gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681106 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:44:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 73553 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »

Thanks to bgas for the item number for Target. I tried it at a couple of Targets but no luck. I tried another Target last night and didn’t even need to check the number, the box of cards was right there on the shelf.

I have a “hobby” box coming in the mail, but I thought I’d have some fun and pick up some “retail” packs just for kicks. I bought about a dozen packs. Apparently, according to the “retail” box, there is only one “guitar pick” card per box (considering they are arguably less interesting than the clothing swatches from the “hobby” box, I’m surprised there’s only one per box instead of at least two). I didn’t pull any picks in the packs I grabbed. Most importantly, I was finally able to get a general impression of the set.

The base set is pretty fun as far as the pics used. I’m getting a kick out of the some of the awkward, goofy 70’s and 80’s pictures they are using for these cards. I love the circa ’79 photo of Brian with the “Help Me Rhonda” shirt with the epically grizzly beard. That would have been the last photo I would have ever thought they’d use for a trading card set. They refreshingly haven’t just settled on album cover shots and standard early 60’s photo shoots. There are some nice shots of the guys (I liked one of the concert shots of Carl that appeared to be from the late 80’s or early 90’s), and some enjoyably embarrassing shots, like shots from the “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” video shoot.

As for the insert cards, again knowing that there’s no way to collect them all, I was still a bit disappointed at the lack of a great deal of the more visually interesting inserts. First of all, the “one gold foil card in every pack” is bogus. I wasn’t aware of this until I saw these cards in person, but they’ve taken every single card in the base set and most of the sub-sets, and created a variation (is this what the “parallel” cards are?) consisting of a tiny gold foil logo in the corner of a dude on a surfboard. This folks is  your “one gold foil card per pack.” I didn’t know that there was one per pack until I saw the packs in person, so my expectation of an awesome shiny cards in every pack was only prolonged for the car ride home. No big deal.

The truly visually interesting insert cards I managed were a couple of the “etchings” (I got Carl and Dennis; they literally used a photo of Carl circa 1978 when he has that sort of drunk look on his face), and several of the “record” cards focusing on specific albums, which are cut differently than the other cards. I got some of the other inserts as well, some of the “In their own words”, “Sounds of Summer”, and a few others. I also got a number of packs with the blank “slugs.” As someone else pointed out, the “slugs” occasionally can turn out to be actual rare cards, but considering that the vast majority are apparently blank and meant to throw people off, I’m wondering, mathematically, if your only intention is to pull any “chaser” card (and not just the super rare chunky ones like an autograph), perhaps statistically it’s better to skip packs that clearly have a “slug” in them? This would give you zero chance at the super rare ones, but increase your odds of getting some sort of desirable chaser card. But I don’t know if that math is accurate. I don’t know how often the “slugs” are actually slugs, nor do I know if they still put other super rare cards in packs that also have a slug (for the life of me, I can’t remember if, for instance, the “etching” cards came from packs with or without slugs).

But opening these cards was great fun, took me back to my childhood collecting Panini sticker books and basketball cards. I can’t imagine buying these and leaving everything sealed, and I’m someone who probably enjoys buying something in its original packaging and just sticking it on a shelf more than some. But for something like this, if you keep the box sealed, you’ll never even know if you have any of the rare cards anyway.

It’s probably best I don’t get autograph cards, because as bad as it sounds considering how much I’m enjoying these cards, if I actually pulled a Brian autograph and could really sell it for like 400 or 500, I’d be tempted to do it. Easier for me to say since I have a few of his autographs already.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »

Thanks to bgas for the item number for Target. I tried it at a couple of Targets but no luck. I tried another Target last night and didn’t even need to check the number, the box of cards was right there on the shelf.

But opening these cards was great fun, took me back to my childhood collecting Panini sticker books and basketball cards. I can’t imagine buying these and leaving everything sealed, and I’m someone who probably enjoys buying something in its original packaging and just sticking it on a shelf more than some. But for something like this, if you keep the box sealed, you’ll never even know if you have any of the rare cards anyway.

It’s probably best I don’t get autograph cards, because as bad as it sounds considering how much I’m enjoying these cards, if I actually pulled a Brian autograph and could really sell it for like 400 or 500, I’d be tempted to do it. Easier for me to say since I have a few of his autographs already.

ahh, for me, that's as good a point as any.  I'm keeping them sealed( I have a retail box on the way)   
When all is said and done, and everyone has opened theirs, then the ones folks can't find will be in my sealed boxes, right? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »

I'm just gonna get a retail box, leave it sealed, and call it a day. Dunno if I really need a "hobby" box. I already have the Beatles Topps gum cards from the 60's and 3 boxes (2 sealed) of the Beatles River Group cards from the 1990's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »

Thanks for the post Hey Jude -- I really didnt know you can get "parallel" card in every retail pack.

I guess the gold surfer isn't that exciting but they also are easy to come by as I got a few in my hobby packs, tho not 1 in every pack. Hobby packs are most likely to have a diecut "album" or etching or other bonus type card that isnt just a photograph.

As for the "blank" slugs I would still buy those thicker retail packs as they might contain guitar picks. I still do not know if an auto card is "thick" -- need to message a seller and get that info.  Printing plates are rare and Artists Proof cards are a limited number.

My Target store was sucky and didnt have them at all. I might check again tho as they also have a Starbucks. yum!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:20:43 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

From comments so far, if you're looking at this strictly as a value/investment purchase, I'd leave the box and the packs sealed. They'll be worth more in the long terms than opening the packs looking for the bonus inserts. And from these early reports it seems like they're being a bit tight-fisted with the bonus inserts.

I would have thought the opposite would have been the case. It's a niche market for a niche product, priced higher than average cards...why not include more of those swatches of Al's paisley shirts or Mike's turban or the guitar picks for the loyal customers buying the cards?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »

From comments so far, if you're looking at this strictly as a value/investment purchase, I'd leave the box and the packs sealed. They'll be worth more in the long terms than opening the packs looking for the bonus inserts. And from these early reports it seems like they're being a bit tight-fisted with the bonus inserts.

I would have thought the opposite would have been the case. It's a niche market for a niche product, priced higher than average cards...why not include more of those swatches of Al's paisley shirts or Mike's turban or the guitar picks for the loyal customers buying the cards?

Al's shirt was SO small they could only get a few swatches....

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

From the perspective of a collector trying to acquire the desired pieces though (like me) I have to open the pack to see whats in it!!  OTOH I might keep a couple of sealed packs for the heck of it. But it would be tough to hang on to a sealed box and keep it sealed.  I am not a sealed item collector at heart. I open stuff, eventually.  Razz

Undoubtedly, that sealed box might be worth $$$ big bucks $$$ in the future -- to sealed item collectors, as its not any more likely to have great "hits" inside than any other box.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »

Al's shirt was SO small they could only get a few swatches....
Oh, you are bad - picking on little Al... whoops!  Roll Eyes

Necessity knows no law
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »

From the perspective of a collector trying to acquire the desired pieces though (like me) I have to open the pack to see whats in it!!  OTOH I might keep a couple of sealed packs for the heck of it. But it would be tough to hang on to a sealed box and keep it sealed.  I am not a sealed item collector at heart. I open stuff, eventually.  Razz

Undoubtedly, that sealed box might be worth $$$ big bucks $$$ in the future -- to sealed item collectors, as its not any more likely to have great "hits" inside than any other box.

From what you've opened so far, would you say it was what you expected in terms of getting some of the "bonus" items, or has it fallen short of what you thought would be in the packs? I ask because it seems like there are less of the bonuses than I would have expected from reading this thread. I'd expect to hear a report of at least one bonus card!

Seriously, a piece of Al's shirt isn't a '52 Topps Mantle or anything, right? Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

From what you've opened so far, would you say it was what you expected in terms of getting some of the "bonus" items, or has it fallen short of what you thought would be in the packs?

GF - Didn't know what to expect when i purchased a box but the contents lined up with bgas posts about the hobby boxes. I got a couple of etchings, 2 concert gear (fabric relic), some parallel cards and die cut cards. So I would say "no bonus" in that box as that would be an auto, printing plate or artist proof etc and I didnt get any of those.  There are a lot of common cards but they are all interesting and enjoyable.

Buying a box still seems to be a better value to me than a so-called Hot Pack on ebay for $10 and up.

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »

From what you've opened so far, would you say it was what you expected in terms of getting some of the "bonus" items, or has it fallen short of what you thought would be in the packs?

GF - Didn't know what to expect when i purchased a box but the contents lined up with bgas posts about the hobby boxes. I got a couple of etchings, 2 concert gear (fabric relic), some parallel cards and die cut cards. So I would say "no bonus" in that box as that would be an auto, printing plate or artist proof etc and I didnt get any of those.  There are a lot of common cards but they are all interesting and enjoyable.

Buying a box still seems to be a better value to me than a so-called Hot Pack on ebay for $10 and up.

I've asked some sellers on Ebay, and not gotten a really good response; so what IS a "Hot pack" or a "parallel card" ?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »

I've asked some sellers on Ebay, and not gotten a really good response; so what IS a "Hot pack" or a "parallel card" ?

I don't have a pack in front of me, but I read the bit about the inserts either there or online and came away with the impression that the cards with the little surf logo are the parallel cards, essentially a whole second version of most of the cards.

A "hot pack" appears to simply be a dealer term, meant to indicate that they claim that there is a guarantee that a designated bonus card is in the pack. Quickly reading up on this, it appears this is shady at best. They could be honest and, having opened up the majority of a box of cards, feel by process of elimination the remaining packs have the bonus cards. But they could be wrong. Or worse of course if they are knowingly running a scam. How would a buyer prove that they didn't get a bonus card and then claim they didn't? What if Panini just packed a wonky pack?

It appears some "hot packs" from the other card sets can be sold based on literally feeling a desired card within the pack. That seems less likely with this Beach Boys set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

I don't have a pack in front of me, but I read the bit about the inserts either there or online and came away with the impression that the cards with the little surf logo are the parallel cards, essentially a whole second version of most of the cards.

A "hot pack" appears to simply be a dealer term, meant to indicate that they claim that there is a guarantee that a designated bonus card is in the pack. Quickly reading up on this, it appears this is shady at best. They could be honest and, having opened up the majority of a box of cards, feel by process of elimination the remaining packs have the bonus cards. But they could be wrong. Or worse of course if they are knowingly running a scam. How would a buyer prove that they didn't get a bonus card and then claim they didn't? What if Panini just packed a wonky pack?

It appears some "hot packs" from the other card sets can be sold based on literally feeling a desired card within the pack. That seems less likely with this Beach Boys set.

one dealer told me you could "feel"  the bonus cards, by holding the pack on it's side and feeling the indentation. I then pointed out I had opened just such a pack and all it had was a blank slug; no more response from that seller....

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

So much for that!

Well I guess I dont have to worry about bid wars with you bgas, since I am interested in the "open stuff".  Wink

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

So much for that!

Well I guess I dont have to worry about bid wars with you bgas, since I am interested in the "open stuff".  Wink

Good luck!!

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

So much for that!

Good luck!!

Win anything tonight? I see some guitar picks went for kinda nutty prices compared to what Ive seen before.

Necessity knows no law
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »

I've picked up the autographed cards of Bruce and Brian so far.  A few of the Al Jardine autographed cards and at least one of Mike's have hit the secondary market.  I haven't seen any of the David Marks autographed cards surface yet.  The Brian Wilson autographed cards are limited to only 65, and the Bruce, Al, and Mike autographed cards are all limited to 70 each.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

Speaking as a non-american, this whole card thing seems weird but in a good way. Knock yourself out guys. Enjoy!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

Got a Al Jardine lettered guitar pick and he is wearing the White Suit in the photo.  Wink

I don't think I will get a Br___Wi___ auto unless its by sheer good luck. 

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2013, 12:40:12 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

So much for that!

Good luck!!

Win anything tonight? I see some guitar picks went for kinda nutty prices compared to what Ive seen before.

Not me, I'm not bidding on that stuff. 

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »

Any Canadian fans located these in our Target stores here?  I have had no luck in Calgary, Alberta so far...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »

Any Canadian fans located these in our Target stores here?  I have had no luck in Calgary, Alberta so far...

I have looked in 3 Target stores in Indiana and no soap.

Cant find Retail packs in retail stores. Go figure.  Roll Eyes

Necessity knows no law
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »

I didn't get any autographed cards in my set, but I did get a card with a snippet of Brian Wilson's shirt in it, as well as one with David's. Still haven't found any retail cards on sale around here... yet.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »

Going to Wal-Mart today. Will report if I find any.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »

I didn't get any autographed cards in my set, but I did get a card with a snippet of Brian Wilson's shirt in it, as well as one with David's. Still haven't found any retail cards on sale around here... yet.

It appears pretty random which Targets get them. I've checked four in my area, and two had them. So it may not even be a regional thing.

I'm also perplexed on the guitar picks. They come one per box instead of two, and I've bought almost a box worth and didn't get one. This makes me think the clothes swatches are more common than the picks. But there are a lot of picks on Ebay, and going for less than swatches.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx