gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:32:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Runaway Dancer available for purchase on itunes  (Read 34452 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

A perfect song. I love everything about it.

It's a dream come true, Brian is truly in control and you can hear it. He's happy. He's got poppy amazing basslines.

This is like an orgy of R.A.M and BDubs harmonies.

I love it I love it I love it.

This needs to be everywhere, please. Radio. TV. Movies. Everwhere. I love the lyrics too, they tell a cool modern tale.

EDIT: Adult Contemporary? My favorite part of this song is Brian is ignoring his age. MAKE THE MUSIC YOU WANT DUDE THIS AMAZING.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2015, 04:52:53 PM »

I absolutely love this song  Grin

A huge risk for Brian but it pays off. Whoever created that beat deserves credit too, so catchy.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »

I must be in the minority but this to me is forgettable

If I wanted to hear cheap, tacky ‘dance/techno’ type beats, id just turn on the radio and listen to any of the countless disposable songs that’s played everyday

Is this what passes for a BW tune in 2015?

Disappointing.

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »

I wonder if the same thing was said when Love You came out.

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »

I wonder if the same thing was said when Love You came out.
"Ugh, Love You has way too many synths...  It's not authentic.  That's not Brian Wilson!"
In all serious though, Love You is one of my favorite albums, next to SMiLE.  Runaway Dancer reminds me of Love You's synths.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

Brian Wilson once again, blowing minds! Pet Sounds in 1966, Smile would have to in 1967 and then Love You in 1977! Now it's 2015 and he's doing it once more! It would be bizarre to hear this on today's hit radio knowing it's him from way back when! It better hit the charts and knock off all the untalented pop music!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:09:58 PM by branaa09 » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »

Canonicity is impossible to determine on day one of a piece of art. Looks like we have to invoke Longinus again: the truly sublime is that which please "all and always," transcending time. How long ago was Love You? In that many years from now RD can be evaluated properly.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:55:58 PM by zatch » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »

wow this song is really cool,,,kind of a smooth jazz type feel to it,,,
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »

Ehhhhhh, I know we're all excited for new Brian Wilson music, but this is definitely not one of the better songs Brian Wilson has written/recorded in his 53 or 4+ years of musicianism.

I don't want to be that guy, but this shi'ts really lacking in the hooks & harmonies department.

Not even Setenddate Love and the Mythical Room could save this travesty.

PS: Anybody thinking this song will "blow up", be "popular" or "played on the radio", is delusional and completely out of touch.

Again, I'm not trying to be "that guy", but just remember you heard it here first when this atrocity crashes and burns.

Love & Mercy,

stack-o-tracks

No mas, por favor.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »

Ehhhhhh, I know we're all excited for new Brian Wilson music, but this is definitely not one of the better songs Brian Wilson has written/recorded in his 53 or 4+ years of musicianism.

I don't want to be that guy, but this shi'ts really lacking in the hooks & harmonies department.

Not even Setenddate Love and the Mythical Room could save this travesty.

PS: Anybody thinking this song will "blow up", be "popular" or "played on the radio", is delusional and completely out of touch.

Again, I'm not trying to be "that guy", but just remember you heard it here first when this atrocity crashes and burns.

Love & Mercy,

stack-o-tracks

Everybody's entitled to their own etc. However...no way would I say this song is lacking in the  hooks and harmonies department. I don't even understand how someone would come up with that assessment, but I guess we all hear things a little differently. Anyway, this album seems like it should be diverse enough to have a little something for everybody, and I don't even think that this song will end up being among my favorites when all is said and done. But I am enjoying it quite a bit for now.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »

I dunno, man, jus listen to Sebu's "Safe And Sound" and then compared that to the "ya it's been the talk of the town" that's repeated several times in this new tune.

It just don't do it for me. Not trying to be controversial or whatever or anything at all, really, but yeah.

Maybe it works for a prechorus, but for the number of times that "ya its been the talk of the town" bit plays throughout the song, it's just not on the same level as the choruses or hooks that put Brian Wilson on the level that he's on. unless that part ain't the hook? But what do i know? I'm just some Brian Wilsinfidel.

the sample of "Runaway Dancer" seemed kinda cool, but the whole thing's kinda repetitive, lacking that je ne sais quois that Brian Wilson songs generally have.....

No mas, por favor.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2015, 12:09:40 AM »

I have to say, that IMHO this is absolute drivel. It has nothing in common with Love You. It is totally bland and inconsequential.

Has this been posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQQKnT0hv4

Sorry, but Ugh.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »

I've only heard the live version, but it's not doing anything for me. I want to like this song, but I just don't.

It feels flat and awkward, it goes nowhere.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »

It has nothing in common with Love You.

The two are similar in how people react to them. Love You is an album that people either really love or really hate, and Runaway Dancer seems to be getting similar reactions from people.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2015, 12:42:01 AM »

The two are similar in how people react to them. Love You is an album that people either really love or really hate, and Runaway Dancer seems to be getting similar reactions from people.

Agreed. I happen to love it, personally, but it seems to be a love it/hate it track. To be honest, I can't see why, because I happen to dig it so much. :/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2015, 01:11:14 AM »

Haven't listened t it enough yet but if Our Special Love is the descendant of TWGMTR, then this is descendant of '85, particularly Passing Friend…

“We live in divisive times.”
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2015, 01:56:40 AM »

The reactions may be similar, the music is not.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2015, 02:01:01 AM »

I have to say, that IMHO this is absolute drivel. It has nothing in common with Love You. It is totally bland and inconsequential.

Has this been posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQQKnT0hv4

Sorry, but Ugh.

I think it has a lot more in common with Here Comes the Night 1979, even though it's not a remake. Or make that a cross between HCTN79 and the Jimmy Buffett collaboration. I wouldn't call it absolute drivel, that's way too harsh I think, but like I said before, it sounds way too slick for my personal taste.

Love You was the high point of a long development. A song like I'll Bet He's Nice is not that different from Funky Pretty or the arrangement/production of Sweet Mountain.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2015, 02:12:55 AM »

I have mixed feelings. I like that Brian is trying something a bit different. And I like the intro.

But the beats are so bad, it sounds like one of those bad Bee Gees songs from the 90s. im just really surprised this is how Brian wants his music to sounds, drum loops and synth sounds that could have come directly from one of those games when you make your own dance song.

And the comparisons with Love you... I guess they both have synthesisers, but what else?

As someone else said above, people saying that this will be on the radio probably don't listen to current music. Take a listen to Hot Chip or someone like that and see the difference.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2015, 03:28:36 AM »

Haven't listened t it enough yet but if Our Special Love is the descendant of TWGMTR, then this is descendant of '85, particularly Passing Friend…

....did brian have anything to do with Passing Friend?

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2015, 03:49:54 AM »

I like this song more with each listen. I'm not trying to come up with comparisons, because it isn't really comparable to anything, after all. It's a Brian Wilson song arranged in a modern pop style, and that's a unique enough combo to work for me! If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say this is like "Isn't it Time" in that it's a  radio-friendly, smooth pop song with a strong back beat and a modern polish, although the similarities end there.

Not the world's most interesting electronic beat, but it does what a Brian drum beat usually does-- only what's absolutely necessary (unlike much of his other recent work, which uses more of the drum kit than he did in his hey day). The harmonies sound like Brian to me, especially where they shift into the higher range at the actual "Runaway, runaway dancer" part in the chorus. Are those synth horns in the intro/backing track, or the real thing?

The sax grew on me as well. The whole song has gelled together the more I've listened. Not a grower, just a great groove.

I wonder how this board's appreciation of "Runaway Dancer" breaks down age-wise. I'm 30 and I don't listen to much modern pop music, but I'll tell you this-- Brian did a lot better writing a dance song than any of my half-baked attempts! Haha which isn't all that surprising, now, is it? Cool Guy

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2015, 03:55:27 AM »

People seem to be assessing the song in very different ways.

This type of music is not to be looked at under the same light as traditional Brian.

For example, here I am looking almost exclusively for a BASSLINE. In today's cars, that us youngins drive, you find likely that the bass is cranked all the way up. This is awful for most music, but listen to that bass! I can hear it already shaking the whole street on the drive off campus.

Harmonies. They're for atmosphere here, then they kick it up for the chorus.

As for hook, it should be incredibly basic.

"Yeah it's been the talk of the town... Runaway Dancer..."

If it hasn't been stuck in your head, you aren't even letting it take you over.

Don't look at this and say "this is awkward because a 72 year old is trying to be hip"

Look at this as "FatherOfTheMan showed this to his buddies who like the dirtiest bass and simple hooks and they even went and bought it"

It's gonna be a big one, and that's good because it's straight up, simple and clean BDubs music. I hear him all over it.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »

The reactions may be similar, the music is not.

From a purely musical standpoint: the basslines and structure... The instrumentation... It actually IS a lot like Love You.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2015, 04:14:10 AM »

....did brian have anything to do with Passing Friend?

Very little to nothing at all most likely, but I can appreciate where J-Man is going with that comment, I think.  I find snippets of the melody and chord structure reminiscent (purely by coincidence, I dare say) of PF.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:18:20 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx