gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:06:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135079 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »

Really like this version of WIBN from a recent show. Seems like they've rearranged a bit to be more faithful to the Pet Sounds track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnlSqXq4m6k
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »

Really like this version of WIBN from a recent show. Seems like they've rearranged a bit to be more faithful to the Pet Sounds track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnlSqXq4m6k

Sounds great!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »

they may as well go all the way and be "Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson' Presents Pet Sounds Tour 2016'.
These camps are pathetic.  Both now with near matching setlists.  

Pathetic? Far from it! I think all the touring bands including Al's and Dave's when they get gigs, are great!

the gigs are great, the 'he's doing this, we better do it too' crap is childish.  both camps are guilty as hell now.

so who are more the Beach Boys now?  Mike n Bruce or Brian, Al n Blondie?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:59:57 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »

they may as well go all the way and be "Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys Presents Brian Wilson' Presents Pet Sounds Tour 2016'.

Pathetic? Far from it! I think all the touring bands including Al's and Dave's when they get gigs, are great!

the gigs are great, the 'he's doing this, we better do it too' crap is childish.  both camps are guilty as hell now.

I try to look at the big picture.  Both main bands are performing 6+ Pet Sounds tracks to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds!  This is a win-win for everybody, Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie, the hard core fans, the casual fans, etc.  Motives matter very little to me when I'm there enjoying the show.  All 4 of the bands celebrate the Beach Boys music that we love in a quality way.  The reasons why different bands add certain songs is not an issue to me.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2016, 05:09:29 AM »

The intro video shown in KC last night is well done but not one that has been in discussion here or is up on Noven's fan video Youtube channel. The film shown was almost entirely historical footage of the band's whole career, there was no George Martin, there were a few seconds of modern scenes near the end but they were cut so fast I couldn't even pick out who it was images of.  Maybe someone else who has actually seen it can join in too in case I missed, misunderstood, or forgot something.

I think our long national nightmare of Novengate is finally over (because it never began).

The show was great by the way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:54:15 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2016, 05:14:10 AM »

I try to look at the big picture.  Both main bands are performing 6+ Pet Sounds tracks to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds!  This is a win-win for everybody, Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie, the hard core fans, the casual fans, etc.  Motives matter very little to me when I'm there enjoying the show.  All 4 of the bands celebrate the Beach Boys music that we love in a quality way.  The reasons why different bands add certain songs is not an issue to me.

+1

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2016, 05:56:28 AM »

I'm glad you had a good time, Cam. Do you have any anecdotes or the set list or anything?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »

I find it remarkable that Mike is singing lead to Rhonda now.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »

I'm glad you had a good time, Cam. Do you have any anecdotes or the set list or anything?

Hopefully the setlist will be posted on FB, I don't take notes or anything.  There were deep cuts and hits. I teared up during GOK.  The PS section was very nice. They all sounded great. I have no complaints, except Scott wasn't singing (sore throat I heard), but he was still killing it on guitar (and is one dapper son of a gun).

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »

At the show in Hong Kong I saw 2 months ago that was the strongest lead of the night by anyone...cept maybe Brian on YSBIM

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

Maybe it's another way for Mike to stick it to Al. I could imagine that in '64/'65, Mike might have wished that he himself would have gotten to be the lead singer on the studio recording of The BBs' second #1 hit - especially once it became a huge hit. Now there's no pesky guy around to steal away that thunder from him.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:29:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »

Mike is getting increasingly twisted in white-washing out the other BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »

Maybe it's another way for Mike to stick it to Al. I could imagine that in '64/'65, Mike might have wished that he himself would have gotten to be the lead singer on the studio recording of The BBs' second #1 hit - especially once it became a huge hit. Now there's no pesky guy around to steal away that thunder from him.

That's really stretching it, imo.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »

That's really stretching it, imo.

I'm not saying that not having Al around is some evil plotted scheme to steal the HMR vocal. But it kinda feels like a poker game, where Mike won, and reclaiming that vocal once Al is no longer around is just one of the chips Mike gets to take home at the end of the night. Just how it feels to me.

Meanwhile, in Al's recent ESQ interview, he goes out of his way to publicly praise Mike's voice as an essential part of The BB live onstage sound, and sincerely laments Mike's talented vocal chops not being present during the current BW Pet Sounds tour.

Mike's comparative silence on the matter speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:03:45 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »

You don't imagine it has everything to do with it being one of their #1 hits?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:17:36 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »

Mike is getting increasingly twisted in white-washing out the other BBs.

Yeah, he'll be singing God Only Knows and Good Vibrations next! 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »

With 150 shows a year it wouldn't have anything to do with the group mixing things up a bit themselves to keep things interesting now would it? Razz

Dennis sang HMR back in the day as well.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »

Somebody's gotta sing it. It would be stranger to leave it out altogether than for Mike to sing it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: May 15, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »

Both bands doing more rare cuts isn't a bad thing (I think Mike doing a few personal Brian-centric songs is a bit distasteful in light of choosing to ditch Brian in 2012), but I don't think it's quite a "win win", it's more like a best case scenario for a band and brand that can't get their s**t together and be together.

I've never understood the "more touring bands is better!" thing, at least after 2012. It's like the kid with divorced parents saying getting two Christmases is better. No, it's just making the best of a bummer of a situation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:23:01 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: May 15, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »

With 150 shows a year it wouldn't have anything to do with the group mixing things up a bit themselves to keep things interesting now would it? Razz

Is this the only song that has now been sung by 4 different Beach Boys? (5 if you include Brian solo?)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 15, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »

Is this the only song that has now been sung by 4 different Beach Boys? (5 if you include Brian solo?)

All of them "getting increasingly twisted in white-washing out" Al no doubt.   Wink

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:02:57 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »

All of them "getting increasingly twisted in white-washing out" Al no doubt.   Wink

I fail to see how that is an answer to either one of the questions you quoted.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »

I fail to see how that is an answer to either one of the questions you quoted.

Fair enough. Nevermind, it was a joke.

lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 15, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »

I believe the Mike and Bruce shows have gotten stronger with the addition of a woodwinds player into the fold.  When i saw them in February they had a great fellow named Jim Verdeur playing with them in a North East US run.  To my untrained ear it sounds like having a Bass Sax on WIBN would free one of Timmys keyboards up to syth an accordion in WIBN.  Also Jeffrey playing his model italia JF12 12 string guitar on some of the 12 strings adds another great layer of sound!  The opening to WIBN seems to be completely accurate to the original record with two 12 string guitars!

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 15, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

Looks like they added the lyric "we find" after blossom world.  Pretty cool to hear that.  I think it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdPv4hSI5HA
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx