gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:35:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise  (Read 62285 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »

Ray, Mikie, I tried four different ales tonight but would rather have had a night drinking Sierra Nevada beers in South Lake … maybe next year.

There ya go. Now you're talkin'!

John...what were they ?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

Ray, Mikie, I tried four different ales tonight but would rather have had a night drinking Sierra Nevada beers in South Lake … maybe next year.

John...what were they ?

English swill

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:49 AM »

John...what were they ?

English swill

Dark Horse Best Bitter
Moorhouse's Black Cat
Curiously Orange, which I thought was a Crafty Dan brew but apparently not…
And an amber ale, the name of which escapes me…

Aye, all English swills. I only drink Sierra beer because they named it after my daughter.

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »

I had Landlord (not as good as it should be), Auld Hemp (better), London Pride (good) and Doombar (so-so).
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »

...and, once again, alcohol saves the board!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2014, 04:07:09 AM »

I'll drink to that…

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2014, 06:22:49 AM »

John...what were they ?

English swill

Dark Horse Best Bitter
Moorhouse's Black Cat
Curiously Orange, which I thought was a Crafty Dan brew but apparently not…
And an amber ale, the name of which escapes me…

Aye, all English swills. I only drink Sierra beer because they named it after my daughter.

John;  it all sounds horrible to me.  Anything that mixes fruit and beer does not make any sense in my opinion.  When ordering a Dos XX or Pacifico here in NY , I specify every time and every round....no g.d...mn fruit please ! 

For a bitter , I like John Smith's Original Bitter; I hijacked about 8 of them from the Admirals Club in Heathrow in March.....just about out , unfortunately. I can't get it here, ufortunately.

The Sierra Nevada is pretty damn good
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »

Anything that mixes fruit and beer does not make any sense in my opinion.  When ordering a Dos XX or Pacifico here in NY , I specify every time and every round....no g.d...mn fruit please ! 

I'm of a similar mind, but not quite to that level. Certain things that have a hint of citrus can work, but the things that are intentionally fruit-first (berry this-or-that) or frankly otherwise flavored (maple, pumpkin, coffee) just don't work for me. As with food--or music, for that matter--sometimes the best things are the simplest things, well executed.

To make sure I get an on-topic (or at least sort-of on-topic) note, with respect to any biases the board overall has, I would propose the possibility--without assuming anyone's intentions, which is without question record-breaking twaddle--that people tend to find a bias against themselves or their camps in any situation. Analogously (and I'm not trying to get into this topic, just use it as an analogy), people of one political bent rant that society or the media is against them; amusingly, their politically opposed clique views the same society and media and finds it against them. The board itself has no bias. Its members, individually or in small groups, might. But it doesn't matter anyway, and if we're all conscious of holding ourselves to some semblance of civility, life will go on. After all, it's just a fucking message board... If it's the most pro-Mike place (or pro-Brian, or pro-whomever), it still doesn't matter. We participate. Or we don't. Not a big deal.

Now, just because I'm rambling and it's fun and no doubt you're all enjoying it [...stops to scan the faces in the crowd, sees nodding heads, hears encouraging words, continues...], how about something directly on topic? Okay.

I'm not sure Brian's stock is rising. It's not falling, either. But it seems to me to be about where it has been since the mid-90s, anyway, which is as an established master of pop. Yes, he has an additional 20 years of once-surprising "comeback" since then. But otherwise, I'm not so sure. Big charity single is cool for him and apparently doing well, but if we're talking about it from a recognition standpoint, we've got some 15 years of awards and tributes to look at as well. If by "stock rising" we mean album sales or airplay, I guess we'll find out sometime in the relatively near future. I'm not sure the BBC single is an appropriate measure of that, or at least not a typical one, since it's an all-star situation with his song, granted, but with his performance limited to a few little bits. No disrespect intended.

That was a long post. It was fun. The end.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Yeah, you're never gonna go wrong with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a good steak.  Kegger, dude!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »

The Curiously Orange doesn't contain fruit, it's a ref to the hoppy taste (I think) - bit like Tetley's bitter, when done properly, has an aroma of banana even though it has never seen a banana.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »

I like to sample different beers, but do not care for the hint of a fruit taste, like raspberry, in my beer.  The Belgian beers are generally good, but seem to have a higher alcohol content, which leaves me with a headache in the morning.   When I was younger, a bit of a hangover was tolerable, but not anymore.   
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »

Tonight's was two pints of Hetton Brewery's Dark Horse bitter - very quaffable. And I fell asleep snoring on the sofa an hour ago.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »

I like to sample different beers, but do not care for the hint of a fruit taste, like raspberry, in my beer.  The Belgian beers are generally good, but seem to have a higher alcohol content, which leaves me with a headache in the morning.   When I was younger, a bit of a hangover was tolerable, but not anymore.   

Amen to that

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »

I don't like the way this thread seems to be turning very fruitist. Fruits have feelings too…

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »

I don't like the way this thread seems to be turning very fruitist. Fruits have feelings too…

Seems a very prejudiced thing to say

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »

Prejuiced? Of course, I'm a Limey!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »

Prejuiced, you say?

EDIT:

DAMNIT, you did it first. Tongue
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:11:09 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

Don't be so sour!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

Yeah, you're never gonna go wrong with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and a good steak.  Kegger, dude!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

Myself, I'm a dedicated Sierra Torpedo Extra IPA man, but they had a really good 4Way IPA out in 12 packs this past summer

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/torpedo-extra-ipa
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

Ed, they sell that here in the UK.  I'll need to check it out.  Cheers Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »

Our local supermarket stocks SN beers here in t'Dales… will see what they have next visit.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

For once, I am glad to see this topic turned onto the topic of beer, as in this case a bit of levity is greatly appreciated. I do want to comment on something, and I promise I will leave it alone after this.

I'm sorry that I haven't been around...recent loss in the family and such, which I admit has distracted me from the board this week. I feel bad because I left my fellow moderator in the wind so to speak, and every decision we make is always done as a consensus. I have not made my thoughts clear on the situation which is now (finally) handled, but there is something I must say, and it's a long time coming.

I've been a part of BB/BW boards for 18 years, the past 8 1/2 as a moderator. I've seen longterm posters on this board such as Mikie, luminaries such as Andrew Doe and  Jon Stebbins, teens getting turned on to their music and growing into young adulthood as their fandom grew too, guys I've come to know over these many years, guys that if I met in person and had the cash, would go chill at a local eatery with, and (as the saying goes) shoot the sh*t with.  This board is *the* top BB forum on the web for a *reason*. We have as members of our forum people close to our favorite band on the planet. Now, I think that is pretty damn cool. I've been fans of other artists who are, shall we say, much more standoffish and aloof, and this extends to their circle (inner, outer, or in-between). The thing I really want everyone to remember, is that *every* member here, whether the most honored of guests or the newest of the new members, to my self and the other moderators...at the end of the day, we're all just people, and all deserving of basic human respect. Treat each other with decency. That's all I ask. Occasionally, a situation may develop when a member is suspended or banned. It doesn't happen on a whim or without careful consideration. It also doesn't happen without the approval or knowledge of the other moderators. I've been on forums where this wasn't the case, where being a moderator was all about who could be the biggest prick. That's not the case here. It doesn't matter if you're a Brianista, Kokomo-ist, Marks-ist, Jarhead, or whatever clever name Bruce diehards have (help me out here LOL )...all viewpoints are welcome. The only important thing to remember is, though, we all need to treat each other with respect, because we all deserve the same.

Now, with that said, although I cannot imbibe, I'm raising a cup of pomegranate tea to all of you.

And on the original topic about Brian's status...I heard part of  the BWPS version of 'Fire' used as a backing track for someone to freestyle over it  yesterday.  Wasn't bad, either. I asked him what made him choose that for the backing, he told me that there's folk who discovered Brian because of the J Dilla Pet Sounds mashup, and that someone did a mashup with the Friends album here in Houston!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:52:31 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »

Cheers, Billy!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »

The Curiously Orange doesn't contain fruit, it's a ref to the hoppy taste (I think) - bit like Tetley's bitter, when done properly, has an aroma of banana even though it has never seen a banana.
The banana thing comes from how the kind of yeast in this kind beer metabolises. 

Wish I could get a hold of these fruity ales - as a staunch Shirazist, I've long lost the taste for lagers (clear beer)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:47 AM »

I'm so sorry, I seem to have stumbled into a meeting of Alcoholics Unanimous by mistake. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx