gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:58:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who agrees that the Ramones picked up where the BBs left off?  (Read 5356 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »

All the best Ramones tunes have a BBs tinge to em...its been said before but when you listen to Rocket to Russia they were totally channeling the mid 60s and rejuvenating rockNroll in a way it hadnt been in years...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:50:26 PM »

Cry

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:09:59 AM »

Where they left off in 63 or 64.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »

I do not agree.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »

To some degree. The parallels between 'trend' songs like Surfin' U.S.A. and 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker' for instance are striking. Both Joey and Brian worshipped Spector. I also think girl groups and 50's music had a marked influence on the whole Ramones/Heartbreakers/Thunders thing - in Thunders' case he has specifically cited his sister's record collection growing up, The Shangri-La's etc. To say the Ramones 'picked up where they left off' is overstating a little for my tastes, since the Boys were never really headed in a hard rock direction.

I'd also argue for some of the Ramones later output, particularly Dee Dee's songwriting contributions. Always very heartfelt and thought provoking: Poison Heart and I Don't Want To Live This Life Anymore. I guess as the most obviously doomed, hard-ass and possibly sensitive member of the group he could be looked at as their Dennis.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »

Well I dont mean literally but in the sense of the BBs golden era in 64-65 then skip to the Ramones in 77&79-81...great eras in pop/rock..
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

I absolutely love the Ramones, but I don't see them as the band that picked up where they (the Beach Boys) left off at any point. The Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys...they've said it themselves a million times. But the Ramones are their own thing, not the 'second' Beach Boys. Or the 'second' Vagrants, Seeds, MC5...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:57:58 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »

Well I dont mean literally but in the sense of the BBs golden era in 64-65 then skip to the Ramones in 77&79-81...great eras in pop/rock..

I hear ya. The Ramones are certainly partly born of the Beach Boys and if the Beach Boys never existed the Ramones would sound remarkably different if they even existed as it all. And I'd wager having someone take what you did as a starting point and run with it in their own direction is as good a compliment as can be paid to an artist or group.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »

I think it's great that you like punk rock kook, but I think your threads linking The Beach Boys with the punk movement shows that any connection between the two is very, very tenuous at best. Brian and The Beach Boys were had lush and luxurious arrangements worlds away from punk rock. Although I suppose early stuff like "Surfin' U.S.A." does have that energy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »

All the best Ramones tunes have a BBs tinge to em...its been said before but when you listen to Rocket to Russia they were totally channeling the mid 60s and rejuvenating rockNroll in a way it hadnt been in years...

My good man, I don't know what hallucinogenic you're doing but dammit, I want some.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »

"Rockaway Beach" is a natural one to connect to the Beach Boys. The Ramones covered "California Sun" which is obviously a vocal surf number in the style of The Beach Boys.

Manager Seymour Stein saw and is on record as noting the musical connection between the two groups.

The Ramones recorded with Brian's hero Phil Spector and Joey Ramone had a Ronnie Spector-like vocal quality which the Beach Boys lacked.

Musically, Ramones songs like "Oh Oh I Love Her So" could easily be a Beach Boys song.

The Ramones' lyrics often could easily be Beach Boys lyrics as they often feature similar themes and sentiments.

Brian Wilson once remarked that he'd like to work with The Ramones.

Both groups have been referred to as "America's Band."

PUNK magazine's biggest selling issue was MUTANT MONSTER BEACH PARTY which features Joey w/surf board and was made in the style of Warren Publication's HORROR OF PARTY BEACH mag. This all can be traced back to the surf craze which The Beach Boys were obviously a big part of as far a spreading the word about the sport.

The Ramones did a better job of "Do You Wanna Dance" than The Beach Boys did IMHO.

The Ramones did the movie ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL and the title song is basically in The Beach Boys style. The Beach Boys also did films that featured their songs.

My last point is that I can't pin any Beach Boys feeling on any other punk rock group. The Ramones were the only group that "got it" and could give listeners that Beach Boys type thing!!!!!!!!

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »

There are Ramones-like groups that play upon the Ramones/Beach Boys connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QAelJOwCA

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »

Here's another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjqZZmDSilI

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »

The Ramones' finest moment may well be their "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" single which reeks of the Beach Boys' style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huo_KNYUFZw

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »

Have to make a correction. Seymour Stein was not the manager of The Ramones, Danny Fields was. Stein was Sire Records. The record label guy made the Ramones/Beach Boys connection.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »

"Rockaway Beach" is a natural one to connect to the Beach Boys. The Ramones covered "California Sun" which is obviously a vocal surf number in the style of The Beach Boys.

Manager Seymour Stein saw and is on record as noting the musical connection between the two groups.

The Ramones recorded with Brian's hero Phil Spector and Joey Ramone had a Ronnie Spector-like vocal quality which the Beach Boys lacked.

Musically, Ramones songs like "Oh Oh I Love Her So" could easily be a Beach Boys song.

The Ramones' lyrics often could easily be Beach Boys lyrics as they often feature similar themes and sentiments.

Brian Wilson once remarked that he'd like to work with The Ramones.

Both groups have been referred to as "America's Band."

PUNK magazine's biggest selling issue was MUTANT MONSTER BEACH PARTY which features Joey w/surf board and was made in the style of Warren Publication's HORROR OF PARTY BEACH mag. This all can be traced back to the surf craze which The Beach Boys were obviously a big part of as far a spreading the word about the sport.

The Ramones did a better job of "Do You Wanna Dance" than The Beach Boys did IMHO.

The Ramones did the movie ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL and the title song is basically in The Beach Boys style. The Beach Boys also did films that featured their songs.

My last point is that I can't pin any Beach Boys feeling on any other punk rock group. The Ramones were the only group that "got it" and could give listeners that Beach Boys type thing!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone is denying that an influence exists, but influence is a far cry from "picked up where The Beach Boys left off".  If anything they went back to the beginning and picked up where the BB started.  But picking up where The Beach Boys left off, not at all.  Their sound is, what, 63-64 Beach Boys?  But after that came Today, Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Holland, etc.  I don't hear much beyond the surf/car stuff in The Ramones.  I like them, I get what they were doing, but they didn't pick up where The Beach Boys left off, unless you mean The Beach Boys left off with 15 Big Ones, or the Endless Summer compilation, and just ignore Pet Sounds, etc.

EoL

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »

I like both versions but no, just no! The collage of sound in the Beach Boys' version is incredible. Nothing wrong with the Ramones approach but I prefer the Beach Boys' version.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »

Disagree strongly.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »

No. The world doesn't revolve around these two bands as you seem to think. The Beach Boys influenced many other bands and The Ramones were influenced by many others bands.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »

No. The world doesn't revolve around these two bands as you seem to think. The Beach Boys influenced many other bands and The Ramones were influenced by many others bands.

3 bands! He likes Surf Punks too  Grin

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »

From my point of view The Ramones were my generation's Beatles.

They got lots of folks forming groups which is similar to what happened in the sixties when The Beatles arrived on the scene.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-beatles-top-spin-magazines-list-of-the-50-greatest-bands-of-all-time-75378722.html

But musically and lyrically The Ramones were much closer to The Beach Boys than The Beatles even though The Ramones took their name & fashion sense largely from the early Beatle's sensibilities.

The Ramones were three chord oriented but they weren't blues oriented. The Beatles were blues oriented. The Ramones were major key oriented. The Beach Boys were major key and three chord oriented too. The Ramones & The Beach Boys weren't as Blues as The Beatles. The Ramones & The Beach Boys were more POP. At least that's my uneducated musical guess.

This is it in a nutshell. After The Beach Boys' initial glory days musical nods back to those days were always tinged with a sense of nostalgia. It was different when The Ramones looked back & emulated The Beach Boys' style. It wasn't nostalgia. It was different! It was new! It was NOW! The Beach Boys' basic aesthetic became Punk Rock. How forever cool. Thanks Ramones.

So while groups like The Raspberries and The First Class were nostalgic in their honoring of The Beach Boys' style The Ramones took it somewhere else forever and I think that's basically the point that the author of this thread was trying to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8HxnhD4c6k

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:22:15 PM by Bill Tobelman » Logged

Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »

nope
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDm8aWzO3fU
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:44:39 PM by Bill Tobelman » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »

Certainly not where the Beach Boys left off when there Ramones started.  The latest Beach Boys studio. album at that time was Holland. Certainly nothing like the Ramones.  I agree that there are similarities with the early Beach Boys though.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »

So while groups like The Raspberries and The First Class were nostalgic in their honoring of The Beach Boys' style The Ramones took it somewhere else forever and I think that's basically the point that the author of this thread was trying to make.

I think that while you made some interesting points, I don't think it's anywhere near the point that the original poster was making. It seems that he really just likes punk rock (a lot of which suck, beyond The Ramones, The Clash and a few others) and The Beach Boys and he wants to feel there's a major tie between the two for whatever reason.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx