gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 04:41:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could John Stamos ever have attained "official" member status?  (Read 5176 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »

I can think of roughly a dozen guys who were not in any way impressed with him back in 2012 for the way he acted when the "Forever" sequence suffered a glitch at one show.

Yeah, a  Air Quotes 'glitch'.  That's it  Wink 2.  The one C50 show in which Stamos made an appearance happened to be the one show that suffered from a 'glitch' in the "Forever" video.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »

Play the John Stamos game, then tell me you don't love and sympathize with him. The man is a golden god.
http://choosatron.com/cdam-stories/john_stamos.html#

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »

I can think of roughly a dozen guys who were not in any way impressed with him back in 2012 for the way he acted when the "Forever" sequence suffered a glitch at one show.

Yeah, a  Air Quotes 'glitch'.  That's it  Wink 2.  The one C50 show in which Stamos made an appearance happened to be the one show that suffered from a 'glitch' in the "Forever" video.

To be even-handed, I'm sure he appeared at a few other shows... but even so...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »

The facts of the matter are John Stamos is a great guy in about every possible way you can judge that.  The only people on the face of the earth who have anything bad to say about him either used to be married to him or don't like how he looks.  The other 4 Billion of us think he's a pretty cool dude, and that includes the ghost of Carl Wilson.

I can think of roughly a dozen guys who were not in any way impressed with him back in 2012 for the way he acted when the "Forever" sequence suffered a glitch at one show. It was discussed here, and elsewhere, and opinions weren't favourable.

Oh... didn't realize that.  O.K., I'm wrong, and you're right Mr. Andrew G. Doe, thank you for correcting me. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

That was the case but as has been mentioned, none of those 12 stepped up to the mic on the night.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

Out of respect ?

I'm sure JS is a really nice guy, loves animals, apple pie and the American Way, but for me, and many others, the problem with his Beach Boys connection is, he's trying much to hard: he WANTS to be a Beach Boy (preferably Dennis, apparently) so much that it hurts, and saying to the media at the Grammy Awards that he was doing the whole tour, then having to retract that claim pretty much the next day, tells me he's the kid you always knew at school who was trying to be in with all the cool cliques. Stepping in and finishing off "Forever" when the tapes failed... well, I've no proof one way or another but I'm pretty sure he didn't play another C50 gig after that (corrections to the usual address, please). Whatever, it was just wrong: there are times when the show doesn't have to go on.

And of course, he was one of the motive forces behind the 2000 mini-series. 'Nuff said.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 12:58:55 AM »

Guess we will never know. Perhaps someone can tell us what the performers hear on stage once they have those ear pieces in. There is a mid 90s clip I have seen where Mikes mic is not working and the whole group just carries on oblivious.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »

This thread seems to have turned into a discussion of Stamos’ “merits” or lack thereof as a musician, dude, etc. But very few replies in this thread actually address the original question. Does anyone else agree that, particularly as the band was using Stamos’ celebrity to get the BB name attention and using him in videos all the time, it seems that he could very easily have become an official member of the band in the late 80s/early 90s, just by Stamos asking (and agreeing to alter work his schedule)? I can't see Mike objecting, and not sure what the other bandmembers at the time would have objected to, provided they all got along with him personally, and that he seemed sincere in his hypothetical full-time dedication.

IMO, I think it’s a no-brainer, and that if he agreed to go with the flow, I can’t see why they wouldn’t have granted him “official” status. I guess it could have come down to a question of money, but again – if Stamos was a big enough fanboy to have agree to terms that the band would give him, that would presumably be a non-issue. I imagine there are not many, but some people who would take a big pay cut in their jobs for an opportunity to join their favorite band. This is not what I personally wished would have happened – just a curious question, that’s all.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:19:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »

The facts of the matter are John Stamos is a great guy in about every possible way you can judge that.  The only people on the face of the earth who have anything bad to say about him either used to be married to him or don't like how he looks.  The other 4 Billion of us think he's a pretty cool dude, and that includes the ghost of Carl Wilson.

I can think of roughly a dozen guys who were not in any way impressed with him back in 2012 for the way he acted when the "Forever" sequence suffered a glitch at one show. It was discussed here, and elsewhere, and opinions weren't favourable.

There were a heck of a lot of positive comments on here about that as well though.

And I think it was obvious what the audience felt.  Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »

This thread seems to have turned into a discussion of Stamos’ “merits” or lack thereof as a musician, dude, etc. But very few replies in this thread actually address the original question. Does anyone else agree that, particularly as the band was using Stamos’ celebrity to get the BB name attention and using him in videos all the time, it seems that he could very easily have become an official member of the band in the late 80s/early 90s, just by Stamos asking (and agreeing to alter work his schedule)? I can't see Mike objecting, and not sure what the other bandmembers at the time would have objected to, provided they all got along with him personally, and that he seemed sincere in his hypothetical full-time dedication.

IMO, I think it’s a no-brainer, and that if he agreed to go with the flow, I can’t see why they wouldn’t have granted him “official” status. I guess it could have come down to a question of money, but again – if Stamos was a big enough fanboy to have agree to terms that the band would give him, that would presumably be a non-issue. I imagine there are not many, but some people who would take a big pay cut in their jobs for an opportunity to join their favorite band. This is not what I personally wished would have happened – just a curious question, that’s all.

I guess it depends on what is meant by 'official'.

Do I think they would have agree to give him the same money that Mike, Al, Carl and Bruce were getting? No.

Can I imagine they might have liked him to appear at all concerts in order to sell more tickets? Yes and when Mike and Bruce have him on stage that is presumably a key reason for doing it.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »

Damn right.  As I said at the time, there is NO way Foskett wouldn't have been all OVER that vocal before anyone else noticed, then had Brian take it from there.  It's part of the man's job.  The fact that NO ONE but Uncle Jesse jumped in shows it was planned.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »

Do I think they would have agree to give him the same money that Mike, Al, Carl and Bruce were getting? No.

Can I imagine they might have liked him to appear at all concerts in order to sell more tickets? Yes and when Mike and Bruce have him on stage that is presumably a key reason for doing it.

I suppose when I say 'official', I mean posing with the band in all group shots, his name listed as a member on all promo materials, and an announcement of him being a new member made. This scenario I feel could have been very close to actually happening if Stamos simply wanted it to be so. And yes, this scenario would be many fans' worst nightmare.  Grin
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »

I suppose when I say 'official', I mean posing with the band in all group shots, his name listed as a member on all promo materials, and an announcement of him being a new member made. This scenario I feel could have been very close to actually happening if Stamos simply wanted it to be so. And yes, this scenario would be many fans' worst nightmare.  Grin
It depends on how you look at it. Prior to BRI incorporation, they were the Beach Boys, but were "working for" Capitol.  When they stepped away and decided to be their own "bosses" ( very simplified ) I regard this as whomever was in that "group" at the table, with whatever terms they agreed to.  This doesn't factor in any particulars, but just who was part of that particular agreement. 

Stamos would be a fool, to give up his acting career, and abandon everything he has worked for for the last thirty-five or so years.  This guy is loved by fans. And, I think he is very comfortable with the best of both worlds. And whose "nightmare" counts, here? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

John adds his own sparkle to the shows.  And, frankly, the whole "glitch" looks like a tempest in a teapot.  And, he did the intros at Jones Beach which was subsequent to the Beacon Shows.  The Beach Boys are a "closed class" as I look through this lens.  It is BRI, until anything changes.  That looks doubtful.  They decided on whatever business model they envisioned in 1966-7. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »

Damn right.  As I said at the time, there is NO way Foskett wouldn't have been all OVER that vocal before anyone else noticed, then had Brian take it from there.  It's part of the man's job.  The fact that NO ONE but Uncle Jesse jumped in shows it was planned.

To the best of my knowledge, the list of singers on stage that night who have sung that song is... Brian Wilson. Sure, Jeff would have had his back knowing the words when that was part of the set list, but maybe not this time. Hell, Al Jardine muffed WIBN in Japan!

It was gig, what 9, of the tour? Still early enough for teething problems. I dump on Stamos along with most but it looked pretty genuine in this case.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

I'm just surprised that he didn't become an official member (though Full House definitely has something to do with it)

But I am glad he didn't become a official member. Especially after hearing his remake of Forever on SIP "shudder"
Dennis Wilson was rolling over in his grave because of that!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »

Ehhh...doubt it. There was a hurricane of the coast of Santa Monica! LOL
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:29:03 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx