gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681202 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 06:57:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Lonely Sea" Discussed On "Sound Opinions" Radio Show (Link Included)  (Read 1134 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »

Another radio surprise from the incredible station WXPN, this time on their airing of the show "Sound Opinions" hosted by Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis. The topic was Songs That Make You Cry, and it was cool to hear "The Lonely Sea" discussed and played.

It's one of those gems that too often loses out to the hits, or buried in the history books...and it never gets played on the radio. But it truly is, at least I think, one of Brian's best ever, especially considering as one host mentioned he was in his teens when he wrote it and here he was not only throwing in all kinds of musical sophistication but also singing an introspective lyric and creating an incredible mood with the production. Mike's bass vocal, when it enters the mix, sounds so good here, too.

And it was neat to hear someone else - on the radio no less - calling attention to this terrific song. I remember post-gaming after a BW show in Boston, and I put "Lonely Sea" on the speakers...and it was like dead silence and pure *listening*, like we were taking it all in and hearing this kid, basically, create magic in his song.

But that happens a lot when the Beach Boys are played... Smiley

Here is a direct link to the radio show if anyone wants to hear it and what was said about Lonely Sea. i will say some of the other choices are, well, questionable, but judge for yourself:

http://www.soundopinions.org/show/439

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »

I love love love "Lonely Sea," it's one of  my favorite Beach Boys songs. The way Brian's reverb-drenched voice floats away does a great job of conveying loneliness, like it's echoing out over some big, empty space.

I listen to the Sound Opinions podcast often, it's a great show.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »

Had a nice surprise here in the UK a couple of days back too: BBC Radio 2's show Johnnie Walker's West Coast played Surf's Up (71) followed by Chcago's Wishing You Were Here, peppered with chat about the abandoned Smile project and the Beach Boys backin harmonies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042cjxk

Should still be on iPlayer for those within earshot.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx