gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:24:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489920 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 07, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »

Smiley Segment: 7  "Wha--Ooh"

By now, Stephen and I had the situation with Brian under control and Stan had gone over to console Mike, who was reeling with anxiety and was self-consciously feeling like a pariah.  Everyone was wondering what the hell did Mike do to Brian to provoke this onslaught of hostility from the timid, ever peaceful gentle spirit that is Brian.  It was apparent to all present that some past history between Mike and Brian was not copacetic.  Brian seemed to have settled down, to have fully regained his equanimity, his peace of mind.
     Stan approached Brian, Stephen and me and said, Mike would like to have a peaceful word with you, Brian, if that's alright."  Brian quickly said, "Okay."  Stan went back over to Mike and reiterated Brian's acceptance, whereupon Mike, Stan, Brian and I made our way to a small semi-private makeup room nearby.  The four of us very calmly entered the well lit room.  As soon as Stan closed the door, Brian lashed out and attacked Mike again, this time with his fists with a flurry of punches, knocking Mike back over a chair onto the cement floor.  Tossing another chair out of his way, Brian forced Mike into a corner where he cowered.  Makeup lights exploded and chairs were scattered as Brian relentlessly pursued his prey, his nemesis. Mike mad a hasty, cowardly retreat.  He was freaked out.  When Stan and I had subdued Brian for the second time, Brian, towering over Mike, looked at the trembling, cowering Mike and shouted, matter-of-factly, "You're no cousin of mine, you fucking p*ssy.  You're chickenshit!"  
     Despite the rather bizarre preliminaries, the big show that night went fine and came off without further incident.  In fact, it was the most relaxed we had ever seen Brian perform.  He seemed to have a little smile on his face, brought about by a certain intangible inner glow.  It was like he exuded a serene sense of accomplishment and confidence.
     Mike on the other hand, was to say the least, distracted, and did not perform well, nor did he perform left of center stage near Brian, where he normally goes to avoid Dennis' drumsticks.  He stayed center stage, where the overly happy, almost ecstatic Dennis quickly broke two drumsticks, on his drum rim, that shot straight out in Mike's direction.  During the performance that night, Mike kept darting around and looking over his shoulder like he couldn't wait to get off stage, which brought immense satisfaction to a an exuberant Dennis who, at the halfway point of the show and just before intermission, went to the center stage microphone and announced, "Congratulations, Brian, for kicking Mike's ass!"  He then proceeded to sing "You Are So Beautiful,"  a Joe Cocker song that went over surprisingly well considering Dennis' similar to Cocker's own raspy voice.
     When the tour body returned to southern California and Brian was back in his beloved Bel Air safe haven, he entered his mansion cheerfully singing "Home Sweet Home."  He bellowed more than sang the song, which took Marilyn by surprise.  She started laughing and asked Stan and me, "What is that all about?"  Stan let me field that question, saying, "Why don't you fill her in? ... and I'll keep an eye on My Main Man Brian."  Brian pounded his chest with both hands and let out a Tarzan-like-yell - "Ah aah--- aah aah" while Stan cheered and said enthusiastically, "Brian, you da Man!"
     Marilyn stood there, mouth agape but clearly grinning.  She demanded, "Will you please fill me in, Rocky?"  I said, "Here, Marilyn, I want you to sit down, and make your self comfortable, while I pour us a glass of champagne.  You're gonna need it."  I opened a chilled bottle of Dom Perignon and slowly poured two Baccarat tulip-shaped flutes to the top and said: "You're in for a mind blowing surprise.  Our Golden Goose... The Wizard... Beach Boy extraordinaire Brian Wilson is now officially our HERO!"

(Segment: 8  to follow)  Smiley Smiley

I highly doubt that anyone would have the unmitigated gall to just make a story like this up, to completely fabricate it out of thin air. I don't doubt that Brian had some real deep anger building up inside directed at Mike, if only because Mike seems like he continually behaved in the most entitled manner amongst anyone else that Brian was surrounded by... coupled with what I believe to be a likelihood that the poster boy for anger management issues seemingly never said he was sorry about the way he acted. Like ever. If the Rock Hall of Fame speech cannot even be publicly regretted (it's the fault of lack of meditation, not the guy who did it), I could imagine dealing with two decades of that type of crap might have made even a non-violent guy like Brian finally burst one day. I don't think it's an implausible story. If it happened, I'm not saying it's "right" that Brian acted like that, but I can empathize with Brian, and I don't automatically have a knee-jerk reaction to doubt it happened.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:57:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 07, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »

"Marilyn demanded 'will you please fill me in Rocky..." Grin

That's going a bit too far, seriously.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »

Rocky, some points with the writing:
1. It's unclear for whom of the four were the two champagne glasses.
2. The assertions of the internal reactions of the other characters in the first paragraph (Mike's and those of 'all present') makes it read like a novel with an omniscient narrator.
3. It's confusing to read that it was "surprising" that Dennis' singing of a Joe Cocker hit went over well "considering Dennis' similar to Cocker's own raspy voice." Also, that last phrasing is awkward.

Sadly, with the Tarzan yell and everything, your depiction of Brian makes him look bad even in my eyes. It's a shame you want to embarrass him so much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:27:29 PM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 07, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »

I don't think anyone's suggesting he's making things up out of thin air. I just think there's a fair amount of exaggeration, spectacularizing, and embellishment.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 07, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »

It's a shame you want to embarrass him so much.

Agreed. And calling him "our golden goose" is disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:24:22 PM by catlag » Logged

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 07, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »

"Marilyn demanded 'will you please fill me in Rocky..." Grin

Jesus, what a cheapskate remark. I suggest you do the decent thing and apologize.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »

I'm curious; why is their affair the unmentionable? I'm not one for cheesy sex jokes, myself, but surely it's pertinent. It's kind of the elephant in the thread.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »

I don't think anyone's suggesting he's making things up out of thin air. I just think there's a fair amount of exaggeration, spectacularizing, and embellishment.

Fair enough. This is certainly the area of interpretation. I think that people will just have to draw their own conclusions and assumptions about the band members' feelings and motivations, hopefully without some predisposition to assume an insider is completely fabricating events. I can imagine that if some band members' actions are going to come off poorly, that some people would just prefer to try and discredit the entire thing completely (I'm not pointing fingers at you, Emily), as in implying it's completely fake like the tooth fairy, as opposed to conceding there could be factual information contained within, that may be regrettable, but true.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:32:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 07, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »

Smiley Well, I'm bored... Good night ladies and gentlemen... You too, Emily! LOL LOL

I'm bored with you, but I'm always into talking about Asterix and Obelix!!!

Me too! The Roman agent was the guy who sowed discord among the villagers. They always fought amongst themselves, of course, but in a friendly sort of unhygeniex sort of way, which is how I like to pretend the intramural squabbles here are. The Roman agent insidiously really turned them against each other.

Wait!  I think I remember!  Is that the one where the chief's wife tries to go to the front of the line per usual, and someone in the line goes "there's a queue here you know" and then it turns into a big old fish fight with all the women?
That's the one!

Oh wow, cool!  My mom was a French professor and she used to read them to me, translating them into English, when I was a kid.  It was awesome, one of my best childhood memories.  Years later, when I was a teen, I got to go see the Asterix movie, which I was excited about, except of course it was in French!

Vive l'Asterix!  I remember being excited by "Asterix In The New World...." because it took place in the U.S.  I remember Obelix was enjoying some unidentified meat on a bone with a Native American over a fire and he asked "quack quack?" and the Indian responded "woof woof," after which Obelix cast a disturbed eye at Dogmatix, chewing on a bone....

I think Rocky should call up Goscinny and Uderzo and have them convert his book into a graphic novel.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »

...en Français.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 07, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »

I'm curious; why is their affair the unmentionable? I'm not one for cheesy sex jokes, myself, but surely it's pertinent. It's kind of the elephant in the thread.

Exactly. Makes me wonder if he'll address that in the finished book.

Bottom line...if you're famous, your pecadillos are fair game. Doesn't make for a pretty picture, but that's show biz.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 07, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

Come to think of it, being a muscular guy, Rocky could carry a mean menhir.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 07, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »

Smiley Well, I'm bored... Good night ladies and gentlemen... You too, Emily! LOL LOL

Me too! The Roman agent was the guy who sowed discord among the villagers. They always fought amongst themselves, of course, but in a friendly sort of unhygeniex sort of way, which is how I like to pretend the intramural squabbles here are. The Roman agent insidiously really turned them against each other.

Wait!  I think I remember!  Is that the one where the chief's wife tries to go to the front of the line per usual, and someone in the line goes "there's a queue here you know" and then it turns into a big old fish fight with all the women?
That's the one!

Oh wow, cool!  My mom was a French professor and she used to read them to me, translating them into English, when I was a kid.  It was awesome, one of my best childhood memories.  Years later, when I was a teen, I got to go see the Asterix movie, which I was excited about, except of course it was in French!

Vive l'Asterix!  I remember being excited by "Asterix In The New World...." because it took place in the U.S.  I remember Obelix was enjoying some unidentified meat on a bone with a Native American over a fire and he asked "quack quack?" and the Indian responded "woof woof," after which Obelix cast a disturbed eye at Dogmatix, chewing on a bone....

I think Rocky should call up Goscinny and Uderzo and have them convert his book into a graphic novel.
Yay! We lived in France for a couple of years when I was 8 or so; the perfect age to get hooked on Asterix. Dogmatix of course is my favorite.
Rocky's book would be way better as a graphic novel!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »

Though revealing and on-point, I think.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 07, 2016, 12:43:35 PM »

That's the one!

Yay! We lived in France for a couple of years when I was 8 or so; the perfect age to get hooked on Asterix. Dogmatix of course is my favorite.

"Ces sont foux, ces Wilsons-ici!"

Let's see, Rocky could be...Hysterix?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 07, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »

Though revealing and on-point, I think.

I'm sure, quite sure, that Brian felt that label coming from more than once place and person. Person(s) within the band itself not excluded.
ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 07, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »

Boy I bet some legal representatives are going to have a field day when this comes out.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 07, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »

That's the one!

Absolutely laugh-out-loud perfect.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 07, 2016, 12:49:51 PM »

A Graphic Novel is an intriguing idea! For one thing, it would set this book aside from the rest of the catalogue. You could have really awesome '70's Style' illustrations. (A handlebar moustached Stan, a Buff Rocky, a Turban adorned Michael)

I was surprised how effective Graphic Novels can be at making an impact while reading. Rocky's writing style might work well within the genre.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »

That's the one!

Absolutely laugh-out-loud perfect.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 07, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

Love it! Rocky, make these changes and I'm on-board!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 07, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »

A Graphic Novel is an intriguing idea! For one thing, it would set this book aside from the rest of the catalogue. You could have really awesome '70's Style' illustrations. (A handlebar moustached Stan, a Buff Rocky, a Turban adorned Michael)

I was surprised how effective Graphic Novels can be at making an impact while reading. Rocky's writing style might work well within the genre.

And draw it in the style of the Keepin' The Summer Alive LP cover.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »

It's not unmentionable, but there are ways and ways of mentioning it.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 07, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »

It's not unmentionable, but there are ways and ways of mentioning it.
That's certainly true, and the comment you replied to was one of the ways and not the other, but it prompted me to notice that the topic is a constant subtext: every time Rocky mentions Marilyn, particularly as it's always him calling her, telling her what happened, pouring the champagne, calling BW "our Golden Goose", it pops into mind, but remains unmentioned.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »

Love it! Rocky, make these changes and I'm on-board!

Rocky is the Wild Boar.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx