gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:00:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you ever embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 37426 times)
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »

I think it was Jack Rieley who suggested changing the band's name to "The Beach". Why they didn't I'll never fully understand...

The Beach sounds like a cologne...maybe I think that because I think that actually WAS the name of the cologne
"invented" by Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld.

I do definitely agree that the name was a hindrance, but I don't see The Beach as a viable alternate

Ohh I forgot about that! Kramer is the funniest  LOL
Anyway, I think the cologne from Seinfeld is called "The Ocean", not "The Beach".

I still think they should have changed their name, whether it be "The Beach" or a different name. It would have had a major impact in their image.
And they should have done it either in the Pet Sounds/Smile era or the post-Smile era

Right you are! Still, The Beach is a trite throwaway name, inferior even to The Beach Boys at describing the depth and breadth of the music they were producing in the late 1960s, early 1970s.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »

I wish they had went ahead and changed their name to something else during the '66-'73 period.  when people hear "Beach Boys" they expect to hear songs related to the genre.  I think the name itself played a big part in that.  Sad

I think it was Jack Rieley who suggested changing the band's name to "The Beach". Why they didn't I'll never fully understand...

if they did that do you think it would've been worse? maybe if they just got away from the beach all together it would've helped. who knows  Huh

True, but it is still an improvement. Maybe then they would have been taken more seriously, as "The Beach" is more adult, more mature than "The Beach Boys"

that's true especially since they didn't look the part anymore especially mike with that biblical beard  Old Man ".... and Mike, Old Santa Clause over there"  LOL anyway I don't think that helped either  Undecided

Oh don't get me started on how horrible Mike's Beard was back then! He seriously looked like a hobo!
And though it's not half as bad, I sort-of wish Carl eventually shaved his beard off. Instead, he kept his for the rest of his life

yup he looked more like a beach bum  than a beach boy  Roll Eyes.  I liked Carl's beard the best in the 1980 4th of July concert  Cheesy.  the beard covers up his sweet baby face  LOL when I think of the guys I usually picture them without the beards especially Brian and Dennis

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »

I wish they had went ahead and changed their name to something else during the '66-'73 period.  when people hear "Beach Boys" they expect to hear songs related to the genre.  I think the name itself played a big part in that.  Sad

if they did that do you think it would've been worse? maybe if they just got away from the beach all together it would've helped. who knows  Huh

True, but it is still an improvement. Maybe then they would have been taken more seriously, as "The Beach" is more adult, more mature than "The Beach Boys"

that's true especially since they didn't look the part anymore especially mike with that biblical beard  Old Man ".... and Mike, Old Santa Clause over there"  LOL anyway I don't think that helped either  Undecided

Oh don't get me started on how horrible Mike's Beard was back then! He seriously looked like a hobo!
And though it's not half as bad, I sort-of wish Carl eventually shaved his beard off. Instead, he kept his for the rest of his life

yup he looked more like a beach bum  than a beach boy  Roll Eyes.  I liked Carl's beard the best in the 1980 4th of July concert  Cheesy.  the beard covers up his sweet baby face  LOL when I think of the guys I usually picture them without the beards especially Brian and Dennis

I'd say all the BB's (Mike aside) looked the best at around 1969-1970. But I guess beards did suit Carl, and to an extent Dennis. Just not Brian, and especially Mike!
I remember checking the comments section of Good Vibrations on Youtube, and a lot of the comments were about how creepy Mike looked  LOL
bluesno1fann
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

The Beach sounds like a cologne...maybe I think that because I think that actually WAS the name of the cologne

I do definitely agree that the name was a hindrance, but I don't see The Beach as a viable alternate

Anyway, I think the cologne from Seinfeld is called "The Ocean", not "The Beach".

I still think they should have changed their name, whether it be "The Beach" or a different name. It would have had a major impact in their image.
And they should have done it either in the Pet Sounds/Smile era or the post-Smile era

Right you are! Still, The Beach is a trite throwaway name, inferior even to The Beach Boys at describing the depth and breadth of the music they were producing in the late 1960s, early 1970s.

Or maybe drop the "The" and just be called "Beach". Now that would be pretty cool  Cool Guy
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:18 AM »

Hey!!!!! Now I remember when I felt ashamed to be a Beach Boys fan!

It was when I listened to "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" for the very first time! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »

NO!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »

I have hip friends that I have turned on to the Beach Boys, which has given credibility. When I first got into them, my friends thought I was a geek. Some however, have been blown away. I have a friend into psychedelic music, such as Syd Barrett and Frank Zappa. He didn't care for SMiLE, but he loved Mt Vernon and Fairway!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »

Or maybe drop the "The" and just be called "Beach". Now that would be pretty cool  Cool Guy
I approve. Smokin
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »

I was just in the car with a friend and Kokomo of all songs came on   Embarrassed LOL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:47:18 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »

I was just in the car with a friend and Kokomo of all songs came on   Embarrassed LOL

If it's on the radio, it's hardly a surprise. Because it was a big hit back in 1988, they play it all the time now on the radio!

It's frickin' annoying, but at the same time sort-of understandable
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

'Paul Revere and the Raiders' was by '67 or so an equally embarrassing band name, but in '70 they became just 'the Raiders'. 'The Beach Boys' never really had an option : 'Beach' as a name doesn't cut it.

If they had stuck with the name 'Carl and the Passions', however, they could have eventually become just 'The Passions' -- not great, but not a group name that would so firmly associate the band with a dated, early '60s music fad.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »

If it's on the radio, it's hardly a surprise. Because it was a big hit back in 1988, they play it all the time now on the radio!

Yea I know but I'd rather hear "Surfin Safari" than that  LOL because at least when this song came out it was "hip" well unless you're someone like John Milder  LOL "Don't you think the BB are boss?  angel"

-Dennis Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »

Yea I know but I'd rather hear "Surfin Safari" than that  LOL because at least when this song came out it was "hip" and spoke for the times well unless you're someone like John Milder  LOL "Don't you think the BB are boss?  angel"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:22:30 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:47 AM »

If they had stuck with the name 'Carl and the Passions', however, they could have eventually become just 'The Passions' -- not great, but not a group name that would so firmly associate the band with a dated, early '60s music fad.

That's right, "The Passions" makes me think more of a band from a mid-50s music fad. Cheesy

bluesno1fann
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2014, 03:13:00 AM »

That's right, "The Passions" makes me think more of a band from a mid-50s music fad. Cheesy

Exactly! Passions isn't the right name, Beach Boys in hindsight isn't the best name, Pendletones is even worse.

So what do you guys think is the right name for them? I'm unable to come up with any ideas lol
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2014, 03:20:29 AM »

Exactly! Passions isn't the right name, Beach Boys in hindsight isn't the best name, Pendletones is even worse.

So what do you guys think is the right name for them? I'm unable to come up with any ideas lol

The Wilsons. Or The Wilson Brothers.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:05 AM »

The Wilsons. Or The Wilson Brothers.

Problem with this is simple: Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Blondie, Ricky.
They're still official members, so The Wilsons as a band name just isn't right IMHO
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2014, 03:35:14 AM »

"The Wilsons + The Optionals"

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »

True, 'the Passions' would sound dated, but no more than 'the Impressions' or 'the Temptations', say. And the name wouldn't be the albatross around the neck that the name 'the Beach Boys' was/is, forever associating them with surfing.

'The Wilson Brothers Band', maybe? After all, the 'Allman Brothers Band' only had 2 brothers.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »

On reflection, yes, I have been embarrassed to be a BB fan, but not because of anything the band did.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »

Bands who change their name without actually breaking up and then disown their older material make me want to heave.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »

Bands who change their name without actually breaking up and then disown their older material make me want to heave.

This means you don't like bands such as Small Faces/Faces and Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »

Nobody likes Jefferson Starship.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2014, 12:35:03 AM »

Nobody likes Jefferson Starship.
I'm not exactly a fan of Starship (or Jefferson Starship), but I quite like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.
And We Built This City is a guilty pleasure for me
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:41 AM »

I'm fine with "The Beach Boys", it is better than "The Pendletones", and nobody thinks the Beatles are all about insects either.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx