gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:30:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Mike Love Quotes  (Read 18170 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »

I hti
I think collecting quotes, especially with citations back to the full original articles, is actually a really interesting and important thing that can be done.

Ideally, it would encompass much more than just select quotes that don't reflect well on Mike. So maybe the point of this thread wasn't constructive. But the actual compiling of the information is useful, and it isn't without merit to pull a bunch of quotes from one person to show a potential pattern. But ideally, it would have more context and promote some useful discussion.

I'm not sure how that can be done, but I'm not prepared to say that my preference would be to not post a series of unflattering quotes from Mike if the alternative is to just avoid the topic altogether because it's too inflammatory.

I tried a thread (last year or earlier this year) where I was truly just trying to dissect what happened with the band at the end of 1997 (the quotes from Elliott Lott saying Mike didn't want to appear on stage with Carl, etc.), and even after a long post with tons of disclaimers that I was looking for a scholarly conversation about it, it still turned into a big clusterfudge. But then again, that thread did rebound and we got some new, important info on the topic from Ray Lawlor. So I dunno....

I'm in favor of keeping this thread open. I do believe having a discussion on these quotes can be beneficial, as it is a historical document much like the Brianisms thread, and for the reasons you posted.

That said, the personal attacks on each other need to stop ASAP.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »

The comments by Mike on BW bring controlled by prescription drugs are most concerning. I wonder if he would prefer a mentally unbalanced BW writing bland and rehashed surf songs with him in the "room" of total control.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »

The comments by Mike on BW bring controlled by prescription drugs are most concerning. I wonder if he would prefer a mentally unbalanced BW writing bland and rehashed surf songs with him in the "room" of total control.
Mike believes that you can control your mental states through TM, and thus drugs that affect your mental state are at best unnecessary, and at worst harmful.

Not saying whether Mike is right, wrong, or only partly right in his belief. But it's helpful in interpretating Mike's remarks on this subject to know where he's coming from.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »

I disagree with Mike on this topic, but there are many people who feel as he does about prescriptions or any other types of drugs. There are many people who are hooked on prescription drugs and probably more so than recreational drug users. Though, I am sure Brian is under strict supervision and care with what he is taking.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:27:00 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »

I will say upfront that I come to this Brian Wilson vs. Mike Love bullshit as a Brian Wilson fan. I think the flames of this has pretty much been fanned by what I see as the "newer" fans. Those folks that may have come aboard around the time of Kokomo.I have to say that up until the September ,1977 incident on the tarmack  I've never really had a problem with Mike.I thought his stage patter was pretty funny and he's always been a great harmony singer. That incident  in "77 seemed to bring to the forefront a lot of animosity in Mike that had been simmering for some time.Mike still seems to make the occasional comment that leads one to believe that he still has some problem with Brian. Granted this is just my opinion but I think those problems are as follows:

1. I think that Mike believes that if Brian has mental issues they were brought on by Brian's drug use therefore they are Brian's fault

2.Brian stayed at home sitting on his ass doing drugs while Mike and the other BB's did the hard work of touring to keep the Beach Boys afloat.

3.Songwriting credits. I think this has bothered Mike for some time and rightly so. I think the only question concerning this is what percentage of the lyrics  for each song did Mike write? I have a feeling that by the time this went to court, Mike was so pissed that he said f*** it and may have taken more then he was entitled to knowing that Brian wouldn't fight it.

4. Brian's image as the "sensitive genius". I think this also rankles Mike and the fact that Brian has always gotten much better press then Mike.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »

I just mean that Mike's comments on BW's prescription drugs are implying that they are on the level of street drugs or only used for control by the "boogymen" people around. Mike could use some  medications to make relax a bit since he sounds bitter and miserable as f*** in all those quotes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »

And with that being your first, and fantastic post on this board, I would like to be the first one to sincerely welcome you! More please-anytime.  Pirate High Five Happy Dance w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up

Who let this troll in?

HEY MYKE:  SAY SOMETHING NEW!!!!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »

It's the same old bitter sh*t for 50 years.

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »

Not really. I would say this stuff started after 1977 and really took off after Kokomo and the trial for song writing credits . The internet has really helped it along
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »

Yeah the interviews with Mike around Kokomo and the songwriting lawsuit are really ugly at times. The post C50 interviews seem to be showing the same amount of resentment at BW.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »

I just mean that Mike's comments on BW's prescription drugs are implying that they are on the level of street drugs or only used for control by the "boogymen" people around. Mike could use some  medications to make relax a bit since he sounds bitter and miserable as f*** in all those quotes.
I agree, Mike should know better. Brian finally got real professional help in the 1990's, he should be happy that Brian is fully functional and a happy person in a good place in his life.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »

That philly show this year really drove that home! Cool

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »

It drove it home for me. That was the most fun Brian Show that I have seen.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »

I will say upfront that I come to this Brian Wilson vs. Mike Love bullshit as a Brian Wilson fan. I think the flames of this has pretty much been fanned by what I see as the "newer" fans. Those folks that may have come aboard around the time of Kokomo.I have to say that up until the September ,1977 incident on the tarmack  I've never really had a problem with Mike.I thought his stage patter was pretty funny and he's always been a great harmony singer. That incident  in "77 seemed to bring to the forefront a lot of animosity in Mike that had been simmering for some time.Mike still seems to make the occasional comment that leads one to believe that he still has some problem with Brian. Granted this is just my opinion but I think those problems are as follows:

1. I think that Mike believes that if Brian has mental issues they were brought on by Brian's drug use therefore they are Brian's fault

2.Brian stayed at home sitting on his ass doing drugs while Mike and the other BB's did the hard work of touring to keep the Beach Boys afloat.

3.Songwriting credits. I think this has bothered Mike for some time and rightly so. I think the only question concerning this is what percentage of the lyrics  for each song did Mike write? I have a feeling that by the time this went to court, Mike was so pissed that he said f*** it and may have taken more then he was entitled to knowing that Brian wouldn't fight it.

4. Brian's image as the "sensitive genius". I think this also rankles Mike and the fact that Brian has always gotten much better press then Mike.

I tend to wholly agree with 1 to 3 (especially in that 3 is/was very feasible) . Don't really agree with 4 in that, does ML really give a damn ?

AND I really do (with a very few exceptions of certain bods) agree with your statement "I think the flames of this has pretty much been fanned by what I see as the "newer" fans"
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »

Many of you are woefully misguided about Mike Love. I assure you, he doesn't sit around stewing on old issues, or constantly think of Brian Wilson. Additionally, you can selectively choose quotes from almost anyone out of context to fit your narrative.

Brian Wilson (paraphrased) to Mike Love "You're getting senile" 1996. Or "My band is better than The Beach Boys ever were" (few years ago). Or "I burned the Smile tapes". Etc, etc. Why, you could say Brian is angry and a liar!

Point is, when people on this board are most interested in proving some obtuse point to one another, PLEASE DO SO VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE! The rest of us do not care if you like Brian or Mike better, or some such nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

Here's 3 minutes of Mike Love being a dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJOz7hrEHE

Try listening to the full length version - the one where you can hear Brian directing traffic from the booth before cracking up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »

Mike might believe this. I sometimes wonder how much Brian himself believes this.

I saw a few of those BW/Dano/Cusack/Pohlad Q & A's and interviews. On a couple of them, the interviewer or an audience member asked Brian the question, and I'm paraphrasing, "What do you think is the message of the film?" or "What would you like your fans to take from this movie?" A few times, Brian responded, and again I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly, "Don't take drugs" and "Drugs are bad for you" and "I wish I would not have taken so many drugs when I was younger".

I was a little disappointed, but not surprised. That would've been a good opportunity for Brian to personally address the negative stigma attached to mental illness, and maybe express that it's OK and not an embarrassment to ask for help. Just an opinion.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »

The flames of irritation are fanned every time Mike Love makes a backhanded passive-aggressive comment about his cousin. All of us here came to love this music, and then we all learned about the history. We all learned that without Mike Love there would be no Beach Boys. We learned that, yes, Mike Love created some of the Beach Boys most memorable lyrics. I honestly wish I had never read any interview this man gave in the last 3 years because I'd still probably have respect for the man had I not. 

My favorite composer/songwriter to have ever lived is Brian Wilson. I consider him to be one of music's most brilliant contributors. Then I read the quotes OP posted. Obviously I already knew of most of them, wasn't aware of or forgot about the "Overweight, out of shape, doesn't pay much attention" line. But look at all that crap. Controlled? Doesn't sing in the range he once did? Doesn't pay much attention? Even if any of those claims have any merit - WHY THE HELL YOU WOULD YOU SAY THAT STUFF IN A PUBLIC FORUM ABOUT SOMEONE YOU SUPPOSEDLY LOVE AND CARE ABOUT? Can you imagine if Brian recently said Mike's voice isn't what it once was? Hard to imagine because Brian has something called tact.

I guess the Mike apologists are irritated about this thread because it's partially a generous showcase of the complete lack of tact that Mike Love seems to fully radiate in nearly every recent interview when he's asked about his cousin. Or the Mike apologists are irritated because they are sick of seeing hateful things being said about Mike Love. Well here's a radical thought: Maybe if Mike Love didn't say controversial passive-aggressive comments these threads wouldn't exist in the first place!

"Additionally, you can selectively choose quotes from almost anyone out of context to fit your narrative." Okay, read the quotes in context via the links OP provided. Narrative or no narrative, it's obvious that Mike has a real issue with his cousin (or the people who control him with prescription drugs...sighhhh). Of course Mike Love doesn't spend every waking moment thinking about his cousin, nor does he sit around fuming about old issues all day. He's the frontman to one of the most popularly known bands in American history. That's not even the issue. The issue is that he has made a lot of passive aggressive comments lately about one of America's (and one of the world's) most talented songwriters. That pisses some of us off. And the fact that some of you defend this guy is even more aggravating....and comical.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »

It drove it home for me. That was the most fun Brian Show that I have seen.

It was the first Brian Wilson/Beach Boys related concert I have ever attended. And I was blown the hell away by it. Besides the amazing performance by Brian and the band, my absolute favorite part of the show was when Brian flashed a huge genuine grin at the audience. He was having a blast and he was making it known. I'll never forget that night!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »

To anyone who wants to listen. Don't hate on Mike more than the person he is offending does. For all of the stuff that you guys get so tied up about, I have never seen Brian react to Mike like fans do. Take a page from Brian. Treat Mike how you think Brian would treat him.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »

"... as far as my relationship with Brian, how he felt about things and that he always wanted to rectify things and subsequently things have been, for the most part, rectified."
http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/qanda-with-mike-love/Content?oid=949244

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
zachrwolfe
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:30:43 PM by zatch » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »

Many of you are woefully misguided about Mike Love. I assure you, he doesn't sit around stewing on old issues, or constantly think of Brian Wilson.  

I don't know about "constantly", but there's plenty of evidence from Mike's own interviews that suggests he stews on old issues and thinks about Brian. He still brings up the songwriting lawsuit, sometimes unprompted, in interviews even though it ended over 20 years ago in his favor no less. Same thing with bringing up band members' decades-old drug use. Whether it's justified or not is a separate issue, but it certainly strikes me that he's stuck on it/stewing about it. Doesn't mean he's not still enjoying life, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »

To anyone who wants to listen. Don't hate on Mike more than the person he is offending does. For all of the stuff that you guys get so tied up about, I have never seen Brian react to Mike like fans do.

Brian also doesn't publish his feelings on public message boards.

Can you be entirely sure about that ?

(OK, just kidding  Grin )

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »

I really take no issue with Mike's opinions on things like Brian's first solo album  or VDP's lyrics. He is entitled to his opinion,even if he expresses it in a douchy manner.

I do object to Mike's shots at Brian and his constant quest to elevate his role in the success of the Beach Boys.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx