gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:20:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #16 WINNER: TIME TO GET ALONE!!!  (Read 67188 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

Nearest Faraway Place
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »

It's amazing to me that as we go through these survivor rounds, the amount of folks saying I don't like this track or another.  Maybe just say I like this more than that.  This is The Beach Boys in the 1960's! They didn't make too many that I would say that about.  Nothing, nothing after 1963.  The Beach Boys were the GREATEST BAND of the 60's, certainly in America.  You can say The Beatles without too many raised eyebrows, but that's it.  In The World.  This is a board about the Beach Boys.  Everyday/today I read "oh, Bruce, he just Sucks" - NO he didn't.  "The Nearest Faraway Place" is gorgeous.  "Oh, Mike, he sucks" No he doesn't.  His vocal was perfect for "All I Want To Do."  Dennis, "Never Learn Not To Love" and ALL his tracks on this record are GREAT.  "Be With Me" is in my top five Dennis tracks ever.  Carl, was in total control on all the tracks he had the lead on.  I don't have to go too far into this to say it will be one of his to win this round, as "I went To Sleep" is already getting votes.
"Bluebirds..." - I'll give you that, it wouldn't have made it far for me either - I do like the live version better.  But it still is better than Cotton Fields (album version).
So that leaves me to vote for "Cotton Fields" yet again...But Al took this to a whole new level with the single version.
And again, could we stop saying that any Beach Boy sucks, please.  Go gentle on 'em.
This survivor stuff gets harder and harder...
EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:15:46 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

Nearest Far Away Place
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »

Can't believe Bluebirds was voted out first  Cry

Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »

Are you guys kidding? All I Want To Do is one of the most offensive pieces of music I've ever heard. While most Dennis songs simply bore me, All I Want To Do makes my ears bleed.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »

Everyday/today I read "oh, Bruce, he just Sucks" - NO he didn't.  "The Nearest Faraway Place" is gorgeous. Dennis, "Never Learn Not To Love" and ALL his tracks on this record are GREAT.  "Be With Me" is in my top five Dennis tracks ever.  Carl, was in total control on all the tracks he had the lead on.

Agreed. I don't think Bruce deserves the hate he gets on this forum. Nearest Faraway Place is one of his best songs, and an excellent instrumental. All of Dennis's tracks on this album is great, with two out of three ranking in my favourites. Never Learn Not To Love is criminally underrated, people should just forget about the Manson story and enjoy the song for what it is.

EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.

How do you know my name?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:59:01 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »

EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.

How do you know my name?

He has quite the memory for names.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »

Are you guys kidding? All I Want To Do is one of the most offensive pieces of music I've ever heard. While most Dennis songs simply bore me, All I Want To Do makes my ears bleed.
All I Want To Do is one of my favourite BB's tracks!

It's got IMHO Mike's best ever vocals, and it's possibly the hardest track the BB's did.
I know some fans don't like that as they are more into the traditional type of BB's music, but I'm very glad they did this.
It gives the BB's music more variety, which is another reason why I like Cottonfields, and the disco version of Here Comes The Night!

You often complain about Dennis's lyrics, and while the only one that I agree is really bad is Make It Good (I still love the song, because lyrics don't matter quite as much as the music!), the lyrics are quite decent on this song. It's not often that the BB's sing lyrics similar to that, at least this is more proof that they're not squares.
And the music itself? Oh don't get me started on how much I love it! I say Dennis should have done more songs like that, instead of moving on to love songs (which is good in it's own right). The music is exhilarating, it's badass, it's so awesome!

The MIC live version is even better, it should have become a concert staple instead of "shudder" Barbara Ann.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »

EDIT:  Went back and checked, "I Went To Sleep" hasn't actually got any votes yet.  Just Rei being Rei.  Great, let it win - I'm okay with that.

How do you know my name?

But not only have I never posted my name on and threads, no one else has
bluesno1fann
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »

Do It Again. There, I said it!
A very overrated single which I have literally never liked.
Give me Bluebirds, Nearest Faraway Place, Cottonfields, and especially the underrated classic All I Want To Do over Do It Again!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

How do you know my name?

Anyway, my name is Rei, and i'm 14 years old (turning 15 in less than a month). I am Australian, coming from Melbourne.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

How do you know my name?

Anyway, my name is Rei, and i'm 14 years old (turning 15 in less than a month). I am Australian, coming from Melbourne.

I stand corrected.
Didn't think many people even saw that welcome lol
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Oh and "Hey Little Tomboy" or "She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" isn't  Angry.  And how about all those other rock songs from that era that talk about same stuff  Angry

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »

All I Want To Do
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »

Oh and "Hey Little Tomboy" or "She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" isn't  Angry.  And how about all those other rock songs from that era that talk about same stuff  Angry

All I Want To Do is offensive mostly because of the delivery... it just sounds very forced. I like The Little Girl I Once Knew but don't know how it relates to All I Want To Do. Hey Little Tomboy is also bad but more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »

All I Want To Do is offensive mostly because of the delivery... it just sounds very forced. I like The Little Girl I Once Knew but don't know how it relates to All I Want To Do. Hey Little Tomboy is also bad but more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do.

Well the beach boys at the time this album was released were labeled as "uncool" and out of touch with mainstream rock music (as I'm sure you already know).  This song proves those who thought that wrong and it has way more of a "rock and roll" edge than "Hey Little Tomboy"  Undecided at a concert I would much rather hear them playing this live than that  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

Hey Little Tomboy is also bad but more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do.
I've got a feeling that with that comment, you lost your credibility
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

Hey Little Tomboy is also bad but more musically rewarding than All I Want To Do.

Yea of course because it's a Brian song  Roll Eyes

-Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »

Nearest Faraway Place

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »

I would have to agree with Gabo.

The chords are pretty standard, uninteresting stuff for "All I Want to Do." At least "Hey Little Tomboy" uses some interesting combinations and has some nice stuff going on.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »

I would have to agree with Gabo.

The chords are pretty standard, uninteresting stuff for "All I Want to Do." At least "Hey Little Tomboy" uses some interesting combinations and has some nice stuff going on.

....at least you can say that without attacking the songwriter and Brian got an early start composing, arranging, writing.  Give Denny some credit he was pretty much new at all that when this song came out  Undecided

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »

No.
In fact I always thought it was a Mike song lol.

Hey Little Tomboy is pretty uninteresting musically, and atrocious otherwise.
All I Want To Do is awesome and the chords work well on that.
And the bass line, it's just perfect!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »

No.
In fact I always thought it was a Mike song lol.

Hey Little Tomboy is pretty uninteresting musically, and atrocious otherwise.
All I Want To Do is awesome and the chords work well on that.
And the bass line, it's just perfect!

Thank you High Five

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »

Where did this notion that interesting chords all of a sudden make a song a "good" song come from? heck at the age of 22 Buddy Holly could write circles around both of the songs in question and only using standard chord changes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »

Where did this notion that interesting chords all of a sudden make a song a "good" song come from? heck at the age of 22 Buddy Holly could write circles around both of the songs in question and only using standard chord changes.
I second that!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx