gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1980's Appreciation Lounge  (Read 75333 times)
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »

I suggest:

Artist: Pink Turns Blue
Song: I Coldly Stare Out

Visage are one of my fave synth groups ever. Some majestic songs by them:
-Whispers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqmvAsPI4A
-Fade to Grey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGTJOFSIgU

Anyone who loves a certain song by U2 owes thanks to Visage!
From wikipedia:
"In the official U2 autobiography, Bono claims that Adam Clayton was trying to work out how to play the bassline of 'Fade to Grey' and his initial attempt became 'New Year's Day', U2's first Top 10 single."

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »

Just remembered something I have on vinyl with Chris Stamey on guitar, piano and vocals.  He probably came into the sessions with Stipe.
Give it a try, you might like it.

Golden Palominos Visions of Excess (1985):  https://youtu.be/Fwl3zZuatpA?list=PL2893B39FD85F6455 
I had forgotten all about this! And Syd Straw!
All my vinyl was stolen from summer storage at college and forgotten music keeps cropping up.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »

New Order, Power, Corruption & Lies
I liked it - not the sound I was expecting from this album. I don't think the record ever rises above the opening cut, "Age of Consent", which is some blissful, jangly pop music. I LOVE "AGE OF CONSENT".

"Age of Consent" has become my favorite song by anyone.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:50:13 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:11 PM »

New Order, Power, Corruption & Lies
I liked it - not the sound I was expecting from this album. I don't think the record ever rises above the opening cut, "Age of Consent", which is some blissful, jangly pop music. I LOVE "AGE OF CONSENT".

"Age of Consent" has become my favorite song by anyone.

Yes, excellent album. I discovered it about ten years ago. I love its mix of jangly stuff and drum machine-fuelled dance elements à la "Blue Monday". I must revisit it soon.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2016, 11:10:19 PM »

I've had a strange craving for coffee today. Now that I've made some, and it's a Thursday night at 10pm, let's dive right in, shall we?

I know I've said here on this board that it's silly to define music by years and decades and whatnot, but since the creation of this thread, the 80's have really fought their way to the front of my "favorite music decades list." And it's been really rude about it, too; I think it stole the 60's lunch money. But that's fair: I was rude to the 80's for a long time. I have a friend named Tovi (you can see a picture of us together here) who maintained the 80's were her favorite decade for music, and I used to ridicule her about it all the time. I always had the idea the 80's were about cheesy synths, cheesy band names, and earrings for men. But, I mean, hey, that's what the radio told me. Fuckin "Boys of Summer," "Summer of 69," "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," "Your Love" (id on't wanna lose your love 2nyt)... you get the idea.

Here's an 80's-related story that just sprung to mind: I had a class where we each brought Christmas presents, put them under a tree, and everyone grabbed the one they wanted. I knew what I was going to bring. I printed out the cover to Roadhouse, put a rubber band around it to secure it to a potato, wrapped it in saran wrap, and put in a box. I still remember the look on the recipient's face. Ah, memories.

Anyway, back to music. What the radio didn't tell me was that this time in music was diverse and thoroughly wonderful. It appears my coffee is gone. At the very start of the 80's, we had the first release by The Birthday Party: the unflinchingly morose beginnings of Nick Cave. We had the third album by Kate Bush, who started to freely experiment in the studio. There was the undeniably fun, 60's-soul-with-an-English-twist debut by Dexys Midnight Runners (let's be real, it's all about "Seven Days Too Long"). Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds teamed up to create the 50's throwback Seconds of Pleasure. The Soft Boys released the towering, all-over-the-place Underwater Moonlight. Talking Heads let their musical prowess loose with their African-influenced Remain in Light. X entered the fold with their debut, Los Angeles. Joy Division exited the fold with Closer. XTC--a band constantly bursting at the seams with ideas--tightened up, became more focused, and released Black Sea, their rhythmic, steely update to Drums & Wires. I tend to think of those two albums being along the same lines as Rubber Soul and Revolver or Sunflower and Surf's Up. And that's all just from 1980!

The 80's would go on to give us the wonderful, jagged post-punk of Josef K; the awe-inspiring debut by The dB's; more Nick Cave-related music than one could reasonably ask for; the wiry, constantly-evolving Go-Betweens; an incredible string of albums from Prince (Sad); the simultaneously forward-moving-and-backward-looking work of XTC; the continued work of post-Joy Division New Order; the crushing No Wave music of Swans, and then the refined, crushing music of Swans; the entire Paisley Underground scene (The Three O'Clock, The Bangles, Green on Red, The Long Ryders, The Rain Parade, etc.); the increasingly-Beefheartian albums of Tom Waits; the band of sad weirdos, Echo & the Bunnymen; the seemingly unceasing output of The Fall; some Minneapolis punks, The Replacements and Hüsker Dü; the creation and subsequent output of 4AD; Kate Bush letting her freak flag fly freely (alliteration, folks); the "golden age of rap," including De La Soul, Public Enemy, and A Tribe Called Quest; the nature-inspired, experimental music by Talk Talk; the unique take on love songs by The Wedding Present that have an undeniable influence on my own approach to songwriting, and just C86 as a whole for all the wonderful jangle pop; the pop vs. noise battles that take place in the songs of Sonic Youth; the whole Flying Nun thing in New Zealand; and all the beautiful, off-kilter indie music, like The Pastels.

And that's just the stuff I've listened to so far. There's still so much for me to explore.

I just wanna shout it from the roof tops, I guess: I LOVE YOU, THE 80's.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts. I leave you with this parting image of Nick Cave:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:48:19 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:05 AM »

What a heart-warming post, Bubbly. (Although it did end on a slightly sour note, hahaha.)

I recently (couple of years ago) discovered the first two albums by Culture Club----and the '80s albums by Kate Bush. Nice to see Talk Talk mentioned-----one of my favourite groups who went through an extraordinary development in that decade...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »

So strange to hear of some of this being 'discovered' because it's so elemental to me. Not because of any 'coolness' but because it's my adolescent zone.
Tried the Sugarcubes? The Bad Brains? Throwing Muses first 3-4 albums?
And yes, the first two Culture Clubs were great: one area where 'alternative' and 'main stream' jived in the '80s.
I'll try to think of some lesser known '80s and post them here.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2016, 08:57:59 AM »

Yeah, I've listened to Throwing Muses. They're one of the bands I forgot to mention, the others being Felt, Cocteau Twins (fits into the 4AD mention, but whatever), Meat Puppets, This Heat, the first album by Pulp, The Bats, The Pixies, The Cure, The Chameleons, Big Black, Killing Joke, and The Feelies. I think that pretty much covers all the artists whose albums I've listened to and liked.

I haven't listened to The Sugarcubes, but I do like Bjork. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

I'm not sure about Bad Brains. I pulled up their song "I Against I" on YouTube, and it was too metal-y for my tastes. Then I also saw a music video for "Rise," which was not a good song. I'm listening to their debut now, though, and it sounds pretty good so far. Do they stop making this kind of thing later on?

and culture club, well... i don't know...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »

Lonely is an Eyesore 4ad compilation?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »

Kay, Bubs. I'm trying to get a handle on what you might like. Jangly pop.
Not Bad Brains. (Funny, for 30 years I've been specifically saying 'the' Bad Brains because I always thought that was specifically their name. Now I learn it's specifically not.
Dead Can Dance? Fishbone? The Descendents? Agent Orange? The DBs? Pylon? Syd Straw? Big Audio Dynamite? The Church?
If you can give me opinions on these, then with your posted opinions above, I can start to narrow things down.
I know, of course, that everyone's taste is nuanced and complex and might seem random to others in some ways, but maybe I'll have a better idea.
My LPs were stolen from summer storage in college. I wish I could look at them.  It would help my memory.  (Edit: I just noticed I said the same a few months ago on this very page. )

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:07:53 AM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »

Yeah, I've listened to Throwing Muses. They're one of the bands I forgot to mention, the others being Felt, Cocteau Twins (fits into the 4AD mention, but whatever), Meat Puppets, This Heat, the first album by Pulp, The Bats, The Pixies, The Cure, The Chameleons, Big Black, Killing Joke, and The Feelies. I think that pretty much covers all the artists whose albums I've listened to and liked.

I haven't listened to The Sugarcubes, but I do like Bjork. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

I'm not sure about Bad Brains. I pulled up their song "I Against I" on YouTube, and it was too metal-y for my tastes. Then I also saw a music video for "Rise," which was not a good song. I'm listening to their debut now, though, and it sounds pretty good so far. Do they stop making this kind of thing later on?

and culture club, well... i don't know...
Oh, and yes, Bad Brains went down hill, or up another hill, or something, fast.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »

Okay, I'm going through your suggestions on YouTube. Place your betssssssssssss. Here are my first impressions:

Dead Can Dance - listened to "the carnival is over" and holy sh*t they take themselves so seriously; the subject matter and the stern looks i'm imagining on their faces is a bizarre combination

Fishbone - this sounds like hair metal ("sunless saturday"); "everyday sunshine" is kinda cheesy

Descendents - my friends like this band, but i was never really a fan; still not, it seems; they're not bad, they just don't interest me; listened to some of milo goes to college

Agent Orange - "bloodstains" is okay, but i think i prefer punk with faster tempos; actually, i'm not really sure what i look for with this kind of music, as i'm still sort of new to it; they're a maybe

The dB's - too bad you crossed them out; i'm always open to talk about how much i love them; "black and white" is a strong contender for my favorite song

Pylon - yeah, this is cool; i like this ("cool")

Syd Straw - listened to "future forties" and "think too hard" and i'm not really a fan (of her solo music, at least)

Big Audio Dynamite - according to "e=mc^2" and "the bottom line," this band is not for me

The Church - i remember listening to remote luxury and not being a big fan; re-listening now: they're okay, but they don't inspire much of a reaction from me; they're another maybe

Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

Just feel like mentioning Romeo Void's "Never Say Never," which I am listening to now. Has some of the coolest lyrics I know of (you know the line).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »

I'm very much not a believer in wrongness when it comes to music, except perhaps for "Starship." (eta and some solo McCartney)
I only crossed out the dBs because I saw them in your list above.
So, I'm thinking you're not likely to like what we called "hardcore" for the most part (too metally)
You don't really like earnestness. (what's the noun for earnest?)
Give me an idea what you don't like about B.A.D. please.
And that you like Romeo Void just really confuses me.
I'm going to be talking today with an old friend who is the maven of '80s 'alternative' and I'm going to have such fun using your posts as a jumping off point.
However, I have another friend who I think has taste that really jibes with yours (except he likes earnestness) and I will probe his memory as well. What fun!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:58:31 AM by Emily » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »

I'm very much not a believer in wrongness when it comes to music

I meant, more like, tell me what I'm missing or what you like about them.
The merits I'm failing to detect.

So, I'm thinking you're not likely to like what we called "hardcore" for the most part (too metally)

Well, I don't know if that's necessarily true. Husker Du, Flipper, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, and Bad Brains are apparently classified as "hardcore," and I like those bands (the Bad Brains debut, anyway).

You don't really like earnestness. (what's the noun for earnest?)

Once again, I don't know if that's true. Dead Can Dance are so gloomy and monotone, and the songs I've listened to are almost cartoon-y in how goth they are. Even the slightest bit of self-awareness or levity would go a long way to make them more palatable. Either you're coming in at their level, or they just seem out of reach. It's the sort of thing I imagine people listen to while casting Wicca spells. Maybe I'll light a couple of purple candles before I give them another go.

Give me an idea what you don't like about B.A.D. please.

All right, listening to their songs again. The first thing that strikes me is how is 80's their music sounds. The stereotypical production values are all over their music. I also think Mick Jones' voice worked better as part of The Clash than it does here on "The Bottom Line." My dislike for "E=MC^2" is along the same lines.  It comes a little too close to sophiti-pop, perhaps. My dislike for The Style Council is also documented somewhere on these pages.

And that you like Romeo Void just really confuses me.

I don't know if I like Romeo Void; I just like that song. I think it's cool to hear "I might like you better if we slept together" coming from a female perspective.

I'm going to be talking today with an old friend who is the maven of '80s 'alternative' and I'm going to have such fun using your posts as a jumping off point.
However, I have another friend who I think has taste that really jibes with yours (except he likes earnestness) and I will probe his memory as well. What fun!

Well, if they have anything to contribute, I'm open to hearing it.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »

Ah, the complications of understanding other's tastes.
I put Dead Can Dance and Syd Straw - totally different music but sharing earnestness - together to guess you don't like earnestness.

So it's just some hardcore you don't like. Hmm. Can you identify qualities that define the pros and cons? Do you like Fugazi, Minor Threat?

Have you listened to Butthole Surfers?

There's an amazing band whose name at the edge of my mind, but every time I almost think of it, "Flaming Lips" pops up. I think the name has something to do with fire maybe.

For some more obvious 80s that haven't been mentioned, Concrete Blonde, The (English) Beat, The Specials, or The Jam, or the Violent Femmes (latter four late 70s, early 80s)

Vic Chesnutt is a guy I've never really gotten into, but is a sort of Alex Chilton figure for Pylon, REM, Kristin Hersh, etc.

More poppy: Dump Truck? Lloyd Cole? The Smithereens? The Sundays (a little one hit wondery)?  Has the Dream Syndicate been mentioned? The Jim Carroll Band?

The Lounge Lizards are maybe a step away, genre-wise, but I love them/him.

Berlin? Bauhaus? The The?

Do you like industrial music? Ministry, Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy?

Just spitting in the wind here.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »

Dead Can Dance - listened to "the carnival is over" and holy sh*t they take themselves so seriously; the subject matter and the stern looks i'm imagining on their faces is a bizarre combination

My two favourite DCD albums are Spleen and Ideal and The Serpent's Egg. And then there's this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyGjNphTQyw

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2016, 11:53:35 PM »

There's an amazing band whose name at the edge of my mind, but every time I almost think of it, "Flaming Lips" pops up. I think the name has something to do with fire maybe.

So, I was talking over this thread with an old friend, and I got to the band whose name I was trying to remember. I reminded her of a time we'd seen this band at a place in Central Square, Cambridge. I told her the name of the band was so close but I kept thinking of The Flaming Lips instead. She said, "huh, well, we did see the Flaming Lips in Central Square in the late 80s, maybe 1990."
Huh
I spent about 10 years completely checked out of US adult culture; much of the time in Nicaragua, then with a little baby watching Sponge Bob and stuff. When I came back to reality, I started paying attention again and there was this really popular new band called the Flaming Lips. I never imagined they were not new at all and were  the same band that I'd seen 20 years earlier. Weird.

Anyway, more suggestions.
Mission of Burma
Love And Rockets
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Joy Division
Gang Green
Human Sexual Response
Dinosaur, Jr.
The Cramps
Killing joke

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2016, 03:42:54 AM »

The Jesus and Mary Chain

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFp7W3PoNPI

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

I just wanna shout it from the roof tops, I guess: I LOVE YOU, THE 80's.
Back in my religion tween years, Relient K was a big part of my life (I still think they're cool). I quite dig this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOu4E915gs

Also I really enjoyed your post, and I'm sort of hoping that I can reach that point.
I, too, have been subjected to the Pandora station at work, as well as our repetitive "oldies" station that only ever seems to play Duran Duran and Eurythmics. But I guess it's also my own fault for not investigating the actual diversity of the '80s more.

Maybe someone can suggest music to me from the '80s that doesn't sound like the stereotypical-radio-edit '80s that I just described...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

Maybe someone can suggest music to me from the '80s that doesn't sound like the stereotypical-radio-edit '80s that I just described...

I shall do this for you. Here are some 80s albums I love with accompanying favorite songs. Click the album covers for YouTube links.

(Okay, maybe Kate Bush doesn't necessarily meet the criteria, but I will always include her music regardless.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:59:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

I weirdly forgot one of my favorite albums which I highly recommend: Fetchin' Bones - Galaxy 500.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »

And I also forgot to mention I like The Long Ryders.

And your post reminds me of Galaxie 500, who is another 80s band.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:37:11 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »

Indeed, Galaxie 500 was pretty popular around the time that Galaxy 500 was released, resulting in some confusion.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »

I shall do this for you. Here are some 80s albums I love with accompanying favorite songs. Click the album covers for YouTube links.
Damn son. You're like... a human Pandora station. Ha.
I appreciate this. Too bad this doesn't count as homework irl. I hope to respond more in-depthly soon.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »

Any band that covers the Rutles is fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDiFk0iXMoI

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx