gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:56:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you consider to be the worst song of all-time?  (Read 45523 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »

for me it wasn't about his song choices it was the fact that he disrespected Dennis himself and since Dennis isn't here to defend himself MessofHelp and I were.  we've both made it clear already that we realized that the spamming was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that his insults were wrong.  Those threads are about the songs not about "how bad and talentless Dennis is"

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »

for me it wasn't about his song choices it was the fact that he disrespected Dennis himself and since Dennis isn't here to defend himself MessofHelp and I were.  we've both made it clear already that we realized that the spamming was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that his insults were wrong.  Those threads are about the songs not about "how bad and talentless Dennis is"
Exactly!
Also you might want to check this out:

Some unpopular opinions of mine:

Dennis wasn't as good a songwriter as many Beach Boys fans make him out to be.
Ricky and Blondie did not make meaningful contributions to the group, at all.
On that note, Holland is a bad album. Not because it's incompetent, but because it is boring.
Love You is the best Beach Boys album after Pet Sounds.
Pet Sounds, though, is the only essential Beach Boys LP.
Beach Boy music is actually good for the beach, barbeques, and cruises.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »

Dennis doesn't need defending, his music and legacy speak for itself.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »

See here's the thing: that is his Gabo's opinion and he is entitled to it. You can't appoint yourself as Dennis own Taliban and feel you need to declare sharia law because his belief offends you and you feel like you have stamp it out.

But I also understand that you are still very young and with belief comes passion and no amount of preaching from guys like me is going to sway you because until you mature a bit it will be an "us vs them" type thing .... until you grow out of that and realize there is no "us vs them"; there is just people who are turned on and off by different things and that is ok - though some may people speak with little tact from time it time.

Amen Smile Brian.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2014, 09:12:34 PM »

that's right he does have a legacy. unfortunately some people are too close minded to realize it, either that or they just feel the need to hate him for no reason Undecided
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:13:54 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

that's right he does have a legacy. unfortunately some people are too close minded to realize it, either that or they just feel the need to hate him for no reason Undecided
+1

See here's the thing: that is his Gabo's opinion and he is entitled to it. You can't appoint yourself as Dennis own Taliban and feel you need to declare sharia law because his belief offends you and you feel like you have stamp it out.

But I also understand that you are still very young and with belief comes passion and no amount of preaching from guys like me is going to sway you because until you mature a bit it will be an "us vs them" type thing .... until you grow out of that and realize there is no "us vs them"; there is just people who are turned on and off by different things and that is ok - though some may people speak with little tact from time it time.

Amen Smile Brian.
It's not like we're little 7 year olds  LOL
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:55 PM »

I never understand comments like these. Obviously this isn't true if some people dislike his music! And I do not think a legacy is something which "speaks for itself," rather a legacy is something created, maintained and defended (as well as the converse) by critics and historians.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2014, 09:18:54 PM »

It's not like we're little 7 year olds  LOL

Exactly the response I would expect from a kid... Oh ok... A teenager, if you like the distinction. Wink
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

Amen Smile Brian.

wouldn't you agree that an opinion can go too far sometimes?  he went too far with his "exalting Dennis" comment.  He could've just attacked the song without attacking the person, especially since the person didn't deserve it.  even Mike Love doesn't deserve all the hate he gets  Undecided
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:25:54 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »

But the thing is, Dennis' early stuff wasn't good compared to his later stuff. Same with the early BBs stuff compared to the glories of 1965 to 1967.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »

But the thing is, Dennis' early stuff wasn't good compared to his later stuff. Same with the early BBs stuff compared to the glories of 1965 to 1967.
Granted, the early BB's weren't nearly as good as they were from 1966 to 1973.
But even Denny's early songs are great. You can say Denny was a very talented songwriter from the very beginning in 1968
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »

he went too far with his "exalting Dennis" comment

Okay, this isn't even attacking Dennis. This is him making a comment (that I can sort of see where' he coming from with) about the way Dennis is treated around these parts. He has become "sacred cow" in these recent times and he's just pointing that out.

How many other people have you noticed around here that genuinely don't like Dennis, or his music, much?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »

Okay, this isn't even attacking Dennis. This is him making a comment (that I can sort of see where' he coming from with) about the way Dennis is treated around these parts. He has become "sacred cow" in these recent times and he's just pointing that out.

How many other people have you noticed around here that genuinely don't like Dennis, or his music, much?

Other than Gabo, can't really think of anyone else.
But like it or not, Dennis remains underrated in the casual BB's fandom, and especially in the general public.
Granted for the most part he is treated much better here
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »

Dennis is a respected guy in the BBs fandom, no need to drag SS down defending him.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

"sacred cow"?  If anything Brian's the "sacred cow" (and I love Brian and his music don't get me wrong).  I know people out there like his stuff but a lot that I've read that have to do with Dennis are either alcoholism, womanizing, or Charles Manson how is that treating him like a "sacred cow"?  Huh and maybe they've been giving him more attention recently is because of the 30th anniversary of his death

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »

"sacred cow"?  If anything Brian's the "sacred cow" (and I love Brian and his music don't get me wrong).  I know people out there like his stuff but a lot that I've read that have to do with Dennis are either alcoholism, womanizing, or Charles Manson how is that treating him like a "sacred cow"?  Huh and maybe they've been giving him more attention recently is because of the 30th anniversary of his death

Great Point. Not to mention how while a lot of the things said about Dennis is very positive, there's still a lot of things said about him which is quite negative
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:07:40 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »

Great Point. Not to mention how while a lot of the things said about Dennis is very positive, there's still a lot of things said about him which is quite negative

"sacred cow"?  If anything Brian's the "sacred cow" (and I love Brian and his music don't get me wrong).  I know people out there like his stuff but a lot that I've read that have to do with Dennis are either alcoholism, womanizing, or Charles Manson how is that treating him like a "sacred cow"?  Huh and maybe they've been giving him more attention recently is because of the 30th anniversary of his death

I know right "sacred cow"? I don't know which statement was worse  Undecided

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »

You know how many copies POB sold when it was first released right?

And you know how many it sold when it was recently reissued...right?

Dennis is not underrated, so I don't know why you think he is. Your constant posting in his 'defense' has almost become trolling.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »

are you serious
bluesno1fann
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »

Dennis is not underrated, so I don't know why you think he is. Your constant posting in his 'defense' has almost become trolling.
I meant to the General Public and the Casual BB's fans
bluesno1fann
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »

"sacred cow"?  If anything Brian's the "sacred cow" (and I love Brian and his music don't get me wrong).  I know people out there like his stuff but a lot that I've read that have to do with Dennis are either alcoholism, womanizing, or Charles Manson how is that treating him like a "sacred cow"?  Huh and maybe they've been giving him more attention recently is because of the 30th anniversary of his death

I know right "sacred cow"? I don't know which statement was worse  Undecided

are you serious

Face It, Brian Wilson is the sacred cow of the BB's, and for good reason.
He's a genius and he wrote the BB's best work, hands down.

Dennis Wilson is more of a Underdog, or the Black Sheep, sadly. He is NOT a Sacred Cow!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:11:35 PM by MessOfHelp101 » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »

are you serious

Yes, I am. I don't get how you don't see how that comment was in horrible taste. Huh

-Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »

Dennis is respected in BBs fandom , he only needs defense from Jon stebbins, howie edelson, and Ed Roach on serious topics

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »

I know right "sacred cow"? I don't know which statement was worse  Undecided

are you serious

Face It, Brian Wilson is the sacred cow of the BB's, and for good reason.
He's a genius and he wrote the BB's best work, hands down.

Dennis Wilson is more of a Underdog, or the Black Sheep, sadly. He is NOT a Sacred Cow!

Thank You! he said it himself he was the duck born with two chickens.  Angry

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »

I meant to the General Public and the Casual BB's fans

I know what you meant. The general public bought all of those copies of POB. The only BB solo album that may have sold more copies than POB would be BWPS.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx