Eddie ended up unannounced guesting on guitar with G E and the SNL band during the commercial breaks, playing guitar on an appearance that alot of fans still remember who were watching.

It could be about being in the comfort zone, talking about things like a good groove and listening to great records versus being asked "how does it feel to be on tour?" and all the usual questions.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Thanks! I just need to bookmark that interview as I reference it fairly often.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

In the 1980s, I remember Brian calling Van Dyke Parks “an asshole” at a birthday party. I’m fine with that.

In the 90s actually. Ringos birthday. Good stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngCuGxEJsAY

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »

He really can't help himself. His latest tweet.

"No Pop Music Publicist's delusion-this is true genius..."

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »

?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »

I think VDPs ‘Discover America’ is one of the coolest albums ever made

You're not alone in that assertion. Easily in my top 10.

I gave it a try. Sorry, I guess I'm just not a fan of VDP's solo stuff. That said, I love the work he did with Brian on OCA.   

Agreed about OCA. The ironic thing for me is that out of everything Brian has done away from the BB, this has my favorite production and arrangements.  Shame about the ghastly lyrics.

The thing I really like about OCA is how Brian actually did something that didn't attempt to sound like Beach Boys music from '65 or '66. It sounds worthy of a solo career, if that makes sense. I think it's a very cool record, even though the vocals sound pretty strained here and there. Nice cover art too!
Oh, I love that cover art, and I even like most of the lyrics. Brian's vocals are awesome! The only poor track vocally is Hold Back Time. Now supposedly it is a duet with Danny Hutton, but it sounds like two Brian's to me - two Brian's slightly out of synch with each other. It's very emotional music for me, reminds me of when the album came out - by far, the happiest time in my life. My life had become like a movie - magical. Then suddenly, one day, it was back to real life. Real life is tragic.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »

Twitter beefs and swipes are the territory of "stars" like Nicki Minaj and B-list rappers, not musicians of the caliber of a Van Dyke Parks. What's next, a "diss track" coming from Van Dyke?  Cheesy

Aren't twitter beefs usually two-sided, though? I don't think anyone usually responds to Van Dyke. It's not like Brian gets on Twitter and starts returning the barbs.
Brian has too much class to respond back, unlike a certain hipster douchebag.  Can you imagine it though, if Brian actually went on Twitter and just unloaded on those that have either f***ed him over or disrespected him for no reason?  Will never happen, obviously, but man if anybody has the right to unload, it's Brian. He's earned it.

Brian is not articulate enough to respond to any barbs and his interests likely lie elsewhere, as in what he is having for his next meal....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »

Time for you to mediate with Mike Love.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »

Twitter beefs and swipes are the territory of "stars" like Nicki Minaj and B-list rappers, not musicians of the caliber of a Van Dyke Parks. What's next, a "diss track" coming from Van Dyke?  Cheesy

Aren't twitter beefs usually two-sided, though? I don't think anyone usually responds to Van Dyke. It's not like Brian gets on Twitter and starts returning the barbs.
Brian has too much class to respond back, unlike a certain hipster douchebag.  Can you imagine it though, if Brian actually went on Twitter and just unloaded on those that have either f***ed him over or disrespected him for no reason?  Will never happen, obviously, but man if anybody has the right to unload, it's Brian. He's earned it.

Brian is not articulate enough to respond to any barbs and his interests likely lie elsewhere, as in what he is having for his next meal....

Seriously, your schtick is getting very old

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

Twitter beefs and swipes are the territory of "stars" like Nicki Minaj and B-list rappers, not musicians of the caliber of a Van Dyke Parks. What's next, a "diss track" coming from Van Dyke?  Cheesy

Brian has too much class to respond back, unlike a certain hipster douchebag.  Can you imagine it though, if Brian actually went on Twitter and just unloaded on those that have either f***ed him over or disrespected him for no reason?  Will never happen, obviously, but man if anybody has the right to unload, it's Brian. He's earned it.

Ironic you complain about Brian not responding to criticism when you yourself don’t respond to anyone who replies to your inane garble.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

Rab! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »

Ironic you complain about Brian not responding to criticism when you yourself don’t respond to anyone who replies to your inane garble.

Cause he's a troll and just doing it to parody the anti -Mike stuff. I've seen windows less transparent.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »

Mikesbeard to blame?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx