gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:37:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1980's Appreciation Lounge  (Read 75324 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »

I hope to respond more in-depthly soon.

KDS
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »

I was recently listening to Blue Murder's self titled album from 1989 with John Sykes, Tony Franklin, and Carmine Appice. 

Very solid hard rock album.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »

Maybe someone can suggest music to me from the '80s that doesn't sound like the stereotypical-radio-edit '80s that I just described...

I shall do this for you. Here are some 80s albums I love with accompanying favorite songs. Click the album covers for YouTube links.

(Okay, maybe Kate Bush doesn't necessarily meet the criteria, but I will always include her music regardless.)

First, let's pull your list onto this new page.  Lots of stuff there I like/love, some of them that I know have been discussed in this thread.

When I saw your the bats clip the other day, I thought you meant the old South African band from the 60's - who are still around.  I remember them a bit from long long ago.  Here's "Shabby Little Hut":  https://youtu.be/TKakjyWJthc

They have the same jangly Rickenbacker twelve-string sound you seem to love so much.  After adding in Flying Nun to the search, I found the New Zealand band from your clip "Block of Wood" (the one you sent me) - did you put that up here?  Maybe I should have checked back thru the thread...  your the bats are an 80's band, who I don't remember whatsoever.  They are very good.  Guess you found them researching the Three O'clock/Paisley Underground scene.  I played a few videos.  What I found the best is "Simpletons" (where have I heard that reference lately?) and "In the Subway" (forgot to write down the links).  They have the same jangly sound.  So, good find.

I've got to get you all to try Dream Academy.  Or have I already pushed them on this thread?  I think undercover-m might like them.  This is one of my very favorites, and was most definitely influenced by the Paisley Underground movement.  "The Love Parade":   https://youtu.be/UoQvD4rd_j0     Come on, give 'em a chance.   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »

Maybe someone can suggest music to me from the '80s that doesn't sound like the stereotypical-radio-edit '80s that I just described...

I shall do this for you. Here are some 80s albums I love with accompanying favorite songs. Click the album covers for YouTube links.

So I've listened to these two albums. (Or like 90% of them)
Obviously I've heard DMR's most famous song, but I bookmarked a few songs that stood out to me. Those will end up on an '80s playlist that will hopefully comprise various songs that I like.

Overall, I dig em. Not a very thorough analysis because my coffee hasn't kicked in today and i'm tired from yesterday.
I've actually seen the Replacements at a music fest before. Really good live. I anticipate listening to them soon.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2016, 08:52:59 PM »

So I can dig this. "Kingdom of Love" is also good.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »

I'm glad you're listening to 'em, M! I spent an unacceptable amount of time on that grid.

I await more of your incredibly brief thoughts. Tongue
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:48 PM »

I haven't been over here in over a week.  No comments?

Not even incredibly brief thoughts?  Do we have time to grow?

Dream Academy is getting not too many youtube hits around here.

Tough crowd.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »

Overall, I dig em.

I'm tired

So I can dig this. "Kingdom of Love" is also good.
So yeah, my commentary isn't really all that great. You might be happy to know that I'm attempting to listen to the whole albums of these, thanks to good ol' Spotify.

I hear a lot about Bob Mould from kexp's website. http://kexp.org/video/live
For that reason, I think I heard about him before I heard about Hüsker Dü (look I even put the special u's in there) (is that pronounced like it looks like otherwise?). At any rate, I listened to that link, too.
Actually, I guess the most intellectual thing I can comment on is that a handful of these bands sound a lot like what my coworker listens to: modern-day less-than-1,000-fans punk. I also didn't realize how early on punk music came about (mid/late '70s I guess? I learn new things all of the time). So I'm making connections between these bands and a lot of local pop-punk bands, which is cool. A genre I wasn't into until recently. I much prefer this sound over the Vans Warped Tour-esque punk bands, haha.

Hell, the Strokes are playing in this cafe right now, and I can vaguely hear '80s influence in them, too. Must be the guitar. Or maybe that's me stretching for insightful music commentary.

I'm also more receptive to new music/music suggestions when I'm content with life/not feeling anxious, which is not very often. But I'm listening to New Order, partially because that had the best album cover out of all of them, and also because the snippet I heard, I liked.

ALSO. I'm still un-learning the cheesy-'80s that I grew up with. The lyrics of the songs I've been listening to are so much better than the lyrics of any of the hit singles I've heard in stores, which is good.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:31:51 PM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »

When I saw your the bats clip the other day, I thought you meant the old South African band from the 60's - who are still around.  I remember them a bit from long long ago.  Here's "Shabby Little Hut":  https://youtu.be/TKakjyWJthc

They have the same jangly Rickenbacker twelve-string sound you seem to love so much.  After adding in Flying Nun to the search, I found the New Zealand band from your clip "Block of Wood" (the one you sent me) - did you put that up here?  Maybe I should have checked back thru the thread...  your the bats are an 80's band, who I don't remember whatsoever.  They are very good.  Guess you found them researching the Three O'clock/Paisley Underground scene.  I played a few videos.  What I found the best is "Simpletons" (where have I heard that reference lately?) and "In the Subway" (forgot to write down the links).  They have the same jangly sound.  So, good find.

I've got to get you all to try Dream Academy.  Or have I already pushed them on this thread?  I think undercover-m might like them.  This is one of my very favorites, and was most definitely influenced by the Paisley Underground movement.  "The Love Parade":   https://youtu.be/UoQvD4rd_j0     Come on, give 'em a chance.   

All right, all right. Here we are:

The Bats from South Africa are all right. Reminds me of The Monkees. Anyway, I'll take The Bats from New Zealand. I don't remember how I found them exactly, but I actually talked about them previously in this very thread. I called their debut a "lovely jangle pop album." So, it seems my opinion hasn't changed much. In the grid, I posted "Made Up in Blue," which I found out isn't actually from their album, but an earlier EP. Oh, well. It's still a good song. If you ever find yourself with some extra time on your hands, Will, you should definitely check out Flying Nuns YouTube page and explore. I don't know much about their new releases, but I sure do love their old stuff. The four I would recommend to look for first are The Bats (already covered, it seems), The Clean, The Chills, and The Verlaines.

As for Dream Academy, I've never really been a big fan. I thought I would like them, but they just don't do it for me. "The Love Parade" didn't change my mind. I dunno. I've got a live CD of theirs sitting around here somewhere I've been meaning to listen to for a while. It'll happen someday.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:37:21 PM by Bubs » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »

All right, all right. Here we are:

The Bats from South Africa are all right. Reminds me of The Monkees. Anyway, I'll take The Bats from New Zealand. I don't remember how I found them exactly, but I actually talked about them previously in this very thread. I called their debut a "lovely jangle pop album." So, it seems my opinion hasn't changed much. In the grid, I posted "Made Up in Blue," which I found out isn't actually from their album, but an earlier EP. Oh, well. It's still a good song. If you ever find yourself with some extra time on your hands, Will, you should definitely check out Flying Nuns YouTube page and explore. I don't know much about their new releases, but I sure do love their old stuff. The four I would recommend to look for first are The Bats (already covered, it seems), The Clean, The Chills, and The Verlaines.

As for Dream Academy, I've never really been a big fan. I thought I would like them, but they just don't do it for me. "The Love Parade" didn't change my mind. I dunno. I've got a live CD of theirs sitting around here somewhere I've been meaning to listen to for a while. It'll happen someday.

There you go.  At least you gave them a try.  Of the other bands you mention, I have heard The Verlaines, but not in a while.  I'll give them another shot.  The Clean and The Chills - never heard of them.  But.  When I was playing the Bats the other  day I did look at some of the Flying Nun stuff.  I saw your post about buying the comps.

I can't believe I'm still up, It's nearly 3am here.  Good news - not even midnight where you are!  I stopped by another thread, the 2016 New Music, made a comment, then moved on to Alan's pick, and have been checking out The Drones.  I remember them from about 2010, when I was looking into All Tomorrow's Parties festivals, and the many, many bands that shuffled thru.  Gonna have to wait til tomorrow myself to post my notes.  See ya then. -Will

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2016, 01:17:43 AM »

Death And The Maiden by The Verlaines is probably my favourite song ever.

I Love My Leather Jacket by The Chills not far behind - saw them earlier this year on a long awaited tour,
supporting their Silver Bullets LP - fantastic gig and a kickin' new album but bittersweet as Martin Phillips has descended into stage 3 HepC, the Hep due to his long time penchant for H, so he's on an yet undefined but capped timeline.

For something a little loose but enchanting, check out Circumspect Penelope or Cactus Cat by Look Blue, Go Purple.

In the 80's, the local Brisbane public radio station (4ZZZ) hosted a New Zuland show 9.30pm Monday nights, part of the soundtrack to my senior high (equivalent) years and filling the void of a certain band who didn't really deliver circa '85 and for sometime after (and arguably before!).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »

I've been secretly hoping you would jump in at some point with some Flying Nun talk, Alan.

I might think "Pyromaniac" is a better song than "Death and The Maiden," though.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

(Okay, maybe Kate Bush doesn't necessarily meet the criteria, but I will always include her music regardless.)
I am a terrible human being.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »

i luv the bats !!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2017, 05:42:00 AM »

Rubbish! It's really easy to overlook posts when there are so many.

Agree with B.W. about Kate B. And that Birthday Party album is something else.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

After watching play-off football all day (and night) I feel happiness and sadness.  My favorite team, the Green Bay Packers won a hard fought game to knock out the #1 seeded Dallas Cowboys in a very close one.

Thinking of 80's music, I pick:  Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)  https://youtu.be/qeMFqkcPYcg

My second favorite team, the Kansas City Chiefs fought hard to the end.  Losing to the Steelers by 2 points.  That's life in the football world.  Better luck next season, I will be watching with hope.

I think this one will do.  The title track to my favorite Eurythmics' album, Savage:  https://youtu.be/WXz1PCpgqm0

Hope those play in your neck of the woods, John.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »

Still up.  Playing The Triffids, a band Alan and Bubs have been after me to listen to.  I'll post "Lonely Stretch" -  Can't decide if I like the album version better:  https://youtu.be/Kf8Buwamocc

Or the Peel Sessions take from 1 May 1985:  https://youtu.be/nPY9ilFxhzw

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2017, 01:31:42 AM »

Still up.  Playing The Triffids, a band Alan and Bubs have been after me to listen to.  I'll post "Lonely Stretch" -  Can't decide if I like the album version better:  https://youtu.be/Kf8Buwamocc

Or the Peel Sessions take from 1 May 1985:  https://youtu.be/nPY9ilFxhzw

Touch of the old déjà vu's here, Will. I'm sure both these have been posted before and once again I could only listen to the John Peel version. What a sound----love those drums!

As for The Eurythmics, my favourites of their are "No Fear No Hate No Pain", particularly the magical moment at 3:00. This song wouldn't be amiss on a playlist in heaven.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hULBsMuKBs

And "There Must Be An Angel" (another for that playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuwyPssjJc8

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »

Rubbish! It's really easy to overlook posts when there are so many.

Agree with B.W. about Kate B. And that Birthday Party album is something else.
Yeah, but I feel bad that it's been so long since Josh so painstakingly made that list and that I haven't acquainted myself with most of it.

I have, by proximity, have learned to appreciate Talk Talk more; I've listened to Skylarking in the car once through, and I know a few other songs off of these albums.

I'm working on it. I think I sometimes get intimidated by large amounts of music.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:26 PM »

Hey Mari, you're getting around today.  Put Bubbly on the phone.  Is he moving into other Talk Talk records, or just the one?  The Colour of Spring is not enough.  I was playing their History DVD a couple of weeks ago...
You already know how we feel about xtc.

Tonight I was still in a eighties mood.  Alan mentions these a few posts up^- something I've been listening to for a while now.  Look Blue, Go Purple - "Cactus Cat":

https://youtu.be/XtmlfuEukMs

John, the cactus @3:00 is the Golden Barrel Cactus I mentioned in the mysterious pictures thread at your site.

I posted the studio version of "Circumspect Penelope" at PSF.  Here is a great live version:

https://youtu.be/gdEziDQqCgc

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

Another artist on Bubbly's list I continue to buy more of is Tom Waits.  For Christmas I got swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years and Blood Money.  We had a good time with Alice in the Listening Project thread.  He's only listing Rain Dogs.  I already have Rain Dogs, one of the first I got.  I'm close to having all his records, just filling in holes.

We were talking about The Bats earlier, too.  Still exploring their stuff.  I'm not sure if these were posted.  If they were, I'll bump them:

"North by North" - https://youtu.be/xC4SX4c50Ig

"Made Up in Blue" -  https://youtu.be/1NC3s3Xhphs

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:28 PM »

Another 1986 Triffids track, "Life of Crime" - https://youtu.be/VgWjy1dsQ-A

I think this sounds like early Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »

thanx for the bats !!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:03 AM »

Is he moving into other Talk Talk records, or just the one?

I've been listening to Spirit of Eden. Pretty good record.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2017, 02:29:05 AM »

Is he moving into other Talk Talk records, or just the one?

I've been listening to Spirit of Eden. Pretty good record.

I agree. "Inheritance" and "I Believe In You" in particular are stunningly beautiful, each in their own way. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWThDKGVZJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSg2OIFum3o

Their swansong, Laughing Stock, is well worth investigating too...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx