-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.  (Read 81179 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

I'm a bourbon and coke person  Cool
I do have a soft spot for Sake too.
http://www.aa.org

I'm pretty sure that there are other people on this thread that needs it far more than me. I rarely - if ever - drink alcohol. Though I don't mind the two I mentioned, Alcohol is generally not my cup of tea.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »

A few years ago, after a long/hot/arduous day at work, my boss handed me a Budweiser out of his freezer - to this day it's the most satisfying beer I've ever had. Sometimes the situation you're in dictates how much you enjoy something, no matter how awful it actually is.

Do you mean, Budweiser in general? Or that particular Budweiser on that particular day?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »

A few years ago, after a long/hot/arduous day at work, my boss handed me a Budweiser out of his freezer - to this day it's the most satisfying beer I've ever had. Sometimes the situation you're in dictates how much you enjoy something, no matter how awful it actually is.

Do you mean, Budweiser in general? Or that particular Budweiser on that particular day?

That particular budweiser on that day. Otherwise, I could probably do without budweiser for the rest of my life.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »

I'm a bourbon and coke person  Cool

I'm pretty sure that there are other people on this thread that needs it far more than me. I rarely - if ever - drink alcohol. Though I don't mind the two I mentioned, Alcohol is generally not my cup of tea.

I think he's suggesting you get therapy. Which you need.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »

I'm a bourbon and coke person  Cool

I think he's suggesting you get therapy. Which you need.

Considering you guys don't know me personally, I don't think you have the right to judge
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:26:25 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:05 PM by zatch » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »

Morale to live by - If there are bigger alcoholics than you, you're not an alcoholic.

I use that same logic to justify my actions when I murder people.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:01 PM by zatch » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »

What kind of bar is this?  Grin

How about a few more recommendations for anyone to seek out and try? I gave two pumpkin brews but I'm thinking they may be limited to the New England area. Aren't there any regional favorites to suggest? That's kind of what this was set up for...

If the barstools start flying and a guy gets slung face-first down the length of the bar, we're in trouble.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

That's a pretty stupid moral, and in case people are insinuating something by my comment, that's not what I agree with. I'd just like to make this clear to those who don't realize this:

I have maybe 3 or 4 drinks a year. How in the hell does that imply I'm alcoholic. Can't I make a comment without being sh*t on?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »

It's all good from here on out, let's try to get back to sharing a few favorite brews, or cocktails, or something.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rogerlancelot
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »

Despite their reputation, Old Milwaukee makes a great canned N.A. beer for those of us who prefer to be the designated driver.

Wink
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:53 AM »

What's wrong with therapy anyhow...

How about a few more recommendations for anyone to seek out and try? I gave two pumpkin brews but I'm thinking they may be limited to the New England area. Aren't there any regional favorites to suggest? That's kind of what this was set up for...

I tried some Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale recently - good sh*t. Would drink again soon.

I really love drinking pints at the pub with friends...its really the saddest part about being a student in America. I can't legally drink anymore! Damn law  Angry A friend of mine had a party on the top floor of the Ozone bar, the highest bar in the world. I didn't take this photo, but here's the view:

Now imagine that with an open bar! Good, good times.

My go-to beer is usually either Hoegaarden, Heineken, or Stella. I usually have a pint of one of those + whatever specialty the pub has.
I tried one of these expecting great things:

Very bland. Did not live up to cool name and logo.

My last trip to Japan involved raiding the 7/11's for every kind of alcohol they supplied - they've got a lot of fun fruity drinks with high alcohol content, but not much interesting beer...and I'm not a big fan of the Sapporo/Asahi/Kirin, though you can't really complain when you're getting it out of a beer vending machine in your hostel lobby.

And an honorable mention goes out to Bear Beer, which comes in 6, 8, 10 and 12 percent alcohol content. Not a very enjoyable beer, but its fun to drink.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:41:59 AM by Diane Chambers » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »

Love me some beer. I live in what they call "wine country" but I'm not a fan of that grape drink really at all.

Some favs: Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Lost Coast Great White, almost anything Lagunitas makes, Mississippi Mud.

I live about 20 minutes from the Lagunitas brewery in Petaluma, so I've got to support my local economy by buying their beers. I really dig most of their seasonals. Hairy Eyeball, Lil Sumpin Extra or Wild, and the Undercover Investigation Shutdown ale in particular.They also make a delightful Cappuccino stout. Try it if you never have!!!

PS Pliny The Elder is overrated but goes great with some mussels and garlic fries.

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »

Are you kidding? A non-judgmental somebody to listen to you talk about your trials and tribulations and offer advice on overcoming them? Pfft, no fuckin' thank you.  Roll Eyes

No mas, por favor.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »

Edit: deleted

I have a memory from a tv show where the town therapist who listens to everyone's troubles and takes notes is eventually revealed to just have been doodling for the years he spent listening to people talk. Anyone know what show that is? My brain snapped to Twin Peaks, but I don't think that's it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:05:37 AM by Diane Chambers » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 03:06:01 AM »

Generally there's nothing wrong with it. But I don't like it when people who don't know me personally says that I need therapy, especially given the context. It's just not appropriate, and it came out of the blue, unprovoked.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:18:47 AM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 03:28:23 AM »

I tried some Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale recently - good sh*t. Would drink again soon.

I really love drinking pints at the pub with friends...its really the saddest part about being a student in America. I can't legally drink anymore! Damn law  Angry A friend of mine had a party on the top floor of the Ozone bar, the highest bar in the world. I didn't take this photo, but here's the view:

Now imagine that with an open bar! Good, good times.

My go-to beer is usually either Hoegaarden, Heineken, or Stella. I usually have a pint of one of those + whatever specialty the pub has.
I tried one of these expecting great things:

Very bland. Did not live up to cool name and logo.

My last trip to Japan involved raiding the 7/11's for every kind of alcohol they supplied - they've got a lot of fun fruity drinks with high alcohol content, but not much interesting beer...and I'm not a big fan of the Sapporo/Asahi/Kirin, though you can't really complain when you're getting it out of a beer vending machine in your hostel lobby.

And an honorable mention goes out to Bear Beer, which comes in 6, 8, 10 and 12 percent alcohol content. Not a very enjoyable beer, but its fun to drink.

Seriously, any beer that says 'creamy white' on it can't be very good.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »

I'm quite fond of umeshu (Japanese plum wine).  The best kinds I've had have actual fermented umes in the bottle.  I'm also partial to magkeolli, which is a kind of unfiltered Korean rice wine (though its alcoholic content is closer to beer) that looks like milk and tends to be imbibed in picnic-like settings.  I remember people drinking it before paragliding competitions in Korea, which I wouldn't recommend (and never tried myself), but it is quite good.

Soju is terrible though.  It tastes like hand sanitizer.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:49:45 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:50:06 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »

I'm drinking a beer right now  Grin

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »

I don't really drink anything else other than beer. As far as that goes, you can't beat Grolsch in my book.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

The Czech Staropramen is also pretty popular around here and very enjoyable.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:50:37 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: