gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:19:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 73311 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/10/first-look-2013-panini-the-beach-boys-trading-cards/

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

That's a neat collectible! I can see those being popular even among those who don't bother with trading cards. I had no idea such an item was even in the pipeline - count me in for the guitar picks.  Smiley

Of course if we could flash back to a few decades ago, we could take a vote on which band member's trading card would be most likely to end up flapping in the spokes of our bicycle wheels.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

The guitar pick cards do look pretty cool.

I'll definitely have to get me some Carl and Dennis cards!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »

The last time I collected trading cards of any kind, the Topps company was still putting that stale pink gum in the packs of cards.  Grin  I think these cards might end that self-imposed exile, at least until I score either the picks or an autograph.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »

Thanks for posting this.

I believe that if you buy an entire box you are guaranteed at least a  full set of cards and your chances are better in getting an 'extra' like and autograpgh or a pick. At least thats how some other card companies operate.

If you go to a card show or convention you are going to pay big money for the autograph cards so hopefully you'll be lucky and score one in a pack.

Looks like a high quality product. Nice to see things like this post BB50.

Here's another review site.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/panini-america-offers-detailed-first-look-at-2013-the-beach-boys-must-see-gallery/#more-61912
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:30:22 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »

Where does one buy these things, if there's no hobby or comics stores locally?

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:52 AM »

They aren't up yet for pre order but I'm sure they will be available on the panini website. I think you'll have to purchase an entire box, though. Nice collectable.

http://www.paniniamerica.net/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »

Blowoutcards.com will probably have it. They're a big online card site.

I cannot wait for this. Collecting trading cards is one of my favorite hobbies. If the price is right, I may even buy a case.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »

I cannot wait for this. Collecting trading cards is one of my favorite hobbies. If the price is right, I may even buy a case.

How many boxes, generally, are in a case?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »

'Xcuse my ignorance, but are the autograph cards likely to be genuine signatures or simply prints?  (We don't have quite the same card collecting culture in the UK!).

“We live in divisive times.”
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »

The signatures should be genuine, not prints or copies.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:59 AM »

And the picks are therefore actual picks, not mere images?Huh

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »

How many boxes, generally, are in a case?

It depends. The standard is usual 10 or 12.

And the picks are therefore actual picks, not mere images?Huh

They will be real picks. Whether they have been used or not isn't clear.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

…  and if I get a Brian Wilson card do I have to feed him and take him for walks?

Grin

Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. Perhaps not driven to start collecting, but back in the days when I earned half-decent money I might've bitten!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »

I'm sure the autographs are legit, but the picks are probably not "used" but rather commemorative or collectible-issue picks. Which is still cool, I'd be in on that, but they don't appear to be stage picks.

It's a neat development and neat product, the only red flag I saw was that the Beach Boys cards are following up similar releases that included a Justin Beiber commemorative card set.

The autographed card "bonuses" were one of the ways the trading card industry reignited interest in what was a self-made drop in the hobby due to overprinting and flooding the market when it was at a peak in the late 80's. When I was in it, there were certain very collectible current releases because they kept the printing runs low and the the supply was lower than the demand. Around 1987 the Topps company literally flooded the market in an attempt to cash in, then Fleer and Donruss (whose parent company is the one putting out the BB's release) followed suit by overprinting sets starting around 1988. Where their sets were in high demand due to lower availability, they flooded the market around '88 and it tanked.

Eventually after the baseball market was further harmed by the drug-addled frauds who were once the heroes of the game and of the card industry, the companies came up with a genius plan to start adding bonuses into the packaging. The bonuses could be autographed cards, very rare or valuable vintage cards, or other historical items like that.

The thrill of opening the packs went from the chance you'd get a Jose Canseco rookie card in the 80's to the chance you'd get a rare '52 Topps Mantle card or an autograph from a Hall Of Fame player stuck in the pack.

Smart marketing. It gave upscale collectors as well as people who didn't even collect cards an incentive to buy a pack, just like buying a lottery ticket with the chance you'd get a good bonus out of it.

And look how this Beach Boys set has already generated excitement here for people who might not even collect cards wanting to take a chance that they'll get one of the autographed bonuses? Good stuff. Kudos to them.

I used to collect baseball cards in the 80's...fortunately like the stock market, in a bout of financial good luck I haven't had since, I bought low and sold high, just before the market collapsed...and was able to fund some really nice musical equipment for a kid to have in his teens.  Smiley I still have one box of stuff I kept, though, for sentimental reasons.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

Very enlightening guitarfool2002 and much appreciated.  Makes me even more interested!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »

How about a 1966 Topps Brian Wilson baseball card?  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »

Whoa!  Trade you for nine and a half cards depicting of Al Jardine in the dentist's waiting room!

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »

Here we have Brian demonstrating the technique of a lead pipe to the knees of a professional autograph seeker. As taught by Bruce Johnston
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »

This actually piques the interest of the dormant collector in me, but I fear for those not in the US this could prove extremely expensive, or is there a chance this will be available worldwide?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

This actually piques the interest of the dormant collector in me, but I fear for those not in the US this could prove extremely expensive, or is there a chance this will be available worldwide?

Same here. Help! Be on the way!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »

I need to know where to buy these on preorder.  I want like 20 cases.  Hoping to pull autograph or especially the concert used clothing pieces.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »

That's awesome. I'd kill for a 1975 Topps Brian with him in a robe with those multi colored borders surrounding him  LOL
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

this one cracks me up
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »

Alright so lets clear this up once and for all if possible.  Is Brian Wilson a Yankees or a Dodgers fan because I've heard it both ways.  I've read that Mickey Mantle was his boyhood idol but I've also heard his rooting allegiance was to The Dodgers.  Can anyone confirm which way he swings?  Was he like many California Boys a Dodgers convert when they moved out to Los Angeles?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx