gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:31:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is A New Beach Boys Album On The Way?  (Read 24095 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »

The older I get, the less sympathetic I am to Brian Wilson and his "sensitivity."  Not that Mike is a flawless person, but Brian seems to have some #firstworldproblems, as they say in Twitter-ville.  As long as Brian is happy, though, I'm sure no one minds that Brian stayed away and binge-watched "House of Cards, Season 2" instead. He's the one who missed out on the steak and cake.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »

I get the feeling that Al would probably be in the touring Beach Boys if it didn't mean major cuts in pay for Mike and Bruce. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to include Al. It would lend them more "credibility," but that probably doesn't equate to bigger venues.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »

I get the feeling that Al would probably be in the touring Beach Boys if it didn't mean major cuts in pay for Mike and Bruce. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to include Al. It would lend them more "credibility," but that probably doesn't equate to bigger venues.
I would like to see David with them for sure. I know he played with them pre-reunion and him being there just adds some authenticity to the early surf rockers, plus he can throw in a Dennis song to sing. No reason he can't do that with both M&B and Brian if he has the opportunity to if money isn't a huge issue.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 10:35:26 PM »

Maybe Al, Dave, Bruce and Mike together with Matt, Jeff and the ofhers took the opportunity to have an enjoyable night letti their hair down after some exacting vocal sessions, while Brian and Joe stayed home to get the album mixed ready for a surprise release this spring.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »

Mike never went to the kennedy center awards either to be fair.

Edit: Maybe Brian sent Jeff as a representative.

Mike was playing a gig on 12/2/07... And I doubt Jeff was Brian's envoy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »

If he had an appointment to be someplace else that night, which I doubt, he should have cancelled and gone to the Ella awards to salute Mike.  A lot of people make excuses for Brian Wilson, but he seems pretty self centered and inconsiderate a good deal of the time.  Being famous doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Brian is old and sick with a severe nervous condition.  That isn't an excuse it's a fact.   

No, actually it's you with a hopelessly inept understanding of Brian's current situation.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »

It certainly becomes a head-scratcher when BW is the one living BB (Blondie/Ricky excepted) who doesn't show at Mike's big night.

I applaud Al and Dave for showing up.

My take on it is this: Considering what we know of the circumstances of the end of C50 (which admittedly we don't know all know the full details of), at the very least it can be deduced with a reasonable degree of certainty that the way things went down (with Mike taking control of the BBs name for touring purposes) must've left certain BB members feeling really hurt.

IMHO...

My guess is that Dave was bummed, but not "hurt" in a deep way.

I imagine Al was really truly bummed and had/has some BIG issues with Mike's actions and the way Mike communicated (or didn't). I'm sure there are some big C50-implosion-related hurt feelings/resentment that Al still has against Mike (I'd be shocked if not)... so, it is big of Al to put those issues aside and show up for this event.  Good for Al for being a bigger man and attending a very important event for his bandmate, even if he has some major, major issues with the guy. I'd almost say that Al was taking a cue from what Carl would've done in his shoes under the circumstances.  

Finally, I imagine that Brian felt most hurt by the way things went down at the end of C50. He is/has always been the most emotionally sensitive member of the band, and of all living members besides Mike, Brian surely has always felt the band ultimately was/is his baby at its core... which had to have made him feel all the more butt-hurt by the reunion falling to pieces in the way it did. While we don't all know the full reasons (except some insiders), I imagine Brian would place most of the blame (and the mind-bogglingly ridiculous public way it went down) with Mike.

Therefore, is it really that surprising that Brian would decide not to show up, since Brian surely has (and justifiably so, despite whoever of the usual suspects on this board are gonna refute this) the biggest chip on his shoulder against Mike these days of all living BBs? It sucks that he didn't show up, because it comes off publicly as looking petty, especially since Dave and Al put whatever issues they had aside. But ultimately, I think Brian was/remains hurt, for reasons that I presume are very, very real to him.  

Ultimately, I'm sure Brian has some regret about not going, especially knowing that Al/Dave went, as well as all the kids. But Brian stays away from situations that are really super emotionally awkward for him, such as the 2014 entity unfortunately known as the Fractured Beach Boys.

Basically, I think Brian and Mike are currently at a stalemate, where Brian would probably have come to the event if Mike had reached out and made some apologies to him about C50, etc. Beyond Mike's LA Times article. I really doubt Mike has reached out to Brian and acknowledged damage/pain that Brian probably felt was caused by Mike. And again, to the uber-Mike defenders, whether you guys want to agree that Mike has anything whatsoever in the world to apologize for, that doesn't really matter if Brian (as I presume he does) wants an apology from Mike.

The whole thing is just really f-in sad. It all comes down to the fact that regardless of the musical magic that they were able to create at their peak, the personalities known as Brian Douglas Wilson and Michael Edward Love were really not meant to be together as bandmates in a band (as people, not necessarily musically speaking). They just can't healthily communicate, ultimately want very different things, and those two guys cannot seem to avoid hurting each other, over and over and over again. As a huge fan of this band, it is painful to say that, but ultimately IMHO there ain't no way around it.

Your assumption that the end of C50 was due entirely to Mike's actions is... interesting.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

Wow! Beach Boys are really looking good here.

The Stamos dude is starting to show his age, isn't he?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 11:51:23 AM »

It certainly becomes a head-scratcher when BW is the one living BB (Blondie/Ricky excepted) who doesn't show at Mike's big night.

My take on it is this: Considering what we know of the circumstances of the end of C50 (which admittedly we don't know all know the full details of), at the very least it can be deduced with a reasonable degree of certainty that the way things went down (with Mike taking control of the BBs name for touring purposes) must've left certain BB members feeling really hurt.

IMHO...

I imagine Al was really truly bummed and had/has some BIG issues with Mike's actions and the way Mike communicated (or didn't). I'm sure there are some big C50-implosion-related hurt feelings/resentment that Al still has against Mike (I'd be shocked if not)... so, it is big of Al to put those issues aside and show up for this event.  Good for Al for being a bigger man and attending a very important event for his bandmate, even if he has some major, major issues with the guy. I'd almost say that Al was taking a cue from what Carl would've done in his shoes under the circumstances.  

Finally, I imagine that Brian felt most hurt by the way things went down at the end of C50. He is/has always been the most emotionally sensitive member of the band, and of all living members besides Mike, Brian surely has always felt the band ultimately was/is his baby at its core... which had to have made him feel all the more butt-hurt by the reunion falling to pieces in the way it did. While we don't all know the full reasons (except some insiders), I imagine Brian would place most of the blame (and the mind-bogglingly ridiculous public way it went down) with Mike.

Therefore, is it really that surprising that Brian would decide not to show up, since Brian surely has (and justifiably so, despite whoever of the usual suspects on this board are gonna refute this) the biggest chip on his shoulder against Mike these days of all living BBs? It sucks that he didn't show up, because it comes off publicly as looking petty, especially since Dave and Al put whatever issues they had aside. But ultimately, I think Brian was/remains hurt, for reasons that I presume are very, very real to him.  

Ultimately, I'm sure Brian has some regret about not going, especially knowing that Al/Dave went, as well as all the kids. But Brian stays away from situations that are really super emotionally awkward for him, such as the 2014 entity unfortunately known as the Fractured Beach Boys.

Basically, I think Brian and Mike are currently at a stalemate, where Brian would probably have come to the event if Mike had reached out and made some apologies to him about C50, etc. Beyond Mike's LA Times article. I really doubt Mike has reached out to Brian and acknowledged damage/pain that Brian probably felt was caused by Mike. And again, to the uber-Mike defenders, whether you guys want to agree that Mike has anything whatsoever in the world to apologize for, that doesn't really matter if Brian (as I presume he does) wants an apology from Mike.

The whole thing is just really f-in sad. It all comes down to the fact that regardless of the musical magic that they were able to create at their peak, the personalities known as Brian Douglas Wilson and Michael Edward Love were really not meant to be together as bandmates in a band (as people, not necessarily musically speaking). They just can't healthily communicate, ultimately want very different things, and those two guys cannot seem to avoid hurting each other, over and over and over again. As a huge fan of this band, it is painful to say that, but ultimately IMHO there ain't no way around it.

Your assumption that the end of C50 was due entirely to Mike's actions is... interesting.

AGD - I wish I had all the info, but as you've said before, hopefully the full story will emerge to the public in due course of time. While it's admittedly futile for me to speculate without all the facts, I still presume that Brian feeling (and remaining to some degree) hurt/resentful by Mike's actions regarding the implosion of C50 (even if other factors/people/BB spouses were ultimately factors as well) was, in all likelihood, a major  factor in why Brian was a no-show at Mike's big night.

And while it sucks and is unfortunate that he didn't go (and is indicative of the dysfunctional relationship these guys have always had and always will have), I can understand and empathize with Brian, and based on the limited, non-insider info that I have, I do not think he's a jerk for not showing. But I do think it's sad, and I do think Brian will (or already has) some regret or mixed feelings about it.

That being said, IMO I think that to some degree his no-show is ultimately also a power-play of some sort.  I mean, it's making some sort of a statement one way or another. I'm sure that thought and discussion went into the decision of whether BW would show or not.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:56:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

This is awesome! Very happy that Al and Mike have mended things, yet again, and can do something together! Real shame Brian wasn't there. I can only imagine his wife, guessing here, said no? Really a bummer there.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »

"Brian...would you like to attend Mike's Ella award ceremony tonight?"

"Sure...why not?"

"Or maybe we should go to that Korean restaurant you like instead?"

"Sure! That sounds great!"

"Well, which is it then?"

"Yeah...okay. That's fine."

Cool

The only thing more tiring about the endless C50 finale speculations, is the insider dangling carrots out there..."One day...the whole story will be revealed." Like Cool Hand Luke showing deuce pair at the poker table. I hope one day we DO get some closure, just so we could move on. To the BEDROOM TAPES! WHAT ARE THEY? WHY AREN'T THEY RELEASED!? WHO HEARD 'EM? I HAVEN'T HEARD 'EM! LET'S HEAR 'EM!

(BRI showing pair of hearts...and now the river...)

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »

This is awesome! Very happy that Al and Mike have mended things, yet again, and can do something together! Real shame Brian wasn't there. I can only imagine his wife, guessing here, said no? Really a bummer there.

Sure is a bummer.
Even if there is no "reunion," it would be nice to see them all mend fences and at least be seen together.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »

If he had an appointment to be someplace else that night, which I doubt, he should have cancelled and gone to the Ella awards to salute Mike.  A lot of people make excuses for Brian Wilson, but he seems pretty self centered and inconsiderate a good deal of the time.  Being famous doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Brian is old and sick with a severe nervous condition.  That isn't an excuse it's a fact.  

No, actually it's you with a hopelessly inept understanding of Brian's current situation.

Bit Snippy isn't it?

IMHO...

Facts! Facts!....Just ONCE for the love of god!....No childish hints, any topic..... Facts!

Ok I'll try one.

Mid C50...Mike "Lets think about keeping this thing going?"

Brian "Sure, but I want my band and I'm loving that private tour bus!"

Mike "The numbers don't work out so I'm going to have to pass and say no!"

Brian "Waahhh...It feels like I've been fired!"

Am I close? Is it 'interesting" or just 'inept"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:04:14 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »

All this speculation… we always need to bear in mind that we see perhaps 1% of the lives of these people we idolise - for all we know Brian and Mike have breakfast together when they're both in town; Bruce and Al maybe go riding together, maybe Dave and Mike take Al and Brian bowling once ona while. Maybe not. But the "feud" is as much speculation as the new album theory… entertaining, aye, but we're just willing to be entertained.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »

All this speculation… we always need to bear in mind that we see perhaps 1% of the lives of these people we idolise - for all we know Brian and Mike have breakfast together when they're both in town; Bruce and Al maybe go riding together, maybe Dave and Mike take Al and Brian bowling once ona while. Maybe not. But the "feud" is as much speculation as the new album theory… entertaining, aye, but we're just willing to be entertained.
Very true. I am guessing it is Mrs. Love and Mrs. Wilson who just don't see things the same way.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »

Of course we speculate. Its what we unwashed do, and I don't mind one dot!

I just believe put downs on those of us who can ONLY speculate is pretty damn rude to be honest. If anyone is unwilling to expand on their reasoning due to some sort of confidentiality, don't even join in the thread to begin with.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »

Deleted by Moon Dawg
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:17:05 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

If he had an appointment to be someplace else that night, which I doubt, he should have cancelled and gone to the Ella awards to salute Mike.  A lot of people make excuses for Brian Wilson, but he seems pretty self centered and inconsiderate a good deal of the time.  Being famous doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Brian is old and sick with a severe nervous condition.  That isn't an excuse it's a fact.  

You had been doing better in 2014, but there you go again. How wonderful it must be to be privy to the halls of power and prestige.

Regardless of the issues, it would have been a class move for Brian to attend.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:25:03 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »

Of course we speculate. Its what we unwashed do, and I don't mind one dot!

I just believe put downs on those of us who can ONLY speculate is pretty damn rude to be honest. If anyone is unwilling to expand on their reasoning due to some sort of confidentiality, don't even join in the thread to begin with.
That is BS, Andrew and others have stated many times that it wasn't just Mike that ended the C50 reunion and onward. And no, we all don't speculate into the personal business of the band members. Most of us have control and patience and can wait until the facts filter out. And you don't think it is rude to speculate and put your opinion before fact? As far as I'm concerned a lot of the hate for Mike comes from the speculations and opinions that over the years seem to become unsubstantiated facts. It is very hard to get to the truth when so much fiction is thrown around as fact.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:30:37 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »

Why this talk about the facts of the break-up of the C50 coming out some day? AGD mentions it also. Who is going to spill the beans?

My own take on things is this. I along with others can speculate about the C50 until the cows come home. It was the group that broke up and one that was doing pretty well on the surface. For the record, over 18 months my C50 break-up posts have sided more with AGD and his comments, that is it wasn't necessarily Mike.

Group members health, and family relationships ie wives, are for me off limits.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:48:59 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »

I suspect that no telling of the end of the C50 events will ever satisfy everyone. I am sure that Brian and Melinda and Joe (possibly more the latter two), feel they were justified in their actions and demands, and Mike and Jackie feel likewise. I'm sure that one side will say that Mike was being unreasonable and greedy, and the other will say Brian was used as a pawn. It has ever been thus in Beach Boys circles, regardless of the business specifics (which could likely be worked out one way or another if the personality conflicts didn't erupt). The views of fans will likewise divide, again depending on the side to which one is more partial.

Anyway, nice to see the guys hanging out, and nice to know that attempts are being made to bury hatchets. I had never heard of the award before this recent publicity, so I'm not one to judge someone sitting it out. As some have said, it's not as though Mike and the other guys rushed to be with Brian at the Kennedy Center awards or the Grammys with BWPS, or the MusiCares tribute, etc. And yes, yes, those were all about Brian and not the BBs. But this award was supposedly all about Mike. So ...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic.

The Brian/ Beck album is stalled it seems.

Questioning a possible Beach Boys album in its place has its doubters.

Anyone care to....eh....speculate..... WTF is going on? Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic.

The Brian/ Beck album is stalled it seems.

Questioning a possible Beach Boys album in its place has its doubters.

Anyone care to....eh....speculate..... WTF is going on? Wink
Any Brian Wilson composed and recorded music can easily become the vehicle for a Beach Boys album. So it can never be out of the realm of possibility.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »

Well, Brian's recent recordings were only partially with Beck. There was never any promise of a BW/Beck duet album. It was always going to be a BW solo album with guests. IIRC, there were several batches of material being worked on last year (stuff with Al, the Life Suite material). There was no specific album release date given, and no specific note made of exactly which songs in which proportions would be included.

I can see three or four possible scenarios.

1.) Beck doesn't want his contributions included. So they'll use a different batch of songs, or overdub new guitar parts.

2.) The project is taking a new direction, making Beck's stuff less important.

3.) Joe and Brian's people are fighting. If that's the case, everything stalls because Joe is co-writer and co-producer on everything. No Joe, no project.

4.) The record company is getting cold feet. Maybe it's not any good.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:26:51 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »

If this is the case its all happened in the last month then. Matt J was recording Jan 24.

Why AGD's comment about the stars realigning if its bad news. I got a more positive vibe?

(But that would be my positive, sunny disposition!  Grin)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:33:40 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx