gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:21:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Trading Cards !!  (Read 73266 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »

Alright so lets clear this up once and for all if possible.  Is Brian Wilson a Yankees or a Dodgers fan because I've heard it both ways.  I've read that Mickey Mantle was his boyhood idol but I've also heard his rooting allegiance was to The Dodgers.  Can anyone confirm which way he swings?  Was he like many California Boys a Dodgers convert when they moved out to Los Angeles?

I think he mostly liked the Yankees because of Mantle but as you said, he could've switched because when he first started rooting, there was no MLB west coast baseball (there is the pacific league though.)

By the way, the Beach Boys aren't the first musical act to get trading cards. Elvis had it first (Elvis is the musical "Simpsons did it."):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-ELVIS-PRESLEY-4-CARD-LOT-PSA-GRADED-/271289270787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a19c203
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

Answering a request from Wrightfan:

Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »

this one cracks me up

Ashamed to say I had the same reaction!

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 05:53:04 AM »

Answering a request from Wrightfan:

Grin

I love it  LOL
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:09 AM »

Pre-sell is up. $65 for one box and $1300 for a case of 20 boxes:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_84&products_id=8647

http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_104&products_id=8646

One box it is  LOL
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »

runnerz might rather have these cards: http://store.paniniamerica.net/entertainment/hello-kitty.html

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

Gor notice my box shipped yesterday

Wish me luck
maybe I score with an autographed Brooth card

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »

Interesting that if you buy 20 boxes, your discount is exactly $0.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »

yea well thats the breaks. hopefully your purchas appreciares in value.

Necessity knows no law
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »

I need to know where to buy these on preorder.  I want like 20 cases.  Hoping to pull autograph or especially the concert used clothing pieces.
job,  What's your job?  That's 20 x $1300.  Sure there must be a cheaper way to get Brian's autograph.  I looked over at Ebay to see how much my Beatles 1993 River Group set is worth, and it's not much for the base set.  Except for the chase and promo sets, those were big bucks.  A sealed box is going for $40.  I didn't even see the #1 Hits Gold Record cards, so those must be holding their value.  I did collect a variety (movie, NASCAR) back in the late 80's/early90's, but not to re-sell.  As was said, the market bottomed out.  A big-time card collector friend helped me, so I didn't have to buy boxes, he did.  After seeing those prices for the promo cards, maybe I will think about selling some of them.  guitarfool2002, I too love your Brian mock-up.  Is that a glass of milk?  Or, a shake?  Wink
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:21:01 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »

The Bruce Johnston Commemorative Guitar Pick cards all have his name misspelled on the pick.  The picks all have "Bruce Johnson" printed on them.  It's hard to believe that they didn't catch this slip up.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »

Got this from a friend this evening; he says there are two completely different sets of cards, Hobby and Retail. ( I've only seen the Hobby for sale by box lot)

>>In each box that I bought, I got the whole basic set of 120 cards. However, there are so many subsets to these card that if one tried to get everything, you would end up spending thousands of dollars. With the subsets, there are over 800 cards all together.  They are already on e-bay, some of the autographs are listed for a lot of money.  To make things more difficult to collect everything, is there are both Hobby and Retail boxes. I bought the Hobby boxes. In the Hobby boxes exclusively, you will get 2 Concert Gear cards, which are swatches of material from Shirts worn by the boys in concert. The Retail boxes have guitar picks. In both the hobby and the retail boxes you have the opportunity to get Autographs, although they are very limited. On E-bay sellers are selling packs. On the front of the pack, on the right near the top, it will either say Hobby or Retail. << 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »

Going only by what's turning up on the secondary market, it looks like the guitar pick cards are much more common the than the Concert Gear cards.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »

Hmm one of the Brian cards is on ebay now. Buy it NOW

for $459.00  Tongue

Necessity knows no law
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »

These trading cards are kind of neat, but really weird, and ultimately kind of annoying. I don’t want to speak on behalf of Beach Boys fans, but comparing to other “fan bases” that would collect such cards (I dunno, “Walking Dead” fans or “My Little Pony” indie nerd fans, or something), the BB fan base just doesn’t seem as ripe for this sort of trading card exploitation. There are certainly plenty of BB fans that will buy them, but other than a hand full of hardcore collectors, the type that collect every 60’s Beach Boys single variation including alternate label perimeter print, I don’t see a lot of fans chasing the 680 variant cards (if the previous post is accurate).

And it’s turning into a lot of other “limited” collector pieces; Panini isn’t making the money on the secondary market for grossly inflated prices. I’m not trying to sounded jaded, but is the person currently willing to pay almost $200 for the Al Jardine autographed card aware that you can get a Jardine signature for much less? He used to send them out for free to fans when he had a fan club. I got one from him while he was eating a chocolate ice cream cone before a gig one time. I’ve talked to fans who simply send requests to him in the mail and get autographs back. I know the card has value as a collectible too, but wow.

My main interest in this kind of stuff often comes from the fact that the Beach Boys don’t license merchandise that often, especially if you discount stuff sold at the merchandise booth on tours. They’ve licensed the odd tree ornament here and there. They did those diecast cars like 10 or 15 years ago. There are a few other odd things over the years. But it is fun to see even the possibility of a hobby shop selling a card set featuring weird 70’s pictures of the Beach Boys.

If a base set can be obtained by buying a box, I’ll probably bite at some point and pick up a box. The only good thing about there being potentially 680 chase cards is that it is impossible to get them, so it’ll be easier to not try!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »

Seeing that the cards went up for sale before I even got notice of shipping the retail dealers must have gotten early shipments.

When a Retail pack sells for more ($17.00) than what one costs in a full box it looks like for the present there is money to be made by purchasing the cards in bulk and reselling single cards or packs.

Hoping that I will get the "hobby" sets since I did buy a box online. Some of the fabric swatches are less exicting than others (black fer instance) but I did notice a colorful-swatch Brian Concert Gear card sold for close to fifty dollars.

Looks like the BBTC are off to a good start!

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »

Seeing that the cards went up for sale before I even got notice of shipping the retail dealers must have gotten early shipments.

When a Retail pack sells for more ($17.00) than what one costs in a full box it looks like for the present there is money to be made by purchasing the cards in bulk and reselling single cards or packs.

Hoping that I will get the "hobby" sets since I did buy a box online. Some of the fabric swatches are less exicting than others (black fer instance) but I did notice a colorful-swatch Brian Concert Gear card sold for close to fifty dollars.

I'd bet on everyone that's buying the box sets getting "Hobby". I haven't found anywhere online that's advertising boxes of "Retail" for sale; perhaps you actually have to be a store to get them? 

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »

I'd bet on everyone that's buying the box sets getting "Hobby". I haven't found anywhere online that's advertising boxes of "Retail" for sale; perhaps you actually have to be a store to get them? 

Yep just got my Hobby Box -- cards of note are Brian and Al Concert Gear but no Autographs. For some reason some of the paks have "slugs" thick white card stock like Concert Gear cards but totally blank. You can weigh the unopened packs to locate them.

Now I just want another box... Sad

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

Yep just got my Hobby Box -- cards of note are Brian and Al Concert Gear but no Autographs. For some reason some of the paks have "slugs" thick white card stock like Concert Gear cards but totally blank. You can weigh the unopened packs to locate them.

Now I just want another box... Sad

Amazon?  ( or is it lack of $$) 
Target is definitely selling individual retail packs for $2.99 each
Blowout Cards had 20 boxes( and some cases)on Ebay with free shipping, but they sold four boxes and canceled the listings...

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »

I have to check out Target then thats not a bad price considering people are bidding $10 and up on ebay for the exact same thing, or is there really something as a "hot pack" like they advertise?

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »

I have to check out Target then thats not a bad price considering people are bidding $10 and up on ebay for the exact same thing, or is there really something as a "hot pack" like they advertise?

Guess I should have checked the packs closer?   
They had one box, at the store I went to. All 24 packs were in it, but as I want a sealed box and it wasn't, I glanced at them and set them back. 
Maybe have to go back tomorrow and see if any say Hot Pack  ( unless they're all sold out....)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:46 PM »

Suddenly buying a pair of soiled BBs Y-fronts online, cutting then into a million pieces and glueing each to a playing card seems profitable…

Anyone yet got any actual … wassit called, that stuff? … oh yer - music out of this?

Sorry, I think I'm getting old… Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »

They had one box, at the store I went to. All 24 packs were in it, but as I want a sealed box and it wasn't, I glanced at them and set them back. 
Maybe have to go back tomorrow and see if any say Hot Pack  ( unless they're all sold out....)

bgas, what part of the store do you find them in? I am going after work to see what I can find. There are no Guitar Picks in the Hobby packs. I also got a couple of Etchings in my box, the Smile Record but no Artist Proofs etc.

Necessity knows no law
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:35 AM »

I think I know why some packs have the blank "slugs". Its to fool you, so you cant tell a pack has something special just by the weight or feel of it. Of course a pack that weighs less is sure NOT to have concert gear inside.

Since Ive only seen pics of the autograph cards,,,does anyone know are they thick like concert gear or standard thickness??

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 07:42:33 AM »

bgas, what part of the store do you find them in? I am going after work to see what I can find. There are no Guitar Picks in the Hobby packs. I also got a couple of Etchings in my box, the Smile Record but no Artist Proofs etc.

The store I went to has them on a rack just past the line of checkout registers.  went back this morning, and didn't see anything on any of the packs to signify "hot".
What I did notice: all 24 packs were still there; 17  of them were skinny and the other 7 were twice as thick. I bought those( they probably have the blank slugs)
opened one pack, and, indeed, it had a blank slug and 8 cards. FFF Top Ten Hits, and #'s 8,32,50,89,92,95 and 120
 So now the question is, do all the thick packs have blank slugs, or do some have real stuff?  ( should I keep or return them? I'm not opening them all to find 7 more slugs!)
On the back they list the card breakdown, and where to send away for your free card(s); hope it shows up readable here:    

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx