gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:58:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations Success and Smile's Demise  (Read 69530 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »

That's Jules! Walking down the hill next to that on-ramp. Dennis was there too but wasn't shown as much except in outtakes like this:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: January 15, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »

And this is the "firehouse" promo for GV that Brian made with Caleb Deschanel in Fall 66, the one Andrew remembers watching on TV and which, if you read the YouTube comments posted to the video, another fan also remembers seeing when they were in the 3rd grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YzG9NZrI0

Pretty sure this first reappeared, in part, in the 1985 video biog An American Band, albeit backed by the Fire Music. Anyone know better, please chip in.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

That's Jules! Walking down the hill next to that on-ramp. Dennis was there too but wasn't shown as much except in outtakes like this:

Do you know who the basketball woman is?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »

And this is the "firehouse" promo for GV that Brian made with Caleb Deschanel in Fall 66, the one Andrew remembers watching on TV and which, if you read the YouTube comments posted to the video, another fan also remembers seeing when they were in the 3rd grade.

Pretty sure this first reappeared, in part, in the 1985 video biog An American Band, albeit backed by the Fire Music. Anyone know better, please chip in.
Is that where it was being played to Mrs. O'Leary's Cow and they were crazy-talking about Brian's drug use? Cause I thought that was earlier.

duh - just noticed that you said "backed by the fire music."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:11:22 PM by Emily » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »

True - That's when everyone got the impression it was a "Fire" promo, and that the promo Dennis made for Little Honda featuring Carl on a bicycle was a promo for Smile because the AB people cut Smile music to the film.

The comments to YouTube suggest that others remember seeing the firehouse clip aired in the 60's as well.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »

Bringing it all together even more, who was one of the "stars" of that 1966 GV firehouse firehouse video, shown with and without a fire hat?

Jules Siegel!
Wait, I might jump on FilledePlage's team - is he the one who does the creepy walk?

He is! He is the creepy walker! I take it all back, FdP!

Yes, and eww.

We should all be on the same team.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »

The first time I saw the full clip as it was originally made - with the actual GV music - was that compilation Alan Boyd (and Ed Roach) put together for AMC's "Am Pop" series on cable TV. I don't believe it had been seen in full and intact since either 1966 or 1967. I could be wrong.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »

Bringing it all together even more, who was one of the "stars" of that 1966 GV firehouse firehouse video, shown with and without a fire hat?

Jules Siegel!
Wait, I might jump on FilledePlage's team - is he the one who does the creepy walk?

He is! He is the creepy walker! I take it all back, FdP!

Yes, and eww.

We should all be on the same team.  
Ah, don't get me wrong - when I said 'team' I was only referring to opinions regarding Siegel's credibility, not any other context.
But anyone who can walk like that could not possibly write anything I'd want to know about.

ETA: I don't think I have to, but I'm going to put this here just in case:

I'm kidding.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:18:46 PM by Emily » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube...

You're entirely wrong about this, for there was a specific video shot for "GV", which the BBC used on Top Of The Pops in late 1966. Ask anyone whose known me long enough and they'll tell you that long before the footage in question was rediscovered, I was telling fellow fans about seeing a film that included Brian sliding UP a fire pole, and the band chasing a fire engine down the street. At first it was assumed this was a promo for the Fire Music, until it emerged that it was shot roughly a month before that session.
Andrew - was it released for use in the US? TV in the States was whatever you got over-the-air.

Music videos as such did not seem to be a thing until VH1 and MTV became entertainment business models, subsequent was Youtube and other video internet channels.    

I don't know... but you stated that no such promo existed before 1968, and the fact is, it did. I saw it in late 1966 on British national TV when "GV" was being played.
Andrew - did a promo on TV run in the States during that time, post Pet Sounds?

Maybe something was run in the UK...

Ummm... I just said I saw it on UK TV in late 1966, so yes, something was run over here. Craig named two more UK TV shows that ran a "GV" promo earlier. Are you actually reading the responses to your posts ?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »

The first time I saw the full clip as it was originally made - with the actual GV music - was that compilation Alan Boyd (and Ed Roach) put together for AMC's "Am Pop" series on cable TV. I don't believe it had been seen in full and intact since either 1966 or 1967. I could be wrong.
Well, GF2002 and AGD, thanks for this little Beach Boys film history.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »

Do you know who the basketball woman is?

Certainly not Diane Rovell, as has often been suggested.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »

And no GV video ever appeared until the one in 1968, with the guys in the white suits, that is still on Youtube...

You're entirely wrong about this, for there was a specific video shot for "GV", which the BBC used on Top Of The Pops in late 1966. Ask anyone whose known me long enough and they'll tell you that long before the footage in question was rediscovered, I was telling fellow fans about seeing a film that included Brian sliding UP a fire pole, and the band chasing a fire engine down the street. At first it was assumed this was a promo for the Fire Music, until it emerged that it was shot roughly a month before that session.
Andrew - was it released for use in the US? TV in the States was whatever you got over-the-air.

Music videos as such did not seem to be a thing until VH1 and MTV became entertainment business models, subsequent was Youtube and other video internet channels.    

I don't know... but you stated that no such promo existed before 1968, and the fact is, it did. I saw it in late 1966 on British national TV when "GV" was being played.
Andrew - did a promo on TV run in the States during that time, post Pet Sounds?

Maybe something was run in the UK...

Ummm... I just said I saw it on UK TV in late 1966, so yes, something was run over here. Craig named two more UK TV shows that ran a "GV" promo earlier. Are you actually reading the responses to your posts ?

Andrew - is there a video where the Beach Boys actually perform Good Vibrations, similar to the one they did of California Girls in 1965 with Bob Hope and Jack Benny?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

That wasn't a Beach Boys promo film; that was an appearance on the Jack Benny hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1U0wtIl10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338147/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »

This still frame proves the girl bouncing the ball was not Diane Rovell: Because Diane is shown standing next to the firemen, then Michael Vosse is sitting on the ground, and the mystery girl is on the far right, all of them in the same shot. You barely see this shot when watching the film. Looks like they're enjoying a cold soda after a day's filming!

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

That wasn't a Beach Boys promo film; that was an appearance on the Jack Benny hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1U0wtIl10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338147/
That is a form of a promotional package, being on a TV show.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »

Happy Friday to both "teams!" Beer 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:40:34 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:08 AM »

Happy Friday to both "teams!" Beer 

Ugh.

I don't believe you read anything other people post but I'll still ask - I saw how Mike Love wants people to think of Smile in his American Family movie which blatantly rewrote history. Are you trying to attack what Jules wrote in 1967 so Mike can tell his version of the story instead? You're constantly spinning issues to tailor them to the Mike Love version of history. It's mind numbing.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »

Apologies for this being well late, but only just got back and checked the archives. The musicians on the 11/29/66 session ("Jazz"/Friday Night/I'm In Great Shape/Woodshop) were:

Bill Pitman - guitar & vibes (1 double)
Diane Rovell -  (contractor)
Gene Estes - vibes & perc (1 double)
James Gordon - drums & sound effects (1 double)
Carol Kaye - guitar & board drop (1 double)
Larry Levine
Lyle Ritz - string bass & drill (1 double)
David Oppenheim - uncredited percussion/sawing

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 16, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »

Apologies for this being well late, but only just got back and checked the archives. The musicians on the 11/29/66 session ("Jazz"/Friday Night/I'm In Great Shape/Woodshop) were:

Larry Levine

Thanks Andrew.
I googled a 'board drop' and got some skateboards, but when I added 'hammer' to the search I got some serious looking equipment.
I see that guests aren't registered, so was Diane Rovell there in an official recording-related capacity?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 16, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Emily - As contractor, she booked the musicians through the local musicians' union - obviously, per Brian's requirements.  As I understand it, she would need to be at the sessions for the contracts - kind of what a secretary or assistant would do.  Whether she needed to stay was another matter someone else should probably address.  Pretty basic stuff, but essential. Brian provided a lot of family members with employment.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:44:35 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 16, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »

Emily - As contractor, she booked the musicians through the local musicians' union - obviously, per Brian's requirements.  As I understand it, she would need to be at the sessions for the contracts - kind of what a secretary or assistant would do.  Whether she needed to stay was another matter someone else should probably address.  Pretty basic stuff, but essential. Brian provided a lot of family members with employment.
Thank you Debbie KL! I was unaware there was a role that was the Contractor. I assumed she was listed as 'a contractor' generically, like a person working on contract, rather than the person who is the contractor. So it's similar to the role of a construction contractor. Got it!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: January 16, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »

Larry Levine

Thanks Andrew.
I googled a 'board drop' and got some skateboards, but when I added 'hammer' to the search I got some serious looking equipment.

I'm assuming that "board drop" was just that - dropping a board.  Smiley

In case you're not aware, Larry Levine was the recording engineer (at Gold Star) and Oppenheim was the director who was making a TV documentary about the 'new' pop music.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »

Larry Levine

Thanks Andrew.

I'm assuming that "board drop" was just that - dropping a board.  Smiley

In case you're not aware, Larry Levine was the recording engineer (at Gold Star) and Oppenheim was the director who was making a TV documentary about the 'new' pop music.
It's entertaining that they got Oppenheim in on the act. That documentary is on YouTube in full. It's interesting if a little weird in that 60's kind of way.
Thanks for telling me about Levine. I think Britz and Desper are the only BB engineer names I'm familiar with (and now Levine).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx