gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:13:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview in HuffPost  (Read 133029 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 02:54:40 AM »

He did disapprove of the then-new material, even going so far as to say the infamous "don't f*** with the formula".

Actually, there's no evidence he ever said any such thing. Several researchers have tried to track down the original source of that remark, and failed. There's growing evidence it was actually a Capitol suit when they first heard the album.
That's a big surprise! Considering that it's possibly his most famous quote, this is quite shocking
bluesno1fann
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 02:55:56 AM »

It seems that quite a few of Mike's "wrong doings" are just myth. Was the formula quote common knowledge before the R&R Hall Of Fame speech? That speech seems to have been the catalyst for hatred of the Mike.

Did people hate (and I mean really hate, like what you see in every youtube comment) him before the speech?
Well I wasn't born until around 10 years after he made that speech, so I can't really comment on that.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:21 AM »

He did disapprove of the then-new material, even going so far as to say the infamous "don't f*** with the formula".

Actually, there's no evidence he ever said any such thing. Several researchers have tried to track down the original source of that remark, and failed. There's growing evidence it was actually a Capitol suit when they first heard the album.

Next thing you know Mike will be jerking it up posting on fan message boards slagging off people he doesn't know based on disinformation and stuff he imagines.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:01:28 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »

That's a big surprise! Considering that it's possibly his most famous quote, this is quite shocking

Correction - it's the most famous quote attributed to him. Doesn't mean it's true. I recently discovered two of my favorite Churchill quotes are totally spurious.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 04:07:55 AM »

Correction - it's the most famous quote attributed to him. Doesn't mean it's true. I recently discovered two of my favorite Churchill quotes are totally spurious.

Am I right in thinking that Van Dyke Parks has attributed this quote (or very similar) to Mike?

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:50 AM »

Yep, lets have ourselves a good old bit of Van Dyke Parks bashing instead.  LOL

Honestly, I have no real opinions either way, I am merely an observer and occasional sa-ti-ri-cal common-tater
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »

I think playing at seaworld is what humbled Mike in these recent months.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 04:22:00 AM »

Honestly, I have no real opinions either way, I am merely an observer and occasional sa-ti-ri-cal common-tater
You know, I never understood why people say bad things about Van Dyke Parks.
Judging on first impressions, he doesn't seem too bad to me.
Perhaps I don't know enough about him?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:07 AM »

Stick around. You may be lucky enough to witness history as it is actually re-written.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:00 AM »

Am I right in thinking that Van Dyke Parks has attributed this quote (or very similar) to Mike?

According to Peter Ames Carlin in Catch a Wave, it was Tony Asher who reported this one.

I'd like to add, though, that it's not clear what "formula" he's talking about, even if the quote is true.  Most people seem to assume that it's about the subject matter of the songs on Pet Sounds, but it's worth remembering the absence of "fun-in-the-sun" style songs on The Beach Boys Today!, the majority of whose lyrics were written by Mike himself.  For that reason, I've always wondered if the "formula" wasn't something more along the lines of a "you write the music, I write the lyrics" formula.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:34:45 AM by smilethebeachboysloveyou » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »

My first impression of him was awful. He was rude and spat all over me during dinner.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2013, 05:20:35 AM »

According to Peter Ames Carlin in Catch a Wave, it was Tony Asher who reported this one.

I'd like to add, though, that it's not clear what "formula" he's talking about, even if the quote is true.  Most people seem to assume that it's about the subject matter of the songs on Pet Sounds, but it's worth remembering the absence of "fun-in-the-sun" style songs on The Beach Boys Today!, the majority of whose lyrics were written by Mike himself.  For that reason, I've always wondered if the "formula" wasn't something more along the lines of a "you write the music, I write the lyrics" formula.

Exactly, no one in the group was still stuck on surf etc., it was passé. It could have been about the song/lyric/author formula but that formula too had long been f**cked out of formula-ness too hadn't it.

I thought "formula" notion was attributed to Anderle. No?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:21:41 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »

Cripes I don't want to start a VDP bashing thread… love the guy and his own music (and that SMaLL project (sp?) he worked on back in the ’60s) to bits, and on the three occasions I've met him he's been a treasure.

But I was trying to recollect what it was he said in the American Band movie about Mike's reaction to his lyrics… been a while since I've rewatched it.

That it was Tony Asher who reportedly coined the phrase (merci, smilethebeachboysloveyou) should hopefully quickly pour water on any VDP bashing, please…

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »

Lets stick to the Mike bashing.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 06:08:37 AM »

The Van Dyke bashing goes up and down depending on how much Brian's ass kissing he's currently making in the press.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »

You vixen!
Don't get angry and or jealous of the talent. It's rays shine brightly on you.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 06:30:20 AM »

You vixen!
Don't get angry and or jealous of the talent. It's rays shine brightly on you.
Yeah, the glare from the 20 rings he wears can be blinding.

SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:36 AM »

You are so firmly rooted in what is physical and in front of your face. You haven't felt the light of Love shine on you. I am not speaking of rings, but the feelings inside brought by the music.

I'll make you a mix tape to try and convey my feelings.

Also no, he humbles himself regardless of the venue he is spreading joy

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »

You are so firmly rooted in what is physical and in front of your face. You haven't felt the light of Love shine on you. I am not speaking of rings, but the feelings inside brought by the music.

I'll make you a mix tape to try and convey my feelings.

Also no, he humbles himself regardless of the venue he is spreading joy

You are first nominee in the "most likely to be Old Surfer Dude's new account" category
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »

…I am not speaking of rings, but the feelings inside brought by the music …

Stay clear of my rings and don't hurt my feelings, please…   LOL

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »

Lovester is always fighting an uphill PR battle due to his "track record". Yes the record probably holds it share of fallaices and exagerations (sorry no spell check) but the facts are just too overwhelming. More often than not the impression he manages to convey is: Im A Big Fake.

Im afraid he will go to his grave with this monkey on his back. A total 180 in his actions might turn things around for him but pretty words are not going to do trick.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2013, 07:14:02 AM »

"What's been your greatest struggle?" That was the specific question that Mike was asked when he responded, "To coexist while watching the people I love choose less than life-supporting paths via drugs, alcohol, or poor lifestyle decisions. There is so much to life; my heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction."

"Watching the people I love..." I question a lot of things that the Beach Boys say, more than most, but I don't find that phrase or word (love) insincere. Maybe I'm naive.

"My heart breaks watching someone held captive by addiction." We fans aren't even family or bandmates, and our hearts are broken by what happened to Dennis, Carl, and Brian. Well, mine is anyway. It is a human tragedy.

Brian Wilson has been asked that same question, or a very similar similar question, dozens of times. And, almost invariably, Brian has answered with "I wish I didn't take drugs..." Mike is merely echoing what Brian has said over and over. And, if Dennis would've survived and eventually recovered, I have a feeling he would've responded with a similar response.
Yes, Sheriff - I think that is all true, what you wrote.  And, don't doubt that there is sincerity, there, should anyone choose to check out a video where the next gen of Cal Saga gathered to sing, with Mike.  Funny, those kids of the late Wilsons did not disagree, because what Mike said is fact.  Objective fact.   And spinmeisters can talk trash all they like.  

There are still an "impaired" Carl onstage - who, could sing GOK in his sleep, like an angel, but was impaired.  And, Dennis losing his spot in the band as a direct result of his "impairment."  He was carried off the stage multiple times.  How much stress falls on those band members for their welfare and safety?  How long can you keep that up, with a band member high or drunk, having to keep a tour schedule, catch planes, and be a caregiver of sorts, sobering someone up, and continue working, with a back up drummer, and very disappointed fans?  Addiction treatment was not good at that time.  This is a 2013 lens applied to 1970's problems with substance abuse.  

Just about everyone on this planet is touched by one type of addiction, or behaviorial issue, in one's family.  Or extended family.  The entertainment industry has finally started to take responsibility for its decades of inaction with respect its' musicians, using drugs both to stay awake, fall asleep, jetlagged, exhausted from the road.  Too bad people didn't use natural stuff like melatonin back then. And, it is too late for those who are gone.  But, not for their kids.

Mike is facing it head-on, and, as usual, getting slammed.  
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »

Whenever Mike has an interview there's controversy. What's bothering people now?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »

Whenever Mike has an interview there's controversy. What's bothering people now?

His pickled human foetus collection
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:12 AM »

Seems like all I do anymore is defend ML.

Imagine that you are a member of a pro football team and you have a hell of a chance to make it to the Superbowl. Halfway through the season, your star running back, Dennis Jones starts missing practice, showing up for games after being up all night. His performance begins to suffer. You and your teammates pick up the slack but now, your quarterback  Brian Smith, decides that he doesn't want to play any away games. Your second string quarterback takes up the role but now your wide receiver, Carl Adams,  decides that he should experiment a little more with mind altering stuff so that he can see the ball better.

After a while, you realize that what could have been just isn't going to happen. Time to take the reins  of your own destiny and get some good quality people who, although good, can't quite match the original players.  You keep playing football and do the best you can with what you have. Yeah, you would love to have your old teammates back on your team, but two have gotten out of football altogether and the last expects to come back to the team as though nothing has happened and expects you to change the team you have assembled to better suit him.

I can't stand Mike, and I'd take BAD over Mike and Bruce any day, but this is the best analogy I've ever read.  I don't care how horrible a father Murry was-- I have no sympathy at all for the Wilson brothers for their drug use and its results.  Mike has every right to still be pissed about that.  

At the same time, if any of the Mike bashing bothers him (and I see no indication that it does), he has nobody to blame but himself.  Piss into the wind and you're going to get wet.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx