gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:59:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are the odds on an official Adult/Child release?  (Read 11152 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »

Do you think it will see an official release someday?
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »

I say yes on that

I had a fast Life
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

sure why not.. might as well...
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

As a stand-alone product? Doubt it.

We'll probably see something else leak out on a rarities compilation at some point, but the money just isn't in the product for Capitol to do something like this.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »

what they should do is simply put the album on iTunes/amazon and people can download it..that won't cost them a lot of money to do....
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »

I believe the best of Adult Child has already been released.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

I don't see Life is for the Living ending up on any official release.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »

........or Hey Little Tomboy.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »

Absolutely.  Eventually it'll all come out.

The Beach Boys could have a specialty collector's label to sell to their hardcore fans what bootleggers have been doing for decades.  Elvis has one.  The Doors have all kinds of releases.  Grateful Dead, of course.  The Beach Boys could certainly have one.

I suspect the Beach Boys just have too much of a fun/sun image to maintain.  The shock of Brian's bizarre behavior in the late 70s/80s and early 90s just can't be unleashed while everyone's still around.  Sadly.

Personally -- I think they're being mismanaged or something.  There's such a legacy here.  It's just never been packaged and managed correctly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:50:28 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

I expect it'll eventually come out in some online rarities release a la Big Beat, although to be honest it's already available in superb quality thanks to the soniclovenoize mix.

But I can see it sharing a disc with Love You, maybe plus some bonus tracks. I'd also love to see what the officially released cover would look like.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »

I expect it'll eventually come out in some online rarities release a la Big Beat, although to be honest it's already available in superb quality thanks to the soniclovenoize mix.

that's troublesome....

The Big Beat....... what a flop of a release if you can call it a release........ a wasted opportunity for fans worldwide.

they would have been better off holding onto the tracks and throwing them on a MIC type collection and making more money that way.......

how many here actually purchased this from iTunes?Huh?  I didn't on principal against those bastards....

theres an article somewhere online about iTunes...

when one purchases a 99 cent download...

iTunes gets 50 percent...... yep, 50 percent of that.

10 percent goes to the music publisher?.... (i.e. somewhere else lol!)

and the other 40 goes to the record company...

and from that 40 percent, the company then pays the artist...

you do the math.......... actually van dyke recently is not that far off the mark

when talking about royalties.....

I hope Adult/Child does NOT end up on iTunes or any of that sh*t.....

from a licensed BB/BW site..... No ProblemO!!   Grin

RickB

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:25:24 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

But I can see it sharing a disc with Love You, maybe plus some bonus tracks. I'd also love to see what the officially released cover would look like.
^
Before the release of Big Beat I'd say no, but now it seems like a digital release could happen.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »

Brian's Really Back - the post 15 Big Ones sessions 1976-77.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »

Brian's Really Back - the post 15 Big Ones sessions 1976-77.  Grin

I hope this too Grin

Brian returned to his Bed Room - L.A. Sessions 1978
Nicko1234
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »

Some songs should have been included on MiC.

This `album` is massively overrated by some as Hey Little Tomboy is terrible, On Broadway is dire and out of place and several other songs are nothing to write home about.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »

Absolutely.  Eventually it'll all come out.

The Beach Boys could have a specialty collector's label to sell to their hardcore fans what bootleggers have been doing for decades.  Elvis has one.  The Doors have all kinds of releases.  Grateful Dead, of course.  The Beach Boys could certainly have one.

I suspect the Beach Boys just have too much of a fun/sun image to maintain.  The shock of Brian's bizarre behavior in the late 70s/80s and early 90s just can't be unleashed while everyone's still around.  Sadly.

Personally -- I think they're being mismanaged or something.  There's such a legacy here.  It's just never been packaged and managed correctly.
first of all any and every REAL rock pundit knows that the BBs were and are so much more than a "fun in the sun" image and second what other image is there to have yknow? What was the beatles image- moptop mod image? How was that any cooler than the BBs yknow? It blows my mind how dolts ignore how the beatles woulda been NOTHING without george martin...he wasnt just a producer/ he was the man who took a crude mediocre pub band and molded them into the hype machine theyre known as. It boggles mind how the typical young douchebag music consumer worships the beatles and led zep when there was so much more quality music. Its a trip how it took awhile for the beatles to get good, starting with meet the beatles... lotta people say surfer girl was the first "great" BBs album but I really think Surfin usa was cuz it showed that they could play REAL surf music just as good if not better than ANY legendary surf band, hell their version of misirlou even mixed up the execs at capitol with dick dales!!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

We won't see it sold with TWGMTR in Walmart, that's for sure.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »

The full album released?  Wouldn't count on it, it's not exactly in high demand and it's also not very good, though there are quite a few gems that will probably see the light of day on rarities compilations which I'm sure we haven't seen the last of.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »

I've been listening to this thing for almost 2 decades now. I have a love/hate relationship with it. For instance, Brian's cover of "Deep Purple" is so pained sounding that it brings tears to my eyes (but then who wants to do that every time they want to listen to music?). A song like "Everybody Wants To Live" show exactly how the Wilson brothers would sound on their own: beautiful but lazy. "It's Over Now" on MIC (disregard other mixes) is the most depressing song I've ever heard and yet I believe it's the one I've actually played the most from that set. "Shortenin' Bread" makes a much better story about the BB legacy but actually listening to it seems embarrassing and uncomfortable (like the lyrics of "Life Is For The Living", "Hey Little Tomboy" and "HELP Is On The Way". I want to hate Al doing cover songs but he sounds good on "On Broadway" as does the arrangement. I mean, maybe it should have remained an outtake until some archival release but whatever. "Still I Dream Of It" is soooo beautiful and yet soooo sad but I would rank it as one of the best compositions by any song writer of any era. After listening to the album as a whole, I need to listen to Dennis sing "Sea Cruise" (almost the same era) just to cheer back up.

Love You is far cheerier but perhaps doesn't run as deep as a few songs from Adult Child. Now what about New Album? I read somewhere that the lineup for that album was mapped out before Love You and Adult Child which I find hard to believe. Still, it does have an interesting line-up!

Sudden suggestion: Why not combine the best of Adult Child with New Album in a cohesive running order? I know you could easily roll your own between official releases and bootlegs (the early unedited version of "My Diane" would be essential) but how about if it were remixed and make that an example of an official Brothers Rarities cd? The stories about Adult Child would of course attract a lot of press which would equal $$$ (or whatever your currency is) and yet the "rough" sounding bits can be nicely smoothed over.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »

On the whole Adult Child sucks, the good stuff has already come out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

I'm surprised a few songs from Adult/Child didn't make the cut on MIC. Especially Everybody Wants To Live, or Deep Purple. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 04:10:03 AM »

Sure, they'll make it a two-fer with Sweet Insanity. The intention of releasing that is destroying Brian's reputation forever.

Some songs should have been included on MiC.

Disagree. Shocked

This `album` is massively overrated by some

Agree.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 04:26:47 AM »

Sure, they'll make it a two-fer with Sweet Insanity. The intention of releasing that is destroying Brian's reputation forever.

People can take a bit of quirkiness. An official release of Adult Child wouldn't damage anyone's reputation at all. Hey Little Tomboy, which may be its most offensive song, has been out since 1978. Stuff like "Lines" or "Still I Dream of It" have been perceived as good and charming enough in order to be covered by other singers.

The only problem I see is the album isn't quite as good as Love You. If it ever got out it would probably be a very small archival release similar to Jan & Dean's Carnival of Sound or even Curt Boettcher's California Music. You can't market AC as a "lost masterpiece"... Still it might receive some media attention from the likes of Pitchfork (my guess would be a 7,2 rating in this particular case Cheesy ).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

I'm surprised a few songs from Adult/Child didn't make the cut on MIC. Especially Everybody Wants To Live, or Deep Purple. 

everybody wants to live is my personal favorite unreleased song, along with the original my diane...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »

Is there a known list of tracks for New Album?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx