gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:14:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks currently estranged?  (Read 36110 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »

<post deleted>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:41:09 PM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »

I wonder what their collaboration for The Waltz was like.

It wasn't. The melody was wrtten back in the late 80s (and recorded as 'Let's Get Together'). VDP wrote new, arguably worse lyrics for it, and then Brian recorded new, inarguably worse vocals for it. I...don't think Brian cared for the lyrics that much, and it shows.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

It wasn't. The melody was wrtten back in the late 80s (and recorded as 'Let's Get Together'). VDP wrote new, arguably worse lyrics for it, and then Brian recorded new, inarguably worse vocals for it. I...don't think Brian cared for the lyrics that much, and it shows.

Just relistened to this song after a long time. Man, GIOMH was a weird album... Let's Stick Together on the other hand is one of my favorites from Brian's solo career!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »

Brian on VDP in the NPR interview posted today: "I haven't see him in years. Not since we did the Smile album."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »

Just relistened to this song after a long time. Man, GIOMH was a weird album... Let's Stick Together on the other hand is one of my favorites from Brian's solo career!

Let's Get Together, Let's Stick Together, City of Seattle....they're all the same LOL

Seriously, though...shows how much I cared for it that I of all people got the name wrong! LOL LOL LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »

Yeah, but I was wondering if they ever met for that.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 03:29:33 PM »

Here's the quote from the VDP interview referenced.
"It's a dull issue," he growls. "I hope it doesn't need any further elaboration. To have been victimised by Brian Wilson's buffoonery."

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather be victimized by buffoonery than bored/annoyed by pretentiousness, but that's just me I guess.

Yeah, but I was wondering if they ever met for that.

Ahhh...I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I would imagine no, in the Parks acted like being contacted for the new BWPS lyrics was the first time he talked to him in ages, but it was in normal English, so who knows if it was true or not.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »

At the New York City Q & A tonight, Brian had praise and good things to say all around for Van Dyke, specifically complimenting him as a lyricist and for his musicianship.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »

Doesn't he know he's supposed to be estranged from VDP ? Well, really...  Grin
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:33:44 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »

I have emails from 2003 before  Brian called to me     from VDP that clearly show that he had not heard  from BW re the announced completion goal for Smile.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 01:12:35 AM »

Wasn't VDP and BDW photographed with Randy Newman backstage somewhere in 2011?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 03:00:21 AM »

In London. Jools Holland show.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 03:04:28 AM »

That VDP has taken to calling Love and Mercy "Mrs.Wilson's biopic" suggests that things are still not rosey between him and the Wilson camp.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:07 AM »

That's f***ed up. If thats how he feels, he needs to get over himself

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 04:44:12 AM »

They probably aren't as close as we wish or as distant as they sometimes seem.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:06 AM »

That's f***ed up. If thats how he feels, he needs to get over himself

That quote was from a tweet quite a while back, and it segued into a Mike Love joke. I don't think it was to be taken all that seriously. Also, Brian had given an interview around that time saying that he didn't know all that much about the movie and that his wife was involved. So he was clearly referring to that.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »

Smartest thing you've ever said.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »

How would you know?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2015, 06:48:43 PM »

Mr. Parks needs to decide if he wants to be associated with Brian and SMiLE or not. For a guy who claims he's over BW, who sides with Daro's opinion of him, and who makes snarky comments about someone's genius PR, it sure seems to burn his buns when he's left out of the discussion. He's been whining about everything Brian's done since the reunion tour. News Flash, Mr. Parks: This is Brian's story. Not yours. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:54:18 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2015, 08:36:48 PM »

How would you know?

Cuz he's spoken with your family and co-workers and they said usually you're not saying the smartest stuff.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:30 PM »

Mr. Parks needs to decide if he wants to be associated with Brian and SMiLE or not. For a guy who claims he's over BW, who sides with Daro's opinion of him, and who makes snarky comments about someone's genius PR, it sure seems to burn his buns when he's left out of the discussion. He's been whining about everything Brian's done since the reunion tour. News Flash, Mr. Parks: This is Brian's story. Not yours. 

What was VDP's role in the recording of Good Vibrations anyway? I heard the cello triplet idea credited to him, but also to Carl (if I'm not mistaken). The whole VDP vibe towards Smile seems to be underscored by a desire to be vindicated as more than a mere lyrical partner. Nevertheless, Van Dyke himself helped build that image with quotes such as "I was a glorified scribe" and the like.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

Exactly. Bluntly put, nobody would give two shits about him if he hadn't written the lyrics for Smile. He's jealous.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »

Please, he was working with L.A.'s hip music makers before he met Brian.  You obviously don't like him, but he was building a musical career outside of the short period of time he and Brian were together.

Exactly. Bluntly put, nobody would give two shits about him if he hadn't written the lyrics for Smile. He's jealous.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2015, 09:30:19 PM »

I enjoy Van Dyke a great deal, but some folks shouldn't tweet.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx