gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 12:02:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Do you consider David Marks to be a founding member of the Beach Boys?
Yes - 37 (55.2%)
No - 11 (16.4%)
Sort-Of - 19 (28.4%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was David Marks an Founding Member of the Beach Boys?  (Read 38764 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »

I think Dave seems like a nice guy and a good guitarist. However I must say that during C50 when Dave said, "we've all been together constantly, but never together physically, and when we do we pick up right where we left off", and "when the five of us get back together, the magic bubble comes over us", or words to that effect, I felt like it was slightly re-writing history. I know that the BBs were happy to allow the "original lineup back together" image to run, but I slightly balked at that.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

You do have a point but I remember after the roof top reunion of 06 when I think Jon Stebbins said when the 5 got together there was a real group feeling, which was interesting as they had never been in that line-up before.

edit. This from 2006

Smiley Smile Stuff / General On Topic Discussions / Re: First Pics of Beach Boys Capitol Get Together  on: June 13, 2006, 10:44:01 PM 

Today was the first time since Carl died that I looked at these guys and they looked like the "Beach Boys" to me. Just the way they interacted as a group. It wasn't like I was watching five individuals...but a very exclusive club. I can only relate it to how the Beatles seemed in those early press conferences...the collective brain thing. When the five of them were with each other today it was obvious it felt good to them. Brian Wilson was having a great time...he was joking around and smiling the whole time. He and Mike seemed to have some very warm exchanges, and Mike made a point of telling the gathering that Brian was the reason the Beach Boys did great things. Brian made a point of saying the BB's were the greatest artists he could ever imagine producing...the ultimate vehicle for his music. I handed David the photos of Carl and Dennis and suggested he pose with them...and Mike got into the spirit and soon Al was there...they all wanted to make sure Dennis and Carl were included in the day. Dave made a comment to the gathering of how they were like brothers to him, and Brian seemed to affirm the statement with a nod of approval. I was blown away by the comeraderie they all displayed. When a clueless Capitol exec. asked David to step out of the shot so the "original" four could pose...Bruce, Al and Mike nearly threw the guy over the side of the building. Two of them shouted "f*** that...that's bullshit...get back in here David". It was like that all day...al for one...one for all. I never would have beleived it...but I saw it with my own eyes.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:31:57 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

You do have a point but I remember after the roof top reunion of 06 when I think Jon Stebbins said when the 5 got together there was a real group feeling, which was interesting as they had never been in that line-up before.

edit. This from 2006

Smiley Smile Stuff / General On Topic Discussions / Re: First Pics of Beach Boys Capitol Get Together  on: June 13, 2006, 10:44:01 PM 

Today was the first time since Carl died that I looked at these guys and they looked like the "Beach Boys" to me. Just the way they interacted as a group. It wasn't like I was watching five individuals...but a very exclusive club. I can only relate it to how the Beatles seemed in those early press conferences...the collective brain thing. When the five of them were with each other today it was obvious it felt good to them. Brian Wilson was having a great time...he was joking around and smiling the whole time. He and Mike seemed to have some very warm exchanges, and Mike made a point of telling the gathering that Brian was the reason the Beach Boys did great things. Brian made a point of saying the BB's were the greatest artists he could ever imagine producing...the ultimate vehicle for his music. I handed David the photos of Carl and Dennis and suggested he pose with them...and Mike got into the spirit and soon Al was there...they all wanted to make sure Dennis and Carl were included in the day. Dave made a comment to the gathering of how they were like brothers to him, and Brian seemed to affirm the statement with a nod of approval. I was blown away by the comeraderie they all displayed. When a clueless Capitol exec. asked David to step out of the shot so the "original" four could pose...Bruce, Al and Mike nearly threw the guy over the side of the building. Two of them shouted "f*** that...that's bullshit...get back in here David". It was like that all day...al for one...one for all. I never would have beleived it...but I saw it with my own eyes.

Sad. I'm sure that something like that won't happen again for David
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »

That's a good point. But wasn't that sense of it really being the Beach Boys more about Brian and Al being in the same place as Mike? As far as I know that hadn't happened since Carl's death.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx