gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:33:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 510871 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 28, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »

I hope tHis gets a wide release as I would like more people other than those believers in the choir to see this story and understand and appreciate the man Brian Wilson as genius/survivor.     but I will not drive hundreds of miles to see it on the big screen.     I will, however  purchase the video and happily watch it on my big screen hi-def tv  over and over.     I absolutely love to watch movies featuring these cast members and it sounds like their roles here will be delightful.  Can't wait!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

asked my local ( St Louis Mo) chain ( Wehrenberg) about theaters that would be showing L&M and got this reply( parentheses mine):

>>This is subject to change at any time but right now we plan to open "Love and
Mercy" at our Chesterfield Galaxy( St Louis), Campbell 16 ( Springfield, MO), Cedar Rapids 16( Iowa) and Ronnies 20 ( St Louis)
on June 5. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »

Event Cinemas Australia is showing a release date of 25/6

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 28, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »

Event Cinemas Australia is showing a release date of 25/6

Wow I expected we'd have to wait a few months. Nice!

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 28, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »

great post.  had tickets ,a close friends mother died and a decision was made.  Hope you enjoyed mpls.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1180 on: April 28, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »

asked my local ( St Louis Mo) chain ( Wehrenberg) about theaters that would be showing L&M and got this reply( parentheses mine):

>>This is subject to change at any time but right now we plan to open "Love and
Mercy" at our Chesterfield Galaxy( St Louis), Campbell 16 ( Springfield, MO), Cedar Rapids 16( Iowa) and Ronnies 20 ( St Louis)
on June 5. <<

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to tell my family in Chesterfield.  I can tell you that there are trailer's in at least 2 different theaters in Kansas City. I believe AMC cinemas is one theater showing the trailer, which is a nationwide chain.  This KC metro area is only 4M, so I would expect it to be showing in most cities. Of course the trailer is running in LA.  Unless someone is in a far-flung rural area, I can't imagine that it will be a problem finding L&M in June.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:17:44 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 28, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »

I doubt any theater here in HK will be showing this movie, but who knows.

Fingers crossed.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 28, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

I'd like to see this at my local drive-in.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 28, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »

I'd like to see this at my local drive-in.

Open the garage door

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 30, 2015, 05:54:34 AM »

The german trailer for the movie is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcNfbL2Bv8

Can't wait to see it on the big screen. Hopefully...

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 30, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

I'll be shocked if this hits the mall theaters in Suracuse.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 01, 2015, 07:02:01 AM »

Me too, but I was hoping maybe the mall theater in Ithaca, or at least something like the State Theatre there.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »

The german trailer for the movie is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcNfbL2Bv8

Can't wait to see it on the big screen. Hopefully...

Not bad at all. They stick to the original synchro as far as I can tell.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »

Netflix has Love & Mercy in their database now. They predict I'll give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I'm thinking at least 4.  Smiley

PS -- And the first movie their algorithm suggests as being "like Love & Mercy" is Full Metal Jacket!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:41:52 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 01, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »

just came back from the screening here in S.F. Loved it as much as i'd hoped i would.

Some thoughts:

-I felt sad for Brian when Landy was yelling at him. Gene had his issues, for sure (might be hard to listen to Let's Go to Heaven in My Car the same way after this). But idk if i can believe that he was evil. As Bill Pohlad said when answering a question, Landy was human. Melinda's a wonderful person for helping get Brian's life more stable, tho. Teared up a lil bit when she kissed him at the end of their first date. I mean, I can relate so much to that social awkwardness & yearning for love. Like when Brian tells Melinda to leave his house but to not actually *leave* him. omg...could've cried my eyes out. So it was sad seeing Landy put an end to that. Also, Brian timidly telling Gene that he was hungry made me sad. But idk. i don't want to think of Landy in such black & white terms. Pure evil? He was a strong-willed guy who should've been a lil more considerate of others. Didn't he try to visit Brian on his birthday a yr after the court-ordered separation? I can't think that he was all bad. Definitely not how most people will feel tho. Like some others mentioned, there was also applause at my screening when Landy gets served.

-The '60s scenes were great but i didn't feel as emotionally involved as i was w/ the '80s stuff. Liked the guys who played Murry & Van Dyke, tho the latter was barely in it. Could've expanded on the "SMilE as Brian's masterpiece" stuff.

-The film went by so quick. I do think some of the Brian/Melinda scenes could've been a lil longer. People unfamiliar w/ all of this might feel a bit lost.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:00:25 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 02, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »

Thanks for posting your first hand impressions, Bittersweet.  I appreciate hearing any and all tidbits from those of you that are seeing the film ahead of the general release date.  And that was very cool that Mr. Pohlad attended the screening and did a Q/A.  Ultimately, I would love for a future DVD/Blu Ray of the film to contain a featurette about the production and perhaps some historical footage and most importantly, a commentary track with Bill Pohlad.  But that's probably a pipe dream.

When it comes to the facts of the BDW story, as with most things in life, I always tend to think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  I have no doubt that Eugene Landy was a positive force in BDW's life in the beginning.  The mid-1970s are evidence that for a couple of years anyway, BDW got on a roll and was being very creative.   By the time Landy came back into the picture (1983?) BDW was most definitely a very vulnerable man. 

Fast forward several years and Landy's methods were getting more and more questionable.  The videotaping, the administering of medication and God knows what else.  Personally speaking, the clincher for me that Landy was ultimately not a good person is the "Primetime Live" piece with Diane Sawyer.  The last bit about the draft will for Brian Wilson that gave Eugene Landy the bulk of everything.  That's the kind of thing you hear about in true crime shows that precede a murder, you know?  Highly suspicious and unseemly.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 02, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »

You're so very welcome, JCM. I can't wait to hear your & the rest of the board's thoughts. It was so awesome seeing a story i'm very familiar w/ be played out on the big screen. As for technical stuff, it's totally seamless when we go from an 80s scene to the 60s. I luv the aesthetics of the film. The sound-scape & cinematography were realistic yet artful.

yah, Mr. Pohlad is a soft-spoken, very nice guy. He tried to portray everyone in a fair & honest light. Seemed disappointed when someone said that the movie made Mike Love look terrible. He also said that the few Landy associates he talked to didn't have good things to say about the late doctor. So yah, maybe Landy was that bad. Like you said, that will thing & what it may've meant is very scary. It's a horrible thought to think that Landy wanted to kill Brian.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 02, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »

Me too, but I was hoping maybe the mall theater in Ithaca, or at least something like the State Theatre there.
That would be nice. Smiley

Netflix has Love & Mercy in their database now. They predict I'll give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I'm thinking at least 4.  Smiley

PS -- And the first movie their algorithm suggests as being "like Love & Mercy" is Full Metal Jacket!

Sh*t, that's funny.  LOL
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:09:39 PM by R. Smith » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1193 on: May 04, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »

I wonder what the chances are of an extended director's cut when L&M is released on DVD/BluRay. 

I'm not sure how much footage was left on the cutting room floor. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 06, 2015, 06:30:58 AM »

I would like to buy the DVD of L&M - I have quite a big DVD collection, most of it licensed - but for that I'll have to fly to Moscow. No chances my town store will have it. But I keep optimistic.

2KDS: smb. mentioned there are quite a few deleted scenes like recording some bits of "Smile" iir. They cast doubt it will ever get included as bonus. Wonder if anyone gone to screening asked this question to Mr. Pohlad. Would be nice to see that stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
hatredcopter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 06, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »

I was at the same screening as Bittersweet. I liked the film a lot! Pretty much every performance was great, and the session scenes were kind of magical.

Has anyone heard anything about Atticus Ross's score getting a release? The director described his score as Beach Boys by way of Revolution #9, but it was a lot less dissonant than that. It was a little bit like the medleys from the Beatles Love soundtrack - fun to pick out different samples.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

The Guardian Land of Oz edition lists L&M as a Top 10 to see at the Sydney Film Festival

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/06/australian-talent-leads-sydney-film-festival-2015-plus-our-top-10-to-see
KDS
« Reply #1197 on: May 06, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »

I would like to buy the DVD of L&M - I have quite a big DVD collection, most of it licensed - but for that I'll have to fly to Moscow. No chances my town store will have it. But I keep optimistic.

2KDS: smb. mentioned there are quite a few deleted scenes like recording some bits of "Smile" iir. They cast doubt it will ever get included as bonus. Wonder if anyone gone to screening asked this question to Mr. Pohlad. Would be nice to see that stuff.

It depends on the director, but it seems like these days, with the amount of information you can get on a DVD or BluRay, these deleted scenes have a way of surfacing. 

For pacing purposes, if they do decide to do an extended directors cut, I hope they also include the theatrical version.  There are a couple of movies that I'm seen in the theaters, then bought the extended cuts when released on DVD, only to prefer the theatrical version. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: May 06, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »

From Brian's Facebook site:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:32:33 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #1199 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

Ang Jones posted this to Brian's Community.  Apologies if it's here somewhere, but hadn't seen it in my checking:

http://www.musicovation.com/blog/2015/5/5/love-and-mercy-why-we-need-brian-wilson-more-than-ever#.VUpyJgda8KY.twitter=
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx