gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:59:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Beck Calls His Tour with Brian Wilson ‘A Bit of a Nightmare’  (Read 42696 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »

Well, Jeff Beck is about to be classified right above Michael Love in the "assholes" department.

Grin

Brian is a loner who just wants to be left alone, people will never understand that

I hope he likes kids.

this answers the question I hope?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3y8nDDpVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgQXW9rOiN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IQ-2qFCSJA

isn't there one called 'thank god for little children'?

nah, I think Brian's clean... just having poor judgement with titles and lyrics occasionally
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:07:41 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »

Some interesting discussion here.

For those of us who have followed Brian Wilson, from afar in my case, there are no surprises here.  However, I can empathize with Jeff Beck, seeking a little camaraderie and/or encouragement from someone he admires greatly and not getting anything, and thus feeling put off, confused, and uncomfortable.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Jeff's been around the block and is a rock musician by trade.  I'm positive Brian's not the weirdest guy who's offended him over the years...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

Brian is what he is: I've been in his company when he's a relaxed and hugely funny guy, and I've seen him very obviously wanting to be somewhere, anywhere else, and zoning out. And yes, some of it is a put on, even now. There's a lot of talk about the people who have manipulated Brian down the years, from Murry to Joe Thomas via Mike, Landy & Melinda (to name just the five names most often cited, rightly or not), but he's no mean manipulator himself. Am I denying there's also a considerable degree of damage ? No, of course not: just that, as with the rest of the BB cosmos, nothing is ever black and white, more 500 shades of gray.

The Beautiful Dreamer documentary seems to show his different sides very well don't you think?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »

Brian is what he is: I've been in his company when he's a relaxed and hugely funny guy, and I've seen him very obviously wanting to be somewhere, anywhere else, and zoning out. And yes, some of it is a put on, even now. There's a lot of talk about the people who have manipulated Brian down the years, from Murry to Joe Thomas via Mike, Landy & Melinda (to name just the five names most often cited, rightly or not), but he's no mean manipulator himself. Am I denying there's also a considerable degree of damage ? No, of course not: just that, as with the rest of the BB cosmos, nothing is ever black and white, more 500 shades of gray.

Exactly, precisely and exactly some more.

And though it's nitpicking, I would point out that -- based on publicly available sources -- Murry and Landy are at one end of a spectrum, and Mike, Joe and Melinda are at another. There's a difference between pressuring someone to make artistically debatable choices and physically abusing him.

I feel compelled here to jump into this discussion here as it drives me goofy when quoting these publicly available sources, Melinda Wilson is lumped together with Murray and Landy ; the two most nefarious characters in the entire BB/BW universe , as being manipulative of Brian; it is unreasonable that she is so unfairly maligned ; especially given her role in getting Brian away from Landy.  She is very involved in Brian's career; but no more in fact than Jacquie Love, MaryAnne Jardine and Carrie Marks are with Mike, Alan and David; and those three guys combined are not as complicated to deal with as Brian, you can take that to the bank.

In the last 15 years we have gotten off the top of my head; Pet Sounds live, SMiLE live, BWPS live and disc, TLOS live and disc, Gershwin, The Queen's Jubilee, Kennedy Center Honors, C50 ; she was very much instrumental in all of this being accomplished, but nobody really knows that. Does she push Brian to focus and work up to his abilities; hell yes....and then he thanks her for it when things are done to his satisfaction. I , for one, am thrilled with all of this output; but without her encouragement who the hell knows what he would have done; certainly not all of that .

I have seen her talking to folks who post on this board; remembering their names , always gracious to them. I have been with her in the lobby of The Beacon in NYC , and Royal Festival Hall in London , having a beer and chatting with some of the fans.  But that kind of stuff is off radar.

Melinda ain't Mother Teresa , and I am not trying to paint her as such; but I have known her for over twenty years and some of the shite that now passes for "fact" just doesn't jive with the real person. But she loves Brian and is extremely protective of him; and thats a good thing.

The funny part of this is that, as Andrew alluded to above,  nobody in the galaxy is a better master manipulator than Brian; and there is probably nobody he manipulates better than Melinda .

Sorry to have gotten on my soapbox ; Brian lives a very comfortable life now , and MW is a large part of that....and the only good thing I can say about Murray and Landy is that they are still dead.

Cheers.  Ray
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »

I believe most of the people on this board realize that Melinda is a good woman and prob. the reason Brian's still with us.  Long live Melinda!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »

You're a lovely man, Ray Lawlor.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »

Exactly, precisely and exactly some more.

And though it's nitpicking, I would point out that -- based on publicly available sources -- Murry and Landy are at one end of a spectrum, and Mike, Joe and Melinda are at another. There's a difference between pressuring someone to make artistically debatable choices and physically abusing him.

I feel compelled here to jump into this discussion here as it drives me goofy when quoting these publicly available sources, Melinda Wilson is lumped together with Murray and Landy ; the two most nefarious characters in the entire BB/BW universe , as being manipulative of Brian; it is unreasonable that she is so unfairly maligned ; especially given her role in getting Brian away from Landy.  She is very involved in Brian's career; but no more in fact than Jacquie Love, MaryAnne Jardine and Carrie Marks are with Mike, Alan and David; and those three guys combined are not as complicated to deal with as Brian, you can take that to the bank.

In the last 15 years we have gotten off the top of my head; Pet Sounds live, SMiLE live, BWPS live and disc, TLOS live and disc, Gershwin, The Queen's Jubilee, Kennedy Center Honors, C50 ; she was very much instrumental in all of this being accomplished, but nobody really knows that. Does she push Brian to focus and work up to his abilities; hell yes....and then he thanks her for it when things are done to his satisfaction. I , for one, am thrilled with all of this output; but without her encouragement who the hell knows what he would have done; certainly not all of that .

I have seen her talking to folks who post on this board; remembering their names , always gracious to them. I have been with her in the lobby of The Beacon in NYC , and Royal Festival Hall in London , having a beer and chatting with some of the fans.  But that kind of stuff is off radar.

Melinda ain't Mother Teresa , and I am not trying to paint her as such; but I have known her for over twenty years and some of the shite that now passes for "fact" just doesn't jive with the real person. But she loves Brian and is extremely protective of him; and thats a good thing.

The funny part of this is that, as Andrew alluded to above,  nobody in the galaxy is a better master manipulator than Brian; and there is probably nobody he manipulates better than Melinda .

Sorry to have gotten on my soapbox ; Brian lives a very comfortable life now , and MW is a large part of that....and the only good thing I can say about Murray and Landy is that they are still dead.

Cheers.  Ray

The sense I got from Wirestone’s post was just the opposite, that Melinda (and Mike and Joe) are the *other* end of the spectrum compared to Landy and Murry.

I also don’t think there’s much of any dedicated fan who *doesn’t* understand that Melinda is instrumental in getting projects going (in many different ways).

The weirdness that has always surrounded Brian (and to a lesser degree this entire group), and the understanding of that weirdness, has always and must always work both ways. As fans, we can only surely understand the tip of the iceberg of the precarious nature of having to deal with the things these people have to deal with, things both in and out of their control.

At the same time, these people, whether Brian or those around him or the other band members and their associates, all have to understand how things appear to those on the outside. They also have to realize that for every time that a “fan” just doesn’t “truly understand” the “real story”, there may also be times when they are living in a vacuum created by fame and money and weirdness and ego and insulation, and maybe sometimes there is just weird, f-ed up stuff going on behind the scenes. Weird, f-ed up stuff goes on behind the scenes in the mundane lives of fans, so it happens with everybody. Sometimes, and I stress only sometimes, fame and money and all of that make those f-ed up things exponentially more f-ed up and weird.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:06 AM »

Melinda ain't Mother Teresa

This is true.

As far as we know Melinda hasn't played a huge role in spreading AIDS across Africa.

She also, to my knowledge doesn't leave people dying in corridors with no pain relief.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »

She also, to my knowledge doesn't leave people dying in corridors with no pain relief.

I'm guessing that falls to Mike and Bruce not doing M&G's after their shows? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »

There is some proof that Brian calls the shots at least part of the time with the fact that Joe Thomas was re-hired. Didn't Melinda sue Joe? Joe even sued her back. But Brian put Melinda in a corner by calling Joe back and wanting to use songs he wrote during the "Imagination" project, ones he specifically wanted for the Beach Boys. Joe has continued the relationship with Brian. I don't like Joe or his use of autotune, but apparently Brian does.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »

I'm guessing that falls to Mike and Bruce not doing M&G's after their shows?  

He referred to Mother Theresa who forced poor people to suffer to death.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »

Interesting.  I made a post, and some of what I wrote was reworded by I suppose a moderator, but there's no notation that it was edited.  I wonder how much of the comments we read on here have been rewritten?  It's like a conspiracy theory or something.  Craziness. 
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2014, 02:37:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure edits by the mods appear as "Last Edit: at (date) by (mod)" - the same as if you had edited but with the mods name listed.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:39:06 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:05 AM »

Interesting.  I made a post, and some of what I wrote was reworded by I suppose a moderator, but there's no notation that it was edited.  I wonder how much of the comments we read on here have been rewritten?  It's like a conspiracy theory or something.  Craziness. 

New automatic word filter? (certain words considered derogatory programmed to automatically be replaced by another word)?

Please delete my account
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 05:40:32 AM »

Looks like Jeff Beck has his next tour set. Tickets go on sale today for ZZ Top and Jeff Beck in Atlanta on Sept. 6th.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 07:19:22 AM »

Looks like Jeff Beck has his next tour set. Tickets go on sale today for ZZ Top and Jeff Beck in Atlanta on Sept. 6th.

Ive seen em both. never together though.

I think the ZZ crowd will dominate this show - Jeff better start growing his beard to blend in.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2014, 11:44:08 PM »

New automatic word filter? (certain words considered derogatory programmed to automatically be replaced by another word)?

I'd guess.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx