gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:41:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36909 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:37 AM »

Again, I don't go to these shows, so my trepidation is mostly observational. Mike wants Stamos there. I think Stamos is, again borrowing Wirestone's term, a blight on the band's history. But that doesn't matter.

It used to, LOL

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »

Stamos says himself in that interview that essentially that is what he does, he goes on stage because he likes it. He doesn't care what the fans think clearly.

Depends on what you mean by fans doesn`t it. Does he care about what some hardcore fans on the internet think more than the thousands that are applauding him at the concerts?

No and I doubt many would.

I totally acknowledge that that guy isn’t getting booed at the shows. There may be some folks bemused or annoyed by his appearance at shows; there’s something to be said for it being more an attention-getting device than something wholly positive for the band’s image overall. Nevertheless, I concede he gets some adulation from the audience (no doubt one of the main reasons he does it), and little if any negative feedback at the actual shows.

But I also don’t buy that Stamos reads about himself on Beach Boys-related internet forums regularly. Yet, he seems *keenly* aware that a contingent of fans are off-put by him. So he has to be getting this information from somewhere. I would guess that he understands too that, in some corners of fandom and in the industry, Mike isn’t always admired, so he’s aware of that direct association as well. He also acknowledged in that interview that the era of the band with which he is associated was not their golden era or heyday.

Nearly *any* public figure has a contingent of people on the internet saying negative things. Stamos didn’t refer to internet fans. He referred to “hardcore Brian Wilson” fans, and also made a more general reference to the fact that, if he were in the audience, he would be off-put too. As I’ve been saying, Stamos is much more aware of the (perceived) negative side of his participation with the Beach Boys than many may assume. But he contends that people don’t realize he’s a huge fan of Brian and of the band. I never doubted that, but maybe others did, I don’t know.

But it is very clear that whatever naysayers that are around or Stamos perceives, he ultimately doesn’t care. That is quite true.

I realize it’s very easy for me to pontificate about what *I* would do in that situation, but I think my (and others’) personalities would dictate that if I actually had an inkling that some fans were annoyed by my presence, and I was known among some fans of my favorite band as a total tool, I would back off and maybe just hang out with the band backstage or come on for one song once in a great while, especially if I already have this ostensibly awesome life and career outside of the band. If I was such a huge hardcore fan of the band as Stamos claims to be, I would be more sensitive to what hardcore fans of *my* favorite band feel than what the “typical concertgoer” thinks, the ones who were excited because “all three Wilson brothers” were on the C50 tour. And again, Stamos actually is very aware not only that some are put off by him, but he understands *why* they are, as evidenced by referencing that he’d be upset if he went to a Beach Boys gig and saw Scott Baio on stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »

I totally acknowledge that that guy isn’t getting booed at the shows. There may be some folks bemused or annoyed by his appearance at shows; there’s something to be said for it being more an attention-getting device than something wholly positive for the band’s image overall. Nevertheless, I concede he gets some adulation from the audience (no doubt one of the main reasons he does it), and little if any negative feedback at the actual shows.

But I also don’t buy that Stamos reads about himself on Beach Boys-related internet forums regularly. Yet, he seems *keenly* aware that a contingent of fans are off-put by him. So he has to be getting this information from somewhere. I would guess that he understands too that, in some corners of fandom and in the industry, Mike isn’t always admired, so he’s aware of that direct association as well. He also acknowledged in that interview that the era of the band with which he is associated was not their golden era or heyday.

Nearly *any* public figure has a contingent of people on the internet saying negative things. Stamos didn’t refer to internet fans. He referred to “hardcore Brian Wilson” fans, and also made a more general reference to the fact that, if he were in the audience, he would be off-put too. As I’ve been saying, Stamos is much more aware of the (perceived) negative side of his participation with the Beach Boys than many may assume. But he contends that people don’t realize he’s a huge fan of Brian and of the band. I never doubted that, but maybe others did, I don’t know.

But it is very clear that whatever naysayers that are around or Stamos perceives, he ultimately doesn’t care. That is quite true.

I realize it’s very easy for me to pontificate about what *I* would do in that situation, but I think my (and others’) personalities would dictate that if I actually had an inkling that some fans were annoyed by my presence, and I was known among some fans of my favorite band as a total tool, I would back off and maybe just hang out with the band backstage or come on for one song once in a great while, especially if I already have this ostensibly awesome life and career outside of the band. If I was such a huge hardcore fan of the band as Stamos claims to be, I would be more sensitive to what hardcore fans of *my* favorite band feel than what the “typical concertgoer” thinks, the ones who were excited because “all three Wilson brothers” were on the C50 tour. And again, Stamos actually is very aware not only that some are put off by him, but he understands *why* they are, as evidenced by referencing that he’d be upset if he went to a Beach Boys gig and saw Scott Baio on stage.

If people were just to do what hardcore Brian Wilson fans said then Mike would have retired and/or committed seppuku years ago. Life isn`t that simple...

You certainly are very passionate about shows that you don`t attend though.  Wink
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »

Question:

Does anyone believe Stamos might post on this forum under a pseudonym? Or perhaps BB Britain (I don't visit BBB) might be more his speed, given Bruce's own proclivities.

The Bloo would probably be more than a little unpleasant for him, although this place can't be much better. Maybe he at least reads us-- the guy is clearly a hardcore fan.

What's his collection like? Does he own an original POB vinyl pressing? Smile boots? When did he buy Sunflower? Does he make his own custom track listings? What's his opinion on Smile RE: The Elements/Suites/the handwritten Capitol tracklist memo?

C'mon, Mr. Stamos. Stop lurking and become an honored guest. The heat may die down a little if we all knew you were reading.

Of course, somebody will probably pick apart the inaccuracies in "An American Family" on a point-by-point basis on your first day posting and drive you away Forever.  Grin
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »

So Stamos realizes that the "hard core" Brian fans don't like him, eh?  I'm not sure you have to be a "hard core" fan to be put off by the way Stamos is presented in the concerts. I'm not a collector of rarities or Beach Boys minutiae like many of our experts here. I don't have booted music or every album or box set. I don't post on the Blueboard.  I do, however, appreciate what the band was and is and I know who the Beach Boys actually are.

I've been to concerts. Beach Boys concerts.  If John Stamos had come onstage acting like a rock star and taking the focus away from the band and music I came to hear, I'd be annoyed. Meanwhile, actual Beach Boys, whom I would love to see on that stage,  are off doing something else.  Maybe that doesn't frustrate Stamos, but it sure frustrates me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:39:20 AM by Cyncie » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »

Doesn't mean he needs to be on stage with them, especially when he's totally superfluous and unneeded.  

Of course Stamos is unneeded or unnecessary, musically speaking. 99% of the audience don't know what or how he is playing anyway. They could care less. He is to be seen and only occasionally heard. But that's not really Stamos' role anyway.

John Stamos is being used by Mike Love, not that John could care, and not in a bad way. It is just another attempt by Mike Love to give the audience a little something extra, something more than just watching/listening to the band performing songs, a conversation piece if you will. Mike's been doing that for decades, as misguided as he occasionally has been. Stamos is "parking lot" and "water cooler" material. When people are walking to their car after the show, they will mention Stamos being there, and I would think positively. When they go to work the next day and are standing around the water cooler discussing The Beach Boys' concert they saw last night, they will mention that John Stamos was there and sang "Forever", again positively. That's all Mike is trying to accomplish.

I think that makes sense, and it probably speaks to done of the reasons he was apparently ill at ease concerning elements of the C50 tour.

Mike, according to this scenario, wants people to come away talking about John Stamos after a Beach Boys show. Others perhaps want the music and performances of actual band members to be the topic of discussion.

I think it might be as simple as, Stamos is a friend who also happens to be a musician and something of a household name. If he's hanging around at the show, why not have him come out for a song or two?

That's not what has often happened. He sometimes joins them on tour, and often stays for much or most of the show.

Your scenario is what I have been saying seems more appropriate in my view.

Again, I don't go to these shows, so my trepidation is mostly observational. Mike wants Stamos there. I think Stamos is, again borrowing Wirestone's term, a blight on the band's history. But that doesn't matter.
Tell me, how is Stamos a blight on the band's history? I have not read anything where he was no more than a mention. He really has nothing to do with what they will be remembered for; their recordings. He is on one song on one album that even the band itself did not care to recognize during C50 promotion. So where is this a blight? It's an overreaction over something that is a "personal" dislike, and that is all.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:27:21 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »

Tell me, how is Stamos a blight on the band's history? I have not read anything where he was no more than a mention. He really has nothing to do with what they will be remembered for; their recordings. He is on one song on one album that even the band itself did not care to recognize during C50 promotion. So where is this a blight? It's an overreaction over something that is a "personal" dislike, and that is all.

I don't dislike Stamos as a person but Mike seems to think that having John on stage with "The Beach Boys" is more important than having actual "Beach Boy" Al Jardine on stage.

In my opinion, Mike calling himself and Bruce "The Beach Boys" is questionable enough for lots of us but when he parades out Stamos as an attraction for the band when Al could be playing with them every night, it once again feels as if Mike would rather ride the cheap Stamos thrill now as opposed to having a willing band member back onstage with the group on a regular basis.

It's almost as if Mike *doesn't* want to add credibility back to the band.  Nothing seems more real than actual members in the group.

I luckily didn't find the Beach Boys via Full House like some people did but I sincerely believe Mike enjoys Full House reruns more than he likes Smile!

In my opinion, I see blight.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:26:39 AM by Foster's Freeze » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »

I don't dislike Stamos as a person but Mike seems to think that having John on stage with "The Beach Boys" is more important than having actual "Beach Boy" Al Jardine on stage.

In my opinion, Mike calling himself and Bruce "The Beach Boys" is questionable enough for lots of us but when he parades out Stamos as an attraction for the band when Al could be playing with them every night, it once again feels as if Mike would rather ride the cheap Stamos thrill now as opposed to having a willing band member back onstage with the group on a regular basis.

It's almost as if Mike *doesn't* want to add credibility back to the band.  Nothing seems more real than actual members in the group.

I luckily didn't find the Beach Boys via Full House like some people did but I sincerely believe Mike enjoys Full House reruns more than he likes Smile!

The music is all that matters and is all that they will be remembered for. Stamos may be a blight to you, but be assured that he will not be a part of their musical history.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »

I liked the Boys before their cheesy, awkward cameos on Full House.  But I also liked Full House.  My kids now love Full House, and despite my best efforts to instill a love for the Beach Boys into their hearts, ultimately they came to it because of Full House.  My 8 and 10 year old now debate the order of Smile tracks and whether the Carl fly-in for the TSS version of Surf's Up was appropriate or not.  They got that from Uncle Jesse, not me.  I'm cool with Stamos.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »

I know I'm in the grand minority here, but I really don't mind Stamos playing with The Beach Boys. He's been doing it since, what? 1987? And people are still bitching?

The Beach Boys are a serious band, but they're also a fun band. Obviously hardcore Beach Boys fans would rather concentrate on the "serious" aspect, while Mike has continually chosen the "fun (fun fun)" side.

Concerts are supposed to be entertaining, right? Stamos is an entertainer. Casual Beach Boys fans (the great majority of people who attend Beach Boys shows) want to be entertained. And having Stamos dance around the stage is more entertaining than seeing Randall Kirsch standing completely still in his cowboy hat playing bass and singing falsetto. Stamos is the worst musician on stage, obviously, but Mike's an entertainer too, and he wants his audiences to be entertained.

It probably helps that I was a kid when Full House was on, and I loved watching it. But Stamos has legitimate ties to the Beach Boys, he's been playing with them for over 25 years and he makes the band more entertaining for casual fans. Whatever. It's kind of sad how anti Stamos some Beach Boys fans are.

NRBQ is pretty entertaining too. And Terry Adams acts like a total LOON behind the piano (a personal favorite of mine btw), but here's the difference...they're not playing air guitar. They're not aping for the camera. They're playing their ass off. They BELONG there. @#$% Stamos. Put me in that category of BB fan. That's how I feel.

What cameras are Stamos aping for? Local photographers? He's aping for the fans. If Carl Wilson didn't have a problem having him around, I don't mind having him around.

He was annoying at shows when Carl and Al were still in the band too. I've made my own mind up that, from an audience perspective, it's distracting and tacky. I don't know how much Carl enjoyed having him there, versus tolerated it, versus who knows what. But even if it was Carl's personal idea to have him there, it was/is still tacky.

I read that Carl was often very unhappy with Stamos appearing on stage with them. Or looked like that during the shows. I can't say that that is true and I don't remember where I'd read that. Somewhere on this board I guess

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »

That's a really good point. I doubt Stamos plays for free... if only that money could be used to pay Al and bring him back into the fold, or even David...
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

The music is all that matters and is all that they will be remembered for. Stamos may be a blight to you, but be assured that he will not be a part of their musical history.
[/quote]

Yes, that's true for some but not all.  The music matters to all but the identity or direction of the band matters to the fans who care about more than the music.  For example, if your parents get a divorce and then remarry, you don't necessarily stop loving them but you certainly may not like who they are with or the direction they are heading.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

Stamos says himself in that interview that essentially that is what he does, he goes on stage because he likes it. He doesn't care what the fans think clearly.

Depends on what you mean by fans doesn`t it. Does he care about what some hardcore fans on the internet think more than the thousands that are applauding him at the concerts?

No and I doubt many would.

Why should Stamos "hide" backstage? Because there are posters in cyberspace who think they can "wag the dog?" He has toured with them for about thirty years. He is hardly a newbie.

Most concertgoers don't make it their business to know or care what the not-so-silent minority feels.  There is a larger contingent of fans who actually have a ticket and attend, than those in cyberspace.  Most of us are inherently Brian Wilson fans.  The music can't be bifurcated in such a way that splits Brian from this band.  

And, I was actually at the show and have seen the Oikos snapshot onscreen more than once in the last several months.  And people find it hilarious.  If the commercial clips were not successful they would be pulled.  

If I listened to every pseudo-intellectual during college and grad school disparage my favorite band, who were not considered "cool" at the time, I would not be seeing them now.  And there are plenty of fans with advanced degrees who love the Touring Band, and clearly they aren't stupid people, either. But they don't get into his lower-than-a-bad-soap-opera disparagement that seems to be prevailing as of late.

And, so what if Al didn't perform.  Maybe, just maybe, he decided to be with his son, while he gets his feet wet with Brian's band, with the guy with whom he worked forming the band and who is a fellow BRI member.  

And yet, I never read this as a possibility to explain why he wasn't available to be at this show.  

It was a blast, particularly because it wasn't just The Beach Boys.  It was Felix Cavaliere, and The Lovin' Spoonful. A triple billing and a nice slice of the absolute best of that era in rock.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:40:10 PM by filledeplage » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »

Yes, that's true for some but not all.  The music matters to all but the identity or direction of the band matters to the fans who care about more than the music.  For example, if your parents get a divorce and then remarry, you don't necessarily stop loving them but you certainly may not like who they are with or the direction they are heading.
[/quote]

But that was not what was stated. It wasn't a personal assessment. It was a direct "blight on their history". Meaning it as a fact, which it is not now, nor will it be in the future. Nothing I have read has stated that Stamos was either good or bad upon their career. He has been traveling with them for the past 30 years and if it hasn't sullied them by now, it never will. Rarely are bands judged on their concert personnel. It is always about the impact that the band made upon the music scene and that is most always their recorded output.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:40:36 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

But that was not what was stated. It wasn't a personal assessment. It was a direct "blight on their history". Meaning it as a fact, which it is not now, nor will it be in the future. Nothing I have read has stated that Stamos was either good or bad upon their career. He has been traveling with them for the past 30 years and if it hasn't sullied them by now, it never will. Rarely are bands judged on their concert personnel. It is always about the impact that the band made upon the music scene and that is most always their recorded output.

We shall respectfully agree to disagree!  Hug

Nicko1234
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

I think we are getting into the realms of fantasy now...

When has Al said that he wants to play 100 shows a year with M&B?

And isn`t it a touch ironic that you are making this comment about a show that Al could have attended?

None of us know the full details of why Al chose to perform with Brian and his son instead but for it now to have been twisted into `Stamos appeared therefore Al was excluded is bizarre`.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »

We shall respectfully agree to disagree!  Hug
Please point me to any book written so far that has Blighted the history of The Beach Boys due to Stamos being on stage with them. It has been 30 years, so if it really is an issue then there should be many out there to quote from if it is that big of an issue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »

How did John Stamos get involved with playing with the Beach Boys? I read somewhere that he used to ride his bike around Mike's parents' house in Garden Grove, when he was just a kid, and Milton Love let him in the house to look at some of Mike's gold records. I've never read, though, exactly how he came to play with the Beach Boys or have them guest star on Full House.
Nicko1234
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »

How did John Stamos get involved with playing with the Beach Boys? I read somewhere that he used to ride his bike around Mike's parents' house in Garden Grove, when he was just a kid, and Milton Love let him in the house to look at some of Mike's gold records. I've never read, though, exactly how he came to play with the Beach Boys or have them guest star on Full House.

Not that this answers your question but their appearance on You Again? preceded Full House...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »

Am I crazy or were The Beach Boys on "Home Improvement" as well?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

They were, minus Brian, but with Matt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j0Dom1mUM
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:42:23 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »

They were, minus Brian, but with Matt.

They should have just had their own sitcom!

"Bruce Johnston starring in: WHO'S WEARING THE SHORTS! Saturdays on ABC"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »

deleted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:07:06 PM by Mr. Woodmeister » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

Why should Stamos "hide" backstage? Because there are posters in cyberspace who think they can "wag the dog?" He has toured with them for about thirty years. He is hardly a newbie.

Most concertgoers don't make it their business to know or care what the not-so-silent minority feels.  There is a larger contingent of fans who actually have a ticket and attend, than those in cyberspace.  Most of us are inherently Brian Wilson fans.  The music can't be bifurcated in such a way that splits Brian from this band.  

And, I was actually at the show and have seen the Oikos snapshot onscreen more than once in the last several months.  And people find it hilarious.  If the commercial clips were not successful they would be pulled.  

If I listened to every pseudo-intellectual during college and grad school disparage my favorite band, who were not considered "cool" at the time, I would not be seeing them now.  And there are plenty of fans with advanced degrees who love the Touring Band, and clearly they aren't stupid people, either. But they don't get into his lower-than-a-bad-soap-opera disparagement that seems to be prevailing as of late.

And, so what if Al didn't perform.  Maybe, just maybe, he decided to be with his son, while he gets his feet wet with Brian's band, with the guy with whom he worked forming the band and who is a fellow BRI member.  

And yet, I never read this as a possibility to explain why he wasn't available to be at this show.  

It was a blast, particularly because it wasn't just The Beach Boys.  It was Felix Cavaliere, and The Lovin' Spoonful. A triple billing and a nice slice of the absolute best of that era in rock.

One of my points has been that Stamos shouldn't perhaps demur when asked to play because of what others say or think. Rather, one can make the argument that it might behoove someone to come to that conclusion on their own, out of humility. The fact that, after he already makes the decision to horn in on the shows, he does so knowing some sort of contingent of fans (who have quickly been marginalized as "internet" nerds, etc.) are annoyed is only potentially a bit extra troubling.

He participates because he's a hambone. He does it for selfish reasons. He's honest about it at least. If fans of his appearances would do the same, well, it wouldn't really change anything, but maybe it would make these discussions a little bit less circular.

It's clear you're inclined to measure not only Stamos, but Stamos' relationship to the Beach Boys, based on yogurt commercials and YouTube hits. That's cool. Some who feel the Beach Boys are owed a bit more class than the current stage presentation afford them feel otherwise, that's all.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:32:03 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »

Please point me to any book written so far that has Blighted the history of The Beach Boys due to Stamos being on stage with them. It has been 30 years, so if it really is an issue then there should be many out there to quote from if it is that big of an issue.

Does it need to be in a book to be true?  Do I need a fish hack to justify what many common fans think?

I've stated before that I don't dislike John Stamos but myself and I'm certain thousands of others around the globe (who were fans before the cheese set in) loved the band when they actually cared about the music, not cheerleaders and a non-willingness to continue to be creative.

I still love the Beach Boys but I don't view Mike and Bruce as the Beach Boys and I'm not apologetic about it nor will I be.  That's cool if you think Stamos adds something to the M & B showband but it doesn't sit well with all the fans, especially those that pre-date the "Stamos era."

Classic "Mike Lovers" defend the guy for what he does but he yaks about the importance of not devaluing or saturating the brand but other than pimping Stamos fans to buy another rehashed Greatest Hits CD, what value or artistic credibility does he bring to the show?  In the 5 or 6 times I haven't seen the Mike and Bruce Review, Stamos was there each time and I especially wouldn't have wanted to see him for god sakes, you're the Beach Boys!

In each of those shows, Stamos received almost as much advertisement time as did Mike and Bruce.  As a Beach Boys fan that makes you embarrassed that they need to ride Stamos' coat tails to get people interested.

Fans of the band don't need a book to tell them what's right and what's wrong, we make up our own mind.

Also of note in all of this I should remind those of you who's skin I seem to get under (not directed at you drbeachboy) that I am a fan of all the guys as The Beach Boys.  Post Carl, all of them have acted like idiots as far as I'm concerned and are all to blame for the drama.  Not just Mike, not just Al, not just Brian.  The fact that all of them (BRI) couldn't work something out after C50 is simply unreal.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:47:51 PM by Foster's Freeze » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx