-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Poll thread nightmare
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll thread nightmare  (Read 34279 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. Some say adamantly that the polls should go, some say they should stay. Some are indifferent. What doesn't change is people's stances. All these pages going back and forth debating about this issue seem MUCH more useless and irrelevant than any other thread. What's more conducive to "General On Topic Discussions": a poll thread about Beach Boys music, or a thread about how bothersome polls are? I vote to lock this thread. My 2 cents.

This.

Those who dislike Polls should just ignore them instead of bitching about them. Not everyone agrees with them, and they should just get over it.

I love Polls, as do you Eric and many others. And the Polls are just as much a part of the Smiley Smile Message Board as the Discussions. Take away either the Polls or the Discussion and this forum is doomed. Neither are replaceable, they're both irreplaceable.

If you don't like it, either ignore it or leave instead of making pointless whining threads like this, which BTW should be locked by now!

AHA!!  The future of the poll threads.
Lock the thread  at the same time it's started. Perfect solution

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »

No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. Some say adamantly that the polls should go, some say they should stay. Some are indifferent. What doesn't change is people's stances. All these pages going back and forth debating about this issue seem MUCH more useless and irrelevant than any other thread. What's more conducive to "General On Topic Discussions": a poll thread about Beach Boys music, or a thread about how bothersome polls are? I vote to lock this thread. My 2 cents.

This.

Those who dislike Polls should just ignore them instead of bitching about them. Not everyone agrees with them, and they should just get over it.

I love Polls, as do you Eric and many others. And the Polls are just as much a part of the Smiley Smile Message Board as the Discussions. Take away either the Polls or the Discussion and this forum is doomed. Neither are replaceable, they're both irreplaceable.

If you don't like it, either ignore it or leave instead of making pointless whining threads like this, which BTW should be locked by now!

Actually, I think this thread has started an interesting discussion about possible interface improvements that would benefit everybody who uses this board. Even pixletwin is onboard for creating a poll-specific section on Smiley Smile.

And, if this thread is that upsetting to you, follow your own advice:

If you don't like it, either ignore it or leave

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »

The best solution for me would be for an option to be implemented that would allow users to 'turn off' threads, and stopping them from updating and appearing on your recent posts section, or as recently updated threads. That way, if you don't want to see a poll thread, all you need to do is turn it off and it won't appear anymore.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »

Without trying to be ironic, surely the fairest way to decide this is to add a poll to the thread?!

Option 1: Keep the polls & lists in General On Topic Discussions
Option 2: Create a designated Polls and lists sub-forum
Option 3: Keep Polls in General but implement a 'Hide bothersome threads' function
Option 4: Move Polls to sub-forum AND implement a 'Hide bothersome threads' function

Then the mods can quickly see what the consensus is and choose to act or not.

Otherwise it just a lot of vague moaning back and forth with no clear majority opinion either way.

Dr Lenny: The power is in your hands. Go on, do it - Add a poll to your anti poll thread!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:58:08 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »

I have nothing against polls as such. That said, I tried a couple of the Survivors but found it painful going, having to cross off songs I love, songs written, sung and played by musicians I respect.

A more positive approach, to my mind at least, would be to come from the opposite angle---i.e.,  starting with the least-liked track on the album in question, moving on the second least-liked track but adding rather than subtracting, the last track added (by default) being the winner.

Just a thought...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

I personally don't find anything interesting about reading or participating in the polls, or most of the other threads I've seen here over the last few months.

But the poll threads are just an example of the board offering very little meaningful dialog these days in my opinion.

The folks mentioning the 'signal to noise' I think are onto something. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most readers would agree that Steve Desper recounting a story about a Beach Boys recording session is more 'valuable' than a random Beach Boys fan indicating that they like 'Surfin USA' more than 'Pet Sounds'. And I also don't think it's unreasonable to say that most of the content on this board falls somewhere between these two extremes. That is not to say there is no place for the other stuff, I just think the way the current format is being used threatens the relevance of the board.

So yes, I agree the S/N ratio is really bad these days.

Who cares? Well, we all should I think. When the board is mostly filled with 'noise' (for lack of a better term) posts, then it changes the 'culture', and I think it's obvious that a downhill trend is already in full force. I think the problem here is that many of the 'high signal' posters have either left or stopped posting.

My vote is for a 'serious discussion' sub-forum which is heavily monitored. And the main board can be called 'light discussions' or something, because that's what it is primarily.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:06:00 PM by DonnyL » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

I personally don't find anything interesting about reading or participating in the polls, or most of the other threads I've seen here over the last few months.

But the poll threads are just an example of the board offering very little meaningful dialog these days in my opinion.

The folks mentioning the 'signal to noise' I think are onto something. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most readers would agree that Steve Desper recounting a story about a Beach Boys recording session is more 'valuable' than a random Beach Boys fan indicating that they like 'Surfin USA' more than 'Pet Sounds'. And I also don't think it's a stretch to say that most of the content on this board falls somewhere between these two extremes. That is not to say there is no place for the other stuff, I just think the way the current format is being used threatens the relevance of the board.

So yes, I agree the S/N ratio is really bad these days.

Who cares? Well, we all should I think. When the board is mostly filled with 'noise' (for lack of a better term) posts, then it changes the 'culture', and I think it's obvious that a downhill trend is already in full force. I think the problem here is that many of the 'high signal' posters have either left or stopped posting.

My vote is for a 'serious discussion' sub-forum which is heavily monitored. And the main board can be called 'light discussions' or something, because that's what it is primarily.

You make a good point about the dumbing down chasing away valued posters. I had not considered this aspect. I don't know if separate serious and light discussion sections is a practical solution though. How easy would that be to differentiate? I wonder if it might just cause confusion. Also I think general on topic discussions has always been a mixture of serious and light topics - it's a healthy balance that gives the board character. The eggheads and insiders rub shoulders with the more casual fans and nobody's allowed to take themselves too seriously.

I'm increasingly sold on a sub forum for polls and 'list your favourite' threads. Or if that's too much hassle for the mods could those threads exist in the sandbox?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

This.

I'm not going to dignify that with a proper response
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

This.

I'm not going to dignify that with a proper response
That's Ok, you've given no proper responses yet

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »

Okay, yeah, maybe this is getting out of hand.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »

+1

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »

that photo is form shagtree.com - what the hell is a shagtree?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »

Nahhhh. See man, we need these poll threads so we know that 20/20 is the best Beach Boys album everrrr.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:38:48 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »

ShagTree is a fun way to view the hookups of your favorite celebrities including who they're dating now and all the juicy details.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »

ShagTree is a fun way to view the hookups of your favorite celebrities including who they're dating now and all the juicy details.

also STDs
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »

I didn't know that Mr. Waves has trollish tendencies. Re-opening this thread did by no means any benefit to the main board, it's off-top, off-top & again off-top. There can be people, you know, who didn't get to vote for their favorite 2-fer. What is bad about it? Why then we discount Survivor threads & don't say "maybe it's getting out of hand"? That's unfair, don't you think so?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »

As of now I'm in agreement that Polls should have their own section in the forum.

I think it's the best solution for all parties involved.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »

I didn't know that Mr. Waves has trollish tendencies. Re-opening this thread did by no means any benefit to the main board, it's off-top, off-top & again off-top. There can be people, you know, who didn't get to vote for their favorite 2-fer. What is bad about it? Why then we discount Survivor threads & don't say "maybe it's getting out of hand"? That's unfair, don't you think so?

Well, first of all you're the one who made the distinction between the 2-fer voting and the Survivor rounds, not me. So, don't put that on me.
Secondly, this on more on topic than ever. I'm not pointing any fingers or blaming anyone, but there is seriously sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many poll threads. It's obviously due to a lack of any worthwhile news lately, but it's just gotten to be a bit too much lately. It's been all frosting and no filling.

I just want something to talk aboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooout.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »

Well, first of all you're the one who made the distinction between the 2-fer voting and the Survivor rounds, not me. So, don't put that on me.
Secondly, this on more on topic than ever. I'm not pointing any fingers or blaming anyone, but there is seriously sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many poll threads. It's obviously due to a lack of any worthwhile news lately, but it's just gotten to be a bit too much lately. It's been all frosting and no filling.

I just want something to talk aboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooout.

But I want you to know which album is my favoritist!!!!!!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

but there is seriously sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many poll threads.
There are currently only 3 poll thingies. It equals to "soooooooooooooooooo many", really? Same amount as the Survivor rounds, yet no one said it's getting out of hand? That's double standard if I ever saw one.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »

but there is seriously sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many poll threads.
There are currently only 3 poll thingies. It equals to "soooooooooooooooooo many", really? Same amount as the Survivor rounds, yet no one said it's getting out of hand? That's double standard if I ever saw one.

Both are included. This is not thread bigotry.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2014, 03:11:23 AM »

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many poll threads. It's obviously due to a lack of any worthwhile news lately, but it's just gotten to be a bit too much lately. It's been all frosting and no filling.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, then dazzle us with some great thread topics to get the conversational juices a-flooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowin', Bubbly-Boy

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »

The best solution for me would be for an option to be implemented that would allow users to 'turn off' threads, and stopping them from updating and appearing on your recent posts section, or as recently updated threads. That way, if you don't want to see a poll thread, all you need to do is turn it off and it won't appear anymore.

Maybe there could be a way for posters to vote the thread off the Island??

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: