gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508196 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »

"...some pundits are already predicting it could be his next masterpiece.  Wilson said he wrote the songs and then found the artists that could perform them best.  'We lined up a few guest artists,' he said. 'We looked them up and checked them out and they checked out good.'...He considered using a recording he and Beck did of the Irish ballad, 'Danny Boy,' but, 'We didn't put it in the album. It just didn't fit the album very well.' Asked when the other material he recorded with Beck will be released, he said, 'Not soon.'"

This part brings out the cynic in me. 

Didn't Brian specifically want to work with Beck?  Now apparently all of that work has gone out the window.

Be thankful that Brian is being picky about what is going on this album....it says volumes about how much he cares about this project. 

You are assuming that Brian made the final decisions. That hasn't always been the case....for a long time actually.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »

I wonder if Ray Lawlor has seen the movie, what his thoughts are.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »

I wonder if Ray Lawlor has seen the movie, what his thoughts are.

+1

It would be awesome to read any insight he may have.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »

Short article that mentions the movie: http://buffalo.com/2014/08/28/news/movies/tiff-5-radar-picks/

Man, the Mike Love hate is everywhere!  Undecided
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »

Whoa! A warning on the Al Pacino picture. Is that make-up or him for real?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »

Short article that mentions the movie: http://buffalo.com/2014/08/28/news/movies/tiff-5-radar-picks/

It's making a lot of lists, nice to see some buzz is building.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »

"...some pundits are already predicting it could be his next masterpiece.  Wilson said he wrote the songs and then found the artists that could perform them best.  'We lined up a few guest artists,' he said. 'We looked them up and checked them out and they checked out good.'...He considered using a recording he and Beck did of the Irish ballad, 'Danny Boy,' but, 'We didn't put it in the album. It just didn't fit the album very well.' Asked when the other material he recorded with Beck will be released, he said, 'Not soon.'"

Didn't Brian specifically want to work with Beck?  Now apparently all of that work has gone out the window.

Be thankful that Brian is being picky about what is going on this album....it says volumes about how much he cares about this project. 

You are assuming that Brian made the final decisions. That hasn't always been the case....for a long time actually.

If Brian wanted it on the album, it would be on the album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

True...unless maybe Captitol didn't want to put in on the record, but that's clearly not the reason. It comes down to Brian.

Just because the songs they did together aren't coming out now doesn't mean they won't *ever* be released. My guess is Brian decided they weren't a good fit for his and is either saving them for later, or has just set them aside without much thought into the future. The point is, its Brian's decision.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:24:23 PM by Woodstock » Logged

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

That's too bad, their version of "Danny Boy" was beautiful (I have not heard the recording, but did see when they did the tune on Jimmy Fallon's show).  Maybe it will turn up as a bonus track somewhere.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »

That's too bad, their version of "Danny Boy" was beautiful (I have not heard the recording, but did see when they did the tune on Jimmy Fallon's show).  Maybe it will turn up as a bonus track somewhere.

Beck said Danny Boy WILL be on the record.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

Indeed, I was impressed by that Fallon performance. Sadly, Beck said that none of the material they worked on was completed. They spent time in the studio, but went on tour before anything was finished. So I'm doubtful at we'll hear anything from these sessions. I would love to be proved wrong though!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

If it's anything like the Fallon performance, I hope Danny Boy ISN'T on the record. I guess it sounded okay, but Brian wasn't even audible, and it's supposed to be his performance. No thank you. If I wanted to not hear Brian, I wouldn't be listening to Brian.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

If it's anything like the Fallon performance, I hope Danny Boy ISN'T on the record. I guess it sounded okay, but Brian wasn't even audible, and it's supposed to be his performance. No thank you. If I wanted to not hear Brian, I wouldn't be listening to Brian.
I agree. Danny Boy sounded nothing like Brian Wilson and I feel that there's artists that mesh better with Brian than Jeff Beck. When I heard about a possible Brian/Beck album, I wasn't exactly thrilled. However, Jeff Beck is an excellent guitarist but it just doesn't work for some reason on a BW record.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »

Agreed. I posted the below comment after watching it.

This is a pleasant and inoffensive performance. It would have sounded pretty much identical if Brian, Al and David had stayed at home though.

Give me a new Brian Wilson original over this any day of the week.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

Didn't Brian specifically want to work with Beck?  Now apparently all of that work has gone out the window.  Meanwhile, "we" decided that a trio of hot young chicks "checked out good" and will appear on the album...at least two of whom Brian had probably never previously heard of. 

Don't be cynical.  Smiley

Given it was written (I'm pretty sure) by the guy who's collaborating with Brian on AutoBio2, a degree of cynicism is justified, I feel. Tagging anything as a potential "masterpiece" is, also, just begging for grief. It could well be - I hope it is - but I seriously doubt those pundits have heard one note of it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

Re case of "lesser known" vs. "Top 40 hits", I'm siding with startbbtoday. All his points sound logical.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »

Sheesh, you Kokomaoists are so damned sensitive. That little jab was mild compared to what Mike was getting during the 1980's and 90's.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 02:49:12 AM »

Sheesh, you Kokomaoists are so damned sensitive. That little jab was mild compared to what Mike was getting during the 1980's and 90's.

I wouldn't classify myself as a "Kokomaoist," just making a general observation!  I lean more toward the old school Brianista camp.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »

Must say for a nano second , I got rather excited  Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVnj-5rv3CY
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »

Must say for a nano second , I got rather excited  Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVnj-5rv3CY

Is there a way to send that guy a virus?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 06:07:44 AM »

Given it was written (I'm pretty sure) by the guy who's collaborating with Brian on AutoBio2, a degree of cynicism is justified, I feel. Tagging anything as a potential "masterpiece" is, also, just begging for grief. It could well be - I hope it is - but I seriously doubt those pundits have heard one note of it.
I think the text came from the recent Desert Sun article, which is mostly just parroting the Jason Fine press-statements-dressed-up-as-journalism anyway.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/stephen-hawking-brian-wilson-among-subjects-toronto-film-130008643.html

"Love & Mercy": Brian Wilson, the troubled mastermind behind '60s American pop titans the Beach Boys, is portrayed by John Cusack and Paul Dano in his older and younger years in this feature from Bill Pohlad, the decorated producer behind "12 Years a Slave" and "Brokeback Mountain" who last directed a film in 1990. Paul Giamatti and Elizabeth Banks round out a talented cast, and God only knows there's fertile dramatic material here: Wilson struggled with serious mental health issues even as he pushed the Beach Boys to impossible creative highs.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2014, 06:38:34 AM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/toronto-stars-power-15-hottest-728378

Love & Mercy (CAA/Lionsgate)

Director: Bill Pohlad

Stars: John Cusack, Paul Dano, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Giamatti

Buzz: This biopic about Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame is the directorial debut of the respected financier-producer, whose credits include 12 Years a Slave. Dano's performance as a young version of the singer is said to be impressive.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »

B-Dubs

Never say that again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

Say what? B-Dubs?
gfx