gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134302 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »

Whoever did it, totally wrong that it includes a quote from Sir George Martin that was made about another band - Brian's band, as Debbie pointed out.

Maybe I am confused, but The Beach Boys played GV live post-release.  Could they do it? I have an old 1967 show streaming right now.  

Was that the Sir George Martin query?  Of course other bands could do it decades post.  The Beach Boys are Brian's band; but a cooperative venture, not the solo Brian band.  

That video, appears to be a cobbled-assemblage of various videos over time.  Could just have easily been a school project.  It is just a mini-snapshot.  A documentary, it ain't.    Wink

The Sir George Martin quote in the video related not to The Beach Boys, either then or now but to the Brian Wilson band. It was quoted out of context.

Then it is out of context 40 years post, I think.  The Beach Boys did the live version post-release.  They were capable of performing it live.  This person may have the time-context off.  I don't think is a big deal.  It is difficult to put 55+ years in exactly the correct chronological order. 

George Martin would have known full-well that The Beach Boys had performed it post-release. And, very well with Carl Wilson on lead.   Wink   

LOL best argument yet. So George Martin can't say that Brian's band can perform Good Vibrations well because that accomplishment was done 40 years prior and onward by another band. We really can't admit that a quote attributed to Brian's band and their hard work was misrepresented in this video? No, it's George martin's fault! Of course!

LOL Wink Wink Wink Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2016, 06:48:13 AM »

Whoever did it, totally wrong that it includes a quote from Sir George Martin that was made about another band - Brian's band, as Debbie pointed out.

Maybe I am confused, but The Beach Boys played GV live post-release.  Could they do it? I have an old 1967 show streaming right now.  

Was that the Sir George Martin query?  Of course other bands could do it decades post.  The Beach Boys are Brian's band; but a cooperative venture, not the solo Brian band.  

That video, appears to be a cobbled-assemblage of various videos over time.  Could just have easily been a school project.  It is just a mini-snapshot.  A documentary, it ain't.    Wink

The Sir George Martin quote in the video related not to The Beach Boys, either then or now but to the Brian Wilson band. It was quoted out of context.

Then it is out of context 40 years post, I think.  The Beach Boys did the live version post-release.  They were capable of performing it live.  This person may have the time-context off.  I don't think is a big deal.  It is difficult to put 55+ years in exactly the correct chronological order. 

George Martin would have known full-well that The Beach Boys had performed it post-release. And, very well with Carl Wilson on lead.   Wink   

You've missed the point entirely.

George Martin said that about the brian Wilson band NOT the beach boys. And at the time of him saying that, brian was the only beach boy in the brian Wilson band.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2016, 06:54:58 AM »

LOL best argument yet. So George Martin can't say that Brian's band can perform Good Vibrations well because that accomplishment was done 40 years prior and onward by another band. We really can't admit that a quote attributed to Brian's band and their hard work was misrepresented in this video? No, it's George martin's fault! Of course!

LOL Wink Wink Wink Wink
rab - Was Martin "in the company of" Brian's band? Would he say nice things about them?  Of course he would.  They are great.  It does not detract from their greatness, which is not in question as far as I am concerned.  Sir George could speak as he pleased.

But, let's not forget that when GV was put together, Carl was barely out of his teens, and Dennis who was on drums/percussion was in his early 20's and they tackled it, performing night after night.  A listen to the Youtubes from 1967 will bear that out.  Wink

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »

You've missed the point entirely.

George Martin said that about the brian Wilson band NOT the beach boys. And at the time of him saying that, brian was the only beach boy in the brian Wilson band.
Woodstock - in a video lasting about a minute and a half, there were the Brother logos, a clip from Mike Douglas circa 1968-9, and some banter.  If he got 95% correct, that is not too bad, and there are links to various BRI-connected websites so it must be pretty much on target. 

If Martin says something nice about Brian's band does it mean that he thinks no one else is capable or has been capable of doing GV, live?  I don't think so.  I think the original BB's are certainly incorporated by reference contained in the video clips.    The different configurations remind me of a Venn Diagram with the BB's in the center.  It is how I think of them and how I can appreciate all versions playing this music.  It makes it easy.  Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2016, 07:06:48 AM »

LOL Wink Wink Wink Wink
rab - Was Martin "in the company of" Brian's band? Would he say nice things about them?  Of course he would.  They are great.  It does not detract from their greatness, which is not in question as far as I am concerned.  Sir George could speak as he pleased.

But, let's not forget that when GV was put together, Carl was barely out of his teens, and Dennis who was on drums/percussion was in his early 20's and they tackled it, performing night after night.  A listen to the Youtubes from 1967 will bear that out.  Wink

No one is saying any differently. It is still a fact that George Martin's quote was misrepresented in this case...No matter what his opinion is of other bands performing the song well. Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »

Then it is out of context 40 years post, I think.  The Beach Boys did the live version post-release.  They were capable of performing it live.  This person may have the time-context off.  I don't think is a big deal.  It is difficult to put 55+ years in exactly the correct chronological order.  

George Martin would have known full-well that The Beach Boys had performed it post-release. And, very well with Carl Wilson on lead.   Wink  

LOL Wink Wink Wink Wink

No one is saying any differently. It is still a fact that George Martin's quote was misrepresented in this case...No matter what his opinion is of other bands performing the song well. Wink

Found this with the original BB's singing.  Martin references The Beach Boys at the beginning of this video which is marked "for Education." Hope it copies.  I can't tell if Martin was wearing a seat belt or if those cars even had them.  LOL

http://youtu.be/CnVyCuc9_P8
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:23:01 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »

Martin's quote is about the BW band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »

Martin's quote is about the BW band.

Someone could ask Noven to correct it, or you could comment on the video in his Youtube fan page and explain that the remark doesn't reflect that Martin thinks the Beach Boys could/did perform GV in concert but is just in reference to a performance by Brian and his band.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »

Yeah but filleplage seems to think differently on the quote context. There is a difference between the BBs and the BW band/ M&B even without this willful abuse of this quote.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2016, 08:23:30 AM »

#makethetouringbandgreatagain

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »

Then it is out of context 40 years post, I think.  The Beach Boys did the live version post-release.  They were capable of performing it live.  This person may have the time-context off.  I don't think is a big deal.  It is difficult to put 55+ years in exactly the correct chronological order.  

George Martin would have known full-well that The Beach Boys had performed it post-release. And, very well with Carl Wilson on lead.   Wink  

LOL Wink Wink Wink Wink

Found this with the original BB's singing.  Martin references The Beach Boys at the beginning of this video which is marked "for Education." Hope it copies.  I can't tell if Martin was wearing a seat belt or if those cars even had them.  LOL

http://youtu.be/CnVyCuc9_P8

I can't remember exactly which programme the Sir George Martin quote came from but I'm guessing either Art That Shook the world or else the three parter on Melody, Harmony and Rhythm, both of which were done for UK TV and at a time when the original Beach Boys were NOT together - not even during the C50. The quote was about Brian's band, not the Beach Boys, however good Sir George's opinion of The Beach Boys may have been. It's like using a Pepsi Cola advert to advertise Coke, even if the person drinking it liked both.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »

Yeah but filleplage seems to think differently on the quote context. There is a difference between the BBs and the BW band/ M&B even without this willful abuse of this quote.
Smile Brian - I took the time to do a search on Martin. Willful abuse?  I think not, and if you can find the relevant video of Martin referring to Brian's band, it would be much appreciated.  

Martin is in the studio with Brian and working on a little remix of GOK with Carl on lead.  

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2016, 08:34:16 AM »

#makethetouringbandgreatagain
#stillwaitingforthecheck

LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »

No Wilsons were ever in the M&B rented BBs band. George Martin meant the BW band in his quote.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »

Smile Brian - I took the time to do a search on Martin. Willful abuse?  I think not, and if you can find the relevant video of Martin referring to Brian's band, it would be much appreciated.  

Martin is in the studio with Brian and working on a little remix of GOK with Carl on lead.  

It's very, very easy to find the full quote, as I offered the reference pages back.  It is directly from the video made in March 2001 - "A Tribute to Brian Wilson."  I was at the event at Radio City Music Hall, as were many others.  Sir George Martin was on the stage describing the brilliance of Brian Wilson's studio abilities and how he was essentially doing what Sir George and all of the Beatles were doing together at that time.  He was introducing the Brian Wilson's band's performance and how it was difficult to imagine anyone genuinely recreating that music, but "this band can do it."  Go look at the video - very well-known - from this event.  That is where it came from.  Any more questions?  

Never mind, I'm sure you'll have some convoluted reference to how he was "really" referring to the late 60's BBs.  It was not.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:53:58 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »

It's very, very easy to find the full quote, as I offered the reference pages back.  It is directly from the video made in March 2001 - "A Tribute to Brian Wilson."  I was at the event at Radio City Music Hall, as were many others.  Sir George Martin was on the stage describing the brilliance of Brian Wilson's studio abilities and how he was essentially doing what Sir George and all of the Beatles were doing together at that time.  He was introducing the Brian Wilson's band's performance and how it was difficult to imagine anyone genuinely recreating that music, but "this band can do it."  Go look at the video - very well-known - from this event.  That is where it came from.  Any more questions?  

Never mind, I'm sure you'll have some convoluted reference to how he was "really" referring to the late 60's BBs.  It was not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvmqWnPxxE

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvmqWnPxxE
Thanks Rocker - that was what I was exactly looking to see. 

The Martin interview both with Brian at his home at the piano and in the studio re-working GOK was what I found first.  Thank you.   Wink 

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2016, 10:06:36 AM »

Thanks Debbie for making this clear. A pity that the video didn't.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »

Roll Eyes  One of these days this sort of conversation is going to end up with my eyes stuck looking upward.
The point of Martin's quote was that the band Brian Wilson put together can perform GV in a way that actually sounds like the recording as no other band ever has. And they do. And it's amazing.
If the video is just a fan video, it's maybe a perfectly reasonable mistake that someone got it out of context, but in that case he/she should correct it and remove the logo. If it's an official video, it's pretty wrong to use the quote. Why is this even debatable? Ugh.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »

Here's the full clip of George Martin from the All-Star Tribute:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJTLu4UiJ7o
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »

Here's the full clip of George Martin from the All-Star Tribute:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJTLu4UiJ7o
Thanks for that.  Paul McCartney with that haircut! OMG!

The other video above that I linked above, was from a 1997 in the UK program called "The Rhythm of Life," and was listed as run on US TV in 1999. It is on imdb and the list of those who were featured are there.   

If filmed in 1997, it was prior to Carl's passing in early 1998.  I wonder if GOK was worked on in the studio by Brian and Sir George with Carl in mind, as he was on everyone's mind, late in 1997.

At any rate, thank you for finding that more comprehensive clip.   Wink
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2016, 11:30:11 PM »

Mike posted on Facebook that they are now doing six songs from Pet Sounds, with more to be added later in the tour!

Caroline No (Jeff)
You still believe in me (Brian E)
Here Today (Mike/Bruce)

And of course the staples WIBN, GOJ, SJB

Any bets on what will be added next?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2016, 11:36:06 PM »

they may as well go all the way and be "Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson' Presents Pet Sounds Tour 2016'.
These camps are pathetic.  Both now with near matching setlists. 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »

Mike posted on Facebook that they are now doing six songs from Pet Sounds, with more to be added later in the tour!

Caroline No (Jeff)
You still believe in me (Brian E)
Here Today (Mike/Bruce)

And of course the staples WIBN, GOJ, SJB

Any bets on what will be added next?

Trombone Dixie

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »

they may as well go all the way and be "Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson' Presents Pet Sounds Tour 2016'.
These camps are pathetic.  Both now with near matching setlists. 

Pathetic? Far from it! I think all the touring bands including Al's and Dave's when they get gigs, are great!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx