gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:26:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which version of Big Sur do you prefer?  (Read 15157 times)
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »

I've recently been listening to the Landlocked version of Big Sur. I love it and prefer it to the Holland version, which is also very good. Which one do y'all prefer?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »

ooooh! I like both actually.............but if I had to pick?

Landlocked!

RickB
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »

It's like much of their live material which was revamped in a grittier style (especially Help Me Rhonda) and the two versions are very distinct and both would work well on different albums. The Landlocked version fo Big Sur wouldn't fit on Holland however that does not mean it is inferior to the released version.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »

It's like much of their live material which was revamped in a grittier style (especially Help Me Rhonda) and the two versions are very distinct and both would work well on different albums. The Landlocked version fo Big Sur wouldn't fit on Holland however that does not mean it is inferior to the released version.

Landlocked version is way awesome, but loses a point or two for being just a bit too repetitive for my tastes.

Would be fascinating to learn more about details of the arrangement/musicians for this version.

I still slightly prefer it though, but not to knock the Holland version (which rules too).
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

4/4... the waltz is too bland
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

Holland version. I like the production better.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »

Holland hands down for me. The early version is kinda boring. Plus I always consider the California Saga as one piece, even editing it to one track. I always listen to them together and it is my favorite Holland song(s) along with the bonus Fairy Tale. :-)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »

They're both very good.  When the 4/4 was first booted with other early 70's tracks back in the 80's, I played it a lot. It's been on my "released want list" for many, many years. It's been on a LOT of fans' wish lists through the years. To me, the omission of this version of 'Big Sur' is probably my biggest gripe about the Made In California box (and there aren't too many). I think Mike Love is responsible for holding it up all these years. I can't see Al rejecting it. I can't figure out why they don't put it out there - it's a great Mike vocal, the music is great, and the recording itself is of excellent quality.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »

They're both very good.  When the 4/4 was first booted with other early 70's tracks back in the 80's, I played it a lot. It's been on my "released want list" for many, many years. It's been on a LOT of fans' wish lists through the years. To me, the omission of this version of 'Big Sur' is probably my biggest gripe about the Made In California box (and there aren't too many). I think Mike Love is responsible for holding it up all these years. I can't see Al rejecting it. I can't figure out why they don't put it out there - it's a great Mike vocal, the music is great, and the recording itself is of excellent quality.

Makes zero sense, right?

Big Sur is generally regarded as Mike's finest hour by BB fans, and the Landlocked version has long been regarded as a gem by those who've heard it. Or at least a gem in quality terms of unreleased BB tunes.

It's omission is indeed probably the most baffling thing about MIC's track list.

Could Mike somehow not like it, and feel some sort of odd misplaced embarrassment, in the way that Brian didn't like the (widely regarded as awesome) Let Him Run Wild? If that's in any way the case, I can't see why though. We want answers!

The only thing that makes sense to me, is if the band held it back for some sort of future Deluxe Holland release... since if any non Pet Sounds albums could get a Deluxe treatment at some point, Holland and Sunflower would probably be the most likely.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:47:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »

They're both very good.  When the 4/4 was first booted with other early 70's tracks back in the 80's, I played it a lot. It's been on my "released want list" for many, many years. It's been on a LOT of fans' wish lists through the years. To me, the omission of this version of 'Big Sur' is probably my biggest gripe about the Made In California box (and there aren't too many). I think Mike Love is responsible for holding it up all these years. I can't see Al rejecting it. I can't figure out why they don't put it out there - it's a great Mike vocal, the music is great, and the recording itself is of excellent quality.

Absolutely. Would love to know why this wasn`t included...
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »

Prefer the Landlocked version by a huge margin.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »

The Landlocked version is nice but too busy. It works far better on Holland, stripped back with the humming and occasional harmonica.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »

Yep, count me in as part of the majority.

I was shocked at how much I liked the Landlocked version, I really don't care for the Holland version!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »

4/4... the waltz is too bland
Sounds like waltz indeed, but it might be false. I read somewhere that some compositions have waltzy structures/timing but I forget what was the name for that case in music.
Answer to the original post: Big Sur Holland. 4/4 is good, only not enough cool (for me). Like Mr. Deprived said, it kinda meanders with no changes. At least in the Holland version we've got harmonica.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »

Easily the Holland version for me. I never understood why most people prefer the 4/4 version.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »

Holland version. The lyrics just don't suit the 4/4 version. They should've written a new song using that backing track.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »

Big Sur is generally regarded as Mike's finest hour by BB fans...

Not this fan* - the decision to pare it back to campfire basics to fit with the rest of the "California Saga" suite was 100% correct. The so-called Landlocked version is way too lush.

[* - since you asked... "Let The Wind Blow"... "All I Wanna Do"... "Viggie" (the ocarina mix)... "Kiss Me, Baby"]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:05:23 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:48 AM »

Landlocked version x17 billion. That is one of my favorite Beach Boys recordings, it has such an amazing feel. Those backing vocals are top notch. I wish they had done more stuff with the drum machine. It's okay that it's repetitive because it's sublime, so what's so bad about repeating a great thing? I think the backing track fits the lyrics just fine. The Holland version, on the other hand, reminds me of Bob Dylan and i have no tolerance for Bob Dylan.

Please, to the powers that be, release the original version of Big Sur.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 12:32:56 AM »

Not this fan* - the decision to pare it back to campfire basics to fit with the rest of the "California Saga" suite was 100% correct. The so-called Landlocked version is way too lush.

[* - since you asked... "Let The Wind Blow"... "All I Wanna Do"... "Viggie" (the ocarina mix)... "Kiss Me, Baby"]

This.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »

The so-called Landlocked version is dreamy, other-worldly.

But the Holland version nails it. It's earthier, more elemental. And more vibrant.

Hat said I do hope the unreleased version sees the light of day eventually as it's sufficiently good in its own right. I wonder if part of its attraction is the very fact that it remains unreleased so there's a kudos factor in having heard it at all and being able to sing its praises.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:10:13 AM »

Landlocked version, hands down.  Love the background vocals.  It's just gorgeous. 

My theory- check out the faint sound of crickets at the end of the song.  I think this is how it was supposed to end, with the sound of crickets fading off at the end.  The boot version leaves all the faders up, so you hear the take break down, with other extraneous noise.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:41:48 AM »

I like them both but the Holland version is the one I first loved. So great right after Steamboat.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 01:56:32 AM »

I'd actually completely agree with you on most of those. But I've only ever heard just one mix of Viggie, and I can't say I loved it (not sure which mix it was).

I guess when I meant Mike's finest hour, I meant in terms of BB tunes that were credited just to Mike (of which there are only a small handful methinks).

But yeah - someone needs to ask Mike why the original Big Sur wasn't on MIC.
Maybe he doesn't know that it's as highly regarded a song as it actually is by fans?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:57:24 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »

I love the lushness of the Landlocked version. I'm generally infatuated with the collection of recordings commonly referred to as Landlocked. "Big Sur" is one of its highlights, right after "Lady". Count me in with those who think "Big Sur" is Mike's finest moment, but that goes for the Holland version too, it's my favorite track on Holland. Still if I had to choose one version and never hear the other one again, I'd keep the Landlocked version.

I think Mike Love is responsible for holding it up all these years.

What makes you think so???

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »

The Holland version never made an impression on me. I think it's a boring song.

The 4/4 version, however, is amazing, def in my top 10 favorite unreleased tracks. I prefer it 100% to Holland Big Sur.

I think Mike Love is responsible for holding it up all these years.

Curious about this as well. It's a great song, sung very well. You'd think Mike would want to release it to show his songwriting strength instead of whatever 'new' stuff he has planned to release.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx