gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:56:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 73546 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »

Any Canadian fans located these in our Target stores here?  I have had no luck in Calgary, Alberta so far...

I have looked in 3 Target stores in Indiana and no soap.

Cant find Retail packs in retail stores. Go figure.  Roll Eyes
Bloomington's Target has retail cards.

You think if I asked nicely, I could get a display box when the packs are all done and sold?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »

Any Canadian fans located these in our Target stores here?  I have had no luck in Calgary, Alberta so far...

You think if I asked nicely, I could get a display box when the packs are all done and sold?

I'll go to the store and ask for the box; then we can talk about it...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »

Thanks but, So far away... like too far to go for trading cards.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

Unreal. From a market-value angle, the card isn't even worth that, with the autograph. But again, the emotion of someone who doesn't have access being able to buy and own an autographed Brian Wilson trading card pretty much trumps any level of realistic value on items like this. But seriously, that's just a bit much for a "ready-made" collectible item versus, say, an autographed album. And the values assumed can be easily inflated in general beyond any realistic market value, just sayin'.

I think the "draw" is the remote possibility of getting an Autograph for $2.99 - and some people will get lucky.

If I get one, I will pay thru the nose, probably.

Has anyone seen the Concert Gear "buttons" yet? The back of the Hobby box says there is supposed to be 20 button cards.

I guess after the shirts are all cut up the buttons will be released?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:40:02 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
ben plumbrook
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

I bought a set of the basic cards for $40 on ebay. An autograph may be cool but I really just want to see the pictures chosen.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »

I really think the pictures chosen are fantastic. Surprised to see some really cool photos from the 1970's. I think Dennis is really well represented which is really nice. Carl, too.

I really like the guitar pick cards which only seem to be available in the retail boxes. It looks like one pick per box.

The 'hobby' boxes have two 'gear' cards per box. Nice. I'm not a trading card person but I noticed they are doing the same type of clothing/swatch thing with baseball cards.

I've been to 4 or 5  Target stores in my area and only 2 stores had the cards. Maybe the others will have the cards at a later date. It looks like one box per store and they open the boxes. If you want an entire box with all 24 packs you have to get there the same day or be lucky that no one bought any packs. I found a full box at a Target and couldn't pass it up. Got a Al Jardine pick.

The set represents the Beach Boys 50 (or 51) years really well.  No Ricky or Blonde, though.

There is a card with a current photo of Brian and David, and on the back I think it mentions Brian's 2013 tour. I have to go back and look at that. Makes it all very current and up to date. This set wasn't releases last year for the 50th probably because they wanted to use photos from the BB50 tour along with the clothing relics.

The big thrill is serching for those autograph cards!

I'll scan some of the cards and post them here on this thread this weekend.

Ebay is an option for the 'hobby' box. Blowout Cards is probably the best choice.

The Beatles and the Monkees had trading cards in the 1960's. Nice to see the Beach Boys have their trading cards now.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »

If you want the display box from Target just wait till the box is low on cards. Buy the remaining cards in the box and take the box along. Tell the clerk you want the box. They'll give it to you because you bought the remaining packs.

If you buy a complete box open the packs by cutting a slice on the back, near the bottom of the pack. You can slide your cards out and put the empty packs back in the box. Looks like a full box and make a nice collectable display piece. (I still want that 15 Big Ones store display that I saw at a National Record Mart back in 1976!!!!)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »

If you want the display box from Target just wait till the box is low on cards. Buy the remaining cards in the box and take the box along. Tell the clerk you want the box. They'll give it to you because you bought the remaining packs.

If you buy a complete box open the packs by cutting a slice on the back, near the bottom of the pack. You can slide your cards out and put the empty packs back in the box. Looks like a full box and make a nice collectable display piece. (I still want that 15 Big Ones store display that I saw at a National Record Mart back in 1976!!!!)

what did the 15 Big Ones display look like? 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »

Unreal. From a market-value angle, the card isn't even worth that, with the autograph. But again, the emotion of someone who doesn't have access being able to buy and own an autographed Brian Wilson trading card pretty much trumps any level of realistic value on items like this. But seriously, that's just a bit much for a "ready-made" collectible item versus, say, an autographed album. And the values assumed can be easily inflated in general beyond any realistic market value, just sayin'.

I think the "draw" is the remote possibility of getting an Autograph for $2.99 - and some people will get lucky.

Has anyone seen the Concert Gear "buttons" yet? The back of the Hobby box says there is supposed to be 20 button cards.

I didn't mean buying the packs of cards, that's what it's all about! The only thing missing is the stale gum.  Smiley  I meant that Ebay auction posted here where as of yesterday the bids for a Brian card were over 110 dollars. I think that kills the fun aspect of it, and the whole random/chance element that I used to love more as a kid buying the packs of baseball cards rather than paying a dealer x-amount for a single card.

Again, I understand why the bidding price would go so high for a Brian autograph card insert, but I just can't see it as the value isn't there as a ready-made collectible.

I know it's extreme, but imagine someone selling scratch-off lottery tickets where you knew it was a $1,000 winning ticket, and you'd pay $1,100 for that same ticket for the thrill of owning a 1000 winner.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »

I didn't mean buying the packs of cards, that's what it's all about! The only thing missing is the stale gum.  Smiley  I meant that Ebay auction posted here where as of yesterday the bids for a Brian card were over 110 dollars. I think that kills the fun aspect of it, and the whole random/chance element that I used to love more as a kid buying the packs of baseball cards rather than paying a dealer x-amount for a single card.

Again, I understand why the bidding price would go so high for a Brian autograph card insert, but I just can't see it as the value isn't there as a ready-made collectible.

I know it's extreme, but imagine someone selling scratch-off lottery tickets where you knew it was a $1,000 winning ticket, and you'd pay $1,100 for that same ticket for the thrill of owning a 1000 winner.  Grin

Unfortunately, eBay is full of things that kill the fun of collecting. So many things are artificially inflated. That's what Ebay feeds off of.

To buy into these cards is to accept and/or divorce oneself from the underlying issue that these cards and that whole industry is largely a manipulative scam. I'm enjoying the cards knowing I'll probably never see one of the rare ones.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

Unfortunately, eBay is full of things that kill the fun of collecting. So many things are artificially inflated. That's what Ebay feeds off of.

To buy into these cards is to accept and/or divorce oneself from the underlying issue that these cards and that whole industry is largely a manipulative scam. I'm enjoying the cards knowing I'll probably never see one of the rare ones.

Good points, ultimately that's what it's all about, and if you're enjoying it that's why you do it! I agree, there is still a thrill in opening those packs that takes me back to the baseball card days, when a cello pack of Topps went for 49 cents or something, and I'd be hoping to get all the Phillies from that year. Price guides weren't as vital as the fun in collecting them, when the price guides became most important that's when the hobby lost the fun for me.

And remember the wax packs? The reason why current cards come in those airtight foil wrappers was partially due to the crooked dealers who would open the wax packs, take out all the valuable cards, replace them with commons, and sometimes literally iron the packs back together to sell them to unsuspecting kids. That kind of thing killed it.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Good points, ultimately that's what it's all about, and if you're enjoying it that's why you do it! I agree, there is still a thrill in opening those packs that takes me back to the baseball card days, when a cello pack of Topps went for 49 cents or something, and I'd be hoping to get all the Phillies from that year. Price guides weren't as vital as the fun in collecting them, when the price guides became most important that's when the hobby lost the fun for me.

And remember the wax packs? The reason why current cards come in those airtight foil wrappers was partially due to the crooked dealers who would open the wax packs, take out all the valuable cards, replace them with commons, and sometimes literally iron the packs back together to sell them to unsuspecting kids. That kind of thing killed it.  Smiley

Dang it all!!  I must be following a crooked dealer who has figured a way to open the "airtight foil wrappers" and reclose them!  I hit a different Target today and bought 4 of the wider-feeling packs; Nothing special in them, no autoigraphs or swatches or anything, just the darn blank white spacer( which I think was inserted to take up space in the boxes, so the packs fill the space without slipping around)   But probably they were already opened and had all the good stuff replaced... 
In any case, as neat as the pictures on some of the cards are, I'm done buying these things. I'm not getting anything super from them... 

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »

Dang it all!!  I must be following a crooked dealer who has figured a way to open the "airtight foil wrappers" and reclose them!  I hit a different Target today and bought 4 of the wider-feeling packs; Nothing special in them, no autoigraphs or swatches or anything, just the darn blank white spacer( which I think was inserted to take up space in the boxes, so the packs fill the space without slipping around)   But probably they were already opened and had all the good stuff replaced... 
In any case, as neat as the pictures on some of the cards are, I'm done buying these things. I'm not getting anything super from them... 

The same thing happened to me when I found a open box at the first store I went to. There were maybe 5 or 6 thick packs and I bought them but the thick cards were all blanks. Whoever bought before me either got lucky or knew what he was doing. These 'card dealers' know how to find the good stuff. I don't doubt that there are 'trade secrets ' in the card collecting industry. I don't think people are opening packs and resealing them. The boxes are shrink wrapped from Panini. I think maybe  a seasoned trading card dealer knows what packs to pull out.

I found a full open box at a Target and bought the whole box. There seem to be seven 'thick' packs in a box. In my box one of those  seven contained a guitar pick card.

No autographs, yet. Your gonna have to be very lucky to pull one of those out. The numbers are so few.

The cards are very nice for a fan to have and yes, the fun part is opening the packs and looking for the 'special' cards. Just like looking for your home team back when you bought baseball or football cards.

Yeah, I'm broke untill next payday...  Thud  LOL

It's very addictive. I'll be tempted to go look and buy each time I'm in Target.

Again, these cards are really nice. I'd like to know whose idea this was. Someone from Panini or someone in the Beach Boys camp? Nice job!

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »

(I still want that 15 Big Ones store display that I saw at a National Record Mart back in 1976!!!!)

Does that store display look like this??

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »

(I still want that 15 Big Ones store display that I saw at a National Record Mart back in 1976!!!!)

Yes, please, Inquiring minds want to know!  is the pictured displayed the one? 

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2013, 04:53:20 AM »

I just recently posted a video of the cards I got:

http://youtu.be/ZhUlkw2LKSA

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:28 AM »

Wow, that's great! That was part of it! The Record Mart has those things hanging from the ceiling. A bunch of them in the front of the store. But I also remember a floor stand, probably made of cardboard, which held the records and tapes. You know, a stand up display. It incorporated the same rings and album cover. Maybe individual photos of the band, just like on the album cover.

I was 14 years-old in 1976. I guess I'm  part of the second generation of fans that discovered the Beach Boys through the 'Endless Summer' and 'Spirit of America' albums. '15 Big Ones' was my first 'new' Beach Boys album. I guess I heard about the new album being released. I still remember walking in  and seeing those rings and album covers hanging down and walking over to the display. Bought the album. It became one of my favorites.

Thanks for posting the photo. I'll have to watch Ebay for one of those. I guess I like those 1970's albums a lot because they were the 'new' Beach Boys albums for me. I only have a handful of bands that I ALWAYS buy the new albums or new releases from. The Beach Boys were always one of them.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:12 AM »

Again, thanks for posting that photo. As the years go by items like those are hard to find.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »

Again, thanks for posting that photo. As the years go by items like those are hard to find.

Ur welcome Sloop - I dont have this, I just recently saw it while browsing for the trading cards and I save pics of BB posters and stuff that interest me. Definately a "mobile" display designed to hang from the ceiling.

Necessity knows no law
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »

Wow, that's great! That was part of it! The Record Mart has those things hanging from the ceiling. A bunch of them in the front of the store. But I also remember a floor stand, probably made of cardboard, which held the records and tapes. You know, a stand up display. It incorporated the same rings and album cover. Maybe individual photos of the band, just like on the album cover.

I was 14 years-old in 1976. I guess I'm  part of the second generation of fans that discovered the Beach Boys through the 'Endless Summer' and 'Spirit of America' albums. '15 Big Ones' was my first 'new' Beach Boys album. I guess I heard about the new album being released. I still remember walking in  and seeing those rings and album covers hanging down and walking over to the display. Bought the album. It became one of my favorites.

Thanks for posting the photo. I'll have to watch Ebay for one of those. I guess I like those 1970's albums a lot because they were the 'new' Beach Boys albums for me. I only have a handful of bands that I ALWAYS buy the new albums or new releases from. The Beach Boys were always one of them.
Thanks SloopJohnnyB,  It's nice to hear somebody say 15 Big Ones was a favorite around here.  And I agree, buying the records as they came out in store is something newer fans will never get to experience in today's marketplace.  That kind of promo push is over.  Can't find the records either.  What stores are left won't carry many new releases, or only one copy.  MIC was a good example of that, the new book, these cards too.  How hard was it for you to find last years stereo/mono issues?  My Best Buy and B&N had a few, and Target none.  Even in the 90's they were breaking open boxes, handing them out to first day buyers.  Waiting in line to get "your" copy.  Asking the clerks for the "promo" slicks, stand-ups and whatnot (those Beatle moving heads counter displays from 1964 come to mind) - much more exciting to have in hand, on the day.  When can we get it on Spotify, the "download" deal, or buying on Amazon has exactly zero excitement for me.  Now, if you're just waiting to see if the price will drop...maybe.  Or the UPS truck...   Some "special" extras are offered, but that's rare.  I can still look forward to something coming out, but it's not the same.  In fairness, I will add that my 13 year old nieces get real excited about "artists" like One Direction, but by then they were just hating on "last year's model"/ the Jonas Bros., Beiber, whoever - it's not like waiting for the years it took to get 15 Big Ones into the stores.  And they don't get the kind of hard copy promo stuff that was afforded to records up to the mid-2000's when B&M fell off the face of the earth.  I read somewhere here the other day that there is no Virgin store in London.  Well, we still have the trader shops.
Thanks from me too for the photo of the Big Ones' promo.  I do remember it.  I was not able to get one.  Even back then clerks were selling to the highest bidder.  In 1976 Zeppelin and Wings got top dollar.
Since this is about the cards, I will say, buy only for what YOU think they are worth.  I have a banana box full of cards from the 80's/90's.  Anybody here have the Roger Rabbit or Universal Monster sets?  Those import James Bond?  Very few of them increase in value. I'm glad to have them though.  And all my Beatle cards hold special value, to me.  If the Beach Boys would have got the offer back in the 60's, I would have bought them... now, those would be worth big bucks.  If I see a pack of the new ones,  I'll get some.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »

I have one of those. And quite a few other posters and ads and frisbees and buttons and other stuff promoting 15 Big Ones. There's a 4' x 4' poster among others. Also have a "Love You" mobile (same size as the 15 Big Ones) and a 4' x 4' of that album among other posters and other sh*t. It helped to kiss the asses of people working at the record stores or knowing retailers at the record swap meets. Warners didn't hold back on their promotion of the Beach Boys records in the 70's. A lot of in-store paper items and other promotional stuff. Same with the CBS/Caribou records.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »

Thanks SloopJohnnyB,  It's nice to hear somebody say 15 Big Ones was a favorite around here.  And I agree, buying the records as they came out in store is something newer fans will never get to experience in today's marketplace.  That kind of promo push is over.  Can't find the records either.  What stores are left won't carry many new releases, or only one copy.  MIC was a good example of that, the new book, these cards too.  How hard was it for you to find last years stereo/mono issues?  My Best Buy and B&N had a few, and Target none.  Even in the 90's they were breaking open boxes, handing them out to first day buyers.  Waiting in line to get "your" copy.  Asking the clerks for the "promo" slicks, stand-ups and whatnot (those Beatle moving heads counter displays from 1964 come to mind) - much more exciting to have in hand, on the day.  When can we get it on Spotify, the "download" deal, or buying on Amazon has exactly zero excitement for me.  Now, if you're just waiting to see if the price will drop...maybe.  Or the UPS truck...   Some "special" extras are offered, but that's rare.  I can still look forward to something coming out, but it's not the same.  In fairness, I will add that my 13 year old nieces get real excited about "artists" like One Direction, but by then they were just hating on "last year's model"/ the Jonas Bros., Beiber, whoever - it's not like waiting for the years it took to get 15 Big Ones into the stores.  And they don't get the kind of hard copy promo stuff that was afforded to records up to the mid-2000's when B&M fell off the face of the earth.  I read somewhere here the other day that there is no Virgin store in London.  Well, we still have the trader shops.
Thanks from me too for the photo of the Big Ones' promo.  I do remember it.  I was not able to get one.  Even back then clerks were selling to the highest bidder.  In 1976 Zeppelin and Wings got top dollar.
Since this is about the cards, I will say, buy only for what YOU think they are worth.  I have a banana box full of cards from the 80's/90's.  Anybody here have the Roger Rabbit or Universal Monster sets?  Those import James Bond?  Very few of them increase in value. I'm glad to have them though.  And all my Beatle cards hold special value, to me.  If the Beach Boys would have got the offer back in the 60's, I would have bought them... now, those would be worth big bucks.  If I see a pack of the new ones,  I'll get some.

You're right about being a new fan and the record store thrill. I really am jealous of that experience, as being a newer fan as of 2000. I do get a thrill when going to my usual record/antique stores and looking for what Beach Boys products are available, but it's def not the same as the experiences older fans have.

The whole record store promo items, that sounds like a new thread that should happen unless one has already been started. All I have, that was given to me, is the front cover posters for the LA album. It's 6 different posters of each postcard on the front cover- LA, Beach Boys sign, Lady Lynda, Here Comes the Night, Sumahama, and Full Sail.

Anyone have those? I know LA was promoted like no other album, promo records, tshirts, frisbees, and so on...so they might not be worth much, but to quote Boba Fett: "it's (he's) worth a lot to me."

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

I have those. In addition to a promo set of 6 actual postcards from the L.A. Light album cover. Also have the 4ft. by 4ft. poster of L.A. Light.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

You're right about being a new fan and the record store thrill. I really am jealous of that experience, as being a newer fan as of 2000. I do get a thrill when going to my usual record/antique stores and looking for what Beach Boys products are available, but it's def not the same as the experiences older fans have.

The whole record store promo items, that sounds like a new thread that should happen unless one has already been started. All I have, that was given to me, is the front cover posters for the LA album. It's 6 different posters of each postcard on the front cover- LA, Beach Boys sign, Lady Lynda, Here Comes the Night, Sumahama, and Full Sail.

Anyone have those? I know LA was promoted like no other album, promo records, tshirts, frisbees, and so on...so they might not be worth much, but to quote Boba Fett: "it's (he's) worth a lot to me."

You should start the thread, and get Mikie to post pics of all his stuff as a starting point!  

I have one of those. And quite a few other posters and ads and frisbees and buttons and other stuff promoting 15 Big Ones. There's a 4' x 4' poster among others. Also have a "Love You" mobile (same size as the 15 Big Ones) and a 4' x 4' of that album among other posters and other sh*t. It helped to kiss the asses of people working at the record stores or knowing retailers at the record swap meets. Warners didn't hold back on their promotion of the Beach Boys records in the 70's. A lot of in-store paper items and other promotional stuff. Same with the CBS/Caribou records.
I have those. In addition to a promo set of 6 actual postcards from the L.A. Light album cover. Also have the 4ft. by 4ft. poster of L.A. Light.

But I'm curious: The two of you are saying there are individual posters for each postcard? I don't remember seeing anything except the posters of the front cover.
 And there were 9 postcards, not 6( you probably just typed 6 instead of 9 by mistake) 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:25:16 AM by bgas » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

Since these new cards, in fact every new card pack sold, are sold in those shrink-wrapped and sealed packs, it's all but impossible to do the old dealer trick of opening and ironing the "wax pack" closed again after removing the valuable cards. But without any direct evidence or "secrets" to speak of, I'm still thinking there may be some way in the supply chain to identify possibly which runs of the cases, boxes, then packs of cards may be holding the real valuables versus the commons. If people are selling what's being called "hot packs" online, how do they know for sure the pack is "hot"? And how did they get those removed from the normal case of cards which were to go to the retailers for store displays?

There's that part of the chain which I as a kid collecting B-Ball cards had no clue about how it worked. You'd have the cases coming from the factory, shipped out. You'd have those cases perhaps going to a warehouse, and then depending on location to a distributor. We had one nearby who would supply all of the retail shops like the ones I'd go to for my cards, both stores and hobby shops too. They'd order and buy so many boxes which were the ones I'd get access to.

What I didn't realize was just how many interests we'd call "dealers" had access to those cases and boxes before they even hit the retail shelves to be bought as individual packs. And looking back, it was unusual to buy many packs and not get any of the hot "rookie cards" or the other valuables, while you'd go to a trade show and see very expensive sealed cello and rack-packs featuring the most expensive cards of the set staring at you through the cellophane. I thought at the time "How did THEY get that pack???" after I'd be at a retail shop and never see anything at all close to that kind of "hot pack" before hot-pack was even a term.

So I thought there was something up. And like the wax-pack debacles, it just felt like I wasn't getting a fair shake, and my access to the good cards was through paying a dealer his inflated price versus buying a retail pack and getting lucky in finding those good cards.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort with these BB's cards and packs, but in a hobby (and industry) that was fraught with collusion, inside deals, artificially inflated demands and values, and a general sense of smarminess among the bigger-money dealers, I wouldn't doubt there's a production or shipping code that can be cracked even before the packs of cards reach your local Target store for purchase. And as you see Ebay full of offers for the really good cards that you might buy a full case on your own initiative and never see, was it a total act of randomness and good luck that put those really special cards into the hands of the bigger hobby dealers versus someone at Target buying a few packs?

But I digress...as I said it's a fun pursuit, it's fun opening the packs, I used to enjoy the hobby, but it's not overall a hobby that brokers itself on goodwill and honesty. And that's not suggesting anything about these cards, but I'm just on the soapbox venting for a bit here. Old wounds, and all of that... Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx