gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 12:09:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview in HuffPost  (Read 134006 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

One or two of the more informed posters have said before that Mike honestly doesn't give a sh*t what people have to say about him.

I'm not an insider but even I know that's not true.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

One or two of the more informed posters have said before that Mike honestly doesn't give a sh*t what people have to say about him.

Sure, but you like ripping him, so of course you don't want that to be true. Think of all the hours you would have wasted were it true and I'm not saying that it isn't. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »

This is an honest question: Do you think it's possible that ML employs a small contingent of people to defend him online? To 100% stick up for what he does/says when criticism happens? Obviously he knows that he has a rabid anti-fanbase of haters. I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, just wondering if this is a conceivable scenario.

Mike was paying me $5,000 a year to rabidly defend his every action on every Beach Boys website, and label anyone who didn't agree with everything he said "Mike bashers" and to point out that he wrote Kokomo without Brian and that any Beach Boys song without Mike lyrics was too melancholy and needed the upbeat emotional connection to the listener that only Mike's words could provide.  But I decided the money wasn't nearly enough to spread those lies and I broke the contract.  I'm now being sued by Mike for $100,000 for breach of contract and for using the name Beach Boys in a message board post without his permission.

Oh yeah. That's it. Why should the Brianistas/Mikebashers make all the dough?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »

Sure, but you like ripping him, so of course you don't want that to be true. Think of all the hours you would have wasted were it true and I'm not saying that it isn't. Wink

What people say against Mike, including me, is not unprovoked.

The man has an amazing ability to put his foot in mouth and just piss people off. He lives on Planet Mike and I consider it my job to talk some reality when somebody posts the next ridiculous Mike interview. Mike Love is quite simply insane, or else we're all insane and he's the only sane one.

"Give me my doooooooo's"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »

This is an honest question: Do you think it's possible that ML employs a small contingent of people to defend him online? To 100% stick up for what he does/says when criticism happens? Obviously he knows that he has a rabid anti-fanbase of haters. I'm not pointing the finger at anybody specifically, just wondering if this is a conceivable scenario.

I've heard of other major artists who read messageboards and get royally pissed over internet sh*t-talkers, and sometimes personally even get into online pissing matches with random haters in cyberspace. I don't think ML would bother with getting involved himself, but I just wonder if he has ever slipped a few bucks, or leaned on people in a "favor" capacity to be his uber defenders.

And yes, I know that some people just respond with a knee-jerk reaction to defend him, to counter the oodles of ML misinformation that has permeated for years. And they have the right to do that, if they feel that his actions can be found to be legitimately defensible.

But that being said... I still ask my above question.

Honest response - I really, really doubt it. My rationale ? If there's folk going to do it for free, why pay anyone ? Also, can you possibly imagine the shitstorm that would descend if he did, and it was uncovered ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »

People don't really care when news organizations do it, I doubt they'd get worked up if it transpires that some guy who plays SeaWorld paid a PR firm for online puffery. The folks who do it for free would probably just praise his business savvy and mastery of social media!

If he was paying, Jesus Christ -- they sure aren't doing a good job! Get those numbers up, people. Keep Kokomo on all our lips!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:23:08 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

A quote from Oldsurferdude:

wanna stay on this board? It's easy-just don't say anything negative about the lovester. He is a wonderful man who has a great voice and and is a true artist. He will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time far surpassing Frank Sinatra in phrasing, voice and charisma. Really.

Yup! And now OSD is permanently banned for criticizing the luvster.

Think you'll find he was banned for a few other things, the main one very likely being his boring the ass off of 90% of this forum with his juvenile, repetitive posts. He had repeated warnings, as I recall but elected to persist in playing the mentally handicapped person. Just as he has all over YouTube, in case anyone thinks his drivel was reserved exclusively for here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »

People don't really care when news organizations do it, I doubt they'd get worked up if it transpires that some guy who plays SeaWorld paid a PR firm for online puffery. The folks who do it for free would probably just praise his business savvy and mastery of social media!

If he was paying, Jesus Christ -- they sure aren't doing a good job! Get those numbers up, people. Keep Kokomo on all our lips!

The Brianistas & Blooies would have a field day, and you know it !  Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »

I'd be a little sad! I imagine those fellas all looking like Mike Love behind the keyboard: baldness, baseball cap, and everything. It'd make me depressed to contemplate a cubicle drone punching the clock instead! Where's the fun in that, I ask you?

Incidentally, I'm eating cheeseburgers, snorting coke, and growing a massive beard while typing this. Tinted blue.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:31:41 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »

A quote from Oldsurferdude:

wanna stay on this board? It's easy-just don't say anything negative about the lovester. He is a wonderful man who has a great voice and and is a true artist. He will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time far surpassing Frank Sinatra in phrasing, voice and charisma. Really.

Yup! And now OSD is permanently banned for criticizing the luvster.

Think you'll find he was banned for a few other things, the main one very likely being his boring the ass off of 90% of this forum with his juvenile, repetitive posts. He had repeated warnings, as I recall but elected to persist in playing the mentally handicapped person. Just as he has all over YouTube, in case anyone thinks his drivel was reserved exclusively for here.

Throwing stones in glass houses AGD?  Many of your posts bore me. Many of mine, most, are utter bores. OSD was always joking, trying to be funny. He was always entertaining in my book. Too bad many didn't get the joke.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »

One-trick ponies get very stale, very quickly, especially when that one trick is born out of true spite and anger. That he is no longer welcome here is the measure of exactly how "funny" he was.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »

Possibly helping to name Pet Sounds. - That's great, Mike, but you didn't write Pet Sounds.

Helping with the lyrical direction of the bridge to Back In The U.S.S.R. - That's great, Mike, but it's hardly Penny Lane. It's Paul McCartney doing a pastiche of an early, formulaic Beach Boys sound that Mike could write in his sleep.

Kokomo was a #1 record!!! - Okay, Mike was a co-writer (responsible for the chorus only) and it was on the soundtrack of a fairly successful movie (which it was written for) that helped propel it to #1. It's a good pop song, but not exactly a high watermark of creativity for the Beach Boys that we look back on.  

Now, those three accomplishments are significantly more impressive than anything I've ever accomplished and I don't mean to take anything away from his life's work. But, he tends to share these three accomplishments in interviews and on-stage as if they somehow put him on equal creative footing with Brian. It sounds ridiculous to anyone that has even a modicum of knowledge about the Beach Boys creative output and more importantly, makes Mike appear to be overcompensating.

If all he talked about was his commitment to touring 100+ shows a year, being one of the most recognizable frontmen in rock and roll history, regularly making himself available to fans, his considerable amount of charitable work and the attention that he has brought to environmental causes, no one would have any problem with that (provided he does so with humble tone!). He should be very comfortable and proud of his life's work. He's the lead singer (and occasional lyricist) on music that helped define a time and a place in history. He's one of very few people that can say that in this world. Isn't that enough? But don't talk about writing the chorus to Kokomo as your big life achievement. Don't talk about possibly naming Pet Sounds as though it's a great artistic achievement that we should be stroking our chins to and saying, "Ah, that Mike Love, he's pretty clever with the words."

His obsession with those accomplishments in particular often overshadows all of the other very impressive and respectable things that he has done in his career which is a shame.

Now, the way he talks about the Wilson's addiction problems to the point of disparaging them, while glossing over the underlying causes (mental health problems and abusive parenting), is a different conversation altogether...

The above post is EXACTLY why I am a Mike "apologist" ..... We can't have five minutes around here without someone stating, as though it's all being said for the very first time, stuff like above, and the silly carousel keeps on turning.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:36:13 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »

One-trick ponies get very stale, very quickly, especially when that one trick is born out of true spite and anger. That he is no longer welcome here is the measure of exactly how "funny" he was.

This is really the pot calling the kettle..... As I recall, you have been banned multiple times and all those rolled into '2 strikes'. And, you might admit, all stemming from your angry attacks on people. Hang onto your ego dude  Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »

He was a true fan who went to BBs shows for over 40 years, bought sunflower when it came out, and was always willing to tell BBs stories when asked.

There was no truer fan than oldsurferdude, the whole reason he didn't take a liking to Mike Love was he saw Mike's bad behavior and stage hogging in real time.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »

I think the main problem or question us Mike Lovers/apologists ect have with the Mike bashers is : OK, Mike's an asshole (according to your terms) ..... so then what? Now what? Why does it have to be stated over and over and over again and why do a few statements and hearsay from 40+ years ago deserve such hard scholarly labor? I hardly think Mike cares if anyone/everyone thinks he's an asshole, so why should you? In fact, not every Beach Boys fan gives a damn if he's an asshole or not. In fact, him being such an asshole is part of the fun.... It would be different if Brian's story hadn't had a pretty damn happy ending (as of now) .... I mean, the guy gets nothing but honors, platitudes, and applause. I mean, how many other rock stars can get adoring, teary eyed standing ovations for basically just sitting there and hardly singing?  I mean, remember Whitney Houston getting slammed left and right for actually giving it her damn best live but not being completely note perfect?? And she WAS SINGING! Not knocking Brian, but I'm simply pointing out that there is no damn reason at all to feel sorry for Brian Wilson here in 2013. And part of feeling sorry for Brian has created this cottage industry of hating on Mike Love! Hating on a person who had an awful lot to do with Brian being in a band that you ever heard of in the first place. Sure, you can argue over songwriting credits and belittle all you want, but the guy played a huge huge role in creating the space for Brian to become your adored and fawned over Buddha. You don't have to like the guy, but maybe just relax a bit with the vitriol.

In the end, Brian and Mike are family and friends, and have a special history together than you don't have with either of them. Bashing Mike is bashing Brian in a large part, as also it's bashing Dennis, Carl, Dave, and Al, Bruce as well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:50:18 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »

Because it's funny. You said it right there: him being such an asshole is part of the fun!

Bashing Mike is bashing Brian in a large part, as also it's bashing Dennis, Carl, Dave, and Al, Bruce as well.

Why stop there? Bashing Mike is like bashing America, freedom, the beach, oceans in general, kittens, Israelis AND Palestinians, your beloved grandma, Tesla cars, Tesla coils, and the band Tesla. It's a bit too late to de-asshole him, tho.  

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:03:29 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »

Possibly helping to name Pet Sounds. - That's great, Mike, but you didn't write Pet Sounds.

Helping with the lyrical direction of the bridge to Back In The U.S.S.R. - That's great, Mike, but it's hardly Penny Lane. It's Paul McCartney doing a pastiche of an early, formulaic Beach Boys sound that Mike could write in his sleep.

Kokomo was a #1 record!!! - Okay, Mike was a co-writer (responsible for the chorus only) and it was on the soundtrack of a fairly successful movie (which it was written for) that helped propel it to #1. It's a good pop song, but not exactly a high watermark of creativity for the Beach Boys that we look back on.  

Now, those three accomplishments are significantly more impressive than anything I've ever accomplished and I don't mean to take anything away from his life's work. But, he tends to share these three accomplishments in interviews and on-stage as if they somehow put him on equal creative footing with Brian. It sounds ridiculous to anyone that has even a modicum of knowledge about the Beach Boys creative output and more importantly, makes Mike appear to be overcompensating.

If all he talked about was his commitment to touring 100+ shows a year, being one of the most recognizable frontmen in rock and roll history, regularly making himself available to fans, his considerable amount of charitable work and the attention that he has brought to environmental causes, no one would have any problem with that (provided he does so with humble tone!). He should be very comfortable and proud of his life's work. He's the lead singer (and occasional lyricist) on music that helped define a time and a place in history. He's one of very few people that can say that in this world. Isn't that enough? But don't talk about writing the chorus to Kokomo as your big life achievement. Don't talk about possibly naming Pet Sounds as though it's a great artistic achievement that we should be stroking our chins to and saying, "Ah, that Mike Love, he's pretty clever with the words."

His obsession with those accomplishments in particular often overshadows all of the other very impressive and respectable things that he has done in his career which is a shame.

Now, the way he talks about the Wilson's addiction problems to the point of disparaging them, while glossing over the underlying causes (mental health problems and abusive parenting), is a different conversation altogether...

The above post is EXACTLY why I am a Mike "apologist" ..... We can't have five minutes around here without someone stating, as though it's all being said for the very first time, stuff like above, and the silly carousel keeps on turning.

Surely five minutes had passed between my posting and someone else posting the same things?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »

Surely five minutes had passed between my posting and someone else posting the same things?

The "five minutes" part was rhetorical....... But give it a few.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

What I don't get is why accentuating the negative is so enjoyed by a few Brian Wilson fans when the man is having the most productive year of his solo career, or possibly even his entire career. Three albums in the pipe, a megastar supergroup double bill show with most of the Beach Boys not named Love and Johnston, a major biographical movie, and an autobiography in the works. If the reunion tour had continued, many of those things would not be happening due to time spent doing that tour. Why dwell on interviews with Mike Love, or the fact that the reunion tour didn't continue? 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

What I don't get is why accentuating the negative is so enjoyed by a few Brian Wilson fans when the man is having the most productive year of his solo career, or possibly even his entire career. Three albums in the pipe, a megastar supergroup double bill show with most of the Beach Boys not named Love and Johnston, a major biographical movie, and an autobiography in the works. If the reunion tour had continued, many of those things would not be happening due to time spent doing that tour. Why dwell on interviews with Mike Love, or the fact that the reunion tour didn't continue? 

Exactly! And even when the reunion tour was in full swing, there were "fans" too concerned with noting how much more applause Brian got over Mike to truly enjoy the moment..... 

I want to clarify: making fun of Mike is one thing and is usually hilarious, but it's the trying to historically "prove" (for whatever vague reward) that Mike is an asshole is what gets me. Move on, man. It's been almost 50 years....... Brian's moved on.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

Exactly! And even when the reunion tour was in full swing, there were "fans" too concerned with noting how much more applause Brian got over Mike to truly enjoy the moment.....  

I want to clarify: making fun of Mike is one thing and is usually hilarious, but it's the trying to historically "prove" (for whatever vague reward) that Mike is an asshole is what gets me. Move on, man. It's been almost 50 years....... Brian's moved on.

I can't speak for anyone else but I wasn't trying to prove that Mike's an asshole. I was trying to prove that he has had an incredible life with unbelievable accomplishments, too often harping on the wrong things (IMO) when talking. Both he and Brian tend to be on auto-pilot when reflecting on their careers and accomplishments. It's a shame that we don't get more depth out of them. I'd be curious to read the rest of the interview that this was excerpted from to see what else he has to say.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:20:18 PM by ToneBender631 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

Exactly again! I don't understand the Mike Love haters. They repeatedly say that Brian is better off WITHOUT Mike, yet they were/are devastated because the reunion didn't continue WITH BRIAN AND MIKE, TOGETHER IN THE SAME GROUP, SHARING A STAGE AND SHARING A STUDIO. What is the term for wanting it both ways? Contradictory? Hypocritical? Illogical? If Mike Love is such a no-talent, divisive asshole, why would you want Brian to continue being in the same band with him? 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »

Who exactly are you arguing with that has that position, tho? Then they could answer your questions.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

Who exactly are you arguing with that has that position, tho? Then they could answer your questions.

I thought my post was pretty clear. Sorry. I'll try to make it clearer.

Since the end of the reunion, there have been endless posts and shots aimed at Mike for supposedly, prematurely ending the BB reunion. An overwhelming number of these posts were written by Mike haters/Brian lovers. An overwhelming number of those posters also opined that Brian Wilson is better off without Mike Love, both in concert and in the studio. If that is what they believe - and that is how I interpret their opinions - then they should be happy that the reunion is over - AND THANKING MIKE! Brian is now free from Mike Love! In my opinion, wanting the reunion to continue, with Brian and Mike in the same band, and at the same time wanting Brian Wilson far, far away from Mike Love, is hypocritical.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »

I thought my post was pretty clear. Sorry. I'll try to make it clearer.

Since the end of the reunion, there have been endless posts and shots aimed at Mike for supposedly, prematurely ending the BB reunion. An overwhelming number of these posts were written by Mike haters/Brian lovers. An overwhelming number of those posters also opined that Brian Wilson is better off without Mike Love, both in concert and in the studio. If that is what they believe - and that is how I interpret their opinions - then they should be happy that the reunion is over - AND THANKING MIKE! Brian is now free from Mike Love! In my opinion, wanting the reunion to continue, with Brian and Mike in the same band, and at the same time wanting Brian Wilson far, far away from Mike Love, is hypocritical.

I think many people, even if they have major issues with the Lovester, still think that his place in the band (and Bruce, who by default is also MIA when ML is MIA from the full BBs) gives the project a deeper, emotional meaning, and adds something positive of value to the project (or at least has the potential to be positive). I think that some people are disappointed that ML isn't working with BW in a capacity that lets BW call most of the shots around here. I don't believe the BBs are meant to be a full democracy. Few bands are.

BW missed the way he used to call the shots, and, in my estimation, he started getting back into a position with C50, just to get the itch where maybe he felt (despite opposition, like ML's gunshot-to-the-head analogy to the 3 best songs on the album) that he would be able to be the "boss" of the BBs again. Not in a negative way, but in a way that lets the guy who is the monster artist of the group be the leader. But a new BB "boss" was/is in town. The rules had changed. I suppose they'd really first changed way back when BW withdrew back in the late 60s.

Yes, it's a complex and contradictory situation especially with the BRI voting clause. But still, in a nutshell, that's how I see why some people (BW lovers) want ML + Bruce to be back with BW, as long as it's BW's way to a large extent. And why is this a bad thing? After all, BW getting his way only gave us the best music of his career, like PS.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:13:43 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx