gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:50:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 109031 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »

Well, next spring will be here soon enough (...I'm still wondering where LAST spring went!). If this album is worth waiting for, let's give the guys a little time to get it done well.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like I might if someone was trying to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn.

I have that feeling too. It all seems like standard pre-album press hype to me. That's how the game works. You're recording an album with a guy whose greatest days are probably, given the balance of probabilities, behind him. What do you do? You talk up the work-in-progress by suggesting that it pays homage to, or is in some ways the successor to, the artist's greatest works from way back in the day. This is Brian, so we get the suggestion that this is the third part of a trilogy comprising Pet Sounds and SMiLE. If this record turns out anything like that, cynical old me will eat a capacious fedora entirely composed of wine gums, as that's a pretty tall order, right there. Talk about a tough act to follow.

(although a little, untarnished voice inside me says... wouldn't it be nice? Just imagine we DID get a record that lived up to THAT description. Wow!)

Back in the real world, Joe Thomas is also seriously off on his Beach Boys history, which doesn't give me much confidence. To wit: "He looked at life as three different movements. One was 'Pet Sounds,' the other was 'Smile' and then, he wanted to go out with a bang and have a look back at life from an adult. 'Pet Sounds' was when he was just a kid. 'Smile' was when he was a little more savvy and in the business awhile. And now, this is a guy looking back at life and where he is now"

Those last three sentences makes it sound like Pet Sounds was recorded REALLY early on, SMiLE somewhere in the middle of Brian's career, and this new thing now. As if we got Pet Sounds in 1963 (round about where the Surfer Girl album REALLY happened), SMiLE in about 1976 where Love You actually was, and now we get this. Whereas actually Pet Sounds and most of what we recognise as definitely belonging to SMiLE happened within 16 or 17 *months*, from November 1965 to Spring 1967.

The real killer would be if we heard this kind of stuff before the release, and then the album turned out like Imagination. There's nothing worse than someone reaching to the skies with the hype, suggesting we're gonna see some kind of amazing rocket ship released... and then eventually the day comes, the hangar doors creak open... and there's a paper plane sitting there.

...Actually, I guess that's kind of what happened with SMiLE, and then Smiley Smile, isn't it!!  Wink   Except I think the paper plane in that instance was a lovingly folded thing of beauty covered in charming childish drawings. Perhaps a better analogy would be: you're pumped up to expect some sort of 'You Only Live Twice' funky planet-eating super-rocket of some sort, and when the sliding false top of the volcano launch base slides back to the accompaniment of lots of complicated John Barry ninth chords and you finally get a peek in, there's a poorly assembled, mass-produced Kinder Surprise toy plane sitting all alone in the silo surrounded by lots of space. And a dazed Brian mumbling something about doing a Spectoresque rock and roll album next time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:46:14 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »

They must have recorded a lot of sh*t if Beaches in Mind, The Private Life, etc. made it on

I may be in the minority here, but "Bill and Sue" is a very fun and catchy track, and it has a sense of humor - something that Brian's always had. There was quite a bit of humor on Smile on songs like Barnyard and Vegetables.  "Beaches in Mind" is also catchy, it has excellent vocal harmonies (better than what you hear on 99.9% of records made today), and its theme is appropriate for a 50 year reunion.

TWGMTR is an album that's grown on me. It has as much of a "plot" as Pet Sounds did. It starts with relection about the past and present, as is appropriate for a 50th reunion. The songs speak of the happiness of the past and the brief joy of a reunion, when those fun times can be re-lived.  As it would happen in a real 50th reunion, there is talk about good times of the past, and even some humorous lament about the stupid TV shows that young people watch nowadays (a typical feeling of older people).  There is a desire to rekindle old relationships ("Shelter"). Soon, however, it's time for the reunion to end, and we begin to realize that the old relationships won't be rekindled, as much as we repeatedly pray that they will ("Daybreak Over the Ocean", "From There To Back Again").  We then want simply to escape and have fun ("Beaches in Mind"), but it can never be like the old days - the people are just different, and the world is different. ("Strange World") . We had fun at the reunion, but we can never go back. We are left alone to face our old age, telling ourselves that maybe we're better off alone anyway.  ("Pacific Coast Highway") . The reality sinks in; the reunion is over, and it's time to face real life again.  ("Summer's Gone")
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »

They must have recorded a lot of sh*t if Beaches in Mind, The Private Life, etc. made it on

I may be in the minority here, but "Bill and Sue" is a very fun and catchy track, and it has a sense of humor - something that Brian's always had.

Ah, hell, I'm gonna 'come out', here — I like Bill & Sue, too. It sounds a leeeeeedle bit close to 'South American' from Imagination for my taste, but I think it's great. Mind you, I like 'South American'. One of the few tracks on Imagination I can sit through quite happily.

Beaches In Mind is probably TWGMTR's weakest track, but c'mon, this is from a guy who put THAT version of Louie Louie on SD,V.II, and finished off the sublime Side 2 of Today with the sound of the band getting a hamburger and pickle delivery, rhapsodising about French bread, and talking about raw lambs' heads with the hair burnt off...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:23:51 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »

You know the article did say that other artists involved have yet to be named.

Who would you guys like to see featured on the album?
Who do you think would realistically be featured on the album?

I could hope for some Mike and Bruce involvement but I highly highly doubt we will get it.
Also I feel like really anyone could be named. Before anything came up about Jeff Beck
He would have been one of the last people I guessed....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »

"[Brian is] already thinking about the album he wants to record after he finishes the current one. 'I would like to do a rock 'n' roll album, the Phil Spector type of rock 'n' roll,' he says. 'I'm interested in doing a rock 'n' roll album, something that would make people clap and be happy.'"

You don't say, Brian.  Roll Eyes

Sure. That's what he said after his last album was released. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that....

First recorded sighting of Brian's R&R album - summer 1999.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »

Wow. Okay guys, they just compared this to Pet Sounds AND Smile... Holy........

I mean, Blow by Blow is incredible, hell, most of Beck's stuff is... and we know Brian... This is seriously making me VERY hopeful.

Keep in mind that Al compared TWGMTR to Pet Sounds and that Bruce compared it to Sunflower. While there were moments on the album that could remind you of those two, it was obviously quite different. I don't think "Bill And Sue" sounds like anything from those two. So I wouldn't really expect this album to be the third in a trilogy.

Rather, I'd expect it to be another great collection of new Brian Wilson songs following up TWGMTR. Probably a few new things that will blow our minds, maybe a few embarrassing things, some vocals that sound positively beautiful, some vocals that sound like they maybe shoulda been redone, etc. You know, a latter day Brian Wilson album.

That would be 'new' as in 'newly recorded', as Brian has stated in a recent interview that none are newly-written.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »

"[Brian is] already thinking about the album he wants to record after he finishes the current one. 'I would like to do a rock 'n' roll album, the Phil Spector type of rock 'n' roll,' he says. 'I'm interested in doing a rock 'n' roll album, something that would make people clap and be happy.'"

You don't say, Brian.  Roll Eyes

Sure. That's what he said after his last album was released. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that....

First recorded sighting of Brian's R&R album - summer 1999.

I'll take it back even further than that, Andrew. When I first got my Sweet Insanity tape, way back in '92, there was a radio interview tagged onto it that Brian did, slightly before then, where he also mentioned wanting to record the notorious "rock and roll" album.

(Or...was it him just wanting to record a song that went "A rock. A roll. A rockin'-and-a-rollin'," and which he also sang a few bars from? My mind is cloudy. Though, I do seem to recollect a mention of him working with Carole King on it.)

I also remember one aspect of that live radio interview, vividly, because he said the "f word" twice by mistake...with no bleep to catch it! Good ol' Brian...lol!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »

Grin

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 12:14:49 AM »

This is all just hype. Brian already did the 3rd part of his trilogy, TLOS. Now if the new album in any way compares with that one in quality, I will be impressed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »

It'll certainly be instructive, and possibly amusing, to compare the finished product with the pre-release publicity.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 03:00:32 AM »

Absolutely. A certain amount of skepticism is necessary (for me at least).

Since Imagination was released, and my incontainable excitement turned to crushing disappointment and disillusionment,  I've learnt to not expect much. That way I sometimes get to be pleasantly surprised, like I was when TLOS came out of nowhere.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 04:06:11 AM »

Part 3 of a 'trilogy' that also contains Pet Sounds & Smile? Mmm, I smell hype machine in full throttle.

Personally I find the description of the new songs as "fusion jazz rock with Brian singing, 'oohs' and 'aahs' " more compelling. Fusion jazz rock doesn't seem part of the familiar BW hype lexicon which suggests this might be an honest attempt to do something creative and experimental. Even if it's godawful which wilsonized fusion jazz rock has the potential to be, at least it sounds like he's defying expectations and going with his muse.

The life suite comments are also heartening. The pessimist in me worries that we might've had the cream of the crop from the life suite already, but those few songs on TWGMTR were so unexpectedly brilliant that anything in a similar vein would be welcome. I wonder if the TWGMTR life suite songs will be included in the album, ignored, or re-recorded or what.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:07:22 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 04:09:21 AM »

So I wouldn't really expect this album to be the third in a trilogy.

I even fail to see the connection between Pet Sounds and SMiLE as part 1 and 2 of a trilogy. Pet Sounds and TLOS, yeah, maybe.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »

I'm very curious as to what this is going to turn out as.

I loved the part of the life suite we were given on TWGMTR. I'd personally put it somewhere in between Today and Pet Sounds in terms of how much I liked it. Those three songs were Brian Wilson songs. Personal, beautifully constructed pieces of music. It had the magic.
I feel hopeful coming from that. There are 4 Beach Boys singing on the album too. Aside from the songs not being fantastic, I don't think much could go wrong with it.

Anyway, we're apparently going to be hearing atleast one of the tracks on the Jeff Beck tour, we'll get some insight to the album from that.

Strange though, that of the 25 songs, none of them are newly written? I find that really weird. I thought that between Brian and Jeff (Beck.) they had created some great creative chemistry. When I heard about that, I figured they were writing new songs together.

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »

we've been referring to the 25 tracks that are in the can already and that they are going back in the studio in the spring.. Let's not forget the 3 CD plan that they announced not that long ago.. With the Life Suite as one of the CD's so lets just see what happens.. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:56:36 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »

IIRC, Joe Thomas had the nerve to compare "Happy days" to Smile. So I don't think we should take this "trilogy" concept very seriously, although this could be (as in comic books) "retroactive continuity", just like when Brian, on every BWPS interview, talked about "the three movements" of Smile
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:20 AM »

That would be 'new' as in 'newly recorded', as Brian has stated in a recent interview that none are newly-written.
Didn't he also claim that one of the songs was titled 'He Come Down'? I wouldn't take what Brian says in an interview as the gospel truth.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »

Didn't he also claim that one of the songs was titled 'He Come Down'? I wouldn't take what Brian says in an interview as the gospel truth.

Now it was posted that Brian confirmed that  'He Come Down' is not the same song as 'He Came Down' from CATP, but could it be a reworking of "God Did It"( I think that was the title)  from the Paley sessions?
I throw that out there if its true nothing is newly written...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »

Brian Wilson - the man who crafted Girl Don't Tell Me

Grin

Thanks for the link. Sounds interesting. We'll have to wait and see. They mention that other guests might be involved. Maybe that could be Mike and Bruce on a few tracks. Maybe also Matt Jardine.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:59 AM »

Wow. Okay guys, they just compared this to Pet Sounds AND Smile... Holy........

I mean, Blow by Blow is incredible, hell, most of Beck's stuff is... and we know Brian... This is seriously making me VERY hopeful.

Keep in mind that Al compared TWGMTR to Pet Sounds and that Bruce compared it to Sunflower. While there were moments on the album that could remind you of those two, it was obviously quite different. I don't think "Bill And Sue" sounds like anything from those two. So I wouldn't really expect this album to be the third in a trilogy.

Rather, I'd expect it to be another great collection of new Brian Wilson songs following up TWGMTR. Probably a few new things that will blow our minds, maybe a few embarrassing things, some vocals that sound positively beautiful, some vocals that sound like they maybe shoulda been redone, etc. You know, a latter day Brian Wilson album.

And you really would take Brian's word in that? Especially given that we know some of the songs recorded are improvisatory instrumentals driven by Jeff Beck? Almost by definition, those can't be old tunes.

My suspicion is that it will be along the lines of TWGMTR -- about a third of the songs being older, a third refashioned in some way (new lyrics or arrangement approach), and a third newly written.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »

Now it was posted that Brian confirmed that  'He Come Down' is not the same song as 'He Came Down' from CATP, but could it be a reworking of "God Did It"( I think that was the title)  from the Paley sessions?
I throw that out there if its true nothing is newly written...

I believe that Howie posted that the songs were different and that Brian didn't have a title for the new one.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »

In terms of hype, I don't trust JT in the least. But TWGMTR was a far better record than I expected, and the guests should prove interesting.

To my mind, Brian has proved, with TLOS, BWRG and TWGMTR, his latter-day creative worth. These three records, released over five years, are the best stretch he's put together since the 60s. Or the mid-70s, if you count Adult Child. No, he's not super prolific as a songwriter. But his studio vocals, vocal arrangements and production work have delivered the goods.

I expect no less here. But if it sucks, we still have a batch of quality latter day BW material to appreciate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:30:25 PM by Wirestone » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »

I have that feeling too. It all seems like standard pre-album press hype to me. That's how the game works. You're recording an album with a guy whose greatest days are probably, given the balance of probabilities, behind him. What do you do? You talk up the work-in-progress by suggesting that it pays homage to, or is in some ways the successor to, the artist's greatest works from way back in the day. This is Brian, so we get the suggestion that this is the third part of a trilogy comprising Pet Sounds and SMiLE. If this record turns out anything like that, cynical old me will eat a capacious fedora entirely composed of wine gums, as that's a pretty tall order, right there. Talk about a tough act to follow.

Utterly spot on Matt. Everything BW's done for the last umpteen years has been "y'know, it kinda has that Pst Sounds vibe to it" or "it's really reminiscent of Pet Sounds…" yadda yadda.

It's marketing bollocks and JTs potentially setting BW up for a fall if be album sounds nothing like PS or Smile or doesn't meet expectations in that regard. Doing him no favours.

I look forward to assessing it on its own merits. I don't really want part three of a trilogy that was never a trilogy in the first place.

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Yeah, why doesn't Joe Thomas badmouth their work and say it's reminiscent of the worst tracks from Imagination instead?! It's almost like he's doing press interviews in support of their product or something!

I'm just glad we've got Brian, Al, David, and Blondie in a studio recordin' tracks. In 2013. Seems a bit surreal to see that entry on The Beach Boys Family and Friends (lawsuit pending) Timeline, really.

The Beck noodling with Jardine/Brian chanting oooo ahhh etc sounds fine by me, I'm not expecting Pet Sounds. But you can't blame 'em too much for being ambitious and excited.

Once Jeff Beck gets bored and their management starts hating each other, they should consider doing the suite live in late 2014-2015ish. Especially with Al on board with "From There to Back Again." A good way to tie up the loose ends and present it as a continuous whole. That'd make for a really special tour and a nice way to continue their work together.

Then we can begin crafting dueling playlists of "the suite" from RADIO, the solo album, live stuff, etc. Sighing over what could've been for the ensuing decade.

Altho, really -- what's actually happening isn't really that bad, huh? C'mon, Greek Theatre! Run James Run, muthafuckas!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:37:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »

Well, next spring will be here soon enough (...I'm still wondering where LAST spring went!). If this album is worth waiting for, let's give the guys a little time to get it done well.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like I might if someone was trying to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn.

(although a little, untarnished voice inside me says... wouldn't it be nice? Just imagine we DID get a record that lived up to THAT description. Wow!)

Back in the real world, Joe Thomas is also seriously off on his Beach Boys history, which doesn't give me much confidence. To wit: "He looked at life as three different movements. One was 'Pet Sounds,' the other was 'Smile' and then, he wanted to go out with a bang and have a look back at life from an adult. 'Pet Sounds' was when he was just a kid. 'Smile' was when he was a little more savvy and in the business awhile. And now, this is a guy looking back at life and where he is now"

Those last three sentences makes it sound like Pet Sounds was recorded REALLY early on, SMiLE somewhere in the middle of Brian's career, and this new thing now. As if we got Pet Sounds in 1963 (round about where the Surfer Girl album REALLY happened), SMiLE in about 1976 where Love You actually was, and now we get this. Whereas actually Pet Sounds and most of what we recognise as definitely belonging to SMiLE happened within 16 or 17 *months*, from November 1965 to Spring 1967.

The real killer would be if we heard this kind of stuff before the release, and then the album turned out like Imagination. There's nothing worse than someone reaching to the skies with the hype, suggesting we're gonna see some kind of amazing rocket ship released... and then eventually the day comes, the hangar doors creak open... and there's a paper plane sitting there.

...Actually, I guess that's kind of what happened with SMiLE, and then Smiley Smile, isn't it!!  Wink   Except I think the paper plane in that instance was a lovingly folded thing of beauty covered in charming childish drawings. Perhaps a better analogy would be: you're pumped up to expect some sort of 'You Only Live Twice' funky planet-eating super-rocket of some sort, and when the sliding false top of the volcano launch base slides back to the accompaniment of lots of complicated John Barry ninth chords and you finally get a peek in, there's a poorly assembled, mass-produced Kinder Surprise toy plane sitting all alone in the silo surrounded by lots of space. And a dazed Brian mumbling something about doing a Spectoresque rock and roll album next time.

PART I: IMAGINATION
PART II: THAT'S WHY GOD MADE THE RADIO
PART III: THIS THING

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx