gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:56:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 182414 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »

Will the Jones Beach show even happen, now that Hurricane Arthur is spinning up the coast? Current predictions call for it to be offshore in the NYC/Long Island area on Saturday.

If the show gets rescheduled, that could open the door for Alan to attend after all.

While this specifically probably can't happen, I hope (or I should more accurately say I wish) they would get Al in with Mike and Bruce. Nothing to do with making a big hoopla over a show with Al being there (that would undoubtedly be a nice benefit as well), but to try to patch this BS up NOW instead of letting it fester like everything does with these guys.

Even if these guys continue to have some good longevity, they (nor again fans) have the time to have another decade-long estrangement.

I remember that article during C50 in Rolling Stone. The cover called it the "Fragile Beach Boys Reunion." While I would always agree there's some fragility to getting these guys all together, I thought back then they were using it a bit of hyperbole given how the band seemed to be getting along reasonably well and were if nothing else contractually locked into doing the tour. But I guess even if inadvertently, Rolling Stone was right. Maybe they thought the fragility had to do with classic rockstar crap with shouting matches back stage and hitting each other over the heads with guitars and whatnot. It would never have been that, but I wish somebody (in the band or outside) could have held this thing together with glue or tape or good intentions or bribes or whatever it would have taken, because "Beach Boys 60" with maybe only 3 or 4 band members instead of 5, and most of them literally in their 80's, just doesn't strike me as having the same potential.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 03, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »

The Professor just returned from 2 weeks in China and so is just catching up. Oregonsurfrider was right, and I was wrong: the Exodus from BW is not complete nor absolute; he is to get a taco on me. I can only shake my head over the trials of the band; nothing makes sense or provides pleasure to me except seeing them all together....

best to all,

Prof.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 03, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »

The Professor just returned from 2 weeks in China and so is just catching up. Oregonsurfrider was right, and I was wrong: the Exodus from BW is not complete nor absolute; he is to get a taco on me. I can only shake my head over the trials of the band; nothing makes sense or provides pleasure to me except seeing them all together....

best to all,

Prof.

Welccome back Professor!

Hey, I thought it was two tacos?  Wink

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: July 03, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »

Here's my observation, based on years of watching this musical trainwreck. You may or may not agree:

When you get the Boys together, say on the Tower roof a few years back, they get along just fine. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssstttttttt Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee. Start introducing the managers into the equation and things start going to hell on the Handbasket Express, because each manager* sees their clients interests as the primary concern. The band is secondary.

[* yeah, I know that in the main the managers are also the wives: no matter, the same would apply were they not spouses]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »

Al was at the Monty Python show last night. I wonder if the Pythons follow the Beach Boys shenanigans, for chuckles…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »

Here's my observation, based on years of watching this musical trainwreck. You may or may not agree:

When you get the Boys together, say on the Tower roof a few years back, they get along just fine. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssstttttttt Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee. Start introducing the managers into the equation and things start going to hell on the Handbasket Express, because each manager* sees their clients interests as the primary concern. The band is secondary.

[* yeah, I know that in the main the managers are also the wives: no matter, the same would apply were they not spouses]

Another reason why they should have had a Neil Aspinall-type 20 or 30 or 40 years ago. Probably too late now, if it was ever possible. It likely wouldn't work, but is it too late to get Jerry Schilling in there like Howie Edelson suggested to Mike? I'll answer my own question. Yes, yes it is probably.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

Al was at the Monty Python show last night. I wonder if the Pythons follow the Beach Boys shenanigans, for chuckles…

Wait, *this* wasn't a Monty Python sketch?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: July 04, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »

I'm not sure this is always the case. If they all had managers that had been in the industry and been managers for a long time before they knew the Beach Boys, they might have more professional experience to know when they need to see past their spouse's (and thus their own) immediate gratification and work with the other principals toward something that in the long run will be better for all of them.

I suppose their managers in some cases being a spouse isn't the core reason for problems, but if they all switched managers, things *might* be a bit different.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #883 on: July 04, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

That's close, but not quite high enough on the absurdity meter to be Python-esque. I think you mean this:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 04, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »

I'm not sure this is always the case. If they all had managers that had been in the industry and been managers for a long time before they knew the Beach Boys, they might have more professional experience to know when they need to see past their spouse's (and thus their own) immediate gratification and work with the other principals toward something that in the long run will be better for all of them.

I suppose their managers in some cases being a spouse isn't the core reason for problems, but if they all switched managers, things *might* be a bit different.

as in , having Jacqueline manage Brian and Melinda manage Mike?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: July 04, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »

That's close, but not quite high enough on the absurdity meter to be Python-esque. I think you mean this:

I would also nominate this:

http://youtu.be/rgKwVpcKqYw?t=2m26s
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:03:56 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: July 04, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »

as in , having Jacqueline manage Brian and Melinda manage Mike?

I think that is the one single reality show I would probably watch.  LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #887 on: July 04, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »

Holy cow.  Shocked

Let's look at Full House versus Baywatch for a minute. Full House looks like any scene you'd see in a family living room circa 1992...neighbors and friends drop by to "see the kids", the adults put out a plate of cheese-N-crackers and offer up come chilled Bartles And Jaymes wine coolers or bottles of Zima, and for the kids the new Crystal Pepsi and Ranch flavor Ruffles chips. They drink, converse, and pretty soon the musicians and soap actors in the group agree to sing one "like the old days" and fun ensues.

Kind of normal for the time and place.

But Baywatch...let's look at how these men look carrying that board in the sand.

Mike looks like the treasurer of Suburbia High's class Of 1993, who just got outfitted at the local mall during the annual back-to-school sale at The Gap.

Carl looks like he simply said "No." when the wardrobe department offered him a "fun, light summer-y look" for the video shoot.

Brian looks like he also turned down the beach-summer wardrobe like Carl, opting for the all-black look, but may have said as he was leaving the dressing trailer "Hey wait, maybe I will take that pair of Chuck Taylors..."

Al wearing the official Baywatch crew windbreaker looks like one of the union stagehands waiting to tear down the set after the day's shoot, minus the styrofoam cup of coffee and a smoke.

Bruce looks like he got pulled aside by David Hasselhoff that day, who offered to share "whatever I have in my closet" with him for the filming after they started talking about working with Barry Manilow and Jack Jones, and discussing plans for Bruce to produce a few songs for Hasselhoff's upcoming "Tribute To Berlin" release. Unfortunately he ended up looking as Al did, like one of the crew.

In all cases, none of them look like they're ready to hit the surf.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 04, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »

Carl looks like he simply said "No." when the wardrobe department offered him a "fun, light summer-y look" for the video shoot.

And the black suit hides the back brace better than an aloha shirt does. Just sayin'.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #889 on: July 04, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »

And the black suit hides the back brace better than an aloha shirt does. Just sayin'.

Are you serious? Just sayin' in return, so much for trying to put some humor into the mix.

Edited out what I really should have said.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:39:50 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 04, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »

Are you serious? Just sayin' in return, so much for trying to put some humor into the mix.

Edited out what I really should have said.

Why would Brian have a back brace? To give him the strength to be in a pic with the rest of the guys?   Just sayin'

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 04, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »

The Music Video TV era was a difficult time for 'legacy' performers. Dylan, Macca etc. pretty much mailed it in and tried to fit into a changing climate. It wasn't until much later that most of 'em said @#$% it and tapped into their muse and did worthwhile work. It's called the freedom of not giving a @#$%.

Your 40's/50's can be a bitch. 60's...not so much.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: July 04, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »

The Music Video TV era was a difficult time for 'legacy' performers. Dylan, Macca etc. pretty much mailed it in and tried to fit into a changing climate. It wasn't until much later that most of 'em said @#$% it and tapped into their muse and did worthwhile work. It's called the freedom of not giving a @#$%.

Maybe the "Altamont" moment that put a symbolic end to that era (perhaps too late) was when Dylan's awards-show performance got crashed and interrupted by the dancer "Soy Bomb", and instead of making a scene or even missing a beat, Dylan glanced over and smiled, and kept on singing.

That defined not giving a sh*t. Oh to have more of those "incidents" at awards shows... Grin

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »

Didn't Macca spend most of the 80's and early 90's in those horrid sweaters?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 04, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »

Maybe the "Altamont" moment that put a symbolic end to that era (perhaps too late) was when Dylan's awards-show performance got crashed and interrupted by the dancer "Soy Bomb", and instead of making a scene or even missing a beat, Dylan glanced over and smiled, and kept on singing.

That defined not giving a sh*t. Oh to have more of those "incidents" at awards shows... Grin

Yeah, and that was when Bob started looking sharp and cool again wearing either nice suits or his cowboy-pimp gear instead of those silly clown pants of the early 90's...... From Time Out Of Mind onward he started looking again like the guy on the cover of Highway 61 only older. It was like "Hey, I wondered where that guy had been"
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 04, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »

All joking aside, Carl was wearing a back brace regularly in the mid-to-late '90s. He was having a lot of trouble with his back at the time. Brian, when he developed similar issues with his back in 2012, was able to take advantage of far more advanced and less-invasive back surgery techniques than what was available in the '90s.

Sorry if it sounded like I was making fun of either of the brothers before -- that was not intended.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:05:57 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 04, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

Holy cow.  Shocked

Let's look at Full House versus Baywatch for a minute. Full House looks like any scene you'd see in a family living room circa 1992...neighbors and friends drop by to "see the kids", the adults put out a plate of cheese-N-crackers and offer up come chilled Bartles And Jaymes wine coolers or bottles of Zima, and for the kids the new Crystal Pepsi and Ranch flavor Ruffles chips. They drink, converse, and pretty soon the musicians and soap actors in the group agree to sing one "like the old days" and fun ensues.

Kind of normal for the time and place.

But Baywatch...let's look at how these men look carrying that board in the sand.

Mike looks like the treasurer of Suburbia High's class Of 1993, who just got outfitted at the local mall during the annual back-to-school sale at The Gap.

Brian looks like he also turned down the beach-summer wardrobe like Carl, opting for the all-black look, but may have said as he was leaving the dressing trailer "Hey wait, maybe I will take that pair of Chuck Taylors..."

Al wearing the official Baywatch crew windbreaker looks like one of the union stagehands waiting to tear down the set after the day's shoot, minus the styrofoam cup of coffee and a smoke.

Bruce looks like he got pulled aside by David Hasselhoff that day, who offered to share "whatever I have in my closet" with him for the filming after they started talking about working with Barry Manilow and Jack Jones, and discussing plans for Bruce to produce a few songs for Hasselhoff's upcoming "Tribute To Berlin" release. Unfortunately he ended up looking as Al did, like one of the crew.

In all cases, none of them look like they're ready to hit the surf.  Smiley

hilarious
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 05, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »

After watching an area weathercast, it looks like the storm will be clear of the area by Saturday evening, so NEVERMIND....

I certainly hope the weather will be cleared up in time! I'm traveling 4 hours down the road, and Al or no Al, I'm really pumped up for this show!

And that's the important thing - have a great time!

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 21, 2016, 01:37:40 AM »

...not to stir up any old battles, but I've mostly been gone for a few years and didn't know about this until I saw this epic thread.  Did anybody ever figure out what really happened here, or is it just an enduring mystery?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: March 21, 2016, 03:38:25 AM »

Incoming...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx