gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 08:02:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Stebbins FAQ Book: Rather harsh on Brian's Solo Tours and Handlers?  (Read 43191 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »

There is a new place that recently opened up by me called Das Biergarten.  Bavarian joint.  I am going there in an hour to have a few well required Haaker Pshoor's , a very nice Bavarian Weissbier.  Cheers KK

Ray, next time Brian is scheduled to play Brussels, give me a ring and I will meet you over there.  I absolutely love Belgian Weissbier (no offense to my German friends!).  The last time I was in Brussels I consumed so much Weissbier that the six years of middle school and high school French that was buried 30 years deep in my brain came to the forefront, and I was complimented by the locals for my fluency...

And who knows, maybe we can have a Weissbier with Weiss...

Lee
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »

There is a new place that recently opened up by me called Das Biergarten.  Bavarian joint.  I am going there in an hour to have a few well required Haaker Pshoor's , a very nice Bavarian Weissbier.  Cheers KK

Ray, next time Brian is scheduled to play Brussels, give me a ring and I will meet you over there.  I absolutely love Belgian Weissbier (no offense to my German friends!).  The last time I was in Brussels I consumed so much Weissbier that the six years of middle school and high school French that was buried 30 years deep in my brain came to the forefront, and I was complimented by the locals for my fluency...

Lee

Lee ; that sounds like a great plan....Belgium beer and Belgium food....awesome.  My favourite is Maes Pils ; like blood to a vampire.

And a weissbier with Weiss....the comedy possibilities are awesome !  And to do the right thing we really should invite jon Stebbins ; his  FAQ book started this whole mess.....and I can give him a few never told Dennis stories !

See you soon...R

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:33:52 PM by Ray Lawlor » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »

With Jerry, the comedy possibilities are always awesome...

Lee
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

SS beer convention 2015.
Stellar idea. Somewhere warm please ! But the beer must be cold. And no godda...mn Bud Lights !

That rules out Scotland for a while.  We are covered in snow, with arctic weather forecast for the next week!  On the plus side the beer is always cold  Grin
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »

You know, the more I read this thread, the more uncomfortable I am with its mere existence...  Jon Stebbins is a great guy, a wonderful author, and a tremendous fan of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.  He's also a valuable contributor to this board.  I'm not sure what purpose it serves to single out the one (perhaps) most controversial chapter from Jon's collective writings, and start a thread about it -- unless the purpose is to draw the attention of new members of this board (e.g. Ray) to that chapter, and sit back and watch their reaction.

For example, despite the fact that David Leaf and I were friends, in 2001 I was critical of some of David's choices related to the TNT "All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson" in my review in ESQ.  But David and I talked after I printed that, and we worked it out.  And if I were to re-write that review today, I would almost certainly change it somewhat given that I now have 14 years of additional perspective.  But if somebody were to create a new thread called "Why was Lee Dempsey critical of David Leaf in ESQ?", IMO it would serve no purpose other than to open up an old wound that has already healed -- or create new wounds with new members of this board that never read that review the first time.

I really enjoy reading Jon's contributions to this board.  Jon's a tough guy, and I know he can stick up for himself, but this thread seems to be an exercise in pot-stirring.  I agree that the original poster had the right to question Stebbins' motives and sources, but if that was truly the purpose, it seems to me that the same result could just have easily been achieved in a personal message to Stebbins, and a personal response from him.  JMO.

Lee
Thanks for that post Lee. BB personal issues are not really my favorite area of either fandom or authoring, and this thread reminds me why. But beer is good.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »

Lee

Lee ; that sounds like a great plan....Belgium beer and Belgium food....awesome.  My favourite is Maes Pils ; like blood to a vampire.

And a weissbier with Weiss....the comedy possibilities are awesome !  And to do the right thing we really should invite jon Stebbins ; his  FAQ book started this whole mess.....and I can give him a few never told Dennis stories !

See you soon...R

I'm in.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »

While the beer connoisseurs are here; Decisions, decisions - Which one to pour. "All of them" isn't an option.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »

Left to right for me!   Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »

Left to right for me!   Smiley

That sounds like a plan!
Left:  Beer
Center:  Beer
Right:  Beer

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »

SS beer convention 2015.
Stellar idea. Somewhere warm please ! But the beer must be cold. And no godda...mn Bud Lights !

And here I am sitting home with a fridgefull of Bud Lights! Had a party last week with 40 people here and wanted to cover all bases so bought a case of it-NO TAKERS-not one. Man, could I go for a high powered Zywiec right now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:20:46 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

SS beer convention 2015.

And here I am sitting home with a fridgefull of Bud Lights! Had a party last week with 40 people here and wanted to cover all bases so bought a case of it-NO TAKERS-not one. Man, could I go for a high powered Zywiec right now.

Club Kokomo's drink of choice right there! Maybe Mike will drop by and have a few! LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

SS beer convention 2015.

Club Kokomo's drink of choice right there! Maybe Mike will drop by and have a few! LOL
Got plenty of Kool Aid.........wait a minute-there's someone at the door! Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »

SS beer convention 2015.

Got plenty of Kool Aid.........wait a minute-there's someone at the door! Wink

Ohhhh yeah!    Kool-Aid Man

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »

Like talking about beer is a bad thing!

I'm currently a bartender at a place that ONLY sells craft beers. We carry something called "Punk IPA" from Scotland - the best beer I've ever known <3

And of course, a big thank you to Ray Lawlor for everything he has added to this message board. Unfortunate that people like KittyKat are so unpleasant AND vocal about it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:23:39 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »

Well that was.......interesting.  Glad to know I am "well paid" and I travel around to meet my "so called friend" and am a Frank Lima sycophant wannabe ! I better have a fresh look at my checking account and delete Brian's phone numbers from my cell phone.

Moronic.  What I will address though is the false accusation that I "violated Brian's doctor/patient confidentiality issues and his privacy.  What I posted, the information about Brian's doctors 'i.e. who they are, is Public Record.  I posted nothing about his therapy or what his medication is ; nor would I ever What rubbish.

The Board should be about musical discussion and debate, not about the personal lives of these guys and their families. I understand the interest in Brian's story ; it's compelling ; and there can and is intelligent dialoge about his continuing story.

Glad you didn't take that dick seriously, Ray, and hope you'll stick around for awhile.  Was thinking about Stella Artois with my Thai food tonight but decided to have a Tsingtao instead. Smart move. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

And thanks to Billy for lowering the ban hammer.  And thanks to Pete for another good post. The Smiley is back in bidness!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2015, 11:13:15 PM »

I am missing out on all the beers. Its 33 here on the sunny Central Coast of NSW time for a cold one! I support what Billy was basically forced to do.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »

1st step was daring to be banned
The 2nd step was slandering ontor pertawst
The 3rd step step was slandering and insulting Brian's good friend Ray Lawlor
The 4th step was being banned

Three strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out
Three Strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out

Kitty Kat was really a stupid jerk in the first place.
This poster was always a nuisance
this poster was really a jerk
this poster was the worst

Three Stirkes you're out
Three strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out
Three Strikes you're out

On JAnuary 17 th at 1:20 PM Kitty Kat was banned from smileysmile forevermore
Kitty KAt was knocked to the floor
Kitty Kat did not get back up and knock Billy C to the floor
She was a stupid asshole

Three strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out
Three strikes you're out

Rock over london
Rock on chicago

Subway: Eat Fresh!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:03:03 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »

Every time Ray comes on to a thread, a chill comes over and everyone starts talking about beer.

It's usually me suggests going for a beer, but not for this reason.

The beer invites usually occur when a thread's in meltdown, when things are getting daft, when things are getting uncomfortable or, worse, when Smilers are ripping each others throats out.

It's my way of suggesting we all take a step back, chill, and share a beer cos we basically all have the same band's music in our souls and so many good things to discuss.

Thanks everyone for not interpreting those beer invites the way KittyKat did. Ray's always one of the first to join me at the Smiley Bar, so i know he'll not have worried. {edited here for unnecessary comment about KK… apologies.}

And thanks to Ray and Peter for such fantastic posts that took this thread to (yet another) level. And thanks to Billy for cleaning up the place.

Last night I had the Saltaire Brewery's Chocoholic, a stout laced with chocolate syrup and other stuff. Might as well have had hot drinking chocolate. Tonight thinking it will be another IPA to cleanse the palate.

Have you see the Stella Artois brewery in Belgium, Mikie? It's so big it put me right off the drink. Weird, I know. All beers, btw, should be served at room temperature. And I'd start with the Sierra Nevada, Craig, because it's the only one of those ales I'm familiar with…

This round gets bigger and more expensive every time…
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:25:07 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:52 AM »

Why do people complain when topics stray even slightly but if it's about beer it's okay? Cry

(This is not a complaint, I don't care, conversations will naturally drift from one thing to another, but man some folks get upset over this and why is it okay here oh my god jeez)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:36 AM »

Why do people complain when topics stray even slightly but if it's about beer it's okay? Cry

(This is not a complaint, I don't care, conversations will naturally drift from one thing to another, but man some folks get upset over this and why is it okay here oh my god jeez)

Dunno how we get away with it — maybe it's the unifying power of a shared beer; maybe we're all alcoholics (except for those who aren't); maybe we're all Beer Boys at heart…

I'll be looking for a beer at one other BBs RAH gigs this summer if anyone's around…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »

But what of us who do not drink beer, or any form of alcohol whatsoever ?

In my personal case, granted, due to a youthful excess that became semi-legendary in my hometown, but the point is nonetheless valid.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2015, 12:58:51 AM »

Perhaps we could raise cold glasses of Coca-Cola, then? Smiley

I'll even buy you one, AGD!

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »

DC, please - ice, no lemon.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2015, 01:08:15 AM »

Right on. Next time we share a room, remind me to pick up the tab.

My thanks to all who've shared information, background, understandings and observations.

While the thread certainly had its bumps, there were some informative (and occasionally inspirational) moments throughout.

I may not post much, but I read a lot. My thanks to all who contribute their expertise and love with the rest of us.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2015, 01:16:17 AM »

But what of us who do not drink beer, or any form of alcohol whatsoever ?

In my personal case, granted, due to a youthful excess that became semi-legendary in my hometown, but the point is nonetheless valid.

Absolutely. There are no exclusions at the Smiley Bar - all drinks are served and all are welcome, historians, authors, tee-totallers, musicians, fans, voyeurs and all, all included.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx