gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is A New Beach Boys Album On The Way?  (Read 24025 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »

I haven't really thought much about further Beach Boys reunions. We got studio & live reunion albums. The group (and Capitol) finally capitulated and released "Made in California" after putting the fans through an ordeal that lasted approximately 2 years. And the download-only "copyright extension" collection ("The Big Beat:1963") was an unexpected bonus. If we get any more music, whether it is archival Beach Boys material or another Brian Wilson solo album, it will be another bonus. But I'm certainly not clamoring for anything. Those days are over. I'm expecting that Capitol will want (or assemble) some sort of Brian Wilson or Beach Boys CD "product" for marketing this summer. If anything gets released, I'll be there, I'll buy it. If not, I won't be brokenhearted.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »

As far as "Mike and Brian can't agree on the touring Beach Boys that much has been clear for decades"... With the exception of the C50 tour, over the last 50 years (since 1964), I don't think Brian Wilson cared very much - if at all - about the touring Beach Boys, other than making sure his check from each show was deposited into his checking account.

And, the "Mike and Brian's problem has always been dividing the studio and touring world of the BBs." thing... I addressed the touring above. As far as the studio, for the LARGE PART of the last 45 years, Brian Wilson has basically contributed WHATEVER HE WANTED to the Beach Boys' albums. It could be one or two songs like on Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland. It could be a couple of co-writes like Sunflower, KTSA, and BB1985. Or, it could be no songs like on L.A. Light Album (those songs were in the can) and Summer In Paradise. They "gave him" an entire album in Love You. During those years, the group was happy to receive whatever Brian was willing or able to contribute. While I'm sure the group, including Mike, would've appreciated more input from Brian, I wouldn't characterize it as a "Mike and Brian's problem dividing the studio world".

I do, however, think it is an issue NOW. Mike Love is no longer happy just to have Brian Wilson in The Beach Boys UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES like he used to for several decades. I think that has changed. I believe there are three basic reasons for this: 1) the success of "Kokomo" (coinciding with the commercial failures of Brian's solo career), 2) Mike has successfully carried/driven The Beach Boys name for several years through touring, TV appearances, and benefits with no Wilsons which of course includes no Brian, and 3) Brian has said some hurtful things about Mike and the Beach Boys, and for several years of his solo career (which is now almost 30 years long) has mostly disassociated himself from the group.

There used to be a time when Mike would say things like "Brian is welcome at any time to sit in with The Beach Boys. We'll always have a chair available for him..." And, I think Mike was sincere in that sentiment. Brian could come and go, play a date here and there, or contribute a song here and there. I wonder if when the reunion was proposed and discussed, there wasn't some feeling on Mike's part regarding Brian like "Oh, NOW you want to be a Beach Boy again..." It's apparent that Mike has some regrets about the way the reunion was handled. I think now, going forward, Mike still welcomes Brian on stage and would still like to work with him in the studio, but under his (Mike's) terms. Things have changed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:55:07 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »

I may be wrong but wasn't Love You initially intended to be a BW solo album? If that's the case, The Beach Boys didn't "give" Brian a whole album. They basically wanted to use his album for themselves. I thought I recalled reading that but again, I could be wrong.

I do agree with you that Mike is all for Brian being a part of The Beach Boys but under his terms. That's totally understandable now since circumstances are so different. Decades ago, the band still had record contracts, needed to put out records and would be willing to take/consider any material that Brian had. Nowadays, The Beach Boys are about Mike and Bruce touring and playing the hits to crowds that want it.  There isn't a NEED to put out new material. 95% of the people attending those shows probably wouldn't want to hear new material anyway. I think that if The Beach Boys were to put out a new album, it would almost definitely require another tour with the remaining 5 members. Mike clearly didn't like the way the 50th tour went and wouldn't think about putting himself in that situation again unless he was touring and promoting an album that he contributed to and was happy with. Otherwise, he continues to tour with Bruce and do what he's been happy doing for years. No real loss for him.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

I thought Love You was a Beach Boys album and Brian had a solo project separate from that in the form of the so-called big band album, which was never released.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »

I understand it as this:

Brian worked on a solo album, but lost interest for whatever reason and it remained unfinished. The Beach Boys took over, adding vocals and such, and Carl finished up production, earning him the title of "mixdown producer" on the back.

I could be (and probably am) wrong.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »

Interesting post Sheriff. However, there are a few things that require correction.

Brian Wilson has basically contributed WHATEVER HE WANTED to the Beach Boys' albums. It could be one or two songs like on Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland. It could be a couple of co-writes like Sunflower, KTSA, and BB1985. Or, it could be no songs like on L.A. Light Album (those songs were in the can) and Summer In Paradise.

First of all, Brian surely did contribute material to the L.A. (Light Album) sessions. If I'm remembering c-man's account of the Miami sessions correctly, Brian did review (and possibly worked on) "Good Timin'", likely with a view to including it on the first CBS album. It also seems that "Shortenin' Bread", which I'm pretty sure was recorded in January of '78 was also submitted by Brian for L.A. during those days. And don't forget it was he who produced and sang and The Beach Boys version of "California Feelin'" which ultimately didn't make it. And it seems like the "Calendar Girl" cover was originally his idea. So he actually was quite a lot more involved then it seems at first. And I know that this ultimately has jack to do with the topic at hand, but I like making sure certain myths around here aren't perpetrated.

They "gave him" an entire album in Love You.

I also don't think it would be fair to say they "gave him" Love You. Well maybe Dennis and Carl, because they probably wouldn't have minded if they had some new songs of their own on there. But Mike and Al, I'm guessing that they were just fine that there was gonna be a new album of originals all written by Brian. I just don't think they expected it to be as wacky as it was.

I do, however, think it is an issue NOW. Mike Love is no longer happy just to have Brian Wilson in The Beach Boys UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES like he used to for several decades. I think that has changed. I believe there are three basic reasons for this: 1) the success of "Kokomo" (coinciding with the commercial failures of Brian's solo career), 2) Mike has successfully carried/driven The Beach Boys name for several years through touring, TV appearances, and benefits with no Wilsons which of course includes no Brian, and 3) Brian has said some hurtful things about Mike and the Beach Boys, and for several years of his solo career (which is now almost 30 years long) has mostly disassociated himself from the group.

There used to be a time when Mike would say things like "Brian is welcome at any time to sit in with The Beach Boys. We'll always have a chair available for him..." And, I think Mike was sincere in that sentiment. Brian could come and go, play a date here and there, or contribute a song here and there. I wonder if when the reunion was proposed and discussed, there wasn't some feeling on Mike's part regarding Brian like "Oh, NOW you want to be a Beach Boy again..." It's apparent that Mike has some regrets about the way the reunion was handled. I think now, going forward, Mike still welcomes Brian on stage and would still like to work with him in the studio, but under his (Mike's) terms. Things have changed.

And now for the true issue at hand. You really think "Kokomo" still makes Mike feel validated that he doesn't need Brian at least in the studio? I think maybe from the Still Cruisin' through Summer In Paradise that was true, but I think after the SIP debacle where they couldn't find a major label to release it (this only like four years after "Kokomo") and the fact that they sold like 1000 copies leads me to believe Mike knows that commercially "Kokomo" (while a good song in my opinion) was a fluke. Note that he was willing to go back to the Brian-in-charge thing for "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery", and even having Brian as "producer" for Stars & Stripes. He knows, as big as his own ego is, that Brian Wilson is the "name" that fuels The Beach Boys and that without him it's looked at as kinda halfassed.

So I don't think it's that he felt like overcome by any of this, I think it's just come down to the fact that for the first time since like maybe the early '70s Brian (or his people) were willing to throw some weight around concerning Beach Boys matters. I think it slightly came as a shock to Mike that it truly was Brian producing the album. Judging by the "Waves of Love" incident with Al, it seemed pretty obvious that Brian was in charge, and that he was going to work on the songs the he wanted to. And it just so happened that he liked "Daybreak Over The Ocean", so that one made it, while "Waves of Love" didn't. I think the Brian that Mike had dealt with for the past 40 or so years was more pliable. Or at least that he wasn't as concerned. To put it in baseball terms, from around '62 to '67 or so Brian was the manager, then he realized that he only wanted to be a player. So from then until '97 or '98, whenever it became clear that Brian wasn't gonna work with Mike anymore, Brian was cool just to contribute what he felt like. And Mike became used to it. I don't think he expected Brian-the-leader in 2012, he probably expected the team player, the pliable Brian. And when he didn't get that, it shocked him. Because in Mike's mind, "how dare Brian think he take this team back over, I've been running it since whenever and things are working...who does he think he is???"

I understand it as this:

Brian worked on a solo album, but lost interest for whatever reason and it remained unfinished. The Beach Boys took over, adding vocals and such, and Carl finished up production, earning him the title of "mixdown producer" on the back.

Yeah, you are wrong. Sorry  Grin

The album was basically always considered a Beach Boys album. However apparently Brian was pretty slapdash with the mixes and whatnot so Carl did have to clean it up.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »

I think Brian and Mike lack the creative abilities to write new songs and produce them for an album.  Maybe Brian has something left, but I'm a bit skeptical.  Mike would find SIP and TM type songs to be fine, Brian likes Shelter type mush.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »

I think Brian and Mike lack the creative abilities to write new songs and produce them for an album.  Maybe Brian has something left, but I'm a bit skeptical.  Mike would find SIP and TM type songs to be fine, Brian likes Shelter type mush.

I don't know if that's exactly true. Apparently "From There To Back Again" was actually written recently. And in both Brian and Mike's defense I think "Isn't It Time" is pretty commercial (and also just pretty great) and they co-wrote that one.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2014, 03:34:45 AM »

I don't know if that's exactly true. Apparently "From There To Back Again" was actually written recently. And in both Brian and Mike's defense I think "Isn't It Time" is pretty commercial (and also just pretty great) and they co-wrote that one.

And as Mike is always saying, they tend to bring out the best in each other. So a song they sit down and write together from scratch may turn out to be better than the sum of the parts (music and lyrics the two of them write separately).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »

And as Mike is always saying, they tend to bring out the best in each other. So a song they sit down and write together from scratch may turn out to be better than the sum of the parts (music and lyrics the two of them write separately).
And, c-man, I guess that's the bottom line.  Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

From Brian's facebook page:

"Brian's Summer Plans:

Brian has uniquely been invited back to play at Cork for their 10th anniversary year, after he opened up this amazing series of concerts back in June 2005.

The series has, year after year, featured such iconic artists as Bob Dylan, Elton John, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Sting, Dolly Parton, amongst others.

Together with headlining Hop Farm, that has previously featured Bob Dylan and Van Morrison, amongst others, these two shows will provide a unique opportunity for European fans to see Brian this summer. Brian will be back in the Fall to debut material from his new album and celebrate the release of his upcoming feature film."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »

Interesting post Sheriff. However, there are a few things that require correction.

Brian Wilson has basically contributed WHATEVER HE WANTED to the Beach Boys' albums. It could be one or two songs like on Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland. It could be a couple of co-writes like Sunflower, KTSA, and BB1985. Or, it could be no songs like on L.A. Light Album (those songs were in the can) and Summer In Paradise.

First of all, Brian surely did contribute material to the L.A. (Light Album) sessions. If I'm remembering c-man's account of the Miami sessions correctly, Brian did review (and possibly worked on) "Good Timin'", likely with a view to including it on the first CBS album. It also seems that "Shortenin' Bread", which I'm pretty sure was recorded in January of '78 was also submitted by Brian for L.A. during those days. And don't forget it was he who produced and sang and The Beach Boys version of "California Feelin'" which ultimately didn't make it. And it seems like the "Calendar Girl" cover was originally his idea. So he actually was quite a lot more involved then it seems at first. And I know that this ultimately has jack to do with the topic at hand, but I like making sure certain myths around here aren't perpetrated.

They "gave him" an entire album in Love You.

I also don't think it would be fair to say they "gave him" Love You. Well maybe Dennis and Carl, because they probably wouldn't have minded if they had some new songs of their own on there. But Mike and Al, I'm guessing that they were just fine that there was gonna be a new album of originals all written by Brian. I just don't think they expected it to be as wacky as it was.

And now for the true issue at hand. You really think "Kokomo" still makes Mike feel validated that he doesn't need Brian at least in the studio? I think maybe from the Still Cruisin' through Summer In Paradise that was true, but I think after the SIP debacle where they couldn't find a major label to release it (this only like four years after "Kokomo") and the fact that they sold like 1000 copies leads me to believe Mike knows that commercially "Kokomo" (while a good song in my opinion) was a fluke. Note that he was willing to go back to the Brian-in-charge thing for "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery", and even having Brian as "producer" for Stars & Stripes. He knows, as big as his own ego is, that Brian Wilson is the "name" that fuels The Beach Boys and that without him it's looked at as kinda halfassed.

So I don't think it's that he felt like overcome by any of this, I think it's just come down to the fact that for the first time since like maybe the early '70s Brian (or his people) were willing to throw some weight around concerning Beach Boys matters. I think it slightly came as a shock to Mike that it truly was Brian producing the album. Judging by the "Waves of Love" incident with Al, it seemed pretty obvious that Brian was in charge, and that he was going to work on the songs the he wanted to. And it just so happened that he liked "Daybreak Over The Ocean", so that one made it, while "Waves of Love" didn't. I think the Brian that Mike had dealt with for the past 40 or so years was more pliable. Or at least that he wasn't as concerned. To put it in baseball terms, from around '62 to '67 or so Brian was the manager, then he realized that he only wanted to be a player. So from then until '97 or '98, whenever it became clear that Brian wasn't gonna work with Mike anymore, Brian was cool just to contribute what he felt like. And Mike became used to it. I don't think he expected Brian-the-leader in 2012, he probably expected the team player, the pliable Brian. And when he didn't get that, it shocked him. Because in Mike's mind, "how dare Brian think he take this team back over, I've been running it since whenever and things are working...who does he think he is???"

I understand it as this:

Yeah, you are wrong. Sorry  Grin

The album was basically always considered a Beach Boys album. However apparently Brian was pretty slapdash with the mixes and whatnot so Carl did have to clean it up.

1. Yes, Brian contributed some things to the L.A. Light Album SESSIONS, but he didn't contribute any songs the the L.A. Light Album ALBUM, which is what I said in my above post. "Here Comes The Night" was obviously from Wild Honey. Brian's contribution to "Good Timin" was done in 1974(?); the work done during the L.A. Light Album sessions was done by Bruce and Carl. And, the "Shortenin' Bread" version that appeared on L.A. Album was, what, the third or fourth attempt/version of the song which originated from 1976? And, that was also finished by Bruce and maybe Carl? Brian didn't contribute any songs, any new songs, to L.A. Light Album. Any songs on that album bearing his name were cherry-picked from earlier work/versions. A little off topic, but I don't even consider Brian Wilson to be on L.A. Light Album, other than some oohs and ahhs. Does he sing even a single line? A single word? It's one of those deals where you have to listen hard, and say, "Yes, I hear him. Right there. Hear that 'oooh', that sounds like Brian. Hear that note, that 'ahhh', that's Brian. Yep, that was Brian. I heard him". L.A. Light Album was a major disappointment for me based on Brian's almost complete absence, not that I blame him too much because he was institutionalized briefly around that time.

2. While it might not be the best term (are we arguing semantics?), but, yes, I do think Love You was given to Brian. And I don't say that with a negative slant. Love You is my favorite BB album after Pet Sounds and SMiLE. I wish The Beach Boys would've "given" more albums to Brian Wilson post-Love You. I'm not so sure he wanted them. I've been waiting 37 years for another Brian Wilson-composed album like Love You where he sat down and wrote an album's worth of CURRENT material, not an album full of older tracks, covers, live tracks, or collaborator-driven songs. 15 Big Ones was a lot of things, things not worth discussing in this thread. But it (15 Big Ones) also served a warm-up album for Brian, a project with one of its goals being to get Brian re-acclimated to working with the guys in the studio. The goal was to get Brian producing the Beach Boys at a high level again, and Love You was an outcome of that goal - good or bad - it's a matter of opinion. The band was on the road, Dennis' focus was on POB, Brian was in one of his creative writing cycles, and the band WANTED Brian to write/produce an album (Love You). I don't recall the other guys around that time (summer/fall 1976) pushing their songs for a Beach Boys' album. Do you remember what the guys wrote on the inside jacket of Love You, "We thank you for sharing yourself and your music with us...we support totally the completion of these songs...we acknowledge your willingness to create...". Love You was Brian's show and I think it was supposed to be that way. It was Brian's album, more a solo album than any of his subsequent solo albums, and the group "gave him" free reign to compose it. I think so anyway...

3. Yes, I think Mike still feels validated by the success of "Kokomo", and he always will. I think "Kokomo" changed everything in the way Endless Summer changed things in 1974. No, I don't think Mike thinks he needs Brian in the studio to get a hit record. Nevermind "Kokomo", but remember the success of "Come Go With Me", "Getcha Back", "Wipe Out", and to a lesser extent, some of the fine productions by Terry Melcher like "California Dreamin" and "Somewhere Near Japan". Brian didn't have a lot to do with those songs (with the exception of his vocal on "Getcha Back"). Do I think Mike would LIKE to work/collaborate with Brian again? Of course. Absolutely. Probably more than anything in the world. But, like I said above, under Mike's terms. Hey, I admitted several times that I was wrong. I never thought I would see the day that Mike wouldn't accept ANY contributions from Brian Wilson under ANY circumstances. But, now I think that has changed. It changed over time. Mike has finally drawn the line. And, I'll leave it up to you and everybody else to decide if he is justified or not. Somehow I think I know how everybody feels about that! Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »

Brian will be back in the Fall to debut material from his new album and celebrate the release of his upcoming feature film."

"Back" where? ? ? ? ? ? ?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »

"... these two shows will provide a unique opportunity for European fans to see Brian this summer. Brian will be back in the Fall to debut material from his new album and celebrate the release of his upcoming feature film."

Now, I'm not much cop with this writing lark, but I'd read that as "back" to "Europe".

But... what do I know of these "Beach Boys" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »

Brian will be back in the Fall to debut material from his new album and celebrate the release of his upcoming feature film."

"Back" where? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Cork. He played there in 2005 I think.

edit....

Fall. Hardly July. Duh. My bad!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:13:22 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

Thank you brian for coming back to ireland, CAN'T WAIT

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »

"... these two shows will provide a unique opportunity for European fans to see Brian this summer. Brian will be back in the Fall to debut material from his new album and celebrate the release of his upcoming feature film."

Now, I'm not much cop with this writing lark, but I'd read that as "back" to "Europe".

But... what do I know of these "Beach Boys" ?

Aye, could well be but I was assuming it might simply mean back in the public gaze. That is the trouble with ambiguity, it either is or might not be ambiguous.  Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing this Brian movie, I can see a elephant in the room at every press conference, interview and story. The fall-out after the C50.

Mike will more than likely come out the villain.

In a perfect world amongst Beck, Blondie, Al and Dave there would be one song on Brian's album that is a new Beach Boys tune.

Interview question. "So Brian, how's things with you and Mike Love?

Brian. "Its ok. In fact we got together in a room and wrote a new Beach Boys song just like the old days for my new album.'

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2014, 06:34:47 AM »

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing this Brian movie, I can see a elephant in the room at every press conference, interview and story. The fall-out after the C50.

Mike will more than likely come out the villain.

In a perfect world amongst Beck, Blondie, Al and Dave there would be one song on Brian's album that is a new Beach Boys tune.

Interview question. "So Brian, how's things with you and Mike Love?

Brian. "Its ok. In fact we got together in a room and wrote a new Beach Boys song just like the old days for my new album.'

As someone who is still plenty fascinated (and bummed) by the dissolution of the reunion, I would still say that two years later while promoting a movie and new solo album, I doubt Brian would be hounded a great deal by the media about the C50 debacle. He may well get some generic questions about the group or other members or Mike Love, but I don’t think the media cared about C50 or its demise once the “Mike fires Brian” headlines stopped “trending” after a few weeks in October of 2012.

As for a “new” BB song on a Brian album, I can’t imagine there’s any scenario where a Beach Boys track, credited to “The Beach Boys”, would appear on a Brian solo album. If the guys actually can somehow manage to all get together on a new track, and are willing to bill it as “The Beach Boys”, then it seems highly unlikely they’d tuck it into a Brian solo album. They’d either build a new album around it or make it a bonus track on yet another hits compilation.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2014, 06:43:50 AM »

Brian has recently stated he's not going to do anymore solo projects? Is there a link to an interview where he stated this?

I'm not clack, but I will say that I'm pretty sure I remember that Brian said he just wanted to do Beach Boys stuff from now on (or something like that) at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, when they had that get together thing right before they went to the UK (I think).

I do recall Brian saying things along those lines *before* the reunion tour dissolved. Clearly, at least for some time in 2012 before Mike bowed out of taking more reunion show/album offers, Brian was all hot on doing more Beach Boys material, and was initially disappointed that Mike didn’t want to keep the reunion lineup together.

It also seems as though Brian got over the disappointment a lot more quickly than some fans (and Al), so any instances prior to the end of the reunion of Brian saying he wanted future projects to be BB projects is not particularly applicable to what’s going on now. Brian hasn’t even professed in some time the sentiments we got from Al in 2013 that, even if it wasn’t possible, he wanted the full lineup to continue on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »

"I do recall Brian saying things along those lines *before* the reunion tour dissolved. Clearly, at least for some time in 2012 before Mike bowed out of taking more reunion show/album offers, Brian was all hot on doing more Beach Boys material, and was initially disappointed that Mike didn’t want to keep the reunion lineup together."

Which is ironic, because the BW I saw at the Hollywood Bowl looked miserable and had no stage presence.  I doubt very much BW wants to play concerts.
G.C
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »

Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

Ah but… the Brian Wilson  we saw at the RAH and at Wembley was having a blast.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:33:45 AM by John Manning » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

A pooling of posts from several recent threads that hint something more than a Brian solo album in the future.

Hello all,
I thought I should post & clarify some points here. Got a call from BW management asking me if I was available to sing in the studio with Brian. I spent the past 3 days putting down lead & backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes. Hopefully they'll keep some of my work but I do know others will sing over what I put down. They're fleshing out new tunes & they are very good, catchy songs. You will be thrilled & surprised. Scott was in for a day working on a tune & it was Brian, Blondie & me the other two days. This is studio work folks & apparently Jeff was not available for this little stretch. It happens & is not a big deal. Brian sang really well, better than I've heard him sing in awhile, was in good spirits & he was assigning me parts on the fly while I was in the vocal booth. Blondie sounds absolutely amazing &, strangely enough, we have a great vocal blend together. It was a very positive experience overall. I believe Dad, aka Al, will be in the studio with Brian in Feb fyi.

I sang guide vocals on some tunes. Other tunes had no vocals & we put down harmonies to add meat to the song along with a scratch lead vocal so Brian & Joe can listen to it.  Building as they go but changes will be made as the songs evolve. Some tunes were in demo form still ( now with very nice harmony bg parts) & others were in a more finished state. Always fun to work with Brian in the studio & he was enjoying the hang time while work was in progress. Blondie, who remembers me from when I was 5, was a pleasure to work & sing with & has such an incredible voice. I hope the tunes with his lead vocals makes the album. So so cool & so Blondie. Awesome vibe! Very productive & very intense 3 days of studio time.

I'm not a betting man - I just work in a bookmakers, trading in base human misery, literally snatching their hard-earned cash out of honest people's hands and FORCING them to squander it on slots and decrepit nags as their ill-clad children shiver outside in the wind and rain, whimpering with hunger while back home the bailiffs are evicting their wife, changing the locks and auctioning the furniture: I love my job -  but I'd wager a modest sum that the Beck/Wilson is withering on the vine.

Jeff with Mike.. Matt with Brian..  what the heck is going on?!

The stars are realigning... who knows where they may fall ? May you live in interesting times...

Rumor Mill to warp factor 12, Mr. Sulu.

Ella award to Mike Love Feb 20. Mike, Dave, Al, Bruce.

Speculate at will people.

And just so I can visualise AGD spilling his tea I'll add this!

David's just posted a teaser on FB advising to keep watching the page for some "cool" Beach Boys news.

I wonder what that could be. Yes indeedy.

I know, I know. An announcement of a new album being made by David Marks is out there on the 'yeah, right' meter. Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »

That's David Beard…

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx