gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:03:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes - LA Weekly 1-30-14  (Read 86001 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »

Ummmm...

"A Day in the Life of a Tree" (alternate version) - According to the band's engineer Stephen Desper, a version of Brian's eco-conscious ballad, "A Day in the Life of a Tree," was first recorded with brother Dennis Wilson on lead vocals before being replaced by manager Jack Rieley on the final track. This version has yet to surface.

Woah if we get to hear that.  Love that song.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Til I Die (Demo and Alternate Version) =  Ahhh!  
Pretty much my reaction to all those tracks though.  They must see release someday!!!  Bow   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:43:04 PM by Brother Ben » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

The early version of Our Sweet Love confuses me - isn't the author saying Brian sings lead and Carl overdubbed backing vocals and instruments on top of that early version?  Does he not know Carl sings lead on the song?  I've heard an early version with no lead vocal.  Hmmm.

Only a few of the listed tracks fall into a "bedroom tape" as I understand bedroom tapes.  Brian C's definition seems to be anything written and put to tape between 1968 and 1974.  In other words, any outtakes released or unreleased.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »

Til I Die (Demo and Alternate Version) =  Ahhh!  

It certainly does seem incredible.
I'll take any Brian-and-piano demo I can get my hands on.

Only a few of the listed tracks fall into a "bedroom tape" as I understand bedroom tapes.  Brian C's definition seems to be anything written and put to tape between 1968 and 1974.  In other words, any outtakes released or unreleased.

Well, to be fair, that title was his own creation. I guess he can put anything under that heading that he wants.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »

I have to say, this doesn't sound like much. At most, a disc's worth of demos and other worthy things that haven't been released yet, and a bunch more missing or destroyed. I'd be more interested in mid- to late-70s stuff that hasn't been booted, along with the BW stuff from the 80s and 90s that has moldered in the vaults.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »

I'd gladly take "only" one disc of this material, jeez Wirestone! Why not pad it out with mid-to-late-'70s stuff and then everyone can be satisfied? I suspect the stuff from the '80s and '90s has been in the vaults for good reason -- what has been released on Made In California doesn't exactly make me want to hear more, at any rate. (I do like "Soul Searchin'" though...)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »

We've all heard the Paley stuff, and several of those tunes are among Brian's strongest solo work. They deserve to be out.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »

"Patty Cake" - On June 4, 1973, Murry Wilson died. The relationship with his three sons was beyond fractured by the end and Brian himself chose not to attend his father's funeral. He instead flew to New York City with sister-in-law Diane, where the two visited the Bronx Zoo amongst other sightseeing ventures. Wilson wrote a song about the zoo's main attraction, a baby gorilla named Patty Cake.

When they returned from New York, Brian told me he couldn't believe the intensity of the look in Patty Cake's eyes.  Said he returned a second time, locked into her eyes & mind, "and everything made sense.  Everything's o.k. now..."  Obviously, though, things weren't o.k.

This was also the time of the legendary Pete Fornatale interview, where he and Diane talk about Patty Cake:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20l4v2ihN5M

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:07:28 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »

Hey, while I'm at it, it broke my heart that the interview edited out American Spring's version of Dennis' song.  God bless youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5neKNaRMq0
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »

And the original   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsevrVoJE-g
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

he had me at the 4 Friends outtakes. is this stuff coming out or WHAT???!!!!!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »

"Song to God"--SOUNDS AMAZING. GAH.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:54 PM »

Ummmm...

"A Day in the Life of a Tree" (alternate version) - According to the band's engineer Stephen Desper, a version of Brian's eco-conscious ballad, "A Day in the Life of a Tree," was first recorded with brother Dennis Wilson on lead vocals before being replaced by manager Jack Rieley on the final track. This version has yet to surface.

Woah if we get to hear that.  Love that song.

Amen.  Love the song, hate Jack's delivery.  Maybe some technical magic could even be done to marry Dennis's vocal to the finished backing track.  THAT would be phenomenal! 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

The article was interesting, if not jaw-dropping. I was hoping to see some things that would make me salivate. But there really wasn't anything. But I will point out a few things I found interesting...

Cool to see that both "Our Happy Home" and "You're As Cool As You Can Be" from the Friends era are both still around. Would be interesting to hear both.

So, it seems that "All I Wanna Do" was yet another Sunflower song of Brian's that the rest of the group had to rally to put together ("Our Sweet Love" and "Cool, Cool Water" too). Also, the 1968 track sounds interesting at the least. I doubt it could top the Sunflower version though.

Interesting that it seems that the elusive "You Never Give Me Your Money" was indeed the Beatles song, but instead of a formal recording, just more of either Brian or Bruce messing around (apparently).

Seems like it's confirmed "Funky Fever" is a Spring outtake? Interesting.

So "Better Get Back in Bed" was originally "Pa, Let Her Go Out"? That's quite interesting. And also seems like a super early '60s type Brian topic. So maybe Brian was already heading in that direction by 1972? Anyways, if "Pa, Let Her Go Out" is on tape, I'd really be interested in hearing it.

And "I'm The Pied Piper" has a longer version? Yes please, I'll have that!

Big bummer that the tape for "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" (aka "Gimme Some Lovin'") apparently is missing. That was one of the early '70s Brian recordings that I most wanted to hear.

I also find it doubtful that either "Pattycake" or "Just an Imitation" exist on tape.

The writer says that "Brian's Jam" was recorded in Colorado, but that's not right. According to AGD's site, "Brian's Jam" was recorded in California in March 1974, along with "Clangin'". "Brian's Tune" was recorded at Caribou however. So it's possible he might be mixing those two up. Regardless, I'd love to hear "Brian's Jam", since I love his "Shortenin' Bread" groove. It really does groove so nicely.

And then, we see that "Lucy Jones" is a duet between Brian and Steve Kalinich. No surprise there. However, as I kinda suspected, no tape has surfaced for "You're Riding High on the Music". So I guess that leaves "Lucy Jones" as the last 1974 Brian vocal to look forward to.

And despite what the author says, "Grateful We Are For Little Children" is not a Brian title, right? And the "Daddy Dear" thing, that's not Brian. Hasn't it been confirmed that's Al? And plus, why would Brian be playing "Susie Cincinnati" in 1972? Even though he did like it enough to put it on 15 Big Ones, I find it doubtful that he'd sit at a piano at that point and play Al's song.

Anyways, I don't know why I went through all that, but....whatever.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »

Is this supposed to be a comprehensive list of known Brian recordings from this period?  The reason I ask is because I'm still wondering where that "Sweet and Bitter" song that came out a while ago on youtube fits into the scheme of things.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »

So I guess that leaves "Lucy Jones" as the last 1974 Brian vocal to look forward to.

I wouldn't say "look forward to". More... "experience".  Huh

And despite what the author says, "Grateful We Are For Little Children" is not a Brian title, right?

Yes, it is - the D. Wilson credit is apparently a typo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2014, 02:11:01 AM »

So are these tapes 100% going to be released at some point? Perhaps along with the album and movie? I really want to hear these songs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:12:36 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2014, 02:24:34 AM »

Thought it would be convenient to post the entire released tracklist:

Track listing for bedroom tapes:

"I'd Love Just Once to See You" (alternate version)
"Whistle In" (alternate versions)
"Our Happy Home"
"New Song"
"Even Stephen"
"You're As Cool As Can Be"
"All I Wanna Do" (1968 version)
"My Little Red Book"
"Sail Plane Song"
"We're Together Again"
"Old Man River"
"America, I Know You"
"Break Away" (demo)
"Good Time" (tracking session)
"Our Sweet Love" (early version)
"Add Some Music to Your Day" (alternate versions)
"Raspberries, Strawberries"
"Back Home" (1970 versions)
"'Til I Die" (demo and alternate version)
"A Day in the Life of a Tree" (alternate version)
"Where Is She?"
"H.E.L.P. Is on the Way"
"Games Two Can Play"
"I Just Got My Pay"
"Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
"My Solution"
"What Can the Matter Be?"
"Awake" (demo) 
"Funky Fever"
"Honeycomb"
"Passing By" (new version)
"Song to God"
"Is Jack Rieley Superman?"
"Burlesque"
"Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'"
"Beatrice from Baltimore"
"Rooftop Harry"
"Body Talk"
"Sail on, Sailor" (demo)
"Spark in the Dark"
"Daddy Dear"/"Suzie Cincinnati"
"Mt. Vernon and Fairway - Theme"/"A Casual Look" (session)
"I'm the Pied Piper"
"Pa, Let Her Go Out"
"Patty Cake"
"The Second (Untitled) Fairy Tale"
"Won't You Tell Me?"
"Just an Imitation"
"Lucy Jones"
"California Feelin'"
"Child of Winter"
"Brian's Jam"
"Clangin'"
"Good Timin'
"Riding High on the Music"
"Grateful Are We for Little Children"

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »

Gotta bear in mind that a bunch of the tunes listed in the article are, to all intents and purposes, hearsay and the tapes haven't been found.  And would they all class as BW recordings, or would most be in Beach Boys/BRI's ownership?

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:53 AM »

Gotta bear in mind that a bunch of the tunes listed in the article are, to all intents and purposes, hearsay and the tapes haven't been found.  And would they all class as BW recordings, or would most be in Beach Boys/BRI's ownership?

Yeah, but I believe the tapes you think haven't been found aren't really missing at all:
    >> The former Mrs. Wilson retains the masters to the Spring album, as well as a number of other Brian Wilson tapes from the period. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »

deleted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:31:41 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »

There is so much stuff here that, just based on these brief descriptions, i would kill to hear -- this is the kind of stuff right here that interests me the most, the so-called "weird" and "uncommercial" material that is languishing in the vaults and in various people's storage rooms. And all those alternate versions!

To whom it may concern: You have my full intere$t in these tapes being released.   

I need a drooling emoticon to properly express my feelings about this article, as well as a suicide emoticon for all the nonchalant, too-cool-for-school responses that ensued. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »

Is "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin" a cover version of the late '60s hit of the same name by the band Crazy Elephant?  If it is, it can't be too good.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

All I could say was damn
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »

Wow! This excites me even more then I was expecting! Looking forward to these in particular:
-What can the Matter Be?
-All I Wanna Do '68
-'Til I Die demo
-Passing By remake that apparently has lyrics
-New Song (Apparently in good quality I assume. Always loved this piece.)
-Spark in the Dark
-All the Fairy Tale stuff, especially the one with Carnie and Wendy
-Won't You Tell me (Love this one.)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx