gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:42:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iain Lee's Opinion Of This Forum: "I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody."  (Read 35632 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »

Iain Lee comments on the Smiley Smile board at 45:15 into the video. Published June 15th, Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast - with Iain Lee #101.

"I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody, without shadow of a doubt, yeah."

https://youtu.be/fp8a_G6YsnA?t=45m15s

Twitter today:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:57:15 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »

Wanker

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »

What do you expect from a 3rd rate british  version of Bubba the Love Sponge?

edit...

heh...'Love' sponge....cause he sponges up all of Mike's 'Love'.

I made a funny!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:23:53 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:58:25 AM »

This guy is a 'wanker'. He wants to kill every member here? Glad he put that out there...perhaps he's not sure how the law works? Now *THAT* is a 'wanker'. What a fucking tool.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »

What do you expect from a 3rd rate british  version of Bubba the Love Sponge?

edit...

heh...'Love' sponge....cause he sponges up all of Mike's 'Love'.

I made a funny!

2025: Iain befriends a depressed former WWE wrestler Bad News Barrett and offers up his wife to cheer the guy up. He then secretly tapes the encounter and leaks it to Gawker, not knowing that Gawker ceased to be in 2016.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:15:37 AM »

2025: Iain befriends a depressed former WWE wrestler Bad News Barrett and offers up his wife to cheer the guy up. He then secretly tapes the encounter and leaks it to Gawker, not knowing that Gawker ceased to be in 2016.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:16:23 AM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:40:16 AM »

Note to the 'nicer' board. Your call, but the 'arseholes' here would ban this tool.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »

Just when the air seemed to have finally cleared and the two boards could get on with their lives. Pity.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 02:02:09 AM »

It's very much a Wilson/Love type vibe going on at the moment between the camps boards.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 02:30:00 AM »

Jedi Duel
this is becoming my favoritve emoji, I can use it for nearly every post and topic these days.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:30:39 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:37:27 AM »

Jedi Duel
this is becoming my favoritve emoji, I can use it for nearly every post and topic these days.

Well there are at least two super-annoying people (IMO) on that board (who shall remain unnamed) so in my mind it's got 2 strikes against it already. That being said, can't we all just get along (both forums I mean)?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:40:24 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 02:42:38 AM »

I'm on both boards, am I a suspect?  Shocked
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 02:45:30 AM »

....or the potential mass murderer?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 02:57:51 AM »

I'm on both boards, am I a suspect?  Shocked

Certainly not. I'd say you were a credit to both boards. :=)

can't we all just get along (both forums I mean)?

Yes, I'm sure the two can get along. In fact it's already been that way for quite long stretches at a time...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:04 AM »

gee, I wish both boards could get along in all seriousness, we are all supposed to be here
to love and share our joy for this wonderful band, it's members and fellow contributors.
sometimes we all need to pull our heads in for stepping over a line, we are human at the
end of the day.  Occasionally it takes someone else to tell us 'hey', then we have to process that
and then react. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree on certain things that come along
because we can all be pretty head strong when we feel we are right.
easier said than done I know, but, if it keeps the peace, it would make everything worthwhile.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:11:15 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:27:06 AM »

gee, I wish both boards could get along in all seriousness, we are all supposed to be here
to love and share our joy for this wonderful band, it's members and fellow contributors.
sometimes we all need to pull our heads in for stepping over a line, we are human at the
end of the day.  Occasionally it takes someone else to tell us 'hey', then we have to process that
and then react. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree on certain things that come along
easier said than done I know, but, if it keeps the peace, it would make everything worthwhile.

Peace is overrated. I kid.  Razz

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 03:41:52 AM »

Iain Lee comments on the Smiley Smile board at 45:15 into the video. Published June 15th, Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast - with Iain Lee #101.

"I'd kill everybody on that board. Everybody, without shadow of a doubt, yeah."

https://youtu.be/fp8a_G6YsnA?t=45m15s

Twitter today:

'This place [Pet Sounds forum] seems nicer'? Ignorance is bliss. Instead of writing off all of those who dislike Mike Love, perhaps he should try to find out why. But if he has read the book and still doesn't know, I suppose there's no hope for him.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 05:58:09 AM »

He says we're batshit, but he's the one who said he wants to kill us.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »

In NO WAY, SHAPE, or FORM are we "the biggest bunch of arseholes online."  Now that Iain's not here anymore it's become a complete impossibility.  He is the scale-tipper...the difference maker...the ass-hole enchilada.

Now?

This place has the 2nd "biggest bunch of arseholes online".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe I'm still alive. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:04:54 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 06:25:19 AM »

This is the best, most logical, post I've seen on here in quite some time. 
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 06:26:36 AM »

Luckily for me I don't give a f*** what he thinks anyway  Afro
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »

hehe! LOL

For the genius of Iain Lee.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »

Very disappointing. It's worth pointing out that that video comes from June 15th (at the latest), and yet he spent 2 and 1/2 more months on a board he seemingly detested so much and whose members he had that level of animosity and disdain for.

Mere days ago, 2 1/2 months after his comments in that video, he posted this:

I get the feeling some people don't like me here. If I've done anything wrong, I apologise. Should I see myself out? I really don't want to be somewhere where people aggressively dislike me. (You'll say no one has been aggressive except me...ok...eye of the beholder and all that)

Serious question. I like the BB. I like talking about the BB. This thread is no a sh*t stirring thread. Swear on my life that's not why I started it. I assumed a few more of you might had proofs and heck, it comes out soon. This was a genuine attempt to get a conversation going. But. There are a few of you who won't believe that and so constantly take shots and have digs at me. If you'd rather I left, I'll go.

That someone would say, outside of the board, such bile-filled things about the board (even if done in a "comedic" setting), and then post months later playing the "victim" and seemingly not understanding why people might dislike him or take issue with his comments, tells me he was either "punking" the board all along and purposely being a sh*t-disturber and essentially what I believe in wrestling would be called "the heel" (no, I haven't watched wrestling since I was about five years old), and/or he just really likes being dramatic and maudlin when people don't agree with him.

Maybe it's a bit of both, but his first posts on the board (Why do you hate Mike Love?, or wording something along those lines), coupled with making the comments in that video and then *continuing* to post on the board for months suggests to me it's mostly about just being a s**t-disturber. I have no reason to doubt he likes the BBs, but perhaps because he's a "comedian" by some definition, he continued to willingly play that "heel" role here and then relish not only the criticism, but the resulting "playing the victim" bit in the aftermath.

As I told him directly in a recent thread, I feel he pretty much *used* the board to manufacture ammo in his pro-Mike article. I presume he left out of his article that he had to troll a board to elicit what he felt were negative comments about Mike.

So he started his time here as a literal s**t-disturber, and apparently for the length of his time here continued to vacillate between s**t-disturbing and then incredulously wondering why people didn't "like" him more.

I get the sense, and this is being as generous as possible, that he both wanted to be a s**t-disturber and also wanted to be, on his own terms, a nerdy BB fan and chat about the band. He wanted it both ways.

To get things a bit more back on topic and not about a person, I also sense he's a younger (relatively) and newer fan of the band, and as I've been saying, I think there's a small "new wave" of fans who haven't spent decades being into the band haven't had Mike Love challenging their bulls**t detector for all that time, so they're more likely to seem confused as to the level of animosity and criticism leveled towards Love.

If you've gotten into the band in the last 5-10 years, you've been able to become *very quickly* a near-expert on the band via Wikipedia, other websites, *this* board (ironically), and so on. There are a million online resources, tons of books, and downloading all of the band's stuff (both official and otherwise) is now just a click away. So you can absorb all of that without having nearly as much context about things like the ills that Mike Love has inflicted over the years (and not just Mike but a myriad of things that *contextualize* the band's history).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:31:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 07:29:25 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen fans of a band who are like fans of the Beach Boys.  Weirdest group of people.   Cheesy
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx