-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.  (Read 81166 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »

Starting this thread to discuss everything from craft beer to whiskey, open for discussions, reviews, recommendations, and anything else related. I've seen so many really good and interesting recommendations made in various threads but cannot remember what they were or where they were posted, so this hopefully will be the go-to place for those discussions. And if one starts in a thread, please feel free to move the discussion(s) here so everyone interested can more easily find the discussion.

I'm starting by asking about a current seasonal that is pretty widely available right now - the pumpkin beers. Any love for the pumpkin beers out there? I have a few favorites, but they may be too regional and difficult to find outside the general area to mention. I definitely don't consider the more hearty and flavorful pumpkin ales and other varieties a "session" beer, but especially those with the perfect blend of spices they make a terrific cold autumn night kind of treat.

From my days in Boston, the brewery right across from Fenway Park, just off Kenmore Square on the Green line, the Boston Beer Works has an "Autumn Works Pumpkin". This is over 20 years ago, but the Beer Works had one of the best pumpkin varieties I have ever had, although back then I don't think it had the same name. They do sell bottles outside of the location, but if you're in Boston in the fall stop in and try one on tap.

Another "keeper" that may be tough to find but worth the effort, again from the Boston region, is Cambridge Brewing Company "Great Pumpkin Ale". A slice of pumpkin pie in a pint glass...for those into that kind of flavor.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »

I don't drink beer very often. Once in a blue moon, in fact, which is ironic since one of my two favorite beers is Blue Moon (the other is Killian's Irish Red). The beer to drink at Rockies games (Blue Moon was invented at Coors Field).

No, I prefer cocktails. My main drink (that I enjoy making myself at home, with my cocktail shaker) is a vodka martini.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »

Killians is a good beer, I enjoy them too but haven't had one in a very long time. I guess it's due to all of the microbrews and small breweries that are now available - it feels like there is so much new to try, sometimes the old standards and old favorites can slip away with all those new options.

My cocktail of choice is a Manhattan.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »

Anyone familiar with Faxe? It's one of my favourites. Glorious Danish Lager, with a glorious percentage.

Quote from: wikipedia
It is well known around Germany for its 5% 1 litre cans, North America for its 8% & 10% 500mL cans, and Denmark where it is produced.

Yours truly, knowing what's good for him in summer 2014:

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »

I don't drink beer very often.

I don't always drink beer. but when I do, I don't drink very often.

Is that what you meant to say?  Wink

No??

k.

anyways...
I myself am enjoying a 12 pack of MGD 3.2 gas station beer. It's a real nightmare.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »

No??

k.
[...]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »

I went through a pretty hard-core Mad Men phase. On the show, the drink of choice is an Old Fashioned. I had never had one, so I started trying to make them on my own. I did ok, and then I went to a wedding where they made for me, and those were pretty damn good. About 3 of those, along with the free Bud Light, and I was good to go.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

No??

k.

anyways...
I myself am enjoying a 12 pack of MGD 3.2 gas station beer. It's a real nightmare.

That's not what I meant to say, no. But now that you mention it, Dos Equis is another beer I like. I have it when I'm eating Mexican food.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »

I went through a pretty hard-core Mad Men phase. On the show, the drink of choice is an Old Fashioned. I had never had one, so I started trying to make them on my own. I did ok, and then I went to a wedding where they made for me, and those were pretty damn good. About 3 of those, along with the free Bud Light, and I was good to go.
Mad Men is partly the reason why I no longer purchase Windsor. Windsor is borderline rotgut. Now I always go for the slight upgrade of Canadian Club. It is actually better,yes. But I'm also vain, and did it only for the fact that it's the spirit of choice on the television show Mad Men. I'm full of contradiction.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »

Bud lights at club kokomo

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »

I avoid canned beer completely. Bottled is better but give me real ale on tap any day. And maybe a whisky to round off the session.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »

I live in a beer desert. If I could walk a few blocks to the brewpub for a nice ale, I would.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »

Bud lights at club kokomo
Selfies, please.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »

I avoid canned beer completely. Bottled is better but give me real ale on tap any day. And maybe a whisky to round off the session.
Taps rule, they can lift even the shoddiest draught to a new level.

Curious about the Pumpkin beer mentioned by GF above - will look out for that.

A Western Australian brewer is cranking out a Mango beer - not sickly sweet but a lager style tends toward the crisp and dry; you wouldn't get rolling drunk on it, but you'd share a polite sixer with your wife or life partner in the backyard on a warm to hot sunny afternoon.

The brand name is Matso

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »

I'm a bourbon and coke person  Cool
I do have a soft spot for Sake too.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »

I'm a bourbon and coke person  Cool
I do have a soft spot for Sake too.
http://www.aa.org

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

I'm totally a coke person, too. There is no joy in life like the joy of a nice, white line across a glass table. Sure, most nights end on the bathroom floor feeling like your heart's about to explode, but it's totally worth it.
I'll have to try washing it down with bourbon next time.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »

I drink a ton of beer, I have a soft spot for Bath Salts

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »

I don't think there is a self help group for that. Wink

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »

Well, to each his own. My favourite drink is a cool refreshing glass of pus.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »

Oh, you've never tried urine?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »

Oh, you've never tried urine?

I'm sure Hypehat's had his share of warm beer.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »

I propose a pus drinking game.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »

Isn't pus slang for four Loko. Wink

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »

Perhaps when I'm older I'll learn to appreciate the finer worldly selection of beers. Heineken, Guinness, Stella Artois, Grolsch are my favorites at the moment. Though I usually drink Budweiser, PBR, or Rolling Rock, because I'm a cheap bastard.

A few years ago, after a long/hot/arduous day at work, my boss handed me a Budweiser out of his freezer - to this day it's the most satisfying beer I've ever had. Sometimes the situation you're in dictates how much you enjoy something, no matter how awful it actually is.

We have some great local brews around where I live, my favorite being one called Full Nelson

Has a wonderful lasting flavor. Vienna Lager is another local brew that is pretty damn good - especially from the tap.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:07:35 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: