gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:57:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP on Twitter  (Read 37885 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »

I admit, I don't always know what Van Dyke is talking about, but what is this exchange?

Twitter user named Brad to VDP: Dude, you helped write SMiLE.
VDP: He helped me write "Smile". What a dude'll do. Brad, you goofin' me, right?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:18:37 PM »

I assume he is referring to the fact Brian asked him to contribute lyrics so Brian was helping him a relative unknown rather than Van Dyke helping him - and also the fact Brian wrote the melodies and Van Dyke then wrote the lyrics syllable for syllable to fit the melody, so that "helped" him rather than the other way around.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »

It can also be construed as  saying that he didn't help Brian write Smile, but rather Brian helped *him* in that it was more him (VDP) than Brian.

I wouldn't hope that would be the inference, but with VDP who the hell knows?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:14:36 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »

I used to admire him greatly, but to see him so bitter is just incredibly sad.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

It can also be construed as  saying that he didn't help Brian write Smile, but rather Brian helped *him* in that it was more him (VDP) than Brian.
I wouldn't hope that would be the inference, but with VDP who the hell knows?

That's how I read it, and I hope I read it wrong.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:15:32 PM »

I used to admire him greatly, but to see him so bitter is just incredibly sad.

I agree. Something bad must’ve gone down in the last decade behind the scenes, and I don’t feel qualified to have any opinion about it because we are completely not privy to this information. But it is indeed sad.
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 03:25:35 AM »

Comes across as little bit pretentious.  He had this to say when Skrillex asked him for help on a track:

'Oh, thank you, Mr. Parks. We will destroy the world.' I said, 'Okay...' I Google him and there he is, on YouTube, in front of 30,000 people, pouring beer onto a laptop computer, at which point the crowd jumps into the mosh pit and has an erection.…I have two things I can do: Run away from all this in horror because I’m so superior, or dig in and serve and try to bring hope to the hopeless. That can be done behind the curtain, and that’s where I’m very comfortable working.…I treat every job as if it were the very thing that will define me. Nothing is beneath me. I think that is evident to people who ask my best."[

Dick...
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:20:37 AM »

It's not pretentious for him to say his musical abilities are fat above those of Shrillex. It's just honest.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:37 AM »

It's not pretentious for him to say his musical abilities are fat above those of Shrillex. It's just honest.

I completely agree. VDPs has lived to see his talents be compared to the Beatles (albeit in marketing for his first album, but nonetheless he worked with Brian Wilson at Brian’s peak). And then he’s reduced to now collaborating with some jackass who dumps beer on expensive equipment all for the roar of a dimwitted crowd - and this is coming from someone who listened to Skrillex in clubs a few years ago. Ugh.

I can imagine, for VDPs, seeing the degradation of meaningful music culture is sad as hell, and him being openly honest about his collaboration with Skrillex is a least refreshing to hear - rather than him being passive about it.

As for the tweet above, I just took it as a joke rather than something he seriously means. And perhaps VDPs is taking Brad literally when he says “writing” as VDPs was the lyricist and wrote probably the majority of those lyrics. Or he’s being bitter. These days you just can’t really tell.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 05:47:25 AM »

"Brad" was responding to this tweet from Van Dyke, which accompanied a video of Ry Cooder. It doesn't sound bitter:
 @thevandykeparks  12h12 hours ago
I coulda been somebody. Yet, content in being no-one at all. Just to be at keyboard, with such band mates--Word.

Wasn't there an issue around the time the Smile boxset came out? Van Dyke was conspicuously absent from that project.
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 06:12:30 AM »

I admit, I don't always know what Van Dyke is talking about, but what is this exchange?

Twitter user named Brad to VDP: Dude, you helped write SMiLE.
VDP: He helped me write "Smile". What a dude'll do. Brad, you goofin' me, right?

The conversation didn't end there.

This Brad guy wrote: "Sorry. I don’t mean to take anything away from anyone else. I just think of your involvement with SMILE as a great moment in rock history."
VDP replied that he wishes he gets a fee every time he (Brian) performs it (Smile), but he then deleted the tweet, that's why I can't quote the exact words. He sounded quite resentful.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:38 AM »

VDP's cranky tweets and comments strike me as similar to others who make that type of cranky, "tellin' it like it is" comments: When their target is something you share some level of disdain or disapproval of, then his comments are highly entertaining. If you're defensive of something he goes after, then he appears to be a crackpot, out of touch, bitter individual.

I've definitely had both types of reactions to what he writes. Sometimes it's pretty damn funny, and other times he comes across as bitter and marginalized.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »

VDP watching skrillex pour beer on a laptop... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »

I completely agree. VDPs has lived to see his talents be compared to the Beatles (albeit in marketing for his first album, but nonetheless he worked with Brian Wilson at Brian’s peak). And then he’s reduced to now collaborating with some jackass who dumps beer on expensive equipment all for the roar of a dimwitted crowd - and this is coming from someone who listened to Skrillex in clubs a few years ago. Ugh.

I can imagine, for VDPs, seeing the degradation of meaningful music culture is sad as hell, and him being openly honest about his collaboration with Skrillex is a least refreshing to hear - rather than him being passive about it.

As for the tweet above, I just took it as a joke rather than something he seriously means. And perhaps VDPs is taking Brad literally when he says “writing” as VDPs was the lyricist and wrote probably the majority of those lyrics. Or he’s being bitter. These days you just can’t really tell.

And who would waste an innocent beer like that?
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »

saying "I'm so superior" isn't dickish... gotcha...
KDS
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »

saying "I'm so superior" isn't dickish... gotcha...

It's dickish.....funny, but still dickish. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »

If Skrillex himself didn't pour that beer onto his DJ gear, I gladly would have volunteered for that job. And I would have double-fisted two beers to make sure all the gear crapped out. And I'm guessing all the ravers with their glow-stix and pacifiers would have kept dancing, music or not.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »

The "I'm so superior" bit he clearly means as a joke or sarcastic aside. The stuff about Smile, not so much.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »

That VDP interview where he talks about watching skrillex videos at home is one of greatest things ever!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »

If Skrillex himself didn't pour that beer onto his DJ gear, I gladly would have volunteered for that job. And I would have double-fisted two beers to make sure all the gear crapped out. And I'm guessing all the ravers with their glow-stix and pacifiers would have kept dancing, music or not.

Skrillex surprising opened a few shows for Guns N Roses last summer.   Thank God it wasn't the one I attended, which had Alice in Chains.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »

Comes across as little bit pretentious.  He had this to say when Skrillex asked him for help on a track:

'Oh, thank you, Mr. Parks. We will destroy the world.' I said, 'Okay...' I Google him and there he is, on YouTube, in front of 30,000 people, pouring beer onto a laptop computer, at which point the crowd jumps into the mosh pit and has an erection.…I have two things I can do: Run away from all this in horror because I’m so superior, or dig in and serve and try to bring hope to the hopeless. That can be done behind the curtain, and that’s where I’m very comfortable working.…I treat every job as if it were the very thing that will define me. Nothing is beneath me. I think that is evident to people who ask my best."[

Dick...

A little bit pretentious? 

I think when you say "nothing is beneath me" in direct reference to someone you're working with, you are clearly implying that it is in fact beneath you.  I wouldn't want to work with Skrillex either, but I wouldn't take the job and then diss him.  Classless. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

It's interesting. A portion of his tweets are devoted to talking about himself and his own career, pointing out his achievements and his impressive childhood, as if he's saying, "Well, I should have been a bigger star, having been in a child prodigy, having known Einstein, having been in a movie with Grace Kelly as a kid, having been a composer from a young age, here's an artist I like, who I can't mention without saying what I did for his album... Since few people recognize all this, I'll point it out." He also makes a big point of being overly modest: "I'm just a beta male, I'll work with anyone, nothing is beneath me, I sweat bullets when I write music." It's a weird juxtaposition. Maybe the self-promotion is his way of drumming up work.

If, say, he didn't get any royalties from the latter-day Smile issues, I could see how he would be bitter.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »

The guy has always had an acerbic sense of humour and a way with words. That's what got him the Smile gig in the first place.

And he has dignity and a sense of his own self worth. Probably why he walked away from the Smile gig.

VDP is VDP. A one off.  Dickish and pretensious? Try devilish and contentious. Good friends with Richard Thompson too, apparently. Says it all.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »

More to the story but he deleted it

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx