-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Poll thread nightmare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll thread nightmare  (Read 34280 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »

A lot or alot?... Undecided
Second chuckle of the day.  Eric's right, if members post where they were originally set up - The Album, Book and Video Reviews and Discussions Threads, nobody goes there much.  More attention to be had in The General On Topic Threads.
So if our other honored members get their way...It's Fun, Fun, Fun - Until Daddy takes the T-Bird away.
It's up to the boss in the end, like the ignore button.  Or, we can create more Threads like this one to discuss the problem and maybe work out something to satisfy everybody.  Best we can.
And Rei, sorry I got the Thread wrong.  Was it the Petition Thread you locked?  Oh, another can of worms.  Another sink-hole.  Let's create a Thread for that.    peace,  Will
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:13:23 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

A lot or alot?... Undecided
Second chuckle of the day.  Eric's right, if members post where they were originally set up - The Album, Book and Video Reviews and Discussions Threads, nobody goes there much.  More attention to be had in The General On Topic Threads.
So if our other honored members get their way...It's Fun, Fun, Fun - Until Daddy takes the T-Bird away.
It's up to the boss in the end, like the ignore button.  Or, we can create more Threads like this one to discuss the problem and maybe work out something to satisfy everybody.  Best we can.
And Rei, sorry I got the Thread wrong.  Was it the Petition Thread you locked?  Oh, another can of worms.  Another sink-hole.  Let's create a Thread for that.    peace,  Will

Don't worry about it Smiley We all make mistakes.

I locked the Petition thread because it was geting out of hand, and Jess and I just plain had enough of being blamed for the hacking, especially when I was only trying to help the victims. Plus some members just can't make up their minds, first accusing me of trying to delete the petition to "cover my tracks" and then saying just delete the damn thing already and Saying I was reluctant to delete it!

Oh well. This mess is coming to an end anyway, already sent an email requesting to delete it. Just have to wait a bit until it goes. Then we can finally move on!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »

There is one thing that does bother me about this.  The ones that end with "I haven't heard that record yet."  Well why not?  Easy (and free) to do.  You are posting on a Beach Boys Board.  Makes sense to listen to what you want to discuss[/b].  But screw it, let the kids have fun.  This is Everybody's Place.  Fun, Fun, Fun...[/left]
Hear Hear!
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the hearing stuff. Granted, there's lesser known songs like Problem Child or a Chasin' the Sky or even Almost Summer...but for the most part, you can find that stuff on youtube or the like. Or even in my situation, where I haven't had the money to buy the MIC boxset...but I've still made efforts on Spotify and YT to hear the newer unreleased stuff, maybe not as much as I'd like to listen to it, but I've still heard it all more than once.

For pete's sake, the Beach Boys' catalog is massive.  Must new members feel like they need to know it all before they can contribute to the discussion of a bunch of know-it-alls?  (Seriously, I don't think some of us realize how "niche" this subculture is that we immerse ourselves in lol.)

This forum will die out if "elitist-fans" don't make room for and welcome new "sub-fans"--and that includes their "nightmare" polls and repeat-posts.  Honestly, skip the polls if they so cramp your style.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:32:39 PM by ThyRavenAscend » Logged

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »

We should have a poll asking how many people use "a lot" or "alot".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »

My vote goes to "A Lot"  LOL
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »

Here's an idea that's occurred to me recently as I've watched all these polls overrun the board:

How about creating a Child Board devoted strictly to polls and moving all of them there? Then, the people who love responding to polls can go there and do what they love without becoming a nuisance to those of us who are looking for the more discussion-oriented threads. What do you say, mods?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 12:34:03 AM »

No need for a poll. 'Alot' is wrong. 'A lot' is right. It'd be like arguing over whether you say 'Iown acar' or 'I own a car' - there's no debate, one's wrong and one's right.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 01:24:45 AM »

All these poll threads is why I rarely come here anymore.

It's great, I now have a life.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »

All these poll threads is why I rarely come here anymore.

It's great, I now have a life.

Wow that explains a lot. You used to post around here a lot, but I've noticed you've almost never been around lately.

Really miss your contributions, would love to see you come here more often again!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »

Yes. I now post over at a Vivaldi forum. Seems no one can mention Vivaldi without comparing him to Bach (who's not quite a overrated as the Beatles, but it's close). Of course for the truly cool Baroque music fan like yours truly, it's Vivaldi all the way. Great forum. Bit of  a problem with all the Boccherini hate threads, but we're working through it.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:17:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »

There is. It was originally a Bach forum, but the Vivaldi fanboys took over by spamming until the Bachmen left.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »

No need for a poll. 'Alot' is wrong. 'A lot' is right. It'd be like arguing over whether you say 'Iown acar' or 'I own a car' - there's no debate, one's wrong and one's right.

I was, of course, being comical.  "Alot" is actually a pet peeve of mine, much like people who use the word "to" to mean "excessive".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

Yes. I now post over at a Vivaldi forum. Seems no one can mention Vivaldi without comparing him to Bach (who's not quite a overrated as the Beatles, but it's close). Of course for the truly cool Baroque music fan like yours truly, it's Vivaldi all the way. Great forum. Bit of  a problem with all the Boccherini hate threads, but we're working through it.

True dat. I post at the Vivaldi forum too, albeit with a different moniker. Don't want them over there to know that I obsess over things like 'Ding Dang', or the relationship between Wittgenstein's Tractatus and the wilful self-parody that is Summer In Paradise on an alarmingly frequent basis.

That said, the Red Priest seems to have had some sort of mental collapse in the year 1803 A.D. - he had to cancel the publishing of the sheet music for his intended magnum opus, tentatively called Sorriso. A couple of years later a whole cottage industry emerged, with ardent followers of the composer giving it their best in reconstructing Sorriso, solely from illegally copied fragments of what Vivaldi had carelessly thown away, forgotten, left behind, whatever. Notorious were the many who in the middle of the night rummaged through the garbage bin that was standing beside the artist's little house.

Strange, eh? You don't hear stories like this any more.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:04:30 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Chiming in as somebody would like to see the endless polls put in their own section/sub-board.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

yes, of course, this is alot of the reason it's so difficult to evolve the English language: alot of the young punks on dope who cling to the old ways in the face of alot of insurmountable evidence alot of the world is swinging away from them towards the broad vistas of a alot of new experiences. Of course alot of you may try alot of arguments for alot of rights and alot of wrongs, but you'll simply be wasting alot of your time as alot of the new world is chacnging to alot of new uses for alot

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »

yes, of course, this is alot of the reason it's so difficult to evolve the English language: alot of the young punks on dope who cling to the old ways in the face of alot of insurmountable evidence alot of the world is swinging away from them towards the broad vistas of a alot of new experiences. Of course alot of you may try alot of arguments for alot of rights and alot of wrongs, but you'll simply be wasting alot of your time as alot of the new world is chacnging to alot of new uses for alot

Wow...
Maybe it's because it's the proper way. Disney Boy is 100% correct!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with Disney Boy and Eric in terms of the polls. I've always been a poll person, it's always greatly appealed to me.

Though at the same time I can see people not liking it as much. Once again it's subjective.

And this forum wouldn't be the same without the polls. It's one big thing I love about here!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »

Wow...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with Disney Boy and Eric in terms of the polls. I've always been a poll person, it's always greatly appealed to me.

Though at the same time I can see people not liking it as much. Once again it's subjective.

And this forum wouldn't be the same without the polls. It's one big thing I love about here!

well, of course. As I noted, alot of  the young punks think that way; you're just one in a crowd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the polls, always is such a short time when you're ten

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »

Wow...

well, of course. As I noted, alot of  the young punks think that way; you're just one in a crowd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the polls, always is such a short time when you're ten

Yeah, I'm 15. Less than a year away from a learner's permit for driving a car.

But thanks for paying attention!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »

Right then, polls.  And a lot of them.  It's our lot in life.  Don't want to offend our new "sub-fans" (and let's be honest, some of the oldster fans) who seemingly like only half the catalogue, and hate the rest with a vengeance.  They need a place to come to to let the world know how much they hate that "Surfin' Crap" - a lot.  I just like the car songs and the one's about babes.  The Four Freshmen are a bunch of old dead guys.  So 50's, My great granpa liked them - but I don't.  I don't have the time to get through such a massive catalogue.  That would take what?  A week or two, a month?  I don't like songs about Amusement Parks, roller rinks, circus melodies and clowns - or balloons!  Got that?  A ballad here-n-there, but No Rockers!  Don't wanna Dance Dance Dance.  Pet Sounds - yeah, I like a couple of those, if I'm in the right mood.  Brian quit on them after "Good Vibrations" though.  Blew his mind, said he only wanted to do instrumentals.  I don't like those at all, it's the Beach Boys - Got to have vocals.  But I do like backing tracks - go figure.  I like the organ sound they got on Smiley Smile, but that's it.  I won't shell out bucks on a bunch of stoners.  The late 60's...I've read even the fan's didn't like that era.  They hung out with a murderer you know.  I like Sunflower, but that one about a bird at the window blows.  I like the In Concert album, but not the records they made with Blondie and Ricky - except Holland.  Brian was set up on the stage in 1976 as a prop.  Glad that didn't last too long.  The late 70's?  Boy were those Beach Boys spent by then.  The 80's - oh I hate anything after 1979.  What happened to Mike, Brian and Denny?  Most of their vocals make me cringe.  I've heard Adult/Child.  Sounds like Sinatra and it sucks.  I like the Moog on Love You, but then they lost it til 2012.  I don't hear any auto-tune.  That's just how they sound.  I (me) don't even want to touch upon what has been said about the Mike and Bruce shows or way too many of the "Out-side"/Solo Projects.
I am not an elitist-fan, I am a Beach Boys fan.  I am not better than you cause I got to grow up with them.  It was however a different experience.  I don't care if you do polls til you're blue.  But you should take the time to listen to their music.  And hopefully like it more than I've been reading lately.  They are a much better band than many around here give them credit for.  That is my opinion, but in the end - respect your right to yours.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I Love All The Beach Boys.  I'm here to post about that love.      peace,   Will
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:22:15 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »

Right then, polls.  And a lot of them.  It's our lot in life.  Don't want to offend our new "sub-fans" (and let's be honest, some of the oldster fans) who seemingly like only half the catalogue, and hate the rest with a vengeance.  They need a place to come to to let the world know how much they hate that "Surfin' Crap" - a lot.  I just like the car songs and the one's about babes.  The Four Freshmen are a bunch of old dead guys.  So 50's, My great granpa liked them - but I don't.  I don't have the time to get through such a massive catalogue.  That would take what?  A week or two, a month?  I don't like songs about Amusement Parks, roller rinks, circus melodies and clowns - or balloons!  Got that?  A ballad here-n-there, but No Rockers!  Don't wanna Dance Dance Dance.  Pet Sounds - yeah, I like a couple of those, if I'm in the right mood.  Brian quit on them after "Good Vibrations" though.  Blew his mind, said he only wanted to do instrumentals.  I don't like those at all, it's the Beach Boys - Got to have vocals.  But I do like backing tracks - go figure.  I like the organ sound they got on Smiley Smile, but that's it.  I won't shell out bucks on a bunch of stoners.  The late 60's...I've read even the fan's didn't like that era.  They hung out with a murderer you know.  I like Sunflower, but that one about a bird at the window blows.  I like the In Concert album, but not the records they made with Blondie and Ricky - except Holland.  Brian was set up on the stage in 1976 as a prop.  Glad that didn't last too long.  The late 70's?  Boy were those Beach Boys spent by then.  The 80's - oh I hate anything after 1979.  What happened to Mike, Brian and Denny?  Most of their vocals make me cringe.  I've heard Adult/Child.  Sounds like Sinatra and it sucks.  I like the Moog on Love You, but then they lost it til 2012.  I don't hear any auto-tune.  That's just how they sound.  I (me) don't even want to touch upon what has been said about the Mike and Bruce shows or way too many of the "Out-side"/Solo Projects.
I am not an elitist-fan, I am a Beach Boys fan.  I am not better than you cause I got to grow up with them.  It was however a different experience.  I don't care if you do polls til you're blue.  But you should take the time to listen to their music.  And hopefully like it more than I've been reading lately.  They are a much better band than many around here give them credit for.  That is my opinion, but in the end - respect your right to yours.
I Love All The Beach Boys.  I'm here to post about that love.      peace,   Will

I agree that if "sub-fans", as we've now labeled them lol, want to contribute meaningfully to this forum, they should probably have real familiarity with what they're chiming in on.  My excuse for not having listen to all of the Beach Boys' records (I've still got a few live albums, SIP, Cruisin, Party, and that 'Merica one to get through) is that I listen to them  s l o w l y.  As a younger fan (24 y/o) who didn't grow up with the Beach Boys, I wanted to digest to their entire catalog as I became a fan--but I wanted to digest it slowly.  So I never listened to a "new" Beach Boys LP more than once a month.  And because I wanted The SMiLE Sessions to be the "finale" LP (not counting the weird albums above), I waited nearly two years to listen to it after it came out!  (It was entirely worth the wait, btw.)  I wouldn't doubt if some other newer-ish fans just like to jam Friends for months before moving onto 20/20 (rather than, say, zipping through Friends to M.I.U. in an afternoon).  I know that I've really enjoyed drawing out my Beach Boys' LP first-impressions.

Not sure if I've wandered off into a tangent, but I just wanted to throw out the possibility that maybe these sub-fans haven't YouTubed every rarity and SIP because they care about the music and just don't like to "get it over with".  And if these sub-fans simply haven't listened to the ole' surfin' n' car songs because they're "hokey", then maybe we can encourage them to see how rad many of those songs/albums really are.  Smiley  Is that fair?

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

Right then, polls.  And a lot of them.  It's our lot in life.  Don't want to offend our new "sub-fans" (and let's be honest, some of the oldster fans) who seemingly like only half the catalogue, and hate the rest with a vengeance.  They need a place to come to to let the world know how much they hate that "Surfin' Crap" - a lot.  I just like the car songs and the one's about babes.  The Four Freshmen are a bunch of old dead guys.  So 50's, My great granpa liked them - but I don't.  I don't have the time to get through such a massive catalogue.  That would take what?  A week or two, a month?  I don't like songs about Amusement Parks, roller rinks, circus melodies and clowns - or balloons!  Got that?  A ballad here-n-there, but No Rockers!  Don't wanna Dance Dance Dance.  Pet Sounds - yeah, I like a couple of those, if I'm in the right mood.  Brian quit on them after "Good Vibrations" though.  Blew his mind, said he only wanted to do instrumentals.  I don't like those at all, it's the Beach Boys - Got to have vocals.  But I do like backing tracks - go figure.  I like the organ sound they got on Smiley Smile, but that's it.  I won't shell out bucks on a bunch of stoners.  The late 60's...I've read even the fan's didn't like that era.  They hung out with a murderer you know.  I like Sunflower, but that one about a bird at the window blows.  I like the In Concert album, but not the records they made with Blondie and Ricky - except Holland.  Brian was set up on the stage in 1976 as a prop.  Glad that didn't last too long.  The late 70's?  Boy were those Beach Boys spent by then.  The 80's - oh I hate anything after 1979.  What happened to Mike, Brian and Denny?  Most of their vocals make me cringe.  I've heard Adult/Child.  Sounds like Sinatra and it sucks.  I like the Moog on Love You, but then they lost it til 2012.  I don't hear any auto-tune.  That's just how they sound.  I (me) don't even want to touch upon what has been said about the Mike and Bruce shows or way too many of the "Out-side"/Solo Projects.
I am not an elitist-fan, I am a Beach Boys fan.  I am not better than you cause I got to grow up with them.  It was however a different experience.  I don't care if you do polls til you're blue.  But you should take the time to listen to their music.  And hopefully like it more than I've been reading lately.  They are a much better band than many around here give them credit for.  That is my opinion, but in the end - respect your right to yours.
I Love All The Beach Boys.  I'm here to post about that love.      peace,   Will

I agree that if "sub-fans", as we've now labeled them lol, want to contribute meaningfully to this forum, they should probably have real familiarity with what they're chiming in on.  My excuse for not having listen to all of the Beach Boys' records (I've still got a few live albums, SIP, Cruisin, Party, and that 'Merica one to get through) is that I listen to them  s l o w l y.  As a younger fan (24 y/o) who didn't grow up with the Beach Boys, I wanted to digest to their entire catalog as I became a fan--but I wanted to digest it slowly.  So I never listened to a "new" Beach Boys LP more than once a month.  And because I wanted The SMiLE Sessions to be the "finale" LP (not counting the weird albums above), I waited nearly two years to listen to it after it came out!  (It was entirely worth the wait, btw.)  I wouldn't doubt if some other newer-ish fans just like to jam Friends for months before moving onto 20/20 (rather than, say, zipping through Friends to M.I.U. in an afternoon).  I know that I've really enjoyed drawing out my Beach Boys' LP first-impressions.

Not sure if I've wandered off into a tangent, but I just wanted to throw out the possibility that maybe these sub-fans haven't YouTubed every rarity and SIP because they care about the music and just don't like to "get it over with".  And if these sub-fans simply haven't listened to the ole' surfin' n' car songs because they're "hokey", then maybe we can encourage them to see how rad many of those songs/albums really are.  Smiley  Is that fair?
That's respectable, I like your way of thinking.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »

Raven,  I used "sub-fan" cause you did.  We can call them new fan as easily.  It was your post that sparked my comic-rant (I hope it came off that way).  I didn't like being considered an elitist, I'm just a fan.  Let me repeat, I'm not better than a younger fan cause I got to live through it.  I hang out here to learn stuff too.  Some criticism is fine, but I've been reading some really hateful stuff here recently, on the music - I don't bother to read much of the personal criticism of the band.  Lighten up.  Why come to the forum if you don't like more than a handful of the songs?  I do look over the polls.  When the recent polls began with the sections (67-69 ect.), that's possible.  Picking one album for a career...it's not as simple as that.  Well this week it's...
Those saying polling/bullsh*t threads are clogging up the Main Board have a point.  We all should want something that will catch the eye of the experts at the top of the heap.  If all they see is polls and joke threads, they'll move on.  And again, there is a place set up here to talk about anything.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:25:47 AM by feelsflow » Logged

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »

Well said. I was going to post something along these lines, but you said it better (as I thought you might, remembering your explanation as to why you hadn't heard Party!) I've been trying to get to know the Kinks 60s/early 70s catalogue recently and there's just too much of it to listen to it all and evaluate it instantaneously. Particularly as a lot of it demands careful listening. You have to slowly absorb it album by album, otherwise terrific understated songs get overlooked, and also the whole process just isn't as much fun. It becomes a chore.

Please delete my account
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »

Chiming in as somebody would like to see the endless polls put in their own section/sub-board.

Gets my vote every time. Make it so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: