gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:24:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 72516 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »

In terms of getting a complete set, I believe a full box of the cards guarantees that you'll get a full base set.

I got a kick out of these when they came out; beyond strange. It was fun when they were at some Target stores for a short time. The best part is that they didn't just use the same stock photos we see all the time; they used some weird and occasionally unflattering 1970s and 80s pics of the guys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »

Too funny - I got a pack of these cards this year as a gift too! My first pack ever, and I have to say they're pretty damned cool. I may have to seek out one of those stores selling them, it took me back to my days collecting baseball cards in the early 80's.

I even scored one of those apparently one-per-box "gold" etched cards...no autographs or stage clothing/guitar pick cards, but still I have to say I was pretty psyched to get that etched gold thingy. Not bad for a one in eight chance per pack!

The cards are neat even if you don't collect cards (seeing one of Brian playing bass in the 70's sporting his red and white Rhonda t-shirt was a surprise), and I'd say open the packs if you get them. Life is too short to stare at sealed packs instead of flipping through the cards to see what you got in the pack.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »

Ok, here's the update you are all clearly clamouring for;

Opened full hobby box. Got full 120 set with loads of gold surfer imprints, 2x Clothing Cards (Al and Bruce), 1x Artists proof, loads of cool little collections.

Then my friend came round and we got drunk and made this with the swaps....

How was your Friday night?

Was it a piece of Bruce's old op shorts?  Was is corduroy??

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 28, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »

Good price!
http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_87&products_id=8647

Cook pork throughly
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »

Wow has it been 6 years since these came out? I collected them a few months and quit.

Betcha they are worth just about what I paid....or less!  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
KDS
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »

I actually found a few packs at The Dollar Tree recently. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »

That's a pretty good deal for a box!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »

That's actually pretty tempting. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »

True story - Yesterday after getting that pack of cards for Christmas, I had business near two Dollar Trees. I ended up finding some packs at the second location, but at the first I didn't see any on display. I asked the person working the register if they had any trading cards, Beach Boys trading cards. Without missing a beat, she picked up the PA/intercom phone and made an announcement over the store PA: "There is a customer here who is asking if we have any BEACH BOYS TRADING CARDS"...waited for a bit...then from the back of the store comes a faint "no...".

It reminded me of Monty Python's "Cheese Shop" sketch for some reason.  Grin The only words missing were "we're fresh out of those..."

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »

Wow has it been 6 years since these came out? I collected them a few months and quit.

Betcha they are worth just about what I paid....or less!  LOL
Came out in 2013.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »

True story - Yesterday after getting that pack of cards for Christmas, I had business near two Dollar Trees. I ended up finding some packs at the second location, but at the first I didn't see any on display. I asked the person working the register if they had any trading cards, Beach Boys trading cards. Without missing a beat, she picked up the PA/intercom phone and made an announcement over the store PA: "There is a customer here who is asking if we have any BEACH BOYS TRADING CARDS"...waited for a bit...then from the back of the store comes a faint "no...".

It reminded me of Monty Python's "Cheese Shop" sketch for some reason.  Grin The only words missing were "we're fresh out of those..."

lol that is pretty funny.  I can only imagine the look on people's faces who were in the store.   LOL
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »

John Cleese shoots the Dollar Tree manager and rides off on Al Jardines horse
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2016, 12:42:10 AM »

Okay, I gotta hit the Dollar Tree tomorrow. I assume the cards go for a dollar a pack.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »

Dollar a pack, yes.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »

Dollar a pack, yes.
I dropped by 2 of the Dollar Trees today. One didn't have them; the other just had an empty box. Will keep looking.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »

Dollar a pack, yes.
I dropped by 2 of the Dollar Trees today. One didn't have them; the other just had an empty box. Will keep looking.
I've been to 2 more, still no luck, unless they want to sell me the empty box.
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »

I opened a box and found this cool card.  How rare is it?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

If it's one of 4 actual plates used to print those cards, I'd say you got a pretty cool find, 1 of 4! Has to be more valuable than the average cards, although I have no clue on value - check Ebay perhaps? Haven't been into the trading card market for almost 30 years since I sold most of my sports collection to buy a new Telecaster.  Smiley

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »

I keep checking those Dollar Tree stores; found one pack a few weeks ago; found another one yesterday. I don't have many of the cards, less than 50. For a dollar a pack, though, it's a good investment.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »

There are only a few examples of the "Plate" cards on eBay at the moment, but it looks like they go for the $35-$40 range, give or take.

I suppose that makes sense. There are presumably four plate cards for each of the 120 (not sure if there are plate cards for the non-base set cards), so there are at least 480 total plate cards out there.

It appears, not surprisingly, that the autographed cards (even if not as rare as any single "Plate" card that is technically one of a kind) are the most sought after and seem to go in the $150-$200 range; occasionally higher (usually Brian cards), and occasionally lower (sorry, Dave).

I still totally got a kick out of these cards. After I bought a bunch of packs at Target, and then a box online, I kind of lost steam because it's impossible to collect all the chase cards without dropping way too much money. But the cards were so bizarre and out of left field; we're pretty lucky they ever happened. Considering prices have dropped on eBay and boxes can be had for cheap and leftover stock is being funneled out to "Dollar Tree" stores, I'm guessing the cards probably didn't sell super well. So I'm somehow doubting we'll get a "Series 2" set.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »

There are only a few examples of the "Plate" cards on eBay at the moment, but it looks like they go for the $35-$40 range, give or take.

I suppose that makes sense. There are presumably four plate cards for each of the 120 (not sure if there are plate cards for the non-base set cards), so there are at least 480 total plate cards out there.

It appears, not surprisingly, that the autographed cards (even if not as rare as any single "Plate" card that is technically one of a kind) are the most sought after and seem to go in the $150-$200 range; occasionally higher (usually Brian cards), and occasionally lower (sorry, Dave).

I still totally got a kick out of these cards. After I bought a bunch of packs at Target, and then a box online, I kind of lost steam because it's impossible to collect all the chase cards without dropping way too much money. But the cards were so bizarre and out of left field; we're pretty lucky they ever happened. Considering prices have dropped on eBay and boxes can be had for cheap and leftover stock is being funneled out to "Dollar Tree" stores, I'm guessing the cards probably didn't sell super well. So I'm somehow doubting we'll get a "Series 2" set.  LOL
The sets must have flown off the shelves of Dollar Tree, though, cause I keep checking the stores, and have only got 2 packs so far. But they've got tons of baseball, football and WWF cards.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »

I've had better luck @ the last couple Dollar Tree's I've visited. Got 6 packs at one, 3 at another. Now I am getting a lot of duplicates. I don't expect to ever get a complete set, just going to give the duplicates to a friend.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx