gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 07:01:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread  (Read 1078930 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2125 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 30, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

Those are great! :D

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 30, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Not sure if this was posted on here before.

Interestingly, Brian doesn't look all that different in these two pictures, aside from the beard. His eyes looked really troubled from a certain point on.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 02, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 07, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »

Possibly at Caribou Ranch

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: July 11, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »

Which TV appearance is this? Amsterdam 1972?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:44:48 AM by SonicVolcano » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 12, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »

That's a picture that I originally scanned a few years ago (I recognise it immediately because of the folds of the magazine). Yes, it's from a Dutch performance. It's either the Grand Gala Du Disque performance from February 25th 1972 or their appearance on June 7th 1972 on the Eddie Ready Go TV Show (Hilversum, Netherlands) on which they performed (or playbacked) Mess Of Help. Probably the latter, as I remember the stage at the Grand Gala Du Disque being different from this one. And from the looks of it, it seems Carl doing a gritty lead vocal here, which must be Mess Of Help (definitely can't be Sloop John B or Surf's Up from Grand Gala)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 12, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »

That's a picture that I originally scanned a few years ago (I recognise it immediately because of the folds of the magazine). Yes, it's from a Dutch performance. It's either the Grand Gala Du Disque performance from February 25th 1972 or their appearance on June 7th 1972 on the Eddie Ready Go TV Show (Hilversum, Netherlands) on which they performed (or playbacked) Mess Of Help. Probably the latter, as I remember the stage at the Grand Gala Du Disque being different from this one. And from the looks of it, it seems Carl doing a gritty lead vocal here, which must be Mess Of Help (definitely can't be Sloop John B or Surf's Up from Grand Gala)

Thanks! A video must be out there somewhere, then. Al looks really uncomfortable without his guitar, btw Grin
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 18, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »

Some great pics on Brian's twitter of BW & Carnie and BW & Melinda plus two kids (can't remember his kids' names). If I knew how to post them here I would.  Smiley
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:24:31 AM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »

Brian at work in the mid 70's.

So where is this photo from? And have we decided approximately when it was taken?

If it was 1974, I'm imagining it had to be from pretty early on in the year, because by the summer and fall he was pretty heavy.

And at the same time, I can't imagine this from being after 1976 because his face looks so young. So my guess would probably be later 1973 because I'm pretty sure he was clean shaven at the beginning of '73 but at some point grew the beard which didn't come off until around 1980.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »

While we're at it, how about this one? Is this '73? Maybe '74? I'm thinkin' '74 probably. Caribou sessions?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2138 on: July 31, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »

Second is indeed Caribou. The first, I think is Oct of 1973.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 31, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »

That is such a weird picture. Dennis the healthy one, and you can almost see it in Brian's face that something is wrong. That was such a weird time for the group.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:44 AM »

Wasn't Dennis sober around this time, too?

A discipline daddy.
MBE
« Reply #2141 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »

Hard to say but I would put both in 1974. Probably the first was at Brother, looking at AGD's session list probably the March or June 1974 sessions.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 04, 2013, 02:12:29 PM »

Not sure anyone knows of this but here's Brian playing a cop on SNL
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:15 AM »

It's been ages since I saw that clip. I gotta say Brian looks so utterly unconvincing and uncomfortable as a cop, it's hilarious. LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2144 on: August 05, 2013, 03:23:34 PM »

It's been ages since I saw that clip. I gotta say Brian looks so utterly unconvincing and uncomfortable as a cop, it's hilarious. LOL

I never even heard about that! What's it like?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: August 05, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »

I never even heard about that! What's it like?

If I'm not mistaken, it might've been the final skit of the show/evening, and it was almost like a throwaway or a time filler. Dan Ackroyd is this guy in an overcoat trying to get through the metal detector at an airport, but he keeps getting stopped and asked to empty his pockets/overcoat. Ackroyd gets more frustrated each time he's asked, and keeps emptying these large items; I think there were even tools like saws and the like in his overcoat. That's the funny part of the skit, seeing Ackroyd flipping out and the strange things he's pulling out of his coat. Then, after putting Ackroyd through the ringer, somebody dressed up like the tin woodsman from the Wizard Of Oz comes up to the metal detector and is allowed to go right through. They mention the name tin woodsman and Brian, who is playing a security guard, says something like, "The tin woodsman, that was the tin woodsman; I should've asked him for his autgraph."

Brian's line wasn't very funny, and he delivered in typical 15 Big Ones-like "Had To Phone Ya" fashion. However, the disturbing part was watching Brian throughout the skit, which of course every BB/BW nut like me was doing. First, his shirt was too tight which emphasized his gut. And, he stood there with his arms folded the entire time like he was frozen. Except for one thing - his leg(s) were shaking throughout the whole skit. Even if you weren't focusing on Brian, it was pretty noticeable. It made you feel uncomfortable and, for somebody like me (a newbie at the time), or longtime fans of Brian who hadn't seen him for awhile, it was a major WTF moment, including his performances earlier in the show. Those performances and the skit were on YouTube for a long time. Don't know if they're still on there...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

One more question about this one...does anybody know where it came from? Was it from a tour program or something? 1974 or 1975 perhaps?

And also, after looking at photos from throughout the years, I think I can officially say it: Carl Wilson probably had the WORST fashion sense of all the guys. For example, the photo from the Caribou sessions. That cowboy hat? Really? The jumpsuits throughout the '70s? Eeeek. The only thing is I think when he was a bit thinner in the mid '80s he really rocked a classy look. Like in the "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" video he looks super cool. The only one not wearing shorts I'm pretty sure, and he just looks pretty stylish.
MBE
« Reply #2147 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »

1975 tourbook had this photo.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »

The b/w picture of Brian at the keyboard with the Sennheiser headphones on, the picture of the group in front of the fireplace, and Dennis with the fish, behind the drums, and behind the Hohner Clavinet were presumably taken at Caribou in 1974 and published in the 1975 tour program. There are other good pictures of Brian behind a piano and keyboard in the tour book. It's kinda ironic, because all those pictures of him in the program make him look very active, and he really wasn't at the time. They were at Caribou Ranch in the late Fall '74 with Guercio, then Brian went back to Bel-Aire, worked on Child Of Winter, and snorted more hog rails and smoked dope.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:30:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MBE
« Reply #2149 on: August 05, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »

The b/w picture of Brian at the keyboard with the Sennheiser headphones on, the picture of the group in front of the fireplace, and Dennis with the fish, behind the drums, and behind the Hohner Clavinet were presumably taken at Caribou in 1974 and published in the 1975 tour program. There are other good pictures of Brian behind a piano and keyboard in the tour book. It's kinda ironic, because all those pictures of him in the program make him look very active, and he really wasn't at the time. They were at Caribou Ranch in the late Fall '74 with Guercio, then Brian went back to Bel-Aire, worked on Child Of Winter, and snorted more hog rails and smoked dope.
They could be Caribou but I would say either the March or June 1974 Brother sessions could be the date. Unless Brian briefly lost weight after his Jim Pewter interview then it is Caribou.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 108 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx