gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:07:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135136 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »

One thing I'm really curious about is these Noven Jaisi videos. Agd swore on his authority that they were entirely fan made - he went as far as to be very mocking about how right he was - and it turns out now that they are official? Doe was also saying he had nothing to do with Mike's book. If think he lied about a lot of stuff...its very curious.

Just look
https://youtu.be/DwacdCTw3ZI

Do you know the video being used now in concert is the video discussed in November 2015? Which one of these fan videos is the "official" video being used as an intro at the BBs' concerts? Is it one of those on Noven's Youtube page? Is it on a Facebook page?  Has anyone one seen the video at concert?  

What does that have to do with the latest Jaisi video link and the misrepresentation of Sir George Martin's comments, and the video's obvious associations with Mike Love's pages and sites?  Whether it's played at concerts or not, it appears to be used for promotion of those concerts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:03:01 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2016, 07:18:51 AM »

Scott Totten taking over the reins of the Mike and Bruce show in 2008 was to the band's benefit; he was able to build upon the progression that Chris Farmer oversaw as band leader and the band ended up being better for it. Getting rid of Mike Kowalski was a WELCOME change from where I sit. They went from being dire (1998-2003) to serious competition (2004-08) to very close to Brian's group (2009-now). (I think) Scott said himself that Mike picks the songs for the gigs.

I don't doubt for one minute that Brian inspired Mike and Bruce (and by proxy, Scott as band leader) to greater heights as a touring band. They should keep racing up that ladder. Both bands put on excellent shows for their respective markets.

Great post...although the videos I've seen from 2004-2008 are still pretty rough...but I can vouch that Mike & Scott prepare the set together before each show...like, RIGHT before the show...and that doesn't mean it sticks either. Scott added "Good To My Baby" when I saw them in '13 on the fly and Mike had them remove "All I Wanna Do" right before its spot in the show when I just saw them in February. I've also seen shows where they've had the "Rock and Roll Music" and "Do You Wanna Dance" duo on the set, but cut them...presumably because the crowds sucked.

I do believe All I Wanna Do was cut from the Baltimore show in February because the audience didn't seem to be intro the ballads they were doing in the 2nd half of the show (All This is That, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, etc).

It seems like they've added some more uptempo numbers (ie Dance Dance Dance) to the 2nd half of show. 
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2016, 07:34:14 AM »

I've seen the Mike and Bruce touring band several times and enjoyed the show. Sure, it's heavy on the hits, but I happen to like the hits, so that's no problem for me. Yes, Mike's stage schtick is lame and aging poorly, but he's always been less than cool. I just took the view that he's a dork, but he's our dork.

But, that was before C50. When I went to that concert, I saw what was missing. The whole really was greater than the sum of its parts. C50 was a glimpse of what had made The Beach Boys great and what The Beach Boys could be going forward. But, it didn't go forward, and that was apparently Mike's choice.

But, even that kind of contention isn't new, and I could have re-embraced Mike's band if he had shown any class whatsoever after the break down. What has soured me on seeing them again has been Mike's passive-aggressive swipes at Brian Wilson since C50, his constant insinuations about Brian's  "condition", his Murry-like "I'm a misunderstood genius, too" mantra and his attempts to recreate the C50 formula without the very things that really made it special. Like, you know, the other Beach Boys.

So, if Mike continues to go into every interview making publicly hateful comments about the reunion, his band mates, Brian's health, family and music, all the while trying to one-up or copy him (Brian's got a new record? Well, so what. I've got this song. Brian's getting a bio? Well… me too. Nyeh!), I reserve the right to conclude that he's a bitter old man who feels threatened by his supposedly poor, incapacitated cousin. I also reserve the right to skip his concerts. And, as long as he continues to put these comments forward in the media, I reserve the right to reasonably discuss my opinions on a Beach Boys discussion forum.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:51:32 AM by Cyncie » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »

Scott Totten taking over the reins of the Mike and Bruce show in 2008 was to the band's benefit; he was able to build upon the progression that Chris Farmer oversaw as band leader and the band ended up being better for it. Getting rid of Mike Kowalski was a WELCOME change from where I sit. They went from being dire (1998-2003) to serious competition (2004-08) to very close to Brian's group (2009-now). (I think) Scott said himself that Mike picks the songs for the gigs.

I don't doubt for one minute that Brian inspired Mike and Bruce (and by proxy, Scott as band leader) to greater heights as a touring band. They should keep racing up that ladder. Both bands put on excellent shows for their respective markets.

Great post...although the videos I've seen from 2004-2008 are still pretty rough...but I can vouch that Mike & Scott prepare the set together before each show...like, RIGHT before the show...and that doesn't mean it sticks either. Scott added "Good To My Baby" when I saw them in '13 on the fly and Mike had them remove "All I Wanna Do" right before its spot in the show when I just saw them in February. I've also seen shows where they've had the "Rock and Roll Music" and "Do You Wanna Dance" duo on the set, but cut them...presumably because the crowds sucked.

I do believe All I Wanna Do was cut from the Baltimore show in February because the audience didn't seem to be intro the ballads they were doing in the 2nd half of the show (All This is That, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, etc).

It seems like they've added some more uptempo numbers (ie Dance Dance Dance) to the 2nd half of show.  

I've always wondered how accurate any band's perception of the audience can be from the stage. Obviously, if people are booing or completely silent, you can tell. When McCartney launches into a "new album" song in a 20,000 seat arena and 5,000 people get up to get a drink at the same time, you can tell. But the "mood" of an audience can be somewhat subjective, especially from the stage, when it's simply some lighter applause.

I'm also curious why in some shows, the quiet, slow songs are backloaded in the setlist, performed in the second half. I get it, you want to start a show off energetically. But even going back to the 80s and 90s, I always felt that *after* doing several uptempo, "hit" songs, *that* would be the place to drop an obscure tune or two, because people are still amped up just to be at a show.

I'd also argue that "All I Wanna Do" plods less than "All This Is That." I love "All This Is That", but I remember during C50 that *that* was one some casual fans found more tedious, especially the manta-like refrain "I'm that, thou art that, all this is that" over and over and over. Mike's longwinded intro to the song probably didn't help either.

But it's also weird, because "It's OK" has gone over like a lead balloon every time I've seen or heard it done (nobody hates it, just nobody seem to remember it; it might as well be "Goin' to the Beach" to many or most), both on C50 and in Mike's post-2012 set. When they did it in 1982 nobody seemed to care either. I guess Mike just really likes that song. Indeed, it probably *should* have been a bigger hit than "Rock and Roll Music", and I recall someone (perhaps Jon Stebbins) posting some interesting theories about how it could have been a bigger hit. But I digress....

As others have been saying, I'd say those who enjoy the breadth of Mike's current show setlists have three main "influences" to thank: Brian (and his band), Scott Totten, and to a small degree Al (his 1999 tour anyway).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:03:44 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »

HJ,

I'd throw Jeff Foskett and Brian Eichenberger in there too. 

As for It's OK.  I've noticed that's one up tempo song that fails to move the crowd also.  Even the relatively unknown Goin to the Beach has gotten crowds moving more than It's OK as the shows I've seen. 

I've have gladly traded All This is That for All I Wanna Do.  I love both songs, but I'd seen All This is That at a C50 show.  At the C50 show, the audience around me (in the lawn) all started talking among themselves.  During the theater show in February, the audience just seemed bored. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:56 AM »

HJ,

Both of those guys are good singers and musicians, and I can't imagine are anything but a plus. But I think the main large leap in quality of the shows, especially the setlists but also the overall performance quality, happened in the later 2000s when Kowalski departed, Totten took a more prominent role, and they all of a sudden realized they could do more deep cuts, especially in the UK.

But I can be pretty darn objective about Mike's band; I have no sentimental favorite. Totten really deserves more credit for Mike's band than anyone that has played with Mike post-1998.

What Brian *should* have done is lured Totten and Cowsill from Mike's band. I love all the guys in Brian's band and wouldn't want to throw any of them under the bus, but I wouldn't mind losing Lizik and having Cowsill trade off on drums with Mikey, have Mikey do bass, maybe trade off with Probyn. Literally the C50 band, but with Matt on falsetto, and maybe Blondie in there, would be awesome.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »

HJ,

Both of those guys are good singers and musicians, and I can't imagine are anything but a plus. But I think the main large leap in quality of the shows, especially the setlists but also the overall performance quality, happened in the later 2000s when Kowalski departed, Totten took a more prominent role, and they all of a sudden realized they could do more deep cuts, especially in the UK.

But I can be pretty darn objective about Mike's band; I have no sentimental favorite. Totten really deserves more credit for Mike's band than anyone that has played with Mike post-1998.

What Brian *should* have done is lured Totten and Cowsill from Mike's band. I love all the guys in Brian's band and wouldn't want to throw any of them under the bus, but I wouldn't mind losing Lizik and having Cowsill trade off on drums with Mikey, have Mikey do bass, maybe trade off with Probyn. Literally the C50 band, but with Matt on falsetto, and maybe Blondie in there, would be awesome.

If Brian lured anyone away from Mike's band, I think we'd never hear the end of Mike complaining about Brian and/or Melinda doing such a dastardly deed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »

The problem with "It's OK" is that they do it WAY too slow to put it in with those early surf songs that they burn through in ninety seconds. It kills the mood. It sounds great, but it doesn't fit with the sequencing, even if the lyrical content does.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »

The problem with "It's OK" is that they do it WAY too slow to put it in with those early surf songs that they burn through in ninety seconds. It kills the mood. It sounds great, but it doesn't fit with the sequencing, even if the lyrical content does.

They play it a little slower probably, but they also change the drum pattern. Instead of the standard snare on the 2 and 4 beat on the verses, as it is on the original recording, they do that "Be My Baby" sort of pattern with the snare on the 4. That's what really makes it plod. I've even heard some C50 recordings where Cowsill starts to the play the original pattern, and then quickly corrects it to the other pattern.

The different drum pattern, the slower tempo, as well as dropping the key, all do kind of suck the energy out of the original recording. I've never been a big fan of the song, but the original recording at least has some pep to it.

I've always wondered if it's a coincidence or not that the "new" opening to the song added to the live arrangement sounds very similar to the intro to the unreleased "Skatetown USA."

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »

I've seen the Mike and Bruce touring band several times and enjoyed the show. Sure, it's heavy on the hits, but I happen to like the hits, so that's no problem for me. Yes, Mike's stage schtick is lame and aging poorly, but he's always been less than cool. I just took the view that he's a dork, but he's our dork.

But, that was before C50. When I went to that concert, I saw what was missing. The whole really was greater than the sum of its parts. C50 was a glimpse of what had made The Beach Boys great and what The Beach Boys could be going forward. But, it didn't go forward, and that was apparently Mike's choice.

But, even that kind of contention isn't new, and I could have re-embraced Mike's band if he had shown any class whatsoever after the break down. What has soured me on seeing them again has been Mike's passive-aggressive swipes at Brian Wilson since C50, his constant insinuations about Brian's  "condition", his Murry-like "I'm a misunderstood genius, too" mantra and his attempts to recreate the C50 formula without the very things that really made it special. Like, you know, the other Beach Boys.

So, if Mike continues to go into every interview making publicly hateful comments about the reunion, his band mates, Brian's health, family and music, all the while trying to one-up or copy him (Brian's got a new record? Well, so what. I've got this song. Brian's getting a bio? Well… me too. Nyeh!), I reserve the right to conclude that he's a bitter old man who feels threatened by his supposedly poor, incapacitated cousin. I also reserve the right to skip his concerts. And, as long as he continues to put these comments forward in the media, I reserve the right to reasonably discuss my opinions on a Beach Boys discussion forum.

+10

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

They play it a little slower probably, but they also change the drum pattern. Instead of the standard snare on the 2 and 4 beat on the verses, as it is on the original recording, they do that "Be My Baby" sort of pattern with the snare on the 4. That's what really makes it plod. I've even heard some C50 recordings where Cowsill starts to the play the original pattern, and then quickly corrects it to the other pattern.

The different drum pattern, the slower tempo, as well as dropping the key, all do kind of suck the energy out of the original recording. I've never been a big fan of the song, but the original recording at least has some pep to it.

I've always wondered if it's a coincidence or not that the "new" opening to the song added to the live arrangement sounds very similar to the intro to the unreleased "Skatetown USA."

I agree with your earlier assessment that It's OK should've been a bigger hit than Rock and Roll Music. 

I wasn't too sad when Rock and Roll Music didn't make the setlists the last two times I saw M&B in concert. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2016, 01:02:16 PM »

It's Ok really rocked when they would rip through it at record breaking speed in the late 70s.  Still one of my favorites to hear anyway.

When I saw M and B this past summer, it was a small theatre and the set list was amazing. One of the best I ever heard, we got Til I Die and I thought for sure ok here we go " All I Wanna Do" is going to be played and then.......Cool Head and Warm Heart. Talk about a punch in the gut. Still a great set list but what if!?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »

That intro was used as early as 2005 or so. Regarding tempo, If you listen to the Newcastle 2004 show, it was done in an energetic tempo. In the mid 2000s, with the intro, it was part of the opening set and was fast and worked well. During the C50 shows, this was definitely a crowd energy vampire. I really was happy to see it make the set list, but disappointed in the result. This was one of probably just a handful of songs that I was disappointed in during the otherwise stellar year of shows.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »

I agree with your earlier assessment that It's OK should've been a bigger hit than Rock and Roll Music. 

I wasn't too sad when Rock and Roll Music didn't make the setlists the last two times I saw M&B in concert. 

I think I'm one of a few that really really likes Rock And Roll Music in a live setting. It's almost always one of the highlights for me.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »

One thing I'm really curious about is these Noven Jaisi videos. Agd swore on his authority that they were entirely fan made - he went as far as to be very mocking about how right he was - and it turns out now that they are official? Doe was also saying he had nothing to do with Mike's book. If think he lied about a lot of stuff...its very curious.

Just look
https://youtu.be/DwacdCTw3ZI

Do you know the video being used now in concert is the video discussed in November 2015? Which one of these fan videos is the "official" video being used as an intro at the BBs' concerts? Is it one of those on Noven's Youtube page? Is it on a Facebook page?  Has anyone one seen the video at concert?  

What does that have to do with the latest Jaisi video link and the misrepresentation of Sir George Martin's comments, and the video's obvious associations with Mike Love's pages and sites?  Whether it's played at concerts or not, it appears to be used for promotion of those concerts.

Nothing, I wasn't talking about that video.  I was talking about the video discussed in November 2015 and whatever is the video being shown at BBs' concert now. Unless someone knows that video you are talking about is the one being shown at the BBs current concerts. Is it?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »

I think I'm one of a few that really really likes Rock And Roll Music in a live setting. It's almost always one of the highlights for me.

If the crowd is into Rock and Roll Music, it serves its purpose...but it's still an awful arrangement of the song.  Shocked
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »

If the crowd is into Rock and Roll Music, it serves its purpose...but it's still an awful arrangement of the song.  Shocked

I love the live arrangement!! And the 45 version that was on GH3. The Album version is horrible.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »

I imagine M&B have 1-2 songs that could be dropped on the spot due to time constraints or even Mike getting tired. R&R Music could be one such song. The likes of Cali Girls, Kokomo etc, never.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2016, 12:48:01 AM »

I imagine M&B have 1-2 songs that could be dropped on the spot due to time constraints or even Mike getting tired. R&R Music could be one such song. The likes of Cali Girls, Kokomo etc, never.
During a recent San Diego show (where they played two shows in one night), they dropped rock and roll music, though it was on the printed setlist, due to time constraints. I do remember a recent Mike interview where he mentioned that he gets burned out on that song occasionally.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2016, 04:32:10 AM »

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been an official answer on these Noven Jaisi videos - why does the latest video have a Brother and Capitol Records logo if it isn't official? Anyone?

It sure seems official

Mike's management say the video is nothing to do with them. Seems to be a fan creation, although they admit it's very well done.

Definitely worthy of the criticism. The video is labeled "Still Tourin'" and is based largely on clips from a lineup and tour that was far greater in quality of music and quantity of seats per venue than what is actually on the road "still tourin'" right now. Despicable.

So... the guy who put it together is despicable ? Bit harsh, isn't it ?

Oh, wait...you're  thinking this is official BRI product. How amusing. Grin

My understanding is that Mike commissioned this from Mr. Jaisi, knowing full well that a wrath of Biblical dimension would instantly descend from the heavens (or this forum - which is much the same thing, of course: are we not Olympian deities, omniscient and omnipotent ?), allowing him to delete the post from his page, thus disassociating himself from it while simultaneously engaging in a complex double bluff and getting his message out there, knowing that all rational fans will realise that, as well executed as the video is, it's not officially sanctioned. Except that it is, of course.

That's what I would say, were I an extremely gullible conspiracy theorist with a handy Thesaurus. Thankfully, I'm not. It's a very well executed fan video that subtly implies it's official product when it isn't. I'm guessing it was deleted from Mike's page for that very reason, and because it's Copyright Infringement Central as regards the various clips. For those pointing out, reasonably enough, that the BW one is still up, that's clearly labelled as a parody.

And now, I must maintain my front as an independent entity by pretending to go work as a bookie for some ten hours. If I can find the bloody shop - the fog out there is about as dense as some posters here.  Smiley

When in doubt, go to the source. Noven confirms he did it purely on his own and the clips came from his own extensive archive.

As Noven said, all the footage came from his own collection. None was wittingly supplied by BRI.

Someone explain to me why we're having this fucking stupid  conversation, please.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2016, 04:53:59 AM »

Whoever did it, totally wrong that it includes a quote from Sir George Martin that was made about another band - Brian's band, as Debbie pointed out.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2016, 04:54:36 AM »

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been an official answer on these Noven Jaisi videos - why does the latest video have a Brother and Capitol Records logo if it isn't official? Anyone?

It sure seems official

Mike's management say the video is nothing to do with them. Seems to be a fan creation, although they admit it's very well done.

Definitely worthy of the criticism. The video is labeled "Still Tourin'" and is based largely on clips from a lineup and tour that was far greater in quality of music and quantity of seats per venue than what is actually on the road "still tourin'" right now. Despicable.

So... the guy who put it together is despicable ? Bit harsh, isn't it ?

Oh, wait...you're  thinking this is official BRI product. How amusing. Grin

My understanding is that Mike commissioned this from Mr. Jaisi, knowing full well that a wrath of Biblical dimension would instantly descend from the heavens (or this forum - which is much the same thing, of course: are we not Olympian deities, omniscient and omnipotent ?), allowing him to delete the post from his page, thus disassociating himself from it while simultaneously engaging in a complex double bluff and getting his message out there, knowing that all rational fans will realise that, as well executed as the video is, it's not officially sanctioned. Except that it is, of course.

That's what I would say, were I an extremely gullible conspiracy theorist with a handy Thesaurus. Thankfully, I'm not. It's a very well executed fan video that subtly implies it's official product when it isn't. I'm guessing it was deleted from Mike's page for that very reason, and because it's Copyright Infringement Central as regards the various clips. For those pointing out, reasonably enough, that the BW one is still up, that's clearly labelled as a parody.

And now, I must maintain my front as an independent entity by pretending to go work as a bookie for some ten hours. If I can find the bloody shop - the fog out there is about as dense as some posters here.  Smiley

When in doubt, go to the source. Noven confirms he did it purely on his own and the clips came from his own extensive archive.

As Noven said, all the footage came from his own collection. None was wittingly supplied by BRI.

Someone explain to me why we're having this fucking stupid  conversation, please.

Is it being used anywhere except Noven's fan video site? Is it being used by Brother or Capitol anywhere on their sites or promotions in any fashion?  You could ask Brother and/or Capitol I suppose.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2016, 05:33:31 AM »

Whoever did it, totally wrong that it includes a quote from Sir George Martin that was made about another band - Brian's band, as Debbie pointed out.

Maybe I am confused, but The Beach Boys played GV live post-release.  Could they do it? I have an old 1967 show streaming right now.  

Was that the Sir George Martin query?  Of course other bands could do it decades post.  The Beach Boys are Brian's band; but a cooperative venture, not the solo Brian band.  

That video, appears to be a cobbled-assemblage of various videos over time.  Could just have easily been a school project.  It is just a mini-snapshot.  A documentary, it ain't.    Wink
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:49:33 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2016, 05:43:11 AM »

Maybe I am confused, but The Beach Boys played GV live post-release.  Could they do it? I have an old 1967 show streaming right now.  

Was that the Sir George Martin query?  Of course other bands cold do it decades post.  The Beach Boys are Brian's band; but a cooperative venture, not the solo Brian band.  

That video, appears to be a cobbled-assemblage of various videos over time.  Could just have easily been a school project.  It is just a mini-snapshot.  A documentary, it ain't.    Wink

The Sir George Martin quote in the video related not to The Beach Boys, either then or now but to the Brian Wilson band. It was quoted out of context.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »

Was that the Sir George Martin query?  Of course other bands could do it decades post.  The Beach Boys are Brian's band; but a cooperative venture, not the solo Brian band.  

The Sir George Martin quote in the video related not to The Beach Boys, either then or now but to the Brian Wilson band. It was quoted out of context.

Then it is out of context 40 years post, I think.  The Beach Boys did the live version post-release.  They were capable of performing it live.  This person may have the time-context off.  I don't think is a big deal.  It is difficult to put 55+ years in exactly the correct chronological order. 

George Martin would have known full-well that The Beach Boys had performed it post-release. And, very well with Carl Wilson on lead.   Wink   

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx