gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:15:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161299 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »

Don't forget drip drop! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »

Now...I would be TOTALLY down for that!  LOL
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »

Count me in for the BW love you concert idea!

Me too. In fact count me in for watching Mike's R&R Hall of Fame rant at Brian's place as long as I'm allowed to 'boo' and hiss. Or at least laugh.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

Looks like I'm gonna have to work that day of the houston show.  f***.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »

Anyone here going to the Indio opening night show on Saturday? Curious to see how the setlist comes out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »

I am going to the Vancouver and Calgary show early in the tour.  Looking forward to it.  I saw the Hollywood Bowl show this past summer and really enjoyed it.  Matt Jardine on the high parts really does it for me.

I also have 4 great seats for sale at face value for the Vancouver show if anyone wants some great close orchestra seats for a sweet price.  PM me if interested.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »

Tomorrow I go out and buy a Beach Boys compilation for the hell of it. Tucked inside the CD booklet is a golden ticket. I, along with 5 others, have been selected to go to a private viewing of Brian Wilson performing Love You in LA on April 11 of this year.

You arrive at Brian's house, you get ushered into a living room with stacks of speakers, tables full of cake and steak (all you can eat), and there is Brian in his black leather recliner getting ready for this momentous concert. Everyone sits down and Brian proceeds to tell the story about Love You; he talks about recording the demos, about him writing the lyrics and thinking of all the instrumentation. He sits there munching on a vanilla ice cream cake while telling you how excited the other guys were when they heard the demos. He has the biggest smile on his face. He finally gets up and sits down in front of a moog connected to all 70 speakers in the room. But it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Then, the air in the room hums with deep vibrations from the moog, the bass is so deep you can feel it in your chest, and the drums sound like they're tearing through spacetime itself. And Brian bellows a deep "hey!" to kick off 'Let Us Go On This Way'

As you sit there eating a mouth watering steak while listening to music made by god himself, you realize that from this point on your life will never be the same. You realize that Love You is the greatest collection of songs ever assembled in the history of music. And if this happened to even the most ardent hater of Love You, this experience would make them realize that Love You is a gift from god, the greatest synth-symphony ever created by man.

I'd be thankful for the steak, and the rare opportunity to attend such an intimate performance.  And I think Brian's band might even be able to inject some life into some of the LY tracks, but I'd be patiently waiting to see if Brian does any other deep cuts after the LY portion of the show ends.

The only scheduled aftershow entertainment is a few drinks during a viewing of Mike's Rock and Roll hall of fame speech.

In all seriousness, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I can totally get that. I really like BB85 and I think most would scoff at such an admission Grin to each their own.

Actually, BB85 has really grown on me.  Having grown up during that 80s pop era probably helps.  But, I found myself listening to it quite a bit last summer.  In fact, it might be second only to TWGMTR in post Holland spins.
BB85 has some excellent Carl vocals, and the songs are mostly pretty good. LY, on the other hand, has some of the worst vocals the Boys ever committed to wax. And call me what you want, but I just can't get into a guy singing "pat, pat, pat her on her butt".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2017, 03:54:25 AM »

Another addition to the Europe tour:

July 3rd: Carré Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Ticket sale started today (and I'm going  Smiley )

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
KDS
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2017, 05:16:34 AM »

Tomorrow I go out and buy a Beach Boys compilation for the hell of it. Tucked inside the CD booklet is a golden ticket. I, along with 5 others, have been selected to go to a private viewing of Brian Wilson performing Love You in LA on April 11 of this year.

You arrive at Brian's house, you get ushered into a living room with stacks of speakers, tables full of cake and steak (all you can eat), and there is Brian in his black leather recliner getting ready for this momentous concert. Everyone sits down and Brian proceeds to tell the story about Love You; he talks about recording the demos, about him writing the lyrics and thinking of all the instrumentation. He sits there munching on a vanilla ice cream cake while telling you how excited the other guys were when they heard the demos. He has the biggest smile on his face. He finally gets up and sits down in front of a moog connected to all 70 speakers in the room. But it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Then, the air in the room hums with deep vibrations from the moog, the bass is so deep you can feel it in your chest, and the drums sound like they're tearing through spacetime itself. And Brian bellows a deep "hey!" to kick off 'Let Us Go On This Way'

As you sit there eating a mouth watering steak while listening to music made by god himself, you realize that from this point on your life will never be the same. You realize that Love You is the greatest collection of songs ever assembled in the history of music. And if this happened to even the most ardent hater of Love You, this experience would make them realize that Love You is a gift from god, the greatest synth-symphony ever created by man.

I'd be thankful for the steak, and the rare opportunity to attend such an intimate performance.  And I think Brian's band might even be able to inject some life into some of the LY tracks, but I'd be patiently waiting to see if Brian does any other deep cuts after the LY portion of the show ends.

The only scheduled aftershow entertainment is a few drinks during a viewing of Mike's Rock and Roll hall of fame speech.

In all seriousness, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I can totally get that. I really like BB85 and I think most would scoff at such an admission Grin to each their own.

Actually, BB85 has really grown on me.  Having grown up during that 80s pop era probably helps.  But, I found myself listening to it quite a bit last summer.  In fact, it might be second only to TWGMTR in post Holland spins.
BB85 has some excellent Carl vocals, and the songs are mostly pretty good. LY, on the other hand, has some of the worst vocals the Boys ever committed to wax. And call me what you want, but I just can't get into a guy singing "pat, pat, pat her on her butt".

I agree on both accounts. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »

Another addition to the Europe tour:

July 3rd: Carré Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Ticket sale started today (and I'm going  Smiley )

Added to the top post!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »

I'd argue the cheesy production on BB '85 is as distracting as anything on "Love You." If BB '85 had *great* production and only mediocre songs, then I'd make a strong argument for why, even if "Love You" is more substantive from artistic point of view, that BB '85 is more immediately accessible. And that may be true in a few song-by-song cases.

But BB '85 has a hand full of good songs, and cheeseball production *almost* across the board. Whereas, "Love You" has stronger songs (though there are clunkers on it as well, e.g. "Mona"), and *weird* but creative production.

Honestly, the main reason I pull out '85 now is for the two Carl "It's Gettin' Late" and "Where I Belong", and in particular the latter. And "Where I Belong" is one of the few songs where the album's production sound works well with the song rather than hinders it.

To be clear, I have favorites on both. I actually think "Passing Friend" has a great catchy chorus and great group vocals (would love to hear isolated vocals on that one).

I think the context of the two albums is most important to keep in mind, and this also brings it back to Brian perhaps performing something from "Love You." The affection that Brian (and Al) have when speaking about "Love You" is not something you hear from *anybody* in the band when it comes to the '85 album. It seems the band members took away more than anything the tedious nature of digital programming and recording. There's one interview where Carl talks about the album like it's a NASA experiment or something. 

KDS
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »

I'd argue the cheesy production on BB '85 is as distracting as anything on "Love You." If BB '85 had *great* production and only mediocre songs, then I'd make a strong argument for why, even if "Love You" is more substantive from artistic point of view, that BB '85 is more immediately accessible. And that may be true in a few song-by-song cases.

But BB '85 has a hand full of good songs, and cheeseball production *almost* across the board. Whereas, "Love You" has stronger songs (though there are clunkers on it as well, e.g. "Mona"), and *weird* but creative production.

Honestly, the main reason I pull out '85 now is for the two Carl "It's Gettin' Late" and "Where I Belong", and in particular the latter. And "Where I Belong" is one of the few songs where the album's production sound works well with the song rather than hinders it.

To be clear, I have favorites on both. I actually think "Passing Friend" has a great catchy chorus and great group vocals (would love to hear isolated vocals on that one).

I think the context of the two albums is most important to keep in mind, and this also brings it back to Brian perhaps performing something from "Love You." The affection that Brian (and Al) have when speaking about "Love You" is not something you hear from *anybody* in the band when it comes to the '85 album. It seems the band members took away more than anything the tedious nature of digital programming and recording. There's one interview where Carl talks about the album like it's a NASA experiment or something.  

I think Passing Friend is a nice song that's probably a minute and a half too long.  I'm also a big fan of Getcha Back and California Calling (despite Al's use of the word "rad").
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:37:44 AM by KDS » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »

Dublin show is sold out.

Should be a great night.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »

I'll be in Orlando early in the tour, hopefully the setlist ends up here, interested to see if there are any changes.
KDS
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

I wonder if Brian, Al, or Paul will mention anything about Chuck Berry's passing tonight
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

I wonder if Brian, Al, or Paul will mention anything about Chuck Berry's passing tonight

Might be a stretch, but maybe they'll dust off Johnny B Goode.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »

No setlist yet, but there's one video on YouTube of the Indio show and it looks like Billy is back:

https://youtu.be/ZM-sC_Y322Q

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:47 AM »

That would be because I saw Darian Friday night with The Zombies playing Odyssey and Oracle in Philly  Cool Guy
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »

Yea i went to the Indio show.. Very good show overall.. The deep cuts were.. The nite was so young.. Let him run wild.. and get this hold on to your hats>>!!!!!! FEEL FLOWS..With a fine lead vocal from Blondie Chaplin.. The first set mixed with hits and deep cuts was outstanding..  Brought tears to my eyes.. Matt also sang Dont worry baby.... Now i have to tread carefully.. I would pay to see Brian sing the phone book with his excellent band.. And i have tickets for hollywood and santa barbara in MAY.. SO.. I have read on this board that BW talks//sings Pet Sounds LP.. WELL.. Thats what he did.. UMM ... I didnt care for that.. He didnt do it on every song tho..Caroline No he sang great.. Also Alan and Matt did alot of singing also on pet sounds.. I guess ive been lucky to see the 2000 + 2001 + 2007 shows..So its not fair to compare in a way.. also Alan sang California and BW sang his ass off on Love and Mercy. I didnt get to see the 2016 shows so i feel lucky.. last time i saw BW was 2015 on his birthday at greek theatre.. Lots of merchandise for sale $$$..I bought the NEW tshirt that wasnt sold last year..  Gary Griffin and Billy Hinsche played keyboards...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »

Wow, that sounds amazing.  Hope they're still doing those songs when I see them in Jersey next month.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

Gah...I need to get off for the houston show!maybe if my medical leave is approved by then I'll be good to go, if not I gotta switch
 I'm off the day before and the day after.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

The deep cuts were.. The nite was so young..

Woah. No way.

That would be because I saw Darian Friday night with The Zombies playing Odyssey and Oracle in Philly  Cool Guy

I was there, too. Weren't they phenomenal?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »

"Feel Flows" -- WOW!

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »

I'm glad they changed up the deep tracks for this part of the tour, hopefully Feel Flows wasn't just a one time thing and it will be there for the rest of the tour.
KDS
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »

Feel Flows has me considering buying a ticket
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx